Code of Conduct

Default Xerjoff Damarose and Richwood Revews!

Last edited by cairomerta; 16th January 2011 at 12:33 AM.

Default Re: Xerjoff Damarose and Richwood Revews! Also a Kobe bottle Givaway!!

I'm sampling Richwood as I write this. I'll get back after I spend a day or two with it.

I look forward to your review beck!!

I'm back to give my thoughts about Richwood.

Richwood seems to be an apropos name for this fragrance. Upon first whiff you'll get the now infamous, well executed, Xerjoff citrus accord. What your nose isn't quite ready for is the quality of the Mysore sandlewood. Absolutely breathtaking.
    It's rich and buttery (like homemade real butter popcorn) It doesn't smell like popcorn, I'm just referring to the buttery richness of the sandlewood. Most of our noses are in tune with inferior sandlewoods and synthetics.

One of the reasons vintage scents are so sought after is because of real sandlewood, and other now too expensive ingredients.
    Real Mysore sandlewood isn't available in large quanities and would be cost prohibitive for large batches anyway. To draw your attention away from the sandlewood from time to time is a very subtle rose and patchouli combo, ever so slightly sweetened with cassis. A sublime fragrance that will exceed your expectations. NECTAR OF THE GOD'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's thebeck's biggest bitch about most frags? If you answered longevity and sillage, you're correct. No need to bitch about Richwood - we may be talking about days here, instead of hours, for longevity. As for sillage, I never experienced any olfactory fatigue. You'll be able to smell yourself all day long, as it emminates from your skin to remind you of its presence.

Xerjoff - like Ferrari and Aston Martin are offering what can be acheived without regard to cost. Most of us don't what to come to terms with what quality ingredients cost today. We (me) would like to be able to own a bottle of Richwood, but I'll never own a Ferrari, and may have to come to terms that Richwood may be out of my league at $635.00 for 100ml bottle. If your pockets are deeper than mine, I do feel the cost is justified.

Message for Khaled, The U.S.A. Xerjoff Distributor:

Maybe Xerjoff should consider offering 30ml bottles like Nasomatto does. 30 ml of Richwood would last most people a couple of years. I would be willing to pay $250 - $300 for 30ml, but forking over $635.00 for a 100ml bottle I'll never finish seems foolish to me. I guess I'll have to wait for a split on "Crystal Flacon" for my fix of Richwood.
    Last edited by thebeck; 15th January 2011 at 11:52 PM.

Great review beck!! I was actually going to PM you asking if you had a chance to try it.

You nailed the review. It is absolutly stunning. There was actually two versions of richwood. One with and one without the rose. We ended up chosing the rose addition as it blew our minds.

I have actually spoke about a 30ml with Sergio and this could actually be in the cards in the future. Very much a posibility!!

I have a sample of this but haven't done a full wearing yet. I wasn't impressed from first sniff of the vial but it seems there is a few things going on there and I need to wear it so it can transform, or at least I'd hope. Perhaps due to the cost, I won't bother sampling.....at least until the curiosity wins lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Xerjoff Damarose and Richwood Revews!

Richwood sounds fantastic.. I am really craving a perfectly constructed, rich sandalwood fragrance. To date it has been my favorite ingredient in fragrance.
    Last edited by AnthonyDG; 20th January 2011 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks for the link, an interesting review although I'm not certain "unreal longevity lasting over 24hours" is sign of the quality of the ingredients. That + the extra sillage can also be a sign of the use of synthetic 'enhancers'. Nevertheless, I look forward to testing both frags.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Thanks for the link, an interesting review although I'm not certain "unreal longevity lasting over 24hours" is sign of the quality of the ingredients. That + the extra sillage can also be a sign of the use of synthetic 'enhancers'. Nevertheless, I look forward to testing both frags.
    I'm not certain about how the great longevity is achieved either. I can only hypothesize. If there is any synthetic enhancers being used, I sure can't detect them as such, and there's no detraction from the purity of the scent. The key to using synthetics is to blend them synergistically with naturals, hench the artistic part of perfumery.

I didn't experience any extra sillage. Richwoods sillage doesn't extend much beyond the wearer. It doesn't knock people down as you pass them. The fun part about the sillage is it works in conjunction with the longevity. Usually sillage dies off and you can smell the scent on your wrist for much longer. With Richwood you can smell the sillage from your chest 12 hours later while typing away at your computer, with no need to pull your wrist to your nose. Very few fragrances have that ability.

I'm looking forward to sampling Damarose when samples become available.

Nice review there. Another scent gone into the wait to start working after University to afford book...

