Code of Conduct

Default but what if cologne/perfume is only ONE of your many addictions??

I am new to Basenotes, only a few weeks in and I have already made three cologne purchases. I know I'm a lightweight by most standards but there are two elements to this that worry me. First is that I know I will buy more, there is no doubt that within the next month or so my repertoire will be expanded. But more worrying is that while it is the beginning of a Cologne Acquisition Disorder, it is coming on the tail of other similar disorders.

Those familiar with the shaving enthusiast community will know (and likely suffer from) the other ADs that come along with it - Razor Acquisition Disorder, Straight Razor Acquisition Disorder, Shaving Soap Acquisition Disorder, Shaving Cream Acquisition Disorder, Aftershave Acquisition Disorder, the list goes on.

I have dozens of shaving creams, soaps and aftershaves so the buying of colognes was only a matter of time. But as you can see it is not a stand alone issue for me. My shaving den already dominates the entire bathroom counter and now a whole new line of products are going to be making their way in.

At first, my wife admired my interest in personal hygiene and that I was not spending money on my car or some other hobby. She understood my rational thinking for "quality", "niche", "specialty" products. "Wool Fat soap is better for my skin than canned goo" I'd say; or "I'll have less ingrowns or irritation with a 19th century straight vs a 5 blade vibrating gizmo"; and now its "this artist crafts the unique notes unlike that old Aqua Velva". She has been supportive but now I'm pushing the edges of hygiene, hobby and sanity.

Am I trying to convince her or myself? If I can curb my shaving cream purchases I can likely curb cologne buying as well, but what's next? Where does this end? Does it end?

Am I alone here at Basenotes in this regard or are there others that have acquisition disorders that span beyond the beautiful cologne/perfume world??
    Last edited by Not4you; 27th August 2009 at 03:55 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: but what if cologne/perfume is only ONE of your many addictions??

Not4you - you are in the right place !
    I think you are a collector like me - you have to embrace your inner collector- ism !
    I have realised that I collect stuff and perfume is not the only thing.
    Good luck - I think you are OK !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Dependent

It is a VERY common syndrome. Stick around and you will see that you are not alone, in more ways than one. As long as you are spending within your means and not neglecting responsibilities that should be priority, then I think you are absolutely fine!!

Blog Entries

I had to smile at this because perfume is certainly not my only enthusiasm. But I haven't spent much on the other passions this year, in order to acquire some perfumes I wanted.

It's all about balance and keeping your priorities in order.

I'm also addicted to nail polish I just did a count and I have 12 bottles of nail polish that isn't nearly as bad as my 38 bottles of perfume though
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

I too have had other "habits" in the past (or should I say in remission), but this one has been much more passionate. My husband usually has a problem when I start to spend a large sum of money on one thing (ie. shoes), however he has remained quite silent on this one. When I started trying to create my own fragrances I think he realized this wasn't just about wanting "stuff." I never would have tried to make my own shoes. Sometimes I wish he would make me stop for a while though....it's getting a little out of hand.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by laral28 View Post
    I too have had other "habits" in the past (or should I say in remission), but this one has been much more passionate. My husband usually has a problem when I start to spend a large sum of money on one thing (ie. shoes), however he has remained quite silent on this one. When I started trying to create my own fragrances I think he realized this wasn't just about wanting "stuff." I never would have tried to make my own shoes. Sometimes I wish he would make me stop for a while though....it's getting a little out of hand.
    I have been a keen reader of your blog entries, and I can blatantly tell that you are an enthusiast. I guess how this habit is different is that it involves a higher level of thought as opposed to mere appreciation for aesthetics (ie shoes). I look forward to hearing your opinions on the boards and hopefully learn from you as well.

