Code of Conduct

Angry Canadian customs stole my flacon cap!!! >: O

Just received 2 fragrances in the mail today: Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche and Encens Flamboyant... both are new 100ml bottles.

Anyways, as I was inspecting the package, I noticed a faint scent coming from it.. First, I was scared that one of the bottles had broken; but the packaging looked alright so that probably didn't happen. My second guess was that a sample vial somehow leaked..

So I open the box up and find my two fragrances wrapped up in newpaper. I unwrapped the newspaper and it was very obvious now which bottle I was smelling: Encens Flamboyant.

The boxes were in good shape and the Annick Goutal sticker was still affixed to the top of the box. So I slice apart the sticker and open the lid of Encens and find a bare sprayer mechanism looking up at me: there wasn't a cap.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that the BOTTOMS of each box was tampered with.

Customs must have opened up my package, taken the fragrances out of their individual boxes, removed the cap from one of the fragrances, tested it, and forgot to put the cap back on. From what I can deduce, the entire package was thrown around and, since there wasn't a cap to stop the spray mechanism, the bottle of Encens would hit the top of its box and dispense some fragrance.

They pretty much stole my cap and I still had to pay $64 in customs/brokerage fees.

Pretty pissed off right now. There's practically no one I can complain to and I'm missing the cap to one of my new fragrances.

-______________-

I hate ups.
    I hate customs.
    Last edited by myaccolades; 19th August 2009 at 10:53 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Canadian customs stole my flacon cap!!! >: O

I am so sorry to hear that ! You have my empathy - I have had my fair share of rompings with customs ! They are pretty much a law unto themselves. Take a deep breath and put it down to life's experiences.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Doh...that really sucks. I wonder though, if customs had opened the packages and saw perfume, would they have been confiscated?? Not sure why they'd just keep the cap.

Who did you buy them from? I'd email them and ask what the package would have looked like when it left them....maybe they'll send you a new cap.

The charges though...that's appalling.

Sorry to hear about thist. Poor you, how disappointing.

Don't tell me- UPS delivered it? They are the WORST and charge $45 before duty/customs as a broker free. Horrible.

But I do agree it's weird that Customs would steal a cap. Maybe they inspected the perfume and the cap fell off and it didn't get replaced? Taking just the cap would be really random.

UPS is the worst...if someone uses them for delivery (Beauty Encounter I think?), I'll shop elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Sorry to hear about thist. Poor you, how disappointing.

Don't tell me- UPS delivered it? They are the WORST and charge $45 before duty/customs as a broker free. Horrible.

But I do agree it's weird that Customs would steal a cap. Maybe they inspected the perfume and the cap fell off and it didn't get replaced? Taking just the cap would be really random.

That really sucks, both about the charges and the missing cap . I've had a package go completely missing (although I can't really prove it was a customs issue) so I feel your pain. I've heard horror stories where the bottles have been confiscated and destroyed by customs, I wait with bated breath every time I'm expecting a package which are almost always from the States. I really don't understand the whole deal with classifying fragrances as "dangerous goods."

Hey everyone,

thanks for the sympathies!

I ordered the fragrances from hautelook.com

They were $52.50 a bottle so I grabbed two. Hautelook is actually a "middleman" type of deal.. You order from them, they order from the company at a discounted price, the item is shipped to them, and then they ship to you. Oh yeah, shipping to canada was $19 I think... I thought, fine, that's an ok price to pay.......But little did I know that they would ship via UPS!!!

I often avoid UPS at all costs but in this case, I didn't know UPS was going to be used to ship cross-border to me.

My UPS charges were CAD$64.49. The fragrances + shipping were CAD$138.85. I payed a little over $200 for two 100ml bottles of Annick Goutal. I don't know whether to think this is good or not because I was expecting to only pay around $70/bottle. I know ~$100 is still cheaper than retail but still!

Oh yeah, so I'm loving Ambre Fetiche and not so fond of Encens Flamboyant. I'm so pissed that I want to just sell off Encens right away because of all the negative associations I have with the bottle.

Sigh.

Btw, this is my first time posting in probably two years lol I'm glad to be back

It's a dangerous good because it contains alcohol.

Wanna hear another retarded example? The company I do accounting for produces fresh snack products. Recently, we need to ship fresh salsa via UPS. However, they said we can't do that until we provide a dangerous goods certificate or something like that.

Yes, salsa. For dipping tortilla into. Sooooooo dangerous -_____-"

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades View Post

Wanna hear another retarded example? The company I do accounting for produces fresh snack products. Recently, we need to ship fresh salsa via UPS. However, they said we can't do that until we provide a dangerous goods certificate or something like that.

That's too funny about the salsa, I didn't realize there was such an imminent threat.

