Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default S o t D Wednesday 26 August

Goodmorning!

For a wonderful cool morning, coffee on the balcony and the still delicious cake from yesterday
    You see, Brielle? I am really listening to your advice!

Have a peaceful Wednesday, all
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Default S o t D Wednesday 26th August

Morning, all!

Promising to be hot again today, so I went with Philosykos. Kitty wrinkled her nose.

@VM: my mum was reminded of the hotel chain, too, but I hadn't really thought of it. I compromised by giving my mum permission to call her Isis rather than Ibis.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Thumbs up Re: S o t D Wednesday 26 August

Impact de POUR UN HOMME
    extrait

CARON
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: S o t D Wednesday 26 August

Oops! That'll teach me to refresh the page before starting a Sotd. Mods?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Blog Entries

Smile Re: S o t D Wednesday 26th August

Guerlain Mitsouko.

Decided to go with this SOTD, rather than the other one currently showing too!
    I am going to put on some Apres l'Ondee after my shower and just pray it doesn't
    have me in tears like the last time I tested it.

I only have the tester, So if anyone has a cap laying around, let me know ,let's work something out! :d
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Today I'm in an interesting perfume: Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker.
    "Interesting? But it's so mass-market you can buy it anywhere for pennies!" I hear you cry. Well yes, that's one of the reasons I realised this morning that it's interesting. I keep my little 30ml bottle in the bathroom cabinet for quick and easy go-anywhere spritzing (I have one of those little pebble-shaped Ryobi bottles of Kenzo Flower in there for exactly the same reason). And nowadays, these are what I reach for when I want something easy easy and inoffensive for the school run (well, walk - I don't run if I can help it). It's easy easy easy stuff to wear, but it has that little whipcrack of sharpness to it that makes me think it's intelligent. OK, so this might be essentially NR for Her wearing horn-rimmed spectacles, but I think it's my generation's White Linen.

White Linen is what our Mums wore, which might explain why it gets overlooked so often (along with Blue Grass). Really good scents that our Mums wore every day to take us to school or to go to work or to go to church, with a carefully-hoarded bottle of Chanel No. 5 for special occasions.

OK, so I'm not likely to ever be so minimalist with my perfume wardrobe, but I kind of like the idea that this is what my daughter's memory of being walked to school will smell of.

By the way, Small is now loving school. She says it's funky. Still speaks no German, but seems to be settling in. She now says "Gute Morge, Frau Lightsabre' and shakes her teacher's hand each morning. Very very cute. (That's not her teacher's real name, by the way. But it's what Big and I call her.)

Yesterday the class celebrated Small's birthday (which was on Monday). All the kids came to collect her with a little wooden wagon she rode to school in. Thankfully we live 500 yards from the school, so the kids weren't exhausted. She took in 'Znuni' (second breakfast) of banana-chocolate muffins which we made the night before because she loves to cook. She brought home a ladybird glovepuppet *aaaarrrggghhh!!!!!* which I forgot to return this morning!!!!! Right - got to go find it and pick her up from school.

Hope you all have lovely days and get to mentally ride in the little wooden wagon and cuddle the ladybird.
    xxxxx
    PS been away for a bit because we had visitors and took Small to Disneyland Paris for the weekend for her birthday. Madness, but glorious.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is L'Artisan Tea for Two.

Notes include gentian, neroli, bergamot, cinnamon, ginger, smoked tea, aniseed, honey, vanilla and guaiacwood.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Chergui (Serge Lutens)

Gratuitous mishmash today - this may be a hard habit to shake. Just reminding myself of the following, but not testing as such:

Chanel 31 rue Cambon (well, wanted to finish a tiny drop in the vial more like)

Kenzo 7.15 am in Bali (love this one!)

RL Lauren original

L'Artisan Safran Troublant

Bvlgari Jasmin Noir

This may not be the end of it - I have a spare wrist and the postman hasn't been yet...