Xerjoff are my favourite house overall.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Thanks for the response. Richwood indeed sounds very promising to me, I wonder if it's also available in 50ml size like some of the other Xerjoffs or whether it's possible to buy refill bottles. I don't think I could bring myself to fork out 400 for a cologne unless it's some discontinued gem, oud oil etc..

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm not certain about how the great longevity is achieved either. I can only hypothesize. If there is any synthetic enhancers being used, I sure can't detect them as such, and there's no detraction from the purity of the scent. The key to using synthetics is to blend them synergistically with naturals, hench the artistic part of perfumery.

I didn't experience any extra sillage. Richwoods sillage doesn't extend much beyond the wearer. It doesn't knock people down as you pass them. The fun part about the sillage is it works in conjunction with the longevity. Usually sillage dies off and you can smell the scent on your wrist for much longer. With Richwood you can smell the sillage from your chest 12 hours later while typing away at your computer, with no need to pull your wrist to your nose. Very few fragrances have that ability.

I'm looking forward to sampling Damarose when samples become available.

I would be interested for any further thoughts on the Mysore Sandalwood aspect in Richwood from anyone familiar with Sandalo Inspiritu from DSH (where it is clearly evident) or who owns and/or is a fan of real Mysore. As beck mentions, the real thing is in short supply so what exactly are we looking at here? Did Xerjoff manage to source some Mysore or have some put away from a while ago?

Either way this is one I will make an effort to try next time I have an order in with LS.

There's no way real mysore would project much at all, even if it was entirely undiluted, after 12-24 hours. Yes, it would be present but projection would be a matter of inches.

That's not to knock Damarose or Richwood, but simply to point out that typically great longevity and projection (projection after an hour or two, at least - many naturals project strongly for the first 60-120 minutes) are indicative of synthetics. I do not maintain that synthetics should necessarily be considered lesser than naturals, but I do not think longevity and projection are signs of quality. Take some cheap galaxolide and dilute it to 10% and wear it - you'll have longevity and projection for days, neither of which say anything about the quality.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I sampled Richwood at Roja Dove yesterday and to be honest was not very impressed. The fragrance is indeed persistent and the sillage was a little too much for my taste (and for a 'sandalwood' frag, anyway). I don't want to sound negative however, I perceive this as more of a patchouli heavy rather than a fragrance centered around sandalwood. The sandalwood is there however, to my nose it is overpowered by the patchouli note + a sweet berry-like accord which I thought I'd smelled before in many dept. store frags. I thought the quality was above average and I personally didn't find the composition of this perfume original or even interesting. I can still smell a shadow of Richwood on the sleeve of my sweater today - a smooth woody note with a slightly generic smelling fruity tinge.
    These are my impressions based on a single testing so take it with a pinch of salt. I'm sure if I spent more time with it the perfume would reveal more of its nuances.

update: Feb/11
    I have to admit I've grown to like Richwood a lot since I first tested the fragrance. Once the opening melange of notes settles - the candied citruses are rather short-lived here, notes of orris and patchouli dominate the scent. To my nose the sandalwood stays here pretty much in the background (as it should be) as a supporting voice and lends the composition a soft and effortless radiance. The darkish fruity winey accord of cassis & rose lasts well into its base which is sweetened - a bit too much for my taste, by the usual vanilla and some ambery labdanum. On my skin Richwood dries down to a subtle and carefully blended powdery musk + vanilla, the musk might be partly responsible, I suspect, for Richwood's great longevity.
    Those who enjoy Jubilation XX (sans IES), vintage Heritage, Coromandel and other sweet orientals do yourself a favour and sample this fragrance. I find Richwood to be a harmonious, very easy to like, although not incredibly complex or exciting, composition made with high quality ingredients. Works great in conjunction with the body heat - apply 2-3 sprays under your shirt/top... and as your clothes become infused with the scent... inhale the vapours ...and enjoy.
    Richwood is, along with Mefisto and Kobe, easily the most enjoyable Xerjoff I've put on my skin so far, a truly plush and regal blend.
    Last edited by phibess; 17th February 2011 at 05:28 PM.

I'm just trying this out for the first time today. I swear there's a bunch of cedar in here, too - when I first spritzed this all I got was a massive blast of cedar. But the sandalwood here is exquisitely beautiful, there's a (to my nose, gorgeous) musty wine cellar vibe, something slightly sweetly anisic almost approaching root beer. I get relatively low sillage (which makes me happy) but good longevity (which makes me very happy). I find it get slightly boozy on the drydown, like dried fruits soaked in rum. This stuff just oozes quality, it really does. I can't justify $635, but my 1ml sample will keep me happy for a while.