Code of Conduct

Default Fran. Smalto, Salvador Dali, or Ted Lapidus?

I am really interested in owning a fragrance that was released the year I was born (1987). Of the few that are still in production, I've identified the following three scents as appropriate for me (affordable and easily obtainable): Francesco Smalto Pour Homme, Salvador Dali Pour Homme and Ted Lapidus Pour Homme. I have read all their reviews but the only thing I seem to get from the reviews is that all three are big, "powerhouse", 80s style fragrances.

My question is: If you had a 22 year-old nephew/son/friend/etc. that you knew like woody, bold yet versatile fragrances, which of the three would you buy for him and why?

If there is another fragrance from 1987 that you think would be better suited yet still afforable and such, please feel free to offer your thoughts. I sincerely appreciate any suggestions.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Fran. Smalto, Salvador Dali, or Ted Lapidus?

The Salvador Dali is surealistic fragrance designed by an artist of the surealist genre. Check the notes. If he likes spice and incense this is the one I would go for and in fact I own this fragrance. Even the bottle is sureal.

Default Re: Fran. Smalto, Salvador Dali, or Ted Lapidus?

I own all three and I'm very happy with them. I think the most versatile of them is the Francesco Smalto. After that I think the Ted Lapidus. The Dali is very good at what it does, but I find it a single track through the day and don't think it does much. I don't hesitate to wear it, and don't regret having it, but often by the end of the day I want to change into something else.

I really like the Smalto and Ted Lapidus for price, longevity, interest, complexity. The Lapidus is a bit thicker smelling so it feels more evening to me. That's why I say Smalto first of all.

Good ones to pick from!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    The Salvador Dali is surealistic fragrance designed by an artist of the surealist genre. Check the notes. If he likes spice and incense this is the one I would go for and in fact I own this fragrance. Even the bottle is sureal.
    Very well put, and seconded by me.

I just got Salvador Dali (encouraged by the polarised reviews in the Reviews board). this scent is almost unreal. I have TL pour Homme and smelt the Smalto in the same shop i got the Dali, but was not too swayed. Nothing, IMO, (even Yatagan) comes close to this castoeum bomb in terms of starkness. You will need chutzpah to wear this though. On the other hand, maybe you will be endowed with a hairy(er) chest when you do As an aside, just last night i sprayed some on my hand and asked my wife to smell it, waiting with glee to see the look of shock and alarm on her face. She loved it!!!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I third the Salvador Dali PH.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I have two of them and would like to own Dali

Smalto is more formal and dry, Smalto is more sexy and romantic but also great for formal use

Yet another voice for Salvador Dali PH. If I had a cool young friend or nephew born in 1987 who liked woody, bold fragrances, I'd buy this for him in a heartbeat. It's a great fragrance in a super cool bottle and not nearly as scary as some of the reviews make it out to be. I love it and think it fits your description of what you want perfectly.

Ted Lapidus - longer lasting

Francesco Smalto, hands down.

Sur la Plage

Salvador Dali is the only one worth owning of the three, IMO. But none of them should be blind buys.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 19th August 2009 at 10:20 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I kept smelling Salvador Dali for about three years, not knowing what to make of it, not knowing whether I even liked it or not.
    Finally I bought, and I really do think it something special.
    But it certainly took me a while, so I understand the mixed reaction to it.
    Renato

Recommending Dali as a blind-buy for a newbie? Are you guys trying to lead him to the darkside? Unless you know what you're in for, I'd recommend Lapidus or Smalto which are more safe. We don't want our young ones messing with the dark stuff quite yet.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

This is a really good question...you cant go wrong with Lapidus....or smalto these ones are amazing!!!! Try Ungaro 2 and Balenciaga as well!!!

