Code of Conduct

Default Similar Scents that just Can't Hold a Candle to the Original

There are a myriad of "similar scent" threads on the boards, and almost as many "vintage vs. reformulation" threads as well. So I know I'm treading in dangerous waters with this thread, but a recent experience lead me to want some opinions. At this point it's probably well known (or not, who knows) my love of Frederic Malle Angeliques sous la Pluie. It's also probably just as well known my frustration with it's seemingly non-existant longevity/sillage. I've been sampling for a long time now, scents that are supposedly similar, starting with Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil (umm no!) and ending with Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee, (noticing a pattern, I'm looking at you Mr. Ellena!). I've just come to the incredibly unfortunate conclusion that none will match the subtle brilliance of AslP. Un Jardin en Mediterannee is BY FAR the closest, almost bordering on self-plagiarism, but it lacks something in AslP, it seems heavier on the cumin, but less bright and green, ever so slightly fruitier (I'm assuming the addition of the fig). I guess I'm just going to have to accept the flaws of AslP and enjoy it for what it is. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any similar experiences?
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 18th August 2009 at 04:19 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Dependent

Default Re: Similar Scents that just Can't Hold a Candle to the Original

Good thread! I think from personal experience, Grey Flannel is not bad, but just not as good as Fahrenheit. Many have said they are similar, but i personally find otherwise. I do realise that GF was released much earlier than Fahrenheit.
    Last edited by MFJ; 18th August 2009 at 04:19 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Cool Water is not bad as well, though cannot hold a quality candle to Green Irish Tweed Its been said once, its been said a thousand (or more?) times: Similar initial top-notes/smell, then Creed quality trumps.

*quietly creeps away from the anti-Creed mob*
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I usually love Parfumerie Generale, but Ether de Lilas rather strikes me as someone aiming to make another En Passant and failing horribly.

Cool Water and to a lesser extent Chez Bond are poor copies of GIT. I think CW is the same as GIT, if you add equal parts windex and celery to it.

Contrary to the groupthink here, Unbound and PE Red 360 smell terrible and not as good as AdG (Which I dislike in the first place)
    Last edited by Big Punisher; 19th August 2009 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Cool Water is not bad as well, though cannot hold a quality candle to Green Irish Tweed Its been said once, its been said a thousand (or more?) times: Similar initial top-notes/smell, then Creed quality trumps.

What perfaddict said!

Cool Water is not, never has been, and never will be as beautiful and as well constructed as Green Irish Tweed. For the first 20 minutes they are similar fragrances, operative word similar. After that, Cool Water deteriorates into a very cheap and synthetic feeling compared to Green Irish Tweed.

I did the classic left arm Cool Water right arm Green Irish Tweed test to finally put this debate to an end, at least for me.

I will go to my death over this.

Green Irish Tweed!

Flibustier is a great ambery -mossy scent but just not as intense as Ignis

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

Have to agree my exact thoughts.