Code of Conduct

Default Appreciation Thread : Yves St-Laurent's L'Homme (plus youtube review)

Let me know what you think of this fragrance ? Good or bad

This is one of my favorites even tho I do know here on BN the members don't like it as much,
    please check out my youtube review & youtube page for more reviews. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NkHvhJ46MU

Default Re: Appreciation Thread : Yves St-Laurent's L'Homme (plus youtube review)

Thumbs up - very versatile and non offensive.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 24th August 2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Appreciation Thread : Yves St-Laurent's L'Homme (plus youtube review)

I consider it a "no-brainer" type of scent. It will please nearly everyone and offend next to no one. Very classy and modern. That said, I don't think it's groundbreaking, but so what? It's a good solid scent. Different enough from the run of the mill aquatics.

I didn't like it at all, though I usually like these kinds of frags, and I'm guessing it's the combination of a synthetic sweet syrupy quality and the violet leaves.

Beautiful bottle.

That's the only nice thing I have to say.

Red headed stepchild of the YSL family.

Dependent

Impressed with video, but not with the scent. I definitely do not detest L'Homme though, just feel indifferent. I'd like to encourage you to keep it up with the video-making, I do enjoy this one and the last(Le Male). Just the volume needs to be upped

Sur la Plage

I don't find the scent to be either good or bad - I would call it mediocre.

Keep up the good job with the reviews!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 26th August 2009 at 09:43 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thumbs up Re: Appreciation Thread : Yves St-Laurent's L'Homme (plus youtube review)

Love it! One of the very few colognes I bought immediately after smelling it, and that was after probably smelling 10 others. It's definately not something you should wear everyday, as I've come to the conclusion that after wearing 2 to 3 days in a row you can no longer smell it. You have to use this periodically. The downside to me is that it takes darn near 10 to 12 sprays to get any mileage, and if you are going to be gone from home all day you need the travel pack from Sephora to resurrect it later on. The smell is very unique IMO despite what the haters say. It's also one I like to smell constantly. I think this frag gets heat because of popularity, much like Di Gio. I'm somebody who likes to rebel against the mainstream on a lot of things, but sometimes you just have to admit something that is popular is so for a reason. Like it or don't like it, learn to love it. It's the best thing going today.

BTW La Nuit is quickly making a name for itself as well. YSL has placed itself in the "A" tier with Chanel and the like.

Just watched your YouTube review, well done. I agree with most of it, but don't think that highly of Le Male JPG. Right now I rank La Nuit No.1 followed by L'Homme, Perry Ellis 2008 and Chanel PMC (honorable mention to PE 360 Degrees, which I got 2 compliments on today and probaly have had the most compliments of anything I've ever worn).
    Last edited by Naitch; 25th August 2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Follow up comment after watching video.

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post
    It's the best thing going today
    Let's not talk crazy now.

Cool Re: Appreciation Thread : Yves St-Laurent's L'Homme (plus youtube review)

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Let's not talk crazy now.
    Alright, ONE of the best things going today.

Shrug, I can't imagine wanting to smell like it, although it smells... nice?

I think it's pretty great - definitely one of the best of the newish designer releases.

It's easy to write it off as a just another citrus-fades-to-sweet scent that's basically nice but not much more...but I think it really opens up in the heart and base. The ginger/cinnamon duo is unusually silky, and the basil (which I wouldn't have guessed would blend so nicely with ginger) is just subdued enough not to give an overly herbal feel. This is layered over a pleasant layer of florals.

Tonka is one of the few sweet notes I can tolerate, and I think L'Homme uses it in the base with a lot of class, and does a good job of counteracting the sweetness with a small dose of barely detectable vetiver. The overall effect is quite smooth; just sweet enough, just green enough.

The best thing for me about this scent is that I can actually pick out each of these notes, and I can still appreciate the whole thing as a cohesive and attractive accord. Many scents either smell good but feature muddled notes, or have decisive notes but smell "spiky" as a result. L'Homme balances the equation nicely.

Yes, it does smell very modern, but it also smells very good.

Edit: Nice video; you have good camera presence and you articulate yourself well.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 25th August 2009 at 03:50 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It's a good scent, but not my favorite. A lot of people like it on me but now that I just got Versace Pour Homme, I like that one a whole lot better. I'd give it a 7.75/10 , you can't go wrong with it though.

Good review once more. But u forgot to mention about sillage ! just kidding. Will u be doing a review for La Nuit ?

YSL L'Homme was one of the first frags I bought when i was just starting out here on BN. One Saturday night I was casually testing out some frags when the SA recommended L'Homme. I haven't even heard of L'Homme before that but it was love at first sniff. I bought it the next day and now 40 bottles later L'Homme is still one of my favourites.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Thanks everyone for the comments, I did forget about sillage on this one, so much to cover I guess I forgot a really important part to cover. JoNny4 I will try to get a review on La Nuit for you sometime soon.

Thanks L'Homme. I'll be looking forward for that review.

BTW, have any online frag retailers approached you for advertising/free samples?
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Thanks L'Homme. I'll be looking forward for that review.

BTW, have any online frag retailers approached you for advertising/free samples?
    Not yet, I have not heard from any, even if I do I won't be selling out to one of them since I do this for fun and even tho I would love free samples I'm not willing to start advertising a website for it. I can easily afford the price of samples online or get free ones at the store.

Quote Originally Posted by L"homme View Post
    Not yet, I have not heard from any, even if I do I won't be selling out to one of them since I do this for fun and even tho I would love free samples I'm not willing to start advertising a website for it. I can easily afford the price of samples online or get free ones at the store.
    Good to hear that man. There were a few frag reviewers that were quite good right until they started recommending a certain retailer and giving out discount codes at the end of each review. I think you know which reviewers on youtube i'm referring to

Anybody checked out the summer edition of this yet? It's pretty good. About what you'd expect.

I love L'Homme! It seems not many members are too big a fan I usually see "You really need to try YSL frags (except for L'Homme)" I think i've seen something to that degree about 3 times. It may not be all that revolutionary.. but I think it's fantastic. The bottle is lovely as well.. I'd also love to try La Nuit sometime
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 25th August 2009 at 02:58 PM.

Nice to see some BNers showing some love for one of my faves

I am a Fan for sure.....Gary

I get this sharp, piercing almost metallic note in the opening that is rather unpleasant. It's altogether too sweet. And the body wash I got in the set made me itch all over.

It's not terrible but I do regret buying it blind.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 26th August 2009 at 04:25 AM.

Nice French pronunciation!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I think it's a step up from most of its competition, though I can't really say I want to own a bottle... In my opinion the base is way too sweet for something that's supposed to come off as light.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Nice French pronunciation!
    Seriously. I rewound it to listen a few times. The pronouncationi is even more impressive in the Le Male review.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 26th August 2009 at 03:57 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Seriously. I rewound it to listen a few times. The pronouncationi is even more impressive in the Le Male review.
    I guess being french helps a little

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I am a Fan for sure.....Gary
    Also a fan.