One that would be an absolutely excellent candidate because of it's notoriety, excellence and rarity ... (Though, of course, because of those exact same things, I also very much doubt that you would actually be able to find a bottle anywhere) ... Would be Chanel's "Bois Noir" ! ....
    Bois Noir was released in 1987 , but flopped and was soon retracted. It was then again rereleased (with a little light tweaking, but generally the same) in 1990 as Egoiste (L'Egoiste) ... and was a smashing hit ! ~ Stunning frag !
    So my vote for an excellent "Birthyear Commemorative" frag goes to "Bois Noir" ... If only you could find one !? ... But happy hunting !!!

Then, if your spending could go a little "spendier" ... And you wanna go for more of a "famous" "classic". Then you could also go for the very woody ... Creed ~ "Bois du Portugal" ... also released 1987 ! ~ Very recognisable though !

From your choices : If ya like a slightly "greener" herby lavender/anise/mossy fougere ... then go for
    ~ Smalto ... (Personally I think this one's boring ! (But then fougere's aren't really my thing !)
    Or if ya prefer something that you will never actually be able to decide if you actually like or not ??? Though certainly interesting ... and will certainly be noticed. & With the oddest best bottle out the lot !
    ~ Salvador Dali Pour Homme (It certainly is one "hell-o-va dark avant-garde" blend !)
    Or, on the other hand ya really like Patchouli. Or Sandalwood ( a touch of leather), under a honeyed heart, and slightly odd fruity lemony/pineapple top ... Then I would go with the one I actually think is probably your safest "blind" choice ... the ~ Ted lapidus Pour Homme

Though I would really recommend sampling them all first ... for they really are all very different from one another.
    But I do think the easiest one to wear for your age is probably the Ted Lapidus (But you really must like patchouli to enjoy it, otherwise steer well clear from it !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 19th August 2009 at 01:32 PM.

Wow...Such great and interesting feedback! I really appreciate all of you who have offerred your thoughts or suggestions regarding my inquiry.

What I have gatherred from your posts is that SDPH is probably the most bold and daring of the three. This option would potentially take longer to warm up to, but I might ultimately experience more satisfaction with this choice. Francesco Smalto & Ted Lapidus sound like two fragrances that I could more readily wear, which at this point is more important to me. I have decided to sample FS & TL for now. Eventually, I will purchase a bottle of SDPH to take my time with and explore. Maybe even further down the road, I'll try Creed BdP.

Thanks again to all of you for your help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    Wow...Such great and interesting feedback! I really appreciate all of you who have offerred your thoughts or suggestions regarding my inquiry.

What I have gatherred from your posts is that SDPH is probably the most bold and daring of the three. This option would potentially take longer to warm up to, but I might ultimately experience more satisfaction with this choice. Francesco Smalto & Ted Lapidus sound like two fragrances that I could more readily wear, which at this point is more important to me. I have decided to sample FS & TL for now. Eventually, I will purchase a bottle of SDPH to take my time with and explore. Maybe even further down the road, I'll try Creed BdP.

Thanks again to all of you for your help!!!
    You should indeed test Creed BdP when you get the chance.
    To me, it's an okay scent, but I'd prefer Salvador Dali or Ted Lapidus to it any day (I'm in the minority here on this one).
    Renato

I just wanted to post a follow up for all those who chimed in with suggestions:

I ordered a sample of Francesco Smalto and Ted Lapidus. After trying both, I can understand why many of you suggested FS. Its definitely the better of the two as a blind buy, and it would probably be the most well received in a crowd. But honestly, something about TL Pour Homme tugged at my heart. It is just so deep, sweet, and utterly passionate! I am completely smitten by this scent. Its so funny how everyone's nose runs (excuse the pun) to something different. I can tell that this would not work for most, but on me the scent is unforgettable. Its the sweet honey and flowers in the middle that seal the deal for me. I still enjoy FS, and consider it more versatile, but TL is my choice of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Nothing, IMO, (even Yatagan) comes close to this castoeum bomb in terms of starkness. You will need chutzpah to wear this though.
    perfaddict, are talking about the Ted Lapidus or the Dali here (i.e. the castoreum bomb)?

I must stress: Salvador Dali PH

Timkm1, PM me and I'll send you a mini of the SDPH so you too can be convinced