Code of Conduct

Default ***Hi New Here! Some Fragrance Suggestions?(Please!?)***

Hello People,

As you can tell, I am new to the world of fragrances somewhat, been lurking around the forums for sometime and I found this site very helpful!

Anyway, I currently have

JPG Le Male "Smells Nice/Use for Fall+Winter and Special"
    Canali Men "This one blew me away!/Use Spring Summer and Special"
    Azzaro Chrome "Refreshing and Nice/Use Spring+Summer"
    Versace Blue Jeans "GF gave me this one, smells ok/Use only when I am around her"

I guess you can say my nose is still untrained somewhat but whatever I sniff from a cologne and if it smells wonderful, I will buy it (I know this may be bad ).

I went to several stores and sampled several other colognes during the past 7 months

Issey Miyake (smells ok but not for me)
    Armani Code (I think it's the tonka bean and something else there but very good)
    Obsession (might as well chew cinnamon gum and rub it all over myself)
    Kenneth Cole (Tested all of them and found I like RSVP for some reason)
    Boss (Didn't find any appealing)
    Curve (Don't know what was I thinking, too kiddie! nothing sophisticated and different)
    Paris Hilton (Ewww!! Made me gag for sure! )
    212 (Too grassy for me)
    Versace Dreamer (nice but smells alot like Le Male, so not for me)
    Kouros (PowerHouse Fragrance! Definately not for me)
    BVLGARI Aqua (Not much reaction)
    Burberry Brit/London (Not much too say, nothing amazing)
    Versace Pour Homme (Smells Ok, but not attractive for some reason)
    Aqua Di Gio (Just Dissapointing)
    Dirty English (smells like roadkill! )
    Polo and Black (Mango and some other weird ingredients, didn't find it appealing)
    D&G Pour Homme/Light (Smelled like something from before)

Then comes

"THE ONE" (WOW!! THIS IS IT!!!!) I said.

There is something unique about this fragrance I haven't smelt on all other ones I have previously crossed out!! I don't know why but I found this one to be somewhat elegant, somewhat sophisticated and sweet but gently with longevity!

Sorry to make this way long but I guess what I am looking for is other suggestions based of what I like? I guess what I like is somewhere of

Modern
    Classy
    Not too intense or too Alcoholic
    Sophisticated
    Gentle but Sweet

Don't know if I am making any sense but I feel I may be missing out on something big, also can anyone provide any more feedback on "the one"? I am really looking to pull the trigger on this one at nordstrom but before I do, I would like to see what else you guys would suggest for someone like me?

Any help and every bit of it is greatly appreciated!!

-JohnD

Sur la Plage

Default Re: ***Hi New Here! Some Fragrance Suggestions?(Please!?)***

Welcome!

You may want to try Chanel Allure Homme Sport.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

There's only one Dior Homme mate.
    unico grande amore.

I would try Prada Pour Homme

Basenotes Institution

Hi and welcome ! From a ladies point of view- I would always have to recommend you try some Chanels like Antaeus . Maybe Gucci , some Guerlains - Vetiver. Bulgari Black ... These are MY faves on a man but anyway .....
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st August 2009 at 01:34 AM. Reason: my bad spelling .........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Try Gendarme at Sephora or Bloomingdales. It's pretty inexpensive for a niche scent.

The One is actually my favorite cologne. I know it isn't praised too much on here, but for some reason I really like it. They sell a small 1 oz. at Sephora if you are still on the fence about it. I first got that small size, but then I exchanged it for the bigger size because I liked it so much. I say go for it! If you like The One, you would probably like Creed MI too, but that's pretty darn expensive. It has that elegant sweetness quality to it, but it pulls it off better than The One. You might want to check out Marc Jacobs as well, I haven't given it a full wearing but it smelled very nice and sweet when I tested it.

I can think of two
    DESIGNER: Chanel Pour Monsieur
    NICHE: Musc Ravageur.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

+1 - I'd also add Creed Bois du Portugal for niche and Tiffany For Men for designer.

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    I can think of two
    DESIGNER: Chanel Pour Monsieur
    NICHE: Musc Ravageur.

Ok guys, I am noting and writing down all suggestions to check them out over the weekend, looks like I have alot of sniffing to do now so I will bring a huge bag of coffee beans with me keep them coming!
    Last edited by JohnD; 21st August 2009 at 06:36 AM.

Post Re: ***Hi New Here! Some Fragrance Suggestions?(Please!?)***

[QUOTE=JohnD;1595296]Ok guys, I
    am noting and writing down all suggestions to check them out over the weekend, looks like I have alot of sniffing to do now so I will bring a huge bag of coffee beans with me keep them coming![/QUO

Hi John, :wave:

I hope I won't be drawn and quartered, for doing such a dastardly thing, as to reccommend a humble, cheap, drugstore fragrance, Chaps, by Ralph Lauren. There are those on BN who will recoil in horror, but there are fans here too, fans with good taste ! In all of the years my husband have been together, I've bought him hundreds of fragrances, and I can say unequivocally, that nothing, absolutely nothing, regardless of price, or prestige, ever smelled as good on him ! Recently, I was able to lay my hands on a large bottle of the original Chaps, and despite the Bois de Portugals, the Tom Fords, the Lutens, and Frederic Malles, he hasn't smelled this good in years. Chaps may smell old fashioned to your nose, or you may look down on it, because of the price, although the Original isn't cheap anymore. All I can say is this is a REAL man's colonge, there's nothing fussy, or frilly, about Chaps. Give it a try, it might surprise you, what have you got to lose ? The bottle is real cool too ! Yipee, yi, yo, ky, yea giddiup, hoss ! Ride 'em cowboy !!!