"So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Poivre Samarcande

Have a great day everyone.

Teo Cabanel Oha for me today.

Riannon... I'm envious of your Double Vanille! I bet you smell fabulous today.

For me, it's AL Love's True Bluish Light... I hope Serena at least decides to make this in perfume oil form, if she never returns to EDPs.
    Last edited by inscentiable; 26th August 2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: messed up my tags doh
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Frau Lightsabre....beautiful!

As we head into the last days of August I realized I hadn't worn one of my favorite summer scents yet this summer.

Annick Goutal Eau D'Hadrien

I love to go out and eat at a nice restaurant, order the chef's tasting menu, be presented with multiple courses of amazing culinary concoctions and roll home sated and satisfied. The next day I am usually up for something much less complex. A nice piece of fish simply spiced on the grill and some fresh summer vegetables always seems right. As I eat the simpler meal I am always reminded that there are joys in simpicity. As it is with food so it is with perfume. I will wax poetically about a scent with overlapping accords that combine to create new artistic leaps of scent. Then there is the 1981 creation, by Annick Goutal and Francis Camail, Eau D'Hadrien. This is the olfactory version of simple, well-blended perfection. Eau D'Hadrien has six listed notes but there are only four that I smell when I wear it; lemon, grapefruit, citron, and cypress. The development is as straight-forward as can be. The top is tart lemon and grapefruit but the lemon is dominant. As the scent progresses the citron takes the lead toning down the tarter aspects of the beginning notes. The base is a clean, light cypress note. That's it, there is nothing else to report but that doesn't mean this isn't one of the best citrus scents out there. Eau D'Hadrien has above average longevity especially for this class of cologne. It also just feels comfortable. Like most colognoisseurs I am looking for the next great thing but along the way I'm going to stop and sniff the simple well-constructed things and remember there is pleasure to be found there.

Have a Wicked Wednesday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I'm with kewart in APRES L'ONDEE

Good morning, folks.

Rhiannon, I'm glad your celebration continues...;-)

I'm feeling devastated with the loss of Teddy Kennedy, shortly after midnight.
    No one will ever uncover how much good he did- for the average Joe- including my late MIL, and my husband's family,among so many others.

Even when hospitalized at MGH [ briefly], he was a consummate gentleman-
    Appreciative and generous of spirit.

Kama today.

Diorella by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by inscentiable View Post
    For me, it's AL [b]Love's True Bluish Light[/i]... I hope Serena at least decides to make this in perfume oil form, if she never returns to EDPs.
    I checked the new website, and couldn't see it even in oil form, which is concerning to someone who just discovered how lovely it is!

http://www.etsy.com/profile.php?user_id=7640282

Wearing the lovely Giselle, Carla Fracci, today. It is incandescent, just like Fracci when she danced. It is one of two in my ballerina fragrance collection. The other is Alicia, named for the great Alicia Alonso.

Wordbird, you've hit the nail on the head! Lovely IS your generations' White Linen What an absolutely satisfying conclusion - I love it! It is a wonderful 'go to' or 'multi-purpose' frag, a 'wardrobe staple' even.

When I was a new basenoter, our dear Quarry used to wear this little number called Mira Bai, put out by Chopard. I had never tried it, until yesterday. A light and clever floral/gourmand with a woody base. Needless to say, I left the shop (Perfume World, a mall store which happens to carry some higher end bottles - even a couple from Amouage! I'd say authentic as well, of course I sampled them ) with a bottle of my very own! It was also on sale - which made it irresistible - so for $23.00 clams it was neatly tucked into my bag. It's my SOTD. Have a great one folks!

Hi everyone,
    MAC MV2 for me today
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Good morning...ehm...day all Today is a gorgeous late Summer/ early Autumn day.I actually think i'm gonna walk to university by taking the forrestpath that isn't too far away from here.Sotd is Miss Dior. Hope you all have a nice day!