I have an addictive personality so I'm basically just screwed until I win one of those cash-for-life prizes *lol*. In addition to perfume and scented products in general, I also love fashion so those are very expensive interests right there. I recently, however, received a major reality check in the form of my S.O. losing his job, so I won't be able to afford to indulge very much for the next little while. My recent blind buy binge turned out to be my last hurrah for awhile and I'm actually OK with it since I reckon it'll force me to stop and appreciate what I already have. I know I'm guilty of forgetting what I actually have and how much when I spot a good deal or when I'm excited about sampling new things.

I've gone from buying expensive bags to expensive shoes + fashion accessories and then to premium jeans and clothing. Each phase usually lasts between 6 - 12 months. Since the economy downturn late last year and the rise in USD, my obsession has turned from those to makeup. It's a cheaper thrill that keeps my cravings satisfied in the mean time. My main gripe is the fact that I love looking at the makeup and perfumes i've bought but it usually takes me months or even up to a year before I start using them. Seeing them in unused, looking so pristine makes my heart flutter.

Yap I also have many compulsive collector's addictions: besides fragrances, it's watches, as well as (odd for a guy) seemingly never being able to stop from shopping clothes and shoe-wear.

AromiErotici

I'm quite sure I exhibited compulsive behavior my entire life. I still do. It's not one thing however. Whatever I endeavor for any extended period of time is balls to the wall.

If it begins to interfere and cause problems with family, bills, job, etc......then it's a problem and needs to stop. You DECIDE for it to stop if it's problematic. There's POWER IN DECISION folks.

This hobby is just one more compulsive chapter in my crazy life, but I actually have an agenda this time. I plan on having a fragrance store in 7 years....so, in essence, the end result may just justify my compulsion ( this time).

Decide for yourselves and if need be, choose strength. Everyone has it....you have to decide to use it.

Blog Entries

Long ago I heard an NPR story about addictive personalities. Some of us just have them. We're going to be adicted or obsessing over something. He made the point that you're lucky if you're married to a workaholic and not a compulsive gambler or worse. It also seems that most of us have some control over what our addiction is. Lots of, "I used to collect XXX but now it's perfumes." I think changing the addiction from time to time is a good idea, so none get out of hand. And I like AromiErotici's idea of combining fragrance addiction with a business, so it generates cash (hopefully, ultimately, more than it consumes). Does anyone know a site for discussing "creative obsession?"

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    Long ago I heard an NPR story about addictive personalities. Some of us just have them. We're going to be adicted or obsessing over something. He made the point that you're lucky if you're married to a workaholic and not a compulsive gambler or worse. It also seems that most of us have some control over what our addiction is. Lots of, "I used to collect XXX but now it's perfumes." I think changing the addiction from time to time is a good idea, so none get out of hand. And I like AromiErotici's idea of combining fragrance addiction with a business, so it generates cash (hopefully, ultimately, more than it consumes). Does anyone know a site for discussing "creative obsession?"
    I definitely have exactly what you're talking about. I've bought 12 bottles in the last 6 months, but I'm only 16, so my income is zilch. I used to be obsessed with designer jeans before cologne/perfume, so I'm pretty much screwed-- I guess I'll just be a big spender the rest of my life.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by wannabelyn View Post
    I've gone from buying expensive bags to expensive shoes + fashion accessories and then to premium jeans and clothing. Each phase usually lasts between 6 - 12 months. Since the economy downturn late last year and the rise in USD, my obsession has turned from those to makeup. It's a cheaper thrill that keeps my cravings satisfied in the mean time. My main gripe is the fact that I love looking at the makeup and perfumes i've bought but it usually takes me months or even up to a year before I start using them. Seeing them in unused, looking so pristine makes my heart flutter.
    Sounds so familiar to me. For me, it's gemstones, perfume but I did go through a very long ,prolonged cell phone stage too. I have had every single Nokia N series up to N93 ( sold each one to move on to the next model ) My obsession stopped at the N82 ( newer model than N93 but lower model no ) . One good thing ,I learnt a lot about cell phones , models, companies but it was getting ridiculously expensive ,so I gave up the game. But out of all the N series, I loved the good old brick N90 - still miss that phone. Now I just give tech advice to my husband

