Code of Conduct

Post RE: Best Montales

Hi,

I'm ready to order a bottle of Montale from Paris. Could y'all please reccommend the frags you think are the best. I haven't disliked any of the ones I've tried, my favorites so far are: Oud Damascus, Black Oud, and White Oud. I'm not sure Sweet Oriental Dream, and Blue Amber last on my skin, I probably should test them further. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

MJ

Default Re: Best Montales

I don't have many favorites from the line but Black Aoud and Crystal Flowers are huge standouts.

I would recommend white aoud
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

This thread here might help you out a bit. Otherwise, I really enjoy Black Aoud, Attar and Jasmine Full.
    Sales thread here

I like Aoud Damascus and Royal Aoud best. Then Black Aoud.

Recommend you order what you have tried and liked, instead of buying blind.

Blue Amber doesn't last on your skin... are you joking? Blue Amber has to be one of the most tenacious perfumes I've ever tried. You might want to try that one again and see if you get better longevity out of it because it is really an awesome amber. Out of the Montale Ouds I've tried, Aoud Lime is my personal favorite.

Aoud Saffron and Louban are among my favorites.

I like Patchouli Leaves, but it's the only one I've tried. I tried it because the descriptions seemed to depict something I would like, so maybe it was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As for me it would be Blue Amber

Off-Scenter

For what it's worth, Black Aoud and Oud Cuir d'Arabie are the two that I keep bottles of.

Thank you all so much ! The consensus among you guys, and also the poll, (thanks l'adventurier) supports Black Oud, which I've tried more than once, and already know that I like it. Good thing too, since I had a sample vial slip out of my fingers today, and not wanting to waste it, mopped it up and applied it to my body. Needless to say, I've been quite redolent since the mishap. It's quite fortunate, that I didn't have to risk offending anone, by going out in public this afternoon ! L'adventurier, is it possible that my Blue Amber sample wasn't as fresh as it should have been, thus contributing to it's lack of strength ? Also, I know that as far as my particular skin chemistry is concerned, things smell differently on me, but it usually doesn't apply to an Oriental. Jasmin Full probably isn't my cup of tea, due to the fact that most White Flower scents, are scrubbers on me. No, scentsitivity, I wouldn't buy anything blind, I've learned my lesson the hard way, and wasted a lot of dollars by doing that. Maybe, I should sample a few others before making a final decision, since the Montale's aren't cheap, and I don't want to be disappointed. I'd still like to try Royal Oud, I'm undecided about Aoud Damascus, (I liked that it wasn't as sweet as most of the others) Aoud Cuir Arabie, and Aoud Lime, did well in the poll, but I always seem to associate leather with men. That's not saying that, a woman can't be totally hot in leather ! Hopefully, some of the women will also give me their opinions on this, I wasn't sure where to post, so I just asked the men. Again, thanks tremendously, and I'll let you know what I end up with. I don't remember who suggested buying directly from Montale in Paris, but even with the conversion fee, taking into consideration the fact, that they send you a small travel bottle of your choice, with a 100ml. purchase, I couldn't beat the price anywhere !!

Regards,
    MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    For what it's worth, Black Aoud and Oud Cuir d'Arabie are the two that I keep bottles of.
    Vibert, coming from you, it's worth a lot ! Your reviews are so well written, it's a pleasure to read them, and I respect your opinion ! J4ck, I soo... want to like Blue Amber, just put some more on. Hednic, I'd wondered about the new ones, but haven't heard anything much about them. Some of the men on BN think Oud is about the un-sexiest scent a woman can wear, do any of you agree ? Even at my age, it doesn't hurt my feelings, if a man likes the way I smell ! One of the nicest compliments I've ever received, was from a young man, who jumped on a shuttle to a concert, and squeezed in beside me, he said, "Boy, I'm sure glad I sat next to you !" He'd never heard of the perfume I was wearing, but he seemed to really enjoy smelling it. So much for "Old Lady" scents ! Merci beacoup, to all !

Regards,
    MJ

Vibert, coming from you, it's worth a lot ! Your reviews are so well written, it's a pleasure to read them, and I respect your opinion ! J4ck, I soo... want to like Blue Amber, just put some more on. Hednic, I'd wondered about the new ones, but haven't heard anything much about them. Some of the men on BN think Oud is about the un-sexiest scent a woman can wear, do any of you agree ? Even at my age, it doesn't hurt my feelings, if a man likes the way I smell ! One of the nicest compliments I've ever received, was from a young man, who jumped on a shuttle to a concert, and squeezed in beside me, he said, "Boy, I'm sure glad I sat next to you !" He'd never heard of the perfume I was wearing, but he seemed to really enjoy smelling it. So much for "Old Lady" scents ! Merci beacoup, to all !

Regards,
    MJ
    Last edited by LeNez; 21st August 2009 at 02:43 AM. Reason: I need to delete, accidental double post.

I'm a big aoud baby and cannot handle any of them....but Montale White Musk is my favourite musk scent, hand's down. Gorgeous, woody, clean, perfumey and tenacious. Lovely.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

My favorites are in this order are Black,White Auod then Patchouli leaves ,Boise vanilla , Red Auod and last but not least Blue Amber

I *need* to try this one - thanks for bringing it up!

As for others in the Montale lineup.. I'm not really all that impressed thus far with any Aoud. Red Vetyver isn't bad - though somewhat flat and very similar to Terre d'Hermes. Sandalsliver isn't bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I'm a big aoud baby and cannot handle any of them....but Montale White Musk is my favourite musk scent, hand's down. Gorgeous, woody, clean, perfumey and tenacious. Lovely.

Musk to Musk is the only Montale I'd recommend.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

if you like blue amber and black aoud i would go with white aoud.....its kinda like the montale rose aoud thing with amber......or you could do what i did and just have all 3 black aoud white aoud and blue amber!

you know when you order from montale in paris they give you a 20ml bottle free.....you could get the black aoud and a blue amber 20ml.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

I like Blue Amber and Lime
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Musk to Musk is the only Montale I'd recommend.
    How is this different from their White Musk I wonder? On a musk kick these days
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

My favorites are Black Aoud, White Aoud, Red Vetyver, Red Aoud, Roses Musk, Patchouli Leaves, and Musk to Musk (thus owning all but White). The GF loves Vanilla Extasy and has a bottle of that. I used to have many of them, but have "slimmed" them down to those.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 21st August 2009 at 08:20 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

There are at least 15 Montales that are definitely worth investigating but which ones to purchase will depend on personal taste. The following Montales have to be tested first above all others:

Aoud Flowers
    Aoud Lime
    Aoud Roses Petals (lighter rose) / Oud Queen Roses (darker rose)
    Attar
    Black Aoud
    Blue Amber
    Bois de Aoud (Original Aoud)
    Boise Vanille
    Golden Aoud
    Oud Cuir D'Arabie
    Patchouli Leaves
    Red Aoud
    Red Vetyver
    Roses Musk
    Royal Aoud
    Sweet Oriental Dream
    Vanille Absolu (simple vanilla) / Vanille Extasy (complex vanilla)
    White Aoud

I've tried about 20 Montales, my favorites:

Blue Amber
    Black Aoud
    Royal Aoud

I have to second this post and add Aoud Damascus! I rarely agree with the more well-known reviewers but this recommendation is spot on in my book.

I am a Montale freak and I've tried 50 of his fragrances. My first purchase will be tomorrow: 100ml: Black Aoud, Attar, Blue Amber (Wife's favorite, not mine so much). 50ml: Red Aoud and the 3 free 20ml will be Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Golden Aoud and Aoud Damascus.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 25th August 2009 at 02:47 AM.