Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Unhappy Know of any ALL WEATHER fragrance?

Here's a typical weather in Singapore.
    Outdoors: 80-95 deg, >85% humidity
    Indoor (airconditioned) : 64-72 deg, 50-65% humidity

What these mean:
    Your frag smells great in your office but as soon as you step out it tends to get cloying and 'ripe'. It's tough to pick the right scent.
    And it seem to limit my options to mostly fresh citrus/aquatics.

Do you know of any scent that performs well in ALL weather?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 26th August 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Default Re: Know of any ALL WEATHER fragrance?

Chanel Allure Sport
    Creed Himalaya
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair
    Hollister Jake

Maybe Terre d'Hermès, although I never had to test it under such EXTREME circumstances (lucky me - German summer has almost sung its swansong).
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 26th August 2009 at 09:26 PM.

I can just reiterate what others have said on this subject, but lighter applications of "heavier" scents in the extreme heat and humidity work. I wasn't a believer in it really until I tried it for myself..

The above suggestions are great, +1 on Gris Clair especially. I also think Creed GIT is wonderful for all seasons, as is Guerlain L'Instant (EdT), Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver, Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose, and Helmut Lang EdC.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 4th November 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Dior Homme Cologne- Mmmmmmmm
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 26th August 2009 at 09:44 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Plus

Wow! Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Will try them out if I can get a sample.

MatthewFoo, it seems you have figured out a way to make all of them work for you.
    I suppose I have to tweak and callibrate the 'dosage' for each frag as suggested by AnthonyDG. It looks to be an an art form...

Btw CK's Eternity and Guerlain's Vetiver will never work for me. There's something about them that doesn't sit well with my olfactory cells...

My best all weathers are Yatagan and Versace L' Homme.

The only fragrance I know of that works well in hot, cold, dry, humid and any other condition is Gendarme. It's a little thick for humid days, but other than that it always fits. Not my favorite fragrance but it never lets me down.
    Sales thread here

These first two, especially..

Versace Pour Homme
    Amouage Silver Man (also known as Silver Cologne.. it's EDP strength though!)

these also work for me in the heat (and other situations. Heat just seems to be the trickiest)..

Caron L'Anarchiste (applied lightly)
    Creed Erolfa (although I find this underwhelming in the cold)
    V&R Antidote
    Amouage Lyric Man
    MPG Grain de Plaisir
    ADP Colonia, Colonia Intensa
    Minotaure
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 26th August 2009 at 09:58 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    MatthewFoo, it seems you have figured out a way to make all of them work for you.
    I suppose I have to tweak and callibrate the 'dosage' for each frag as suggested by AnthonyDG. It looks to be an an art form...
    LOL I used avoid scents that react badly to excessive humidity and heat, but after a while, I noticed I was missing out on a lot of olfactory pleasures, so now I buy stuff I enjoy smelling, and try to work out the best situations(usually indoor and night for the heavier ones) to wear them. Those I listed above have worked for me even when I'm perspiring, though there are many in my wardrobe that I will absolutely avoid wearing if I know I am going to be outdoors for extended periods, since I perspire easily.
    AnthonyDG's suggestion of lighter application for heavier scents is a good one too.

I believe members moltening and Amit have and use MANY sophisticated and heavier-type fragrances. They also experience humidity and heat similar or worse than ours Edit: xmen, junkfood Jenson and JoNnY4 too i believe.
    Last edited by MFJ; 26th August 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Yachting by Pascal Morabito is a good all weather scent.

L'instant PH is a pretty versatile one for me....I love it in both summer and winter.

Creed GIT?
    Last edited by Big Punisher; 26th August 2009 at 10:54 PM.

Lots of great suggestions here. I'd add Guerlain Homme. Probably my favourite all-weather frag.

Off-Scenter

I'd second the recommendations of Aramis 900, L'Anarchiste, and Green Irish Tweed and add the following:

Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Ciel for Him
    Devin
    Dzongkha
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Idole de Lubin
    Givenchy III
    Iris Bleu Gris
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 26th August 2009 at 11:00 PM.