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Sounds so familiar to me. For me, it's gemstones, perfume but I did go through a very long ,prolonged cell phone stage too. I have had every single Nokia N series up to N93 ( sold each one to move on to the next model ) My obsession stopped at the N82 ( newer model than N93 but lower model no ) . One good thing ,I learnt a lot about cell phones , models, companies but it was getting ridiculously expensive ,so I gave up the game. But out of all the N series, I loved the good old brick N90 - still miss that phone. Now I just give tech advice to my husband
    It's a shame you stopped, n97 is a killer phone.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    It's a shame you stopped, n97 is a killer phone.
    TimothyX - I still have withdrawal symptoms - anywhere there's a collection of cellphones ,in particular Nokia, SE s- I gravitate towards them. Now you tell me about the N97 . I love the N series.. E series is also a good line but their cameras and multimedia are not up to the N series.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th September 2009 at 07:52 PM.

I think it's our obsessions and enthusiasms that keep us going... life would be terrible if we were practical 24 hours a day. It's the extra stuff, art, music, food, that makes life worth living.

Personally, I've had addictive tendencies most of my life, and perfume is one of the least harmful and most enjoyable ones so far. Although I do enjoy my obsession with Japanese pop culture an awful lot as well...

Basenotes Institution

Life would be awful without our little distractions and they are little distractions that keep us going . Being 100 % practical is just as bad as being 100 % impractical !
    Plus we can learn a lot about things when we collect- well, that's my excuse anyhow !

Smile Re: but what if cologne/perfume is only ONE of your many addictions??

So agree with ALL posts above. For a while, I thought I was weird. Then I joined MUA and basenotes and now I know there are a lot of us out there...so I feel kinda better...

With pertume, it's bad...get weird looks from family and friends...and when we're out and I try frags, they kinda make fun of me, gesturing with wrist to nose and they yell "Smell", which is what I used to do -- gesture to them to smell my wrist -- before I took it really seriously...

My brother, when I wore Fracas, would complain: "Oh GOD! You are wearing that %$#@&**!! (expletive used...leave to your imagination), Gaby, when are you just going to choose ONE perfume for goodness sake!?"

Other obsessions include skincare and makeup, but slowly realizing that frag is a definite no 1....

I will go with one pair of shoes to buy any of the above for 6 months......

Happy to be among fellow addicts...and now I feel like I am at PA: Perfum-aholics Anonymous!!!

Enjoy and don't feel bad!

Basenotes Institution

People who are not into fragrance will automatically think we are weird. I get the same reactions as Whiteflowers above. However, you're not hurting anyone and you are showing signs of intelligence by being interested in the scents around you.....
    Again that is my excuse anyway !

Dependent

People who are not into fragrance will automatically think we are weird. I get the same reactions as Whiteflowers above. However, you're not hurting anyone and you are showing signs of intelligence by being interested in the scents around you.....
    Again that is my excuse anyway !
    As they say, we are the minority!

Basenotes Institution

Matthew -we are indeed. I think many people ( OK ,well, the majority of people ! ) just want to smell 'good' and non offensive . They are not bothered about IFRA rules and regulations, perfume history, notes and how perfume develops. They just want to 'waft' abit of 'nice' smelling scent. The rest are details. People who love perfume ,love everything about it .

Alittle off topic but I guess related .....
    ***One thing that has stuck with me throughout my life was what my English Literature teacher said ( she was Oxford University educated and I took what she said like gold ) .She said the word nice means absolutely nothing - it's generic and used when people cannot be bothered to be accurate or descriptive. So nice is not really a very good word at all to me. I am still guilty of using the word nice but I am aware that when I do so , I am probably being lazy.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 25th September 2009 at 07:18 PM.

