Code of Conduct

Thread: Tired..

Default Tired..

of spoiling loads of time before my wardrobe, thinking what scent to wear every day... I keep on buying all kinds of brands, always thinking, YES !! that"ll be my signature scent...but no, after a copple of days, want another one... I m getting sick of it, really I do !!

And, if I'm feeling comftable with one scent, and I wear it while something bad comes over me (f.e. breaking up with girls, that scent always remembers me of that moment, so I have difficulties to wear it again..

So, I guess I have an off day, today :-(

Solution for those mixt feelings, guys ?

thanks,
    Renz

Default Re: Tired..

Wear some basic, non-offensive, safe, non-outspoken and generic scent for a while.
    Just nice smelling, a scent which is way too ordinary to even get bored by
    I am pretty sure it wil bring back your 'taste' for the fragrances you really like.

While I don't know any solution, I guess I know the feeling myself, since, after I've worn a scent on an particularly unpleasant occasion, I find it hard to wear it again, especially as my daily basis signature scent...

I have my scents in different drawers - ambery fougeres in one, oriental in another, chypres in another, niche in another etc.

All I think about is which drawer or cupboard to open - once opened, I look around, one jumps out at me, and I pick it.

Amount of total time wasted is between half a minute to a minute and a half.

The last time I wasted a lot of time was when I got married, having spent a week thinking about it and narrowing it down to three or four choices. On the day I decided in less than a minute that I wanted something else and grabbed Lolita Lempicka. So after that experience, I no longer bother thinking hard on such matters.

Renato

Dependent

Well to be honest, I don't have any solutions yet, and I doubt I will find an absolute one anytime soon. Just wanted to say that your situation probably isn't too uncommon, many have had such jaded feelings as well. I guess taking some time to enjoy and appreciate what you currently have is a good way to recharge. When you feel adventurous again, you can continue with the (endless) search for the elusive signature scent

I often feel the same. Nout's suggestion to wear something benign is a good idea. That's what I do. I wear something I know I "like" but that is not a passion.

I carry a purse and it has mister vials of many different scents in my collection. So perhaps halfway through the day when my "safe" choice is no longer detectable on my skin I get inspired by a random goodie in the bottom of my bag, maybe something at the back of my cupboard that hasn't been worn for awhile.

I also find reading Basenotes reviews of my faves helps re-ignite old love.

Renato's organized approach is pretty cool too.

Yes Renato, but then I will have the same prob with the drawers ;-)

3xasif, a good solution but I don't carry a bag and yes, you're right, the Basenotes reviews helps alot !

Nout, je hebt gelijk ! You're right to..it make sense...

Matthewfoo,thanks 4 the advice, but the search of the signature scent will be 'endless' :-(

Ken Russel, I know, it sucks ....

Do you guys really put that much time in deciding what to wear? I put my bottles in three rows: hot weather, all year, and cold weather. I only choose from the two rows that weather permits, takes about 10 seconds.

AromiErotici

No rules apply to choosing for me anyway. I take a look....and whatever scent strikes my fancy regardless of climate, I wear and spray accordingly.

I liken it to hitting in softball. If you over-think at the plate, the results are usually ordinary or dismal.

It would be cool if there were some function on Basenotes that would be like "spin the wheel". You could input your wardrobe, assigning some scents to seasonal use-- then hit "spin the wheel" and it would tell you what your SOTD would be. That would be fun!

These days I tend to have no-brainer default fragrances that I grab if I catch myself being indecisive-- those defaults are usually Prada Infusion D'Homme and Amber Pour Homme, Terre D'Hermes, Varvatos Vintage, Lanvin Vetiver, Salvador Dali Laguna Homme and Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte Concentrť and Baldessarini.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    It would be cool if there were some function on Basenotes that would be like "spin the wheel". You could input your wardrobe, assigning some scents to seasonal use-- then hit "spin the wheel" and it would tell you what your SOTD would be. That would be fun!
    That's part of the reason I moved my wardrobe to WordPress. I use one Post per scent that I own, and all the other content goes on Pages rather than Posts (it's not a real blog, the way I use it.) That way I can use WordPress's built-in "random post" function, in spite of my total absence of web programming ability, and I have a random scent chooser. I haven't bothered to categorize by season, since the region I live in is mild year-round. If the "wrong" scent comes up, I just make another random choice. On many days, however, I know exactly what I want to wear and don't bother "rolling the dice"...
    Spray it, donít say itÖ
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    No rules apply to choosing for me anyway. I take a look....and whatever scent strikes my fancy regardless of climate, I wear and spray accordingly.

I liken it to hitting in softball. If you over-think at the plate, the results are usually ordinary or dismal.
    That is awesome. I rarely overthink it either.