Regards,
    MJ

You should try Mugler Cologne! It is an incredibly versatile fragrance! When I wear it I'm just like "eh ok" but it has this secret addictive quality to it. You just GOTTA have more!

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=LeNez;1595316]
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Ok guys, I
    am noting and writing down all suggestions to check them out over the weekend, looks like I have alot of sniffing to do now so I will bring a huge bag of coffee beans with me keep them coming![/QUO

Hi John, :wave:

I hope I won't be drawn and quartered, for doing such a dastardly thing, as to reccommend a humble, cheap, drugstore fragrance, Chaps, by Ralph Lauren. There are those on BN who will recoil in horror, but there are fans here too, fans with good taste ! In all of the years my husband have been together, I've bought him hundreds of fragrances, and I can say unequivocally, that nothing, absolutely nothing, regardless of price, or prestige, ever smelled as good on him ! Recently, I was able to lay my hands on a large bottle of the original Chaps, and despite the Bois de Portugals, the Tom Fords, the Lutens, and Frederic Malles, he hasn't smelled this good in years. Chaps may smell old fashioned to your nose, or you may look down on it, because of the price, although the Original isn't cheap anymore. All I can say is this is a REAL man's colonge, there's nothing fussy, or frilly, about Chaps. Give it a try, it might surprise you, what have you got to lose ? The bottle is real cool too ! Yipee, yi, yo, ky, yea giddiup, hoss ! Ride 'em cowboy !!!

Regards,
    MJ
    It's interesting that you mention Chaps, and I think this is the first time I've seen it mentioned here, because I very nearly tried it on at my local Kohl's the other night. I wish I had, because it intrigued me. Instead I tried Burberry Brit and something else. Neither of them did anything for me. Obviously, because I can't even remember what the 2nd one was. I'll have to head in there tomorrow and give it a shot (or two ).

Judging by your tastes it seems mine are kinda similar. I really do love The One.. at first. Once the top notes fade away the heart and base are rather lacking. You may wanna try L'Homme and/or Express Reserve. It has the same ambery, spicy, deep thing that The One has. Guess by Marciano is another pretty good one albeit quite spicy at first

You should try ENVY ME - Gucci
    Last edited by olla86; 31st August 2009 at 07:08 AM.
    Life is good!

Okay guys!!!

Sorry for the long late reply, been very busy with work, college and alot of thing catching up again.

I have tried all suggestions, and I walked out with

The One by D&G

and

CHANEL ALLURE

Whoever suggested Allure, has a great nose for fresh, authentic ingredients! But it was quite expensive, but well worth it.

The others were not to exciting for me to buy but there were nice, just not for me, so any other suggestions?

I am looking to make my next purchase as a b-day gift to myself.

Kenzo Power.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Okay guys!!!

Sorry for the long late reply, been very busy with work, college and alot of thing catching up again.

I have tried all suggestions, and I walked out with

The One by D&G

and

CHANEL ALLURE

Whoever suggested Allure, has a great nose for fresh, authentic ingredients! But it was quite expensive, but well worth it.

The others were not to exciting for me to buy but there were nice, just not for me, so any other suggestions?

I am looking to make my next purchase as a b-day gift to myself.

I was actually thinking about the one and the Allure. How would u compare them bot h? And how is the projection on the D&G, I heard it wasn't that good. Can an 18 year old pull it off you think or no?

Cool Re: ***Hi New Here! Some Fragrance Suggestions?(Please!?)***

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Hi and welcome ! From a ladies point of view- I would always have to recommend you try some Chanels like Antaeus . Maybe Gucci , some Guerlains - Vetiver. Bulgari Black ... These are MY faves on a man but anyway .....
    Hm . . .sounds like someone has great taste

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

i am also a newbie here in this forum and if I may suggest, try Guerlain Vetiver. I recently bought a full bottle in a local annual sale and it was an instant fave.

Modern - check
    Classy - check
    Not too intense or too Alcoholic - check
    Sophisticated - check
    Gentle but Sweet - check

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122310.html
    its a soppy but sweet smell and honestly fits(to me) all your reqs!
    Last edited by xclusive; 23rd October 2009 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalica77 View Post
    I was actually thinking about the one and the Allure. How would u compare them bot h? And how is the projection on the D&G, I heard it wasn't that good. Can an 18 year old pull it off you think or no?
    Hi,

comparing The One and Allure

They both last long on my skin, 8hrs+, but you have to remember that women have very sensitive noses!! So even if you don't smell it on yourself, trust me women around you will! So you might have to becareful with overspraying on either of these.

They are both really pleasing scents, they are not offensive, since I am in my mid 20's, I use The One for evenings thru nighttime and Allure for afternoon thru evenings. These are both considered fall//spring scents, so I wouldn't suggest them just for summer or winter.

Since you are 18, I would suggest Allure more because it's more of a safe side scent that won't offend much to the younger crowd, so you won't smell dated or old. It does project well and last long although it can last depending on your skin. The One I would use more as a special occasion/nighttime scent, but it's a bit more mature, maybe you could pull it off depending on you situation.

But hey, I would suggest you try both and see what works with your skin the best, and what makes you smell nice. I think they are both really good and you can't go wrong with either but if you want to be more on the safer side, Allure is awesome!

You should probably check out the reviews on you tube?

Xclusive, I will check Prada out Asap!!! thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giustino View Post
    There's only one Dior Homme mate.
    +1 You should give this a try!