Re: perfume as dangerous goods, yes I realize that, I've just noticed that people seem to have a fairly decent success rate with cross-border shipping that it makes me wonder why they even bother classifying it as such at all. It REALLY sucks the odd time they do check and something goes wrong but I've had many packages that arrived successfully with "perfume" clearly labelled on the customs declaration form that either weren't examined at all or they did a thorough job of resealing the package.

It depends what class of alcohol and what quantity as well. I work for a courrier service, and we do have to provide papers for dangerous goods, but we also ship for l'Oreal (distributes Armani, Ralph Lauren and other fragrances), and they dont need DG papers. What the OP described is very weird. It might seem like customs and courriers dont have the same standards as to what constitutes Dangerous Goods. Thats one of the reasons why I rarely buy online, or when I do I make sure its from Canada.

Well...welcome back! If it makes you feel any better, you still saved a ton of the retail...they sell them at the bay downtown and I believe they're in and around $200/bottle (can anyone confirm that?)

Don't sell the E&F though...it's the best of the original trio. Maybe someone will have an extra cap or something...or you could be sneaky and "forget" to put down the one you pull of the tester at the store. Kidding of course...I don't condone theft.

Hey everyone,

thanks for the sympathies!

I ordered the fragrances from hautelook.com

They were $52.50 a bottle so I grabbed two. Hautelook is actually a "middleman" type of deal.. You order from them, they order from the company at a discounted price, the item is shipped to them, and then they ship to you. Oh yeah, shipping to canada was $19 I think... I thought, fine, that's an ok price to pay.......But little did I know that they would ship via UPS!!!

I often avoid UPS at all costs but in this case, I didn't know UPS was going to be used to ship cross-border to me.

My UPS charges were CAD$64.49. The fragrances + shipping were CAD$138.85. I payed a little over $200 for two 100ml bottles of Annick Goutal. I don't know whether to think this is good or not because I was expecting to only pay around $70/bottle. I know ~$100 is still cheaper than retail but still!

Oh yeah, so I'm loving Ambre Fetiche and not so fond of Encens Flamboyant. I'm so pissed that I want to just sell off Encens right away because of all the negative associations I have with the bottle.

Sigh.

Btw, this is my first time posting in probably two years lol I'm glad to be back

Yikes, UPS fees I will never use UPS for fear of that. I thought Goutal frags are available in TO ? Sorry to hear for that unfortunate incident.

As an aside, when I saw who the OP was of this thread, I thought someone bumped up a really old thread. .

You're damn lucky they didn't steal the whole damn order!
    That being said, I'm sorry about your order.

Canadian Customs = Nazi Gestapo
    Last edited by weylin; 20th August 2009 at 04:37 AM.

Yuck. My sympathies go out to you. At the same time I'm now completely petrified that my UPS shipment on its way will arrive adulterated after it goes through Customs.

Canadian Customs is notorious for their "diligence" in sniffing out every last possible penny in duties. (Hey, it is their job). We should be thankful that not all countries are as thorough (yet) as Canada in this regard.
    Griff

Call the customs agency nearest to you and complain. This is totally unacceptable and if they stole your caps, they have therefore damaged your goods and much now replace them or compensate you if I'm correct. Otherwise, I thought they would have confiscated the whole thing if they found out it was fragrance, right?
    Sales thread here

This is what people have to realize - there is an ombudsman that will handle complaints such as these. I'll have to dig out the number, but the belief that a customs agency can act unilaterally with no higher authority to report to, in the case of unacceptable actions, is uninformed.

Canada Post acts on behalf of Customs Border Services Agency in many of these cases and the finger pointing goes both ways I might add. Even if the package was insured it's unlikely insurance will cover "tampering" - in fact insurance is almost entirely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Call the customs agency nearest to you and complain. This is totally unacceptable and if they stole your caps, they have therefore damaged your goods and much now replace them or compensate you if I'm correct. Otherwise, I thought they would have confiscated the whole thing if they found out it was fragrance, right?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Why would a customs staff steal caps off frag bottles? Sounds to me like you probably got a tester. I'd go back to the people I bought it from if I were you...

Dependent

^ Goutal testers come with caps.

Long live western freedom.

Stories like this just make me so mad. Yes they are doing their job but you just can't tamper and destroy folks stuff. I was finished with customs here when a Basenoter sent me 10 samples in the mail labelled really professionally. They insisted that a business had sent them to me and demanded an invoice. I told them I would pour all ten samples down the drain before I pay a red-cent on samples someone had sent from their personal collection.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Well, 1 cap was missing, not both - so at least one fragrance came "intact." And these weren't testers, they are new fragrances that came packaged in the box with a Goutal sticker sealing the top lid (too bad the bottom lid wasn't sealed as well!!!)

Welcome back. Customs are by far one of the most corrupt organizations within any government. I just feel it is so ridiculous to have to pay all of these fees and they still manage to treat expensive goods with as little care or concern as humanly possible. As far as "Dangerous goods" puhlease, it really angers me something terrible. It is just another annoyance in the game of life. I have yet to hear of a death, or bombing, by perfume. Usually when people are doing something illegal or dangerous, it is a classic business sized envelope filled with some sort of powder, i have yet to hear of a random attack by way of a bottle of Opium not registered as a dangerous item.

