Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances Known to Go Bad Quickly

Hello folks!
    I was wondering what are fragrances you guys know of that tend to go bad rather quicker than average
    first one on my mind is def Creed SMW
    I am not sure about the second, but it seems that ADP Colonia does too
    I had a sample of colonia that smelled nice and fresh, stored it in room temp in a dark area, 3 months later the top notes smell like vinegar

let me know!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Default Re: Fragrances Known to Go Bad Quickly

I think most citrus frags tend to go bad easily compared to other fragrance families. Even more so if it does contain more "natural" ingredients.

I've been here since 2003 so I'll go from there. I've had many fragrances before but this is the only period that I've stored the bottles properly.
    Since 03' and close to 200 bottle in total, the only things that have went off have been:
    Creed MI top notes gone only, it took about 2 years
    Creed SMW top notes only also about 2 years
    Trumper's GFT just fizzled out completely with no potency, happened in about 1 year.
    Bond 9 Riverside Drive.(this one was very rapid, I received it in a smaller Bond decant bottle, something they used to do for smaller quantities and it was totally rancid within 4 months.)???

I'd bet the Trumper contains more naturals as well as the Creed but how do you explain the Bond 9?
    Last edited by evogel; 19th August 2009 at 01:33 AM.

I have never had anything go bad on me. However, Creed is the biggest offender based on everything I've read in my two plus years on the board...

I just read this somewhere on BN a few days ago; Petite Cherie goes sour a few months after purchase.

No problem with AdP Colonia here.

But definite degradation of top notes on Creed's MI.

I had a bottle of Rocabar go on me, but it was stored in a bad place before I knew better.

Eau d'Orange Verte - lost topnotes.

Well Annick Goutal's Petite Cherie lost the spring in its step in about a year
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

I have never experienced this. I take good care of my collection, I have a Creed, Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie, it's over 3 years old, and it smells exactly the same as the day I bought it. I think that the problem is in buying a fragrance that is already slightly damaged due to poor storage conditions - light or heat - and it slowly degrades on your shelf from the initial damage. Just keep them in a cool, dark place and they last for a very long time.

I have heard the Le Labo range have sell by dates. I'm not sure what exactly has happened to them after this date has been surpassed though. Perhaps someone else that has some experience could shed some light on the issue.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    I have heard the Le Labo range have sell by dates. I'm not sure what exactly has happened to them after this date has been surpassed though. Perhaps someone else that has some experience could shed some light on the issue.
    IMO it's just a ploy to make the consumer use up his/her frag quickly so that they can come back for a repeat purchase. However to me, the Le Labo dates, don't mean nothing.

I've always had trouble with Chanel scents, especially when (natural) vetiver and bergamot/citrus notes are in it. I had a new bottle of Chanel Allure Homme Sport go bad after two years. I shouldn't say "go bad", but for the most part it has changed character, and not for the better IMO.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 19th August 2009 at 05:17 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I had a sample of colonia that smelled nice and fresh, stored it in room temp in a dark area, 3 months later the top notes smell like vinegar
    Watch out for samples in plastic - they'll eventually turn bad...

Knock on wood, I haven't had any full bottles turn on me yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    IMO it's just a ploy to make the consumer use up his/her frag quickly so that they can come back for a repeat purchase. However to me, the Le Labo dates, don't mean nothing.
    I have some Rose 31 which is 1month old and a bottle which is 10 months old. They're different. The older one smells more blended, more dark rose and less woodsy cedar. It hasn't gone bad at all, but the scent did change a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    However, Creed is the biggest offender based on everything I've read in my two plus years on the board...
    Exactly.

Personally, I'd never be to handle the multiple issues concerning Creed, i.e. batch variations, juice going off relatively quicker than other houses, fakes, retail/grey market shenanigans etc etc. Too many hurdles in a seemingly simple activity of just being able to enjoy the juice.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I bought a Dior Homme.. and it was off already.. though everyone smelled it.. but if the store can't smell it.. I got nothing..

* top notes gone btw *
    Last edited by Giustino; 19th August 2009 at 06:59 AM.
    unico grande amore.

Fendi Uomo
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    Fendi Uomo
    this one doesn't need to turn , its nasty straight up

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

It's all imagination.

Nothing has gone bad on me except a bottle of Versace Jeans Couture that cracked and was leaking/exposed to air. It ended up smelling like rubbing alcohol + cheap deodorant.. and it wasn't all that wonderful to begin with.