ฺํD&G By Man. Yum!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Creed Silver Mountain Water today. Another hot day scheduled and another storm roiling in the Atlantic
    Last edited by kbe; 26th August 2009 at 02:13 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Good morning, my charming chickadees!

I think the dragon's nest-building, as she's still on the roof!

If I again prattle on about how much I love Wordie's and Ubu's posts, the rest of you won't think I love you equally, which isn't true. So

Nanadebary Green pour moi aujourd'hui.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Decided to go with this SOTD, rather than the other one currently showing too!
    I am going to put on some Apres l'Ondee after my shower and just pray it doesn't
    have me in tears like the last time I tested it.
    Oh no, no tears! It's too beautiful for tears.

Today it's Chanel Beige for this breezy clear summer day- no humidity and the wind is so sweet. I have the Exclusif bottle but just love this image:

beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

sotd:
    Tom Ford
    Japon Noir
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Rainy here in the USA midwest. I'm "pulled together" for the first time this week and have topped it off with No. 5 edt. You can never go wrong with Chanel.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Basenotes Institution

Good morning everyone from my small slice of the world ! Havea great day.

Wordbird- many happy returns for Small's birthday !! Disneyland Paris is wonderful but I haven't been for years ( and it rained a lot when I did go ! ) . I laughed reading that you call Small's teacher Frau Lightsabre ! So... I am not the only one with nicknames for teachers ! I love reading your posts.

SoTD is Fracas EDP .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Our visitors pulled out this morning. They're heading to Washington DC for some sightseeing before they go home and their kids start the new school year. I'm wearing Cedar essence oil by a company called Clear Light, who are based in New Mexico. They make these amazing smelling products from the green cedar leaves (needles? fronds?) of the cedar trees that grow there in the mountains. The scent is amazing -- very green, gloriously alive and uplifting, not like the wood that smells like a cedar chest (when nice) or hamster cage shavings (when not as). I may have to order the soap and body lotion in this as well. Fantastic stuff!

Love the Small story, Wordbird! Happy (belated) Birthday to her! And I agree that Covet is an interesting fragrance. It's very wearable in an everyday way, but it is modern and unique too.

And SMM is smelling nice in Eau d'Hadrien today. It's my palate cleanser. It's always perfect when I've glutted on too many other rich things. Although my green cedar oil has the same effect, so it may become my new favorite in that category.

Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday!

Blog Entries

I'm wearing my favorite lily fragrance, the discontinued AG Des Lys.
    Can't for the life of me understand why this was discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    ...I am going to put on some Apres l'Ondee after my shower and just pray it doesn't have me in tears like the last time I tested it.
    I'm actually envious, kewart. I cry easily, but a perfume has never put me in tears.

Riannon, glad to see that you embraced the "continued celebration" concept. I do it for the whole month of my birthday!

Wordbird, if you ever write a book that focuses on your day-to-day life, I will line up to buy it. Your posts are truly precious!

I'm off to work now. SotD is Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre from my blind-buy mini. I'm very pleased with it!
    Last edited by Haunani; 26th August 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Testing Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmine White Moss today. Boy, is it ever pretty. An elegant, feminine blend of crisp, fresh green notes softened by a touch of fruit (I'm getting a little melon, ala Roudnitska) and lush, wet florals. It's just the thing on this oppressively hot and humid day.

Best to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I have added By Kilian Straight to Heaven to the spare wrist.

Straight to The Lumber Yard, more like. After civet and indoles, the other note I appear to amplify to the exclusion of all else is cedar. This is seriously planky, no question.

Casmir

Six Scents n.3, nice wooden vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    Casmir
    Now that's an interesting idea for the heat! Will have to try it later. Already started with Nina Ricci Fleur de Fleurs.

Chanel No. 19 EDT

Spending the day in the lovely Pafums de Nicolai Le Temps d'Une Fete.

Notes (from Luckyscent): galbanum, mastic, opoponax, narcissus, hyacinth, daffodil, styrax, oakmoss, sandalwood

La Mome today!

