Code of Conduct

Thread: musks

Default musks

I have Givaudan's Cosmone and Musk R1. Both of which are so pretty — if not even like fresh laundry on their own. I'm having trouble getting these to smell exotic and oriental. I want pungent spice and very dry vaguely-cedary drydowns that will accentuate spicier notes. I don't want the musk to leap off the body with sugar and flowers, I want them to hold close like strange woods. It seems like I'm using the totally wrong product for what I am trying to achieve — these two muscs pair so well with florals to me. Does anyone have thoughts to share on specific musks and how they are best used?
    Last edited by fennec; 25th August 2009 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: musks

If your looking for a pungent, dry cedar that goes great with spice (also has a bit of a musky feel even though it's not a musk per se), you should try some Iso E Super - many people describe it as either a woody amber or a fuzzy (kind of like fizz in a soft drink) cedar.

Definitely worth a shot.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 25th August 2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    If your looking for a pungent, dry cedar that goes great with spice (also has a bit of a musky feel even though it's not a musk per se), you should try some Iso E Super - many people describe it as either a woody amber or a fuzzy (kind of like fizz in a soft drink) cedar.

Definitely worth a shot.
    I do have Iso E Super. I have been experimenting with it to develop it's potential. It's a little blank on it's own I think. Suggestions for pairing?

I've found that it goes especially well with incense and resins, like frankincense and sandalwood, as well as spices like cumin. As for citrus, lemon and lime go very well too.

The weird thing about Iso E Super is that it IS boring on its own, just like you said - it only blooms when it's mixed with other ingredients, resulting in a dry and austere feeling, as well as increasing sillage and longevity. It's been called the MSG of the fragrance industry by many on these boards!
    Sales thread here

fascinating. I'm going to give it a try with some more resinous notes. I've noticed a few things are MSG-like among my chems.

Now to find a musk. . .

You might try blending in a few drops of costus esstenial oil into your musk...it's very potent!

Costausol work? I'll order it. . .

I hear Angelica is added to musks a lot as well. To what effect, do you know per chance?

A lot of "musks" are sweet with only little animal notes, but you can add animal notes to get the desired effect. Civet, cade, woods and spices ore only few of the modifiers you can use in this case.

Angelica root oil is certainly an option, has some earthy herbal smell with musky elements in it.

Iso E Super goes with everything .

I want ... dry vaguely-cedary drydowns that will accentuate spicier notes. I don't want the musk to leap off the body with sugar and flowers, I want them to hold close like strange woods.
    I like (the unsaturated macrocyclic lactone musk) Habanolide for this. Perfumer's Apprentice carries Habanolide.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I would try cashmeran, ambrox, or cetalox in combination with cedryl acetate or methyl cedryl ketone or sandalwood molecules like ebanol, sanjinol, etc... in order to take the musks in a new direction. Also don't forget patchouli in addition to the resins to go the oriental route.