Code of Conduct

Default Balsam Fir fragrance

Does anyone know of a fragrance that smells like balsam fir or balsam fir incense?

Every summer I like to burn balsam fir incense in my house, and I'd like to get a fragrance that smells like it, or like freshly cut balsam fir. Members from New England may be familiar with "Paine's Fir Balsam Incense", which is manufactured in Auburn, Maine, and is my favorite incense.

Please, no long lists of niche incense fragrances. I know there are 50 million incense fragrances from Montale, MPG, whatever. I'm specifically looking for balsam fir. I'm not expecting a lot of responses, but it's worth a try.

Odysseusm, are you there?
    Last edited by shamu1; 15th August 2009 at 11:36 PM.

Default Re: Balsam Fir fragrance

Agraria Balsam?

I've sampled the room spray, which is nice and possibly close to what you're seeking. But I think there's a wearable EDT/EDP, too (?)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Also DSH Hinoki (which is quite different from the CDG/Monocle scent of the same name)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Have you searched threads in the Coneheads group?

Link to group:

http://community.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=52

But Ody is da man for sure.
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 16th August 2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added link

Givenchy Insensé
    Nino Cerruti Pour Homme
    Oscar de la Renta Oscar for Men

Last edited by scentemental; 16th August 2009 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Givenchy Insensé
    I have Insense and it's a superb scent, but I don't smell anything like balsam fir in it. It smells more like a floral with some wood notes. Is balsam fir listed as one of the materials?

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I have Insense and it's a superb scent, but I don't smell anything like balsam fir in it. It smells more like a floral with some wood notes. Is balsam fir listed as one of the materials?
    Honestly, do you really think I would recommend it if it wasn't?

I can clearly distinguish the fir balsam in Insensé.

Insensé notes from Osmoz.com

Insensé notes from Basenotes Directory

Insensé notes from www.parfyym.pri.ee (where Kanada Balsmam = Canada Balsam = fir balsam)

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 16th August 2009 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Agraria Balsam?

I've sampled the room spray, which is nice and possibly close to what you're seeking. But I think there's a wearable EDT/EDP, too (?)
    My ears are tingling...

PaulSC is right on the money. Agraria does have a lovely EdC. Get thee to the Agraria website & order it... you won't be disappointed. They also have great bar soap and shower gel. Go for it!

For comparable purity of tone to Agraria, I think you should investigate good dry-resinous incense juice. Now none of these are balsam fir specifically, but they are kissin' cousins. The following come to mind -- they are resin soliflores. Incredible!

Hinoki by CdG
    Incensi by I Profumi di Firenze
    Bois D'Encens by Armani Prive

PS -- Oops. In my severe eagerness I did actually recommend niche incense fragrances.
    But this is because they are so good! Well, file these on the back burner...
    Last edited by odysseusm; 16th August 2009 at 01:48 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I did a search of the BN directory under "Balsam". Of the scents listed, I can comment on the following:
    * Buckingham by Crown -- excellent, very interesting with cool coniferous notes.
    * Fou D'Absinthe -- well this is my favorite coniferous scent
    * Sud Est by Romeo Gigli -- a marvelous garrigue type of scent (lemon/herbal with a touch of conifer)

And Vintage by Vatarvos is listed. A smooth citrus scent. Nice but not compelling.

The issue is that the first three are great, I own each of them. But although I recommend them I don't know if they have the purity of tone you are seeking. They are complex scents with a lot goin' on, not just balsam fir. (I really do think you need to check out the niche incense scents... )

cheers, ody
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Honestly, do you really think I would recommend it if it wasn't?
    I can clearly distinguish the fir balsam in Insensé.
    FYI, Scentemental is Basenotes' very own Yoda. His advice is profound. Consider yourself lucky.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 16th August 2009 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I did a search of the BN directory under "Balsam". Of the scents listed, I can comment on the following:
    * Buckingham by Crown -- excellent, very interesting with cool coniferous notes.
    * Fou D'Absinthe -- well this is my favorite coniferous scent
    * Sud Est by Romeo Gigli -- a marvelous garrigue type of scent (lemon/herbal with a touch of conifer)

And Vintage by Vatarvos is listed. A smooth citrus scent. Nice but not compelling.

The issue is that the first three are great, I own each of them. But although I recommend them I don't know if they have the purity of tone you are seeking. They are complex scents with a lot goin' on, not just balsam fir. (I really do think you need to check out the niche incense scents... )

cheers, ody
    Thank you for the recommendations. I've got somewhere to start now.

I didn't mean that I didn't want ANY niche recommendations. What I meant was that I didn't want to get riddled with a long list of just any incense niche fragrances, since I already know there are countless incense frags in the niche market, and for the purposes of this post I'm only interested in balsam fir ones.

Thanks again.

Good, I hope those are helpful suggestions. One further thought -- I spritzed on some Agraria Balsam. It is really very good, with exceptional woody notes that seem very true to me. The one (slight) drawback IMO is that the drydown gets a bit sweet.

That (to my taste) is why the super-dry resinous scents are even better. They retain a lean austerity throughout their development. But I don't have a sweet tooth, in either food or scents. Others may find a sweet DD to be satisfying. To each his/her own.
    odysseusm

Although I don't mind sweet scents, when it comes to a true wood smell I'm looking for, I find that vanilla or other sweetness gets in the way.

By the way, I just finished burning a stick of the Paine's balsam fir incense, and the brown, sticky residue left on the little metal plate on my log cabin incense burner just smells heavenly. If only I could find this smell in liquid fragrance form.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    PaulSC is right on the money. Agraria does have a lovely EdC. Get thee to the Agraria website & order it... you won't be disappointed. They also have great bar soap and shower gel. Go for it!

I just read your review of this Agraria scent, and it sounds exactly what I'm looking for!

Do you or anyone else have a link where I can find this? I looked at LuckyScent, and they don't have it.

I just ordered direct from the company, they have a good website and good service.
    http://www.agrariahome.com/
    odysseusm

I was looking for some Agraria diffusers after reading your post Ody, and found taht Beautyhabit.com has a good selection.

Then, found this on sale which sounds amazing:

"Le Prince Jardinier - L'Eau du Prince Jardinier - 3.3 oz.

$80.00 on sale for $64.00

Epitomizing the unconventional elegance so beloved of its creator. L'Eau du Prince Jardinier marries citrus freshness with the woody aromas of a Canadian conifer - Balsam Fir. Leaving a subtle hint of leather on the skin, this is a distinctive fragrance with modern resonances... and a highly individual personality. "

Not familiar with this line but now I am curious.

(not afil)

Good spotting, 3xasif! I didn't know about Prince Jardinier. I see the line is in the BN database but no one has reviewed L'Eau. The notes (from Beautyhabit) are simply tangerine, angelica, and balsam fir. I wonder what contribution the angelica would make... if that (or something else) contributes the "subtle hint of leather."
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

I agree with ody, Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garcons x Monocle is my favorite scent featuring this note.

Basenotes Institution

I forgot one: Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain. Balsam fir, with gingerbread, spices and a tangy berry note. One of my favorite Aqua Allegorias.