Code of Conduct

Thread: Cabaret.

Blog Entries

Smile Cabaret.

I almost had forgotten how nice Cabaret by Gres is till this evening when I decided to use it as a fragrance for this evening. A quite unisex demure rose fragrance. If you have not tried this one your missing something in your life. Life is a Cabaret. Comments?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 19th August 2009 at 12:00 AM.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Cabaret.

I can only agree. It's an underrated scent, especially in terms of its use as a "masculine."

It is quite nice, but I found that it just lacked enough dynamism for me. Instead, I prefer Madness Natural Black, which is not as woody but includes exotic fruit notes (not sweet) that provide the movement that keeps me interested for hours.

I like it but it doesn't wow me.

I found it pleasant and nice, but it failed to move me. It's not really complex enough for my tastes, especially when interesting roses abound.

A cheap and wonderful pleasure. A nice, easy going, spicy rose accord.

How does it compare to Tenere and Insense?
    Last edited by zliang; 19th August 2009 at 01:32 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Insense is much more overall floral - many different kinds of flowers, plus it has that basil/fir thing that combined with the aldehydes give it a real sharp and soapy quality. Cabaret is slightly more plush and sweet, hardly any aldehydes present to my nose, and the spice part really combines nicely. Kind of like Rose 31 with no cumin/ambergris.

I've never smelled Tenere.

You know, I want to love it but find that it has an edge that repels a bit. It's like Parfum Sacre in this way. Two wonderful feminines that I can't quite get. So I hope that someone will challenge me on this and give me another way to smell Cabaret.
    Unfortunately, exactly the opposite just happened this afternoon. I was all excited about what I was reading as a bourbon note in Lonestar Memories, and I lifted my wrist to two of my daughters and one said, "Um, that's root beer, Dad." And the other said, "Yeah, Dad, straight root beer." They looked at me in kind pity. But so someone help with Cabaret, please. And don't tell me it smells like Dr. Pepper.

I also like the saltiness in Cabaret. It's a lovely, comfortable fragrance, and I think it will always be on my list of favorites.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Not terribly similar. Cabaret is much more of a straightforward, literal rose scent than either Ténéré or Insensé. Ténéré is far spicier and sharper smelling than Cabaret, and has prominent animalic and leathery elements among its base notes. Insensé is very green, peppery, and pleasantly bitter compared to Cabaret. Cabaret strikes me as being more along the lines of Parfum Sacré or Czech & Speake No. 88, but lighter, quieter, and simpler in structure than either.