Code of Conduct

Default Messe de Minuit - the decomp note

What the ... I love this frag. Don't get me wrong.

But just lately it started developing this wierd, sharp note that I can only compare to that of rotting meat (laced with tons of flowers but still is very physiological and "intimate"). I know the name is mass at midnight so on the one hand, maybe I should be happy it lives up to its name but then hey, it really stinks until it gets to the drydown.

More precisely - I would describe the actual decomposition smell as more of a "low", suffocating smell thst gets harsher and "higher" with time and as it intensifies. The MdM had the "high," harsh note and it gets rather unpleasant because of the potency.

I haven't noticed any changes while wearing other frags - just this one. I can't pinpoint the reason. Any of you noticed something similar?
    Last edited by Darwinia; 24th August 2009 at 03:06 AM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Definitely a Comme des Garcons girl.

Default Re: Messe de Minuit - the decomp note

I like the weird/incense scents but this smelt like Sprite. I could never get into it.

I have a sample of this. I love incense scents so obviously this attracted my attention. It is held up as a benchmark. The sample smells a bit skanky to me, so I haven't yet bit the bullet and tried it. It is a very strong scent, IMO. I will try it soon and see what I think, but I know what you are saying.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 24th August 2009 at 03:22 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I really wanted to try that one but after reading you guys I'm scared

I adore this scent and find it even wears well in heat when applied lightly. I get lots of compliments wearing it. The drydown is mostly Frankincense to my nose, certainly nothing rotten.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I have a sample of this. I love incense scents so obviously this attracted my attention. It is held up as a benchmark. The sample smells a bit skanky to me, so I haven't yet bit the bullet and tried it. It is a very strong scent, IMO. I will try it soon and see what I think, but I know what you are saying.
    You know, I had 3 samples of this - all without atomiser, and the scent seemed nice yet harmless. I got the full bottle last month - I wore this a few times and it was almost fine (almost is the key here). I'm trying not to overspray (3 spritzes at most).

@PaulSC - That's funny - I get very little incense form MdM if any at all. Flowery sweetness and the decomp.
    Last edited by Darwinia; 24th August 2009 at 03:45 AM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Well, interesting, I don't get anything floral out of it.

Oh well -- our different personal interpretations of scent are part of what makes it so fascinating!
    Last edited by PaulSC; 24th August 2009 at 04:20 AM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Truly a YMMV frag, since experiences are all over the place. It is VERY damp on me and reminds me of a thrift store in a foggy city that has to fight a constant battle with mold. Certainly it isn't incense. A curiousity piece in a mostly unchallenging line. I think the name does it in; it isn't as it suggests and sets up the wearer for a very specific experience that can be hard to find. Insread, there are book bindings and boots so worn they lean; winds in attics and a persistent drip in a basement.

However, given the cool dampness of some European cathedrals, with ancient and thick stone walls, I can see where the name might be correct. It's just that I (for one) am conditioned to expect incense in mass, but here I get the building and the inside termperature.

Very freaky vegetal incense. I love it for that

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I smell a rather sweaty patchouli in Messe de Minuit, but I'm rather over-sensitive to that note, and it often strikes me as uncomfortably dirty. I still like the fragrance, but don't find it FBW because of that. I have a similar issue with the patchouli bases used in a lot of rose fragrances, even No. 88, which I do wear comfortably.

I love MdM. I actually get a amber note from it on me, its great to wear in hot weather.
    DONNA

Sur la Plage

It's one of my favorite incense fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

All amber and incense on me. Quite gorgeous but it wore me no matter how little I applied so off to another loving home it went.

I so wanted to wear it but was more tempted to spritz my house with it.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Very interesting comments here. I tried it today and had a wild range of reactions. My first thought was, "ewww, bug spray!" It seemed very sweet and heavy. I think the myrrh and patchouli dominate on my skin -- the frankincense didn't register. But now, a couple of hours later, something interesting happened. The drydown became drier (rather than sweeter) and lighter (rather than heavier). This is not the usual pattern for a drydown.
    I think in part I'm becoming used to the scent. And you know, it is rather compelling... It is certainly ** very ** incense-y, with an emphasis on the myrrh.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
    What the ... I love this frag. Don't get me wrong.

But just lately it started developing this wierd, sharp note that I can only compare to that of rotting meat (laced with tons of flowers but still is very physiological and "intimate"). ...
    You may be smelling indole, an aromachemical component of many "white flower" notes (jasmine, lily, tuberose, orange blossom...) with a decadent, fleshy, animalic - sometimes even borderline fecal - edge to it. My recollection is that Messe d Minuit has some jasmine cozying up alongside the incense, and the jasmine's indolic facet may be more or less conspicuous under certain wearing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    You may be smelling indole, an aromachemical component of many "white flower" notes (jasmine, lily, tuberose, orange blossom...) with a decadent, fleshy, animalic - sometimes even borderline fecal - edge to it. My recollection is that Messe d Minuit has some jasmine cozying up alongside the incense, and the jasmine's indolic facet may be more or less conspicuous under certain wearing conditions.
    That's an excellent explanation! I cannot find a notes description for MdM though but I am almost sure it might be the indoles. I had to sell my Kingdom (McQueen) because the jasmine gave me bad BO (developed into a sweaty-salty note).
    I just noticed the decomposition in MdM as I was throwing out some raw meat I bought for the cats and which has gone off - I'm sure it would have developed into that same note if I left the meat for longer (but I'm no fan of placing additional biohazards in the kitchen, there's enough already)