Well, one more vote, in favor of our always surprising, multi-layered and fascinating minority, since I don't just love perfumes and many other "decadent", luxurious, "addictive", classy or simply uncommon treats, I usually tend to like, respect and admire the people behind them, either their creators, or their main public or even both (and no, I'm not just saying this as an empty compliment, I usually find great and interesting personalities behind most perfume connoisseurs and/or aficionados of other "addictions"). But the again, in spite of how pleasant and comforting my words my sound, I must ironically admit that it might not be much of a help regarding the main task of this board (but then again, what exactly is help? are we even supposed to be "helped"? do we really want to?... and the list of open-ended, multiple-choice questions might go on)

I to suffer from this as well as an interest in fragrance I also buy a lot of shaving creams/razors/brushes etc AND I also collect and listen to vinyl. So not cheap anywhere.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Blog Entries

Fragrances give a lot of sensory pleasure without a single calorie. Hmmm, maybe that's why I've been buying more perfumes lately-- I've been avoiding the sweets. And the 'fumes compensate.

My wallet is leaner, true, but so am I.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Fragrances give a lot of sensory pleasure without a single calorie. Hmmm, maybe that's why I've been buying more perfumes lately-- I've been avoiding the sweets. And the 'fumes compensate.

We are on the same page ! Fat free Fragrance indulgence.
    My love for smell extends to soaps, shower gels ,all kinds of stuff ...... I can't help it - I love beautiful things. I can relate to Ken Russell's post too .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th September 2009 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Yap I also have many compulsive collector's addictions: besides fragrances, it's watches, as well as (odd for a guy) seemingly never being able to stop from shopping clothes and shoe-wear.
    I collect scent and their bottles, but also clothing...men's clothing and furnishings...esp. the odd fancy waistcoat.

BTW, the Comte d'Orsay was quite fond of clothing AND perfume...to the point of becoming overwhelmed with debt (like any good dandy) to tailors and, in one case, a bootmaker. He was said to have perfumed the fob (fabric or leather?) of his watchguard chain and his visiting cards, not to mention his gloves. :bounce:

I think it a nice idea to spritz some scent on one's business cards...I *have* been known to do this!

I think a compulsion becomes hazardous when it interrupts other aspects of your life. So far my life is safe from this, although shelf space for perfume is getting smaller...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I agree...I find that when I'm testing fragrances or shopping for them...I forget to eat...I actually forget to eat. It is an appetite suppressant for me.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Institution

Gee whiz- I can never forget to eat ! I wish I could ! But sweet fragrances do help curb my sweet tooth .

AromiErotici

I'm Italian and can safely say NOTHING IN LIFE stops me from eating.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    *LOL* Well, I am not italian Aromi but eating is my forte ! ( Except lately , I met my Waterloo- the dentist who extracted my tooth - since then I have lost 5 pounds ,shoot ! )

My most troubling addiction is to the internet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I'm first generation Italian, 100%, so maybe that's my problem! Blame it on the genes....

I was obsessed with a computer game once, it wrecked a part of my life. But it really was a symptom that stems from what was lacking in my life then - purpose. I've since moved on to hi fi and home theatre, diamonds and now perfumes. Not obsessively though I think I'm moving up the ranks of TPC's favorite customers. Why can't we 'obsess' over something that generates rather than depletes income?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 18th October 2009 at 07:28 PM.

AromiErotici

*LOL* Well, I am not italian Aromi but eating is my forte ! ( Except lately , I met my Waterloo- the dentist who extracted my tooth - since then I have lost 5 pounds ,shoot ! )
    Is that not the worst or what !!!???? I hope you are feeling better now mysticknot.
    I'm first generation Italian, 100%, so maybe that's my problem! Blame it on the genes....
    It's a genetic curse put on us by our Roman ancestors. Whether happy or sad,defeated or victorious, celebrating life or mourning death......they ate...and ate....then ate some more....

Who else would invent a vomitorium so they could gorge even more?

Basenotes Institution

Aromi sweetie - I am feeling much better thanks ! How lost I was without food !
    Lilybelle - the internet is probably the other thing I am addicted to apart from food, perfume etc....
    Here I am - thousands of miles from home with a really crap connection ( and I mean with a capital C ) but still I manage to give in to my perfume and computer addiction !
    I am already planning my sampling program for when I get home ....

