Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a Spicy Rose scent!

I'm not sure what I'm exactly looking for but there are two notes that I would like to test combined together. Rose and another spicy note (ginger, cardamom or even cinnamon). Rose scents I have tried so far seem to lack the bite needed that some of my favourite Amber scents have.

When I have tried Ambre Precieux, Ambre Russe and the drydown of Ambre Sultan they just give of this amazing powerful aura that is intoxicating. I have a feeling that a Rose with something tenacious will give a similar effect.

Have you tried anything somewhat similar to that description?

Thanks
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Default Re: Looking for a Spicy Rose scent!

Definitely Rose Poirvree by The Different Company

I'm not sure I have an answer for you. What you seem to be describing sounds more 80's style--not a rose perfume, per se, but an oriental with a clear rose note. Does that seem accurate? What you're describing sounds excellent. I want some! I'm imagining Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain layered with a very rich rose.
    But here are a couple attempts:
    Have you tried the Montale aoud rose fragrances? They are certainly spicy but don't have anything like an ambery feel. More dry, dry, dry and slightly musty, like a very rich version of citronella.
    Paestum Rose might be worth a sniff. It has some nice incense and a sharp quality, but again no amber.
    Now Caron Parfum Sacre might fit the bill. It actually does have a nice amber note, some beautiful myrrh and a robust rose. But I can't quite make it into a masculine, although I do wear it occasionally.

I'd second Rose Poivrée with its wonderful bay note. Certainly some of the stronger Montales are worth a try - I particularly enjoy Royal Oud myself. Another great one is Domenico Caraceni EdT - rose and tobacco, quite dark and masculine, if not spicy proper.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Sur la Plage

Tauer Une Rose Chypree

Notes include rose damascena, bay, cinnamon, bergamot, lemon, clementine, green Bourbon geranium, labdanum, oak moss, patchouli, vetiver, and vanilla.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Lately, a rose jam/gourmand note seems to be the accord that's being pushed on the public. I agree with you that a piercing rose, deep rose works best as a masculine. Black Oud does this accord quite well. For a cheapie I'll take Gres' Cabaret anyday.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th August 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Egoiste!

Les Parfums de Rosine Rose de Feu

I haven't actually tested this one,but Queen Bess by Ava Luxe seems to fit the bill according to the description of the scent and the notes listed.

How about Amouage Lyric...either Men's or Women's? I also enjoy layering my amber scents with rose essential oil or one of my rose laden perfumes.

I would always recomend the Montales but I don't get spiciness out of them. Nevertheless, intoxicating and breathtaking.
    I definitely second Domenico Caracenin EdT which is what came to my mind immediately. It does have the pepper and ambergris for some piercing spiciness. To my nose, this fits the bill.
    I also recommend Davidoff's Zino. It's very complex, with great development. Rich and opulent in feel.
    You should also try Paestum Rose although it didn't work for me.
    I haven't tried TDC's Rose Poivree but it sounds like it would be great too.

sample Dark rose by C. and Speake

Blog Entries

You might like Le Labo Rose 31. A peppery rose with attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I also recommend Davidoff's Zino. It's very complex, with great development. Rich and opulent in feel.
    excellent suggestion.

Gatsby by Pafums Pacoma

Saffron + Rose = Washington Tremlett's Black Tie

I agree that you should try Rose Poivree. Also recommend Miller et Bertaux Shanti Shanti (Bulgarian Rose Petals, Iris Extract, Cardamom, Patchouli, Indian Sandalwood) and Ormonde Jayne Ta'if (Pink Pepper, Saffron, Dates, White Peach, Ta’if Roses, Orange Blossom, Broom, Freesia, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine. Amber, Tonka Bean, Musk, Vanilla Absolute). All three are quite stunning, IMO.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Renaissance_Man

I also recommend Davidoff's Zino.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    excellent suggestion.
    Support seconded.

Please also sample M Micallef's Aoud Homme - rose, saffron, oud, honey.

While at it, please seek out the discontinued Acteur by Azzaro. Spicy Rose. Actually one of the closest matches i know from very limited sampling.
    Last edited by perfaddict; 27th August 2009 at 03:30 PM.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Lately, a rose jam/gourmand note seems to be the accord that's being pushed on the public. I agree with you that a piercing rose, deep rose works best as a masculine. Black Oud does this accord quite well. For a cheapie I'll take Gres' Cabaret anyday.
    Cabaret is a great dark rose, and great value for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cusut View Post
    Definitely Rose Poirvree by The Different Company
    TDC Rose Poivree is a dirty rose, too dirty for me, but definitely spicy. Cough cough *dirty undies* cough cough

I also like L'Artisan Voleur de Rose (patchouli-o-rama) which smells like Black Aoud Lite to me.

L'Arte di Gucci also verrry nice.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Some good spicy roses:

Penhaglion's Elixir ( my top pick - a very light and transparent, but fascinatingly spicy, with a ginger-cinnamon-clove piquancy melded to an ethereal yet warm rose )
    Tauer's Une Rose Chypree ( a rich, ambery-spicy rose with a load of geranium - his best fragrance, IMO )
    Tocca's Brigitte ( not as good as the previous two, but the ginger and rose top notes are stunning and deliciously spicy )

Zino's more rosewood than rose, but I think it would do. Also see Burberry Brit for Men though it's not as good as Zino, but it's definitely a spicy rose scent.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I'm not sure I have an answer for you. What you seem to be describing sounds more 80's style--not a rose perfume, per se, but an oriental with a clear rose note. Does that seem accurate? What you're describing sounds excellent. I want some! I'm imagining Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain layered with a very rich rose.
    But here are a couple attempts:
    Have you tried the Montale aoud rose fragrances? They are certainly spicy but don't have anything like an ambery feel. More dry, dry, dry and slightly musty, like a very rich version of citronella.
    Paestum Rose might be worth a sniff. It has some nice incense and a sharp quality, but again no amber.
    Now Caron Parfum Sacre might fit the bill. It actually does have a nice amber note, some beautiful myrrh and a robust rose. But I can't quite make it into a masculine, although I do wear it occasionally.
    Yes something along those lines. I'm thinking of a wild rose scent mixed with something that explodes with flavour. I haven't tried the Montale Rose fragrances yet, there on my hit list.

I was thinking something like an amber scent texture or something like CK Obsession with a rich rose!!!

BTW thank you everyone for the suggestions thus far.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz - Poivre is definitely worth a try. The rose is more prominent than her own description might lead you to believe.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    sample Dark rose by C. and Speake
    I have a sample of this and I don't really like it. The saffron and incense don't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    You might like Le Labo Rose 31. A peppery rose with attitude.
    I absolutely love this scent, not sure though that its that spicy.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Gatsby by Pafums Pacoma
    Is this scent in the directory?

Blog Entries

It sounds like maybe Czech & Speake #88 would be worth looking into. Plenty of spices & juicy for sure. Mouthwatering. Penhaligons-Hamman Bouquet is a more sedate rose, a barbershop variety, elegant & dry. And a male friend of mine who had never worn scent before absolutely flipped for Montale-Black Aoud.
    Last edited by kumquat; 27th August 2009 at 11:22 PM.

I'd second many of them so far...
    Black Tie by Washingtons Tremlett
    Montale Black Aoud
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Definitely Andy Tauer's Rose Chyprée and also Incense Rosé
    Perhaps even Amouage Lyric Man - I wouldn't call it "spicy" but it shares some of the intoxicating qualities you mentioned about the amber scents.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Historie de Parfums 1876

Chanel Egoiste or Coco EDP--both are rosy, ambery, spicy and have a huge kick!