Code of Conduct

Default 3 Tom Ford Private Blend fragrances possibly discontinued?

I was talking to my local Tom Ford SA earlier today and she informed me that Velvet Gardenia, Bois Rouge and Moss Breeches have been discontinued.

Just thought I'd pass this on! Apologies if this is already common knowledge.
    Last edited by Riverwide; 25th August 2009 at 11:20 PM.

Default Re: 3 Tom Ford Private Blend fragrances discontinued

Oh dear. Velvet Gardenia didn't agree with me, but was unique, and Moss Breches was quite nice. This is sad.

I thought Moss Breches was selling well?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

No idea. Just passing on what she told me! They weren't even out on the counter to sample anymore!

sad..but i dont think i'd miss them terribly... Van Cleef & Arpels Ph cud replace Moss Breches ...and im sure there would some scents out there like Velvet Gardenia, which imho was a lovely creation...

Already?

It's possible that she meant they wouldn't be stocking them in the Dublin store anymore, but I don't think so. She told me that they had been "stopped" to make way for Italian Cypress, Champaca Absolute and Arabian Wood. She definitely seemed to know what she was talking about, as she had plenty to tell me about Grey Vetiver and the upcoming musk collection.

I kinda think she meant just there - there's been no other mention of that and the TF site still has them all on it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I kinda think she meant just there - there's been no other mention of that and the TF site still has them all on it.
    You may be right! The private blend site was just updated the other week with the newest fragrances, so if those three were actually being discontinued, surely they would have removed them from the website while they were adding the new ones.

It's possible that those ones will be less available than they were though. Perhaps some stores will stock all of them, while others will only stock a limited selection from the Private Blend line.

If this is correct, i'll probably just miss Moss Breches. Never tested Bois Rouge and Velvet Gardenia was ghastly, in my own personal opinion.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Guess who's got 250ml of Moss Breches,

I'm not surprised about Velvet Gardenia and Bois Rouge. One was weird and the other was unmemorable. I don't think it was ever mentioned around here. I thought Bois Rouge was the sweetness of Japan Noir watered down.

Moss Breches on the other hand is shocking. I can live without it but it still would be missed if this is true.

At Holt Renfrew they mentioned they would stop carrying several of the fragrances from the Private Blends that weren't selling, but if they're being discontinued that's quite interesting. Bois Rouge shouldn't go - though I know it doesn't get a lot of love here.

I really shouldn't have the used the word "discontinued", or perhaps a "?" at the end of the topic title might have been more appropriate!

Sorry! It's entirely possible that some of these fragrances are just going to disappear from SOME stores, but that's not the same as discontinuing them.

I didn't take any exception to it - in fact the SA told me the exact same thing until I asked if they were discontinued from Tom Ford or just not being sold in the store any longer.

It's fairly odd for them to stop selling a few items from the entire collection. I know there were some Creed fragrances this same store carried that never sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    I really shouldn't have the used the word "discontinued", or perhaps a "?" at the end of the topic title might have been more appropriate!

Sorry! It's entirely possible that some of these fragrances are just going to disappear from SOME stores, but that's not the same as discontinuing them.

I kind of liked Bois Rouge. The only one I've tried from his collection as a matter of fact. Too bad.

Moss breches will be missed. =/

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 3 Tom Ford Private Blend fragrances possibly discontinued?

Still saw the 3 in question at London's Selfridges 2 weeks ago, and got to sample the (in)famous Velvet "blue cheese" Gardenia (love it, but too floral for me to wear) and Moss Breches (like Jenson said, if you have VC&A pH you wont really miss MB).

I believethe Private Blend brand is at that point today where other houses/brands had been in the past, which explains why certain scents that are popular and common in some countries are not available (or hard to find) in other countries. It just may be all about sales and the money.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Yesterday at Selfridges (London) they no longer had either Moss Breches or Velvet Gardenia as part of their lineup. (???) ... (I'm afraid I'm not too 100% sure of Bois Rouge though. I did not notice it, but it might have been there ?? But the other two were definitely not there !)

So it is definitely looking like they have perhaps been discontinued.