I think your life needs some change - new, challenging job, new (challenging) girlfriend, etc. I think this hobby of ours normally is not so important in life as to have such problems like you - there are much more important things in life.
    It's clear for me that this is not a popular view here, but this is my crystal clear opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I think your life needs some change - new, challenging job, new (challenging) girlfriend, etc. I think this hobby of ours normally is not so important in life as to have such problems like you - there are much more important things in life.
    It's clear for me that this is not a popular view here, but this is my crystal clear opinion.

a psycologic view Sandy..maybe you re right...thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by renzo View Post
    a psycologic view Sandy..maybe you re right...thanks !!
    My friend, I know that the REAL solution is much more difficult. But at times you should look round you, look at the people counting on you - fellow-workers, family members, good old friends. And in a dire situation when they need you and just you badly, this whole what-the-hell-should -I-pour-on-myself would vanish in the thin air - of course if you are a real man, which I think is true.
    THEN if you know that there IS a situation when you would forget this whole obsession, why should you need a real dire situation, when life is struggle in itself? I hope you know what I mean.
    With true friendship
    Last edited by Sandy; 23rd August 2009 at 08:47 PM.

Buy another bottle of cologne !!

Just kidding...

I was basenotes-free for a good year without any hesitation. I didn't buy a single bottle of cologne until recently. I guess this site does tend to make you like that since I was the EXACT same way. I just found new hobbies that took up more time in my day like going to the gym 6 days a week instead of 4, getting my diet in check, and just paying more attention to my health. Now I plan to get certified through NASM for personal training because I love it !

Ya just gotta try new things

of spoiling loads of time before my wardrobe, thinking what scent to wear every day... I keep on buying all kinds of brands, always thinking, YES !! that"ll be my signature scent...but no, after a copple of days, want another one... I m getting sick of it, really I do !!

And, if I'm feeling comftable with one scent, and I wear it while something bad comes over me (f.e. breaking up with girls, that scent always remembers me of that moment, so I have difficulties to wear it again..

thanks,
    Renz
    Last edited by 1280adam; 23rd August 2009 at 08:50 PM.

There's no solution, in my opinion, for associations you develop with a scent - I haven't found one yet. I guess my somewhat cheeky answer to it is to try and not have anything bad happen to associate a fragrance with

As for your approach with always looking for a signature scent - perhaps it might be better to allow yourself to have several signature scents and explore which notes you enjoy in particular fragrances a bit more to make finding the truly amazing fragrances easier.

Regarding taking too much time to pick a SOTD - I'm with a few of the others here... it shouldn't take much time. For me it's sort of like answering a multiple choice question (the first choice, and your gut instinct, was probably the correct one).

Don't let it get you down, and here's hoping you have brighter days ahead with this great hobby.

thanks,
    Renz

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Wise words from Hungary.

The suggestion of choosing a default not-so-unique frag (s), so you can pick it any moment without thinking too much, is a great one.

to 1280adam

Mind you, it s nothing concerning about getting to know someone, certainly not being a loser !!!

to 1280adam

Mind you, it s nothing concerning about getting to know someone, certainly not being a loser !!!

The quote in my signature has been there for a while now, lol. It's not geared towards anyone here !

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    The quote in my signature has been there for a while now, lol. It's not geared towards anyone here !

aha...1280adam, you have to admit that it was rather confusing, regarding my thread, don't you think ? ;-)

Give them all away, and you soon will have a renew feeling of love for fragrance again. And best of all, you will have a great time building up an other whole new set. Love is in the air, baby.

I generally try to pick a scent for the following day the night before, when I'm thinking clearly.

You see, I am not a morning person, and when I wake up I am in no condition to make a complicated choice about how I want to smell... plus, I'm usually not excited about smelling anything too heavy. I'll just pick Bvlgari PH (can't screw up with that) and be on my way. Later in the day I inevitably regret it.

If I pick something to night before, I don't have to do anything thinking in the morning, and I'll probably be happier with my choice for more of the following day than if I just grabbed something safe to avoid the hassle in the morning.

But then again, I'm weird like that. I lay out my clothes and put grounds and water in the coffee machine the night before too.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Renzo,

I take alot of time choosing and deciding what to wear in the morning as well. And it seems alot of us do !

As of late, I have really been thinking about my fragrance bottles and decants/samples. I make it a point to utilize each wearing as a chance to really think if that particular fragrance is worthy of being in my wardrobe and whether or not it also deserves to become a full bottle ( from a sample).

Finding a signature scent is tough. I think having a good selection in a wardrobe can make it easier to like a particular fragrance because there is not too much "pressure" on that one bottle to be able to "do it all" for me .

Re the negative associations you have with certain frags: I understand it's easier to avoid negative emotions, but the frags are only a trigger of pain that is already there, regardless of the frag. In the long run, isn' t it better to deal with that pain than to avoid it? What better way to be forced to deal with the pain than to trigger it using a fragrance..?

Sterkte!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

aha...1280adam, you have to admit that it was rather confusing, regarding my thread, don't you think ? ;-)
    It does look like it's part of my post now that I look back on it.. sorry for the confusion !

thank you all for the suggestions and kind words !!

Made me think deeper, and perhaps it's more psychologic than I thought ....So I have a prob....so let's deal with it ! :-)

Reading over all of your answers make me feel already better ..

bedankt buurmannen !!! ;-)