SotA = Aqua Allegoria Figue-Iris. Perfect for these broiling sunny dog days.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post

Straight to The Lumber Yard, more like. ... This is seriously planky, no question.
    Love this ~ very funny!

Like, Chaya, I am feeling very sad today about the news of Ted Kennedy's death. I was watching television late last night when I saw the sudden outpouring of news coverage about him, so I knew that meant he had passed. I remember volunteering at a big-deal fundraiser for Mondale/Ferraro in NYC and the room being abuzz because he was scheduled to make a quick appearance. When he did, all the movie stars in the room lost a bit of their wattage as they craned their necks for a closer look at him. I think he was in the room all of a minute, perhaps, but oh, the impact he made.

Sorry to go on so long. SOTD is Ume, thanks to a very generous BNer. Take good care, all.

GM dear BNers...as usual, love to read the thread with the day's thoughts and happenings...thanks so much for sharing them.

SMM, I also have been neglecting my bottle of Hadrien. You remind me that I should wear this one more often...

SotD for me is FM L'Eau d'Hiver over the Perlier White Musk lotion (just a smidge mixed into my usual Creme de Corps). The little one objected to the scented lotion...she seems to like florals, gourmands, and Guerlain on her mommy...

Hugs to all...

Susanne Lang - Cashmere 51 today.

Soothing, musky and sophisticated.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Default Re: S o t D Wednesday 26th August

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Morning, all!

@VM: my mum was reminded of the hotel chain, too, but I hadn't really thought of it. I compromised by giving my mum permission to call her Isis rather than Ibis.
    Veuve, I have been feeling bad about the crassness of my post, when Ibis is of course also the sacred avian representation of the god Thoth. Isis as an alternative name for your Mum to use is a good call, as from my rudimentary grasp of Eygyptian deities, they all seemed to hang out together. I think I have just stayed in too many hotels...

Puss does have a very noble look about her, so to name her after a god is spot on!

Last edited by VM I hate civet; 26th August 2009 at 09:07 PM.

Wordie: I also rate Lovely. It has terrific evolution, and is a really enjoyable, everyday wear. Though you do make me feel old -- I recall wearing White Linen when I was around 16 or 17

3xasif: just how beautiful is that Beige advert? Gorgeous!

Am in Insolence EDP tonight; quite a different beast to its EDT sister. It's outrageously strong, and I must say ... I like it! As a one-off, that is, and in a managably small dose.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

Rest in Peace Ted Kennedy .

Back from the gym and now in Beyond Love By Kilian . This wonderful liquid sticks like glue - thankfully for me .....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

The morning I was testing Shiloh while at work
    and then I put Iris Poudre.

Last edited by *dora*; 26th August 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Happy birthday, Small (I'd also devour a book about Wordie's daily musings...)

Wore Breath of God today. Have been feeling extremely exhausted and a bit disoriented and had to head down to Poole for an intense all-day meeting very early this morning. Decided to go for this scent almost instinctively; today it felt like an alchemist's potion-men's cologne hybrid and for the whole day I had a sensation of a strange guardian angel being right next to me, in scent-form. An oddly comforting, if completely not typical perfume experience. It felt as though the scent wasn't coming off my skin if that makes any sense at all.

Two more sleeps to our meet! And today I found out that we are very likely to get some V.I.P.s for our morning...

I'm wearing LV Musk today.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Perry Ellis 360 Degrees for Men
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

1) "Frau Lightsabre" is perhaps one of the coolest names out there. I want a Bond Girl by this name, darn it!

2) Cruised through Sephora with 3 wee daughters today, as a team of 4 snuffling noses.