(I would have thought this would have had nothing to do with the "moss restrictions" surely ? For otherwise why would he have released such a lovely moss rich frag, if he knew they would restrict him. So I'm presuming that when it was composed they would have already taken the restrictions into account. So I kinda doubt it is because of that !
    I mean, Moss Breches was surely well mossy anyway, however they achieved it ???

I do so wonder why they've decided to pull them ??? ... (Unless, as stated above, they are pulling them from only a few outlets ???

Anyone know any more concrete info on this ???

A SA in Manchester Selfridges said the same thing when I asked to try Velvet Gardenia earlier this week. She explained that it wasn't out on display because it was being discontinued and that if I like it then I should buy while I can.

So it seems that it is true after all ... and that these three Velvet Gardenia, Bois Rouge and Moss Breeches are definitely "up for the chop" ! ....

Damn ! .... I really liked Moss Breeches, .... and have not even had the chance to sample Bois Rouge and Velvet Gardenia on my own skin yet . (And it's lookin like I'll not get the chance to now either ! )

Bye, bye, Moss Breches. There was nothing else quite like you out there.

It's been officially confirmed to me (by a Tom Ford rep- corporate, not retail) that some scents are being phased out. Moreover, this has been the plan all along, as Tom Ford himself stated in a 2007 interview to WWD.
    My most recent post about it:
    http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/200...-tom-ford.html

Basenotes Institution

So sad. My decants of Velvet Gardenia and Moss Breches will be gone soon, I guess I better get busy replacing them.

I still haven't found one that I *love*...Oud Wood was closest, but I found something better. Maybe the musk collection...I love the bottles.

I know ... so sad that just because they are not loved by the masses, they have to go. What a pity !

I mean, I've not even sampled Velvet Gardenia on skin yet ! ... Or even Purple Patchouli for that matter, which I've heard is probably the next one to go ! ... Boo Hoo !

Oh well, lets hope they replaced with some that are even better !? ... At least it gives us something to look forward to ! ....

I just hope Oud Wood doesn't ever meet the same fate ... For that one I really would miss ! ... I think it's an excellent composition !!! ... Luv it luv it luv it !!!

Bois Rouge is amazing to me...so glad to have purchased the last bottle they had at Saks! It wasn't even on display, the SA got one that was hidden somewhere behind the counter.
    I found this one more compelling and exotic than the others I tested that day.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Moss Breches is the only TF that I absolutely adore. drat.
    Everything else seems to have a close enough cousin to replace it, but not this one.

I can see the Tom and his buddies rubbing their hands together with evil smirks on their faces as they know all-too-well that any hint of 'discontinutation' will bring the basenoters out en masse to scoop up every last bottle of his fetid offerings!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I love layering Moss Breches with Tabacco Vanille---Heavenly!
    I'd greatly miss MB.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

From the folks at Sak's in San Francisco: Purple Patchouli is also being discontinued.

Retested Velvet Gardenia while there, though. It made an awful impression on me the first time - this time, it smelled far worse. Forget discontinuation, all for banishing this to the nether regions of Hell, say aye!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    From the folks at Sak's in San Francisco: Purple Patchouli is also being discontinued.
    I was told the same in London Selfridges
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

(Off topic) The guy at the London Selfridges Tom Ford counter was a twat when I was in there last week. I asked him to refill my Tom Ford atomiser and he refused. I pointed to the one they had on display and asked why do they sell it but not refill it. He walked away to the next person. I came back later and bought Bois Marocain - but made sure to give another salesperson the credit.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post

Retested Velvet Gardenia while there, though. It made an awful impression on me the first time - this time, it smelled far worse. Forget discontinuation, all for banishing this to the nether regions of Hell, say aye!
    I am also not fond of Velvet Gardenia so it's no loss to me. I really wanted to love it ......
    ( Just a note .... I had a dream the other day that Tom Ford was bringing out another gardenia scent called Pure Gardenia ! I was so happy in my dream. - what is my subconscious telling me....... )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sur la Plage

I talked to the Tom Ford Area Account Executive and she told me that Moss Breches is not discontinued. However, there is talk of "retiring" it in the near future.

I'm not exactly sure what that means......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Good news Joe. I think.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Any news about the possible discontinuation?