I'm in the same kind of weather except that the humidity here is 90% plus for a greater part of the year. I wear just about anything I please, just that I use a lighter hand for the heavier fragrances.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I see you have D&G PH in your wardrobe.. It should work well too, just spray lightly.
    Other frags that work well for me are:
    Bond No 9 Riverside Drive
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Jil Sander Man/Feeling Man
    Aramis Havana
    Rochas Desir de Rochas
    I just wear what I like, but remember to apply lesser if it is a stronger frag.
    Last edited by junkfood; 27th August 2009 at 12:32 AM.

Same weather here in neighboring Malaysia. Raining season seems to be coming, thank god for that. Matthewfoo's taste and mine are very similar so i pretty much agree with his list. But i'll like to add Chanel Pour Monsieur, Cool Water Deep, Prada Infusion d'Homme, Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude, YSL Kouros and Aramis (1965). The last two may seem too heavy but if u can get past the opening 30 mins u will be surprised with how well the drydown works in our weather.

I don't believe in wearing only lighter scents in hot weather. If I do that i pretty much will have a wardrobe full of aquatics I normally go 5 sprays with any frag i have. I'm not sure if that is considered as a light application, just right or over application. I believe that in our hot and humid weather, we actually need to spray a little more because of the amount we sweat. 2 sprays will last me most of the time till lunch. With 5 sprays i can get past a full day. The placement of those sprays is important too.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I'd give Dirty English a try, It's almost fresh enough (behind that heavy spice) to wear on hot days, and gives a really nice spicy kick on colder days/nights/places.

+1 on the Blue Jeans, and It can be had fairly cheap, Its dominant citrus notes shines on hotter places, and its creamy, almost gourmandy base is good in colder places.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Oh, and L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme INTENSE.

It is for me a pretty much all around scent, except for maybe for intimate/formal wear.
    Explodes in heat, and floats in cold weather/places.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

I Haven't tried a full wearing of Guerlain Vetiver, But I smelled it on a card, and thought the same, It's just a really gentlemanly scent that can go from morning to evening. hot to cold.

I live in a tropical country, too. And these are what I wear :
    +1 Gris Clair. I wanna add Chergui, which is also from Serge Lutens.

- 8 88 from CdG.
    - La nuit de l'Homme from YSL.
    - Tea for Two from L'artisan Pafumeur.
    - Tamdao from Diptique.
    - Le Jardin trio from Hermes.
    - Cologne from Thierry Mugler.

I think a simple Eau de Cologne will never be amiss in any weather. I wear Acqua di Parma Colonia, Eau Sauvage and Monsieur de Givenchy all year around when I want to smell good but unobtrusive.

Sur la Plage

Givenchy Vetyver works for me.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Kenzo Tokyo is my favourite "all weather" fragrance, different facets of the fragrance cone out in the heat as opposed to the cold, and it always preforms gorgeously.

I'm in Vietnam, and the weather is almost identical to that in Singapore.

You may believe it or not, but I can use Tauer's LaDDM almost everytime, everywhere and feel comfortable with it. Just keep a light hand (1-2 sprays).

Also, I'll second few suggestions as Tam Dao, GIT, Vetiver, etc...

Basenotes Plus

Impressive selections, guys! I'd love to try them esp L'artisan Parfumeur's Tea for Two & Serge Lutens' Gris Clair. Guess I'm in good company so I shall be a little more adventurous with my choice. However I meet many clients in clinical settings so I probably can't afford to wear anything too controversial. Just a few days ago I had a couple of drops of Obsession to the neck and it projected a tad too strongly. Naturally non fans of the scent were not impressed.

I think I'll reserve the strong ones for evenings out with those I can afford to offend and for after work events. Alternatively find a better work environment where the people have better developed senses of smell & style, eh?

Kiton
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Gendarme V
    YSL PH
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I live in north Texas and it's quite humid here as well. From my experience, emporio Armani "he" is a great all weather/ocassion fragrance. It's safe enough for office wear yet unique enough to wear out. It will get you compliments and is not overbearing.