A.) DD #1 has her own loves and really likes Ed Hardy Love and Luck (the white packaging one). Way too expensive retail for an 11 yo, but not bad on ebay....but, is this one trendy enough to be counterfeited?
    B.) I walked away with decants of Fracas and Gucci. Look forward to snuffling.
    C.) Another attempt at liking Shalimar. I thought that since I have, in recent months, fallen in love with countless Guerlain vintage scents, I'd be "ready" to like Shalimar. No Go....we went straight from wince-inducing bug spray to boring old powder and vanilla. I feel like I "should" appreciate Shalimar on a matter of principle, but I just can't do it. Wah.
    D) Well, I was sick of the Shalimar drydown and it was a hot day, so I went over to the Prada Infusion D'Iris display for a novel experiment in the world of florals, which aren't always my favorites. I gave a healthy blast from the tester, only to notice after the fact that it was labelled AMBER on the top. I can't seem to figure out what this scent was....original Prada? Amber for men? (It was the women's section) The new Eau Ambree? Whatever it was, there was very little Amber involved, and much patchouli. I smell like THAT girl now...you know the one. In college, she'd stand out in the field at the Registration barbeque, dancing alone? When there was no music playing? Yeah.

3) Yes, I outlined this post in proper format, and yes, I am a huge nerd. Why do you ask?
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 27th August 2009 at 01:24 AM.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Straight to The Lumber Yard, more like. After civet and indoles, the other note I appear to amplify to the exclusion of all else is cedar. This is seriously planky, no question.
    Planky! Another word for the Basenotes dictionary.

Today I wore a dab of Blackberry Sage perfume oil from a local artisan. Blackberry! Sage! Yum!

(Feeling loopy, running on empty today.)

I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

Good evening all, hope the day was a wonderful one.

Riannon, i am so happy you are still celebrating, keep it up as long as you like, i encourage you.

Wordie, Happy Birthday to our beloved Small. You must write a book "The Adventures of Small", i have been telling you this for ages, it will be a best seller.
    On my next birthday, will you all come round and pull me in a little wagon, it brings back such nice childhood memories. I guess it is not common in the states to do things like that, hubby looked at me as if i were a kook. This is why i miss Europe, charming little traditions.

I also am quite saddened by the news of dear Teddy Kennedy, this country has lost its soul, of that i am sure. The man was and will always remain the true knight of the people, such a tragic loss.

Since our wonderfully humid weather will not leave me in peace, this makes 3 weeks of feeling crappy now, i put on a little Tiare (the original) by CSP to lighten the mood and lift the spirits.

Tonight i will wear some Fantasia de Fleurs by Creed, because it is one of my favorites.

Have peaceful sleep my loveys, big hugs for all.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Elixir Des Merveilles
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Blog Entries

Hi all!

Today's SOTD has been L'Artisan Parfumeur Mandarine Tout Simplement.

On me, this was 5% mandarin and 95% lily.

The mandarine top is nice but very fleeting, leading to the characteristic wet green peppery floral of lily. The lily is quite nicely done, and the mandarin is good, but it's lacking in magic - I like it, but it's not really moving me.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Default Re: S o t D Wednesday 26th August

Veuve, I have been feeling bad about the crassness of my post, when Ibis is of course also the sacred avian representation of the god Thoth. Isis as an alternative name for your Mum to use is a good call, as from my rudimentary grasp of Eygyptian deities, they all seemed to hang out together. I think I have just stayed in too many hotels...

Puss does have a very noble look about her, so to name her after a god is spot on!

No need for bad feelings! Life's too short for them.
    I hadn't intended to aim for an Egyptian theme, really - the real motivation for calling her Ibis was much more mundane. Ibises come in black, white and scarlet, and this is a black, white and sc... all right, *ginger* kitty.

Unrelated: thoroughly pissed off since I woke up with a grotesquely swollen upper lip. Mosquitos and allergies are a fun combo, indeed. Popped my antihistamine, but I really ought to stay awake and make sure the swelling doesn't progress or I'll need to go to hospital. *Sigh*
    Last edited by Morgaine; 27th August 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Douglas Adams