Do not let this unseemly incident ruin your experience with Encens, give it another wear in a few days, or next week.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Well, 1 cap was missing, not both - so at least one fragrance came "intact." And these weren't testers, they are new fragrances that came packaged in the box with a Goutal sticker sealing the top lid (too bad the bottom lid wasn't sealed as well!!!)
    I received a bottle recently that had obviously been used--perhaps to make decanted samples. It look old, had residue around the spray piston and had little particles floating in it! I called the company and was promply sent a new bottle in wrapper and brand new.

OTOH, human nature is very sad when given the opportunity to pry into people's purchases and belongings with anonymity. I am sure that theft happens all over the world this way.

I heard that an actress from a movie was travelling to her home country. The director gave her the prop sword she used in the film at a cast wrap party because she was woman warrior (Joan of Arc?). As it was a real metal sword, it had to travel underneath the plane in the luggage. When she got home, the sword was stolen.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

BINGO

Sorry to hear about customs abuse. They really are their own ruler. If I were you I'd go straight to customs and contact the leading supervisors. Their leadership should be aware of what happened AFTER you've contacted the business that sold you the fragrances. Threaten to go public if they don't straighten the issue out. Sometimes people don't react to situations until you get a bit demanding. Most of the time people assumed they've been robbed and let life go on. This just means customs can go about their rotten business of being overly paid while stealing cool stuff...like your fragrance lids.

True story. A pilot for the USAF was traveling back from Canada via commercial airline and had two iPods he had bought for his children as a post deployment surprise. He makes it back to his home here in the states, and what do you know? Both iPods are GONE. Complete history. He calls customs and they said some iPods and other electronic devices are taken for "safety reasons". A whole lot of this crap is purely stemmed from the glorious Patriot Act where basically anything the government suspects of a national threat or linked to some sort of terrorism, will be taken, abused, and so on. So, here is this USAF pilot on his way home from FIGHTING terrorism and his gifts are stolen.

Canada isn't the only country going through this crap. A good friend of mine had three shipments of LEGAL health supplements stopped and held by customs because they were being reviewed for company discontinuation and banned. He didn't know any of this until he contacted UPS themselves. UPS didn't contact him, and not only were they extremely rude, they didn't compensate him for his losses.

I call most customs a steaming pile of BS

sorry to hear. I will only deal with sellers that will use USPS so I can avoid the brokerage/customs fees.

I bought Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche EDP and body creme from the HauteLook sale. These were backups and my intention was to just put them away for the time being but their boxes appeared to have been opened from the bottom so I opened them to make sure all was as it should be inside. It was. I needed to prime the sprayer and the creme looked okay.

I suspect your cap was missing before UPS ever picked it up. If you call HauteLook, I'm sure they'll make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Not4you View Post
    sorry to hear. I will only deal with sellers that will use USPS so I can avoid the brokerage/customs fees.
    ....and I am sure you know about having the package labeled correctly as to ensure that customs does not know you are receiving fragrance. That is the best way to ensure the package gets to you safe and sound.

Your spot on with those "brokerage/customs fees". I would not want to pay that extra, otherwise, what is the point in getting a "deal" online.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I bought Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche EDP and body creme from the HauteLook sale. These were backups and my intention was to just put them away for the time being but their boxes appeared to have been opened from the bottom so I opened them to make sure all was as it should be inside. It was. I needed to prime the sprayer and the creme looked okay.

I suspect your cap was missing before UPS ever picked it up. If you call HauteLook, I'm sure they'll make it right.
    Hmmm.....interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Welcome back. Customs are by far one of the most corrupt organizations within any government. I just feel it is so ridiculous to have to pay all of these fees and they still manage to treat expensive goods with as little care or concern as humanly possible. As far as "Dangerous goods" puhlease, it really angers me something terrible. It is just another annoyance in the game of life. I have yet to hear of a death, or bombing, by perfume. Usually when people are doing something illegal or dangerous, it is a classic business sized envelope filled with some sort of powder, i have yet to hear of a random attack by way of a bottle of Opium not registered as a dangerous item.

Do not let this unseemly incident ruin your experience with Encens, give it another wear in a few days, or next week.
    While my trips to German customs have been a pain in the neck, I have to say the people there have always been very friendly. They have to follow the rules, of course, but they were always lenient when able to act at discretion. They also have some very, ahem, interesting customers ("you want to import how many crocodile eggs, Sir?; "You wish to know the duty on WWII howitzers?" Also, I pity them for having to work in what usually looks like a condemned building insome decrepit industrial quarter.
    Tampering with goods, however, is what I would expect of customs in Ruanda, Aserbaidschan (no offense ) and other more or less failing states, not Canada.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.