With regard to your AdP Sample I think sometimes the container is suspect, not the actual juice. Over the years I have seen Colonia given away in all sorts of little 2 or 3 ml bottles and/or tubes with plastic caps as well as with spray mechanisms. Some of them don't seem to be terribly airtight - probably true for some other store samplers, as well. Let's face it - these are meant to be used up pretty quickly so you come back and buy a full bottle . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 19th August 2009 at 08:18 AM.

yep Dimitri I have the same opinion. I still have half a bottle for 15 + years :-)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

The only one I've ever noticed to go bad quickly is Creed's Green Irish Tweed. Within 6 months of purchasing it, mine got smokier and "dirtier" in smell. It wasn't in its box, but was never in sunlight either.

Yes, Chanel Allure. Also Versace Dreamer is notorious for this.

Others will disagree...the reformulated Paco Rabanne PH...

What complicates it: you start with what for me is a reformulation (that I am not fond of) and then in not much time, even 5 months, stored OK...gets even more "off."

To be more precise, I think it is the rosemary/lavander...that sours...edged with tonka...that for me creates a kind of sour citrus illusion...that widens with time...
    Last edited by ortho123; 19th August 2009 at 11:53 AM.

well this thread makes no sense to me...i thought fragrances go bad only if they are stored in sunlight or in high temperatures?

so far none of my fragrances have gone bad on me, but has me worried maybe i should not have such a big collection because if i never finish a bottle eventually they will go bad before i get to finish and i do not even have a big collection

are these mentions of bad fragrances just small anomalies?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    are these mentions of bad fragrances just small anomalies?
    I do believe that the changes must have been drastic enough - in the case of the OP experiencing the vinegary smell in Colonia - for one to know for certain something has gone bad. Personally though, I have yet to experience any bad juice with my bottles. Even if there were slight changes to any of my scents, they must have been really insignificant to my untrained nose and thus inconsequential to me. I am slightly worried about the concerns surrounding Creed though.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I have some Rose 31 which is 1month old and a bottle which is 10 months old. They're different. The older one smells more blended, more dark rose and less woodsy cedar. It hasn't gone bad at all, but the scent did change a bit.
    This may actually make since since LeLabo mixes it up right then and there when you purchase it.
    It sits and macerates after the mixing and the longer it's gonna sit, the more it should deepen and truly become itself. Of course this may all be marketing and I don't know if synthetic ingredients are subject to this phenomena
    Otherwise, bad storage, sitting around for long periods in bad storage before you even get it, some natural oils going bad before others, bottles that let in air, etc. may account for something going off and other things remaining stable.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    This may actually make since since LeLabo mixes it up right then and there when you purchase it.
    It sits and macerates after the mixing and the longer it's gonna sit, the more it should deepen and truly become itself. Of course this may all be marketing and I don't know if synthetic ingredients are subject to this phenomena
    Otherwise, bad storage, sitting around for long periods in bad storage before you even get it, some natural oils going bad before others, bottles that let in air, etc. may account for something going off and other things remaining stable.
    I've always pictured them to be mixing from bottles with different labels...all of them containing the exact same liquid. Why would any company risk the fragrance they sell you smelling differently than the one you tested at the store? You'd constantly have to deal with people complaining about inconsistencies.

Anyway, their ploy to get you to throw something out after a year is even more absurd...especially when the sell bottles as large as 500ml (or whatever). Do those bottles "last longer"? Or are you expected to use the whole thing by the expiry date?

To get back on topic - I've never had one bottle go bad.

I have only ever had one perfume go bad - Britney spears "Curious"

The first bottle I got was the 100ml with the old fashioned style atomiser on it (dunno the proper name for it), so I thought it was because I had gotten something on it when I screwed it on the bottle, even though I was careful not to.

So after I tipped that out I got it in the 50ml which my daughter ended up using it all- you should see the bottle - it looks like it has a fungus or something in it.

Quality control must have been asleep that day.

Def would not buy it again, or any other Arden for that matter.

I have bottles of other perfumes that are 10+ years old and still smell fantastic.
    Last edited by Seremela; 4th September 2009 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Exactly.

Personally, I'd never be to handle the multiple issues concerning Creed, i.e. batch variations, juice going off relatively quicker than other houses, fakes, retail/grey market shenanigans etc etc. Too many hurdles in a seemingly simple activity of just being able to enjoy the juice.
    I buy my Creed from a high-volume decanter who goes through fresh-stock quickly. I get myself a 10ml decant of whatever one I feel like wearing. I could never go through a bottle quick enough, especially my favourites are the millisimes, which seem to be more prone to going off than the others.