Well those are some damn nice phones... I had an N92 EU model and always wanted an N93i but never went for it. After owning only Nokias for 11 years I finally cut the cord and *gulp* bought an HTC G1. You know what? I friggin' love it, even if it's not as smoothly done as the Nokia. I am very curious about the N96, tho.

I've always been a collector of sorts, but for whatever reason I seem to really only focus on one at a time. I collected art from a particular artist until I had everything I wanted, then I moved on to something else when it caught my fancy. Of course I still love the artist and enjoy it on my walls, and I doubt I'll ever just 'move on' from fragrance because, unlike this artist, there is NEVER an end to different fragrances to explore and learn about. Once you delve into vintage it's like going to a bottomless pit of things to discover and seek out. Any of my other 'collectibles' (shaving creams, soaps, etc.) are all wrapped up in the larger fragrance/cosmetics interest and not distinct interests as far as I'm concerned.

For the collector's mind, fragrance is an excellent outlet because of the myriad options for focusing your collection. Even just Guerlain alone could keep one busy their entire life with the hundreds of years of different releases, with many of them coming in different concentrations, different bottles, and different formulas. It wasn't enough to just get, say, Parure... I need both versions of the EdT in each different style bottle it was made in and multiple bottle styles, and sizes, of parfum. Then repeat for the next Guerlain fragrance, then keep going for eternity.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by heynow View Post
    Well those are some damn nice phones... I had an N92 EU model and always wanted an N93i but never went for it. After owning only Nokias for 11 years I finally cut the cord and *gulp* bought an HTC G1. You know what? I friggin' love it, even if it's not as smoothly done as the Nokia. I am very curious about the N96, tho.

I've always been a collector of sorts, but for whatever reason I seem to really only focus on one at a time. I collected art from a particular artist until I had everything I wanted, then I moved on to something else when it caught my fancy. Of course I still love the artist and enjoy it on my walls, and I doubt I'll ever just 'move on' from fragrance because, unlike this artist, there is NEVER an end to different fragrances to explore and learn about. Once you delve into vintage it's like going to a bottomless pit of things to discover and seek out. Any of my other 'collectibles' (shaving creams, soaps, etc.) are all wrapped up in the larger fragrance/cosmetics interest and not distinct interests as far as I'm concerned.

For the collector's mind, fragrance is an excellent outlet because of the myriad options for focusing your collection. Even just Guerlain alone could keep one busy their entire life with the hundreds of years of different releases, with many of them coming in different concentrations, different bottles, and different formulas. It wasn't enough to just get, say, Parure... I need both versions of the EdT in each different style bottle it was made in and multiple bottle styles, and sizes, of parfum. Then repeat for the next Guerlain fragrance, then keep going for eternity.
    HTC make really good phones Heynow ! True they are not as polished as the N series . I even love Nokia N71 too - I love that phone even though it's an old model now - there's something about the N series- they have a little personality - each one of them andI love the N series website ( even the Nokia N series song by Moby - In My Heart . ) I fear I have turned my husband into a cell phone geek now having introduced him to the joys of Nokia smartphones as opposed to Blackberry and certain great cell phone sites.

Guerlain is an excellent house for collecting !

I'm not quite addicted to fragrances yes, but I certainly obsess over buying clothes, watching and re-watching films, and acquiring lots of different teas.
    He is Ennui! — His eye filled with an unwished-for tear,
    He dreams of scaffolds while puffing at his hookah.
    You know him, reader, this exquisite monster,
    — Hypocrite reader, — my likeness, — my brother!

Here's how I've been handling it:

Bath and Body Acquisition Disorder - I went on a "use it up" binge that lasted two years. Now I am only allowing myself bar soaps. I love them, they are inexpensive, and I have to use something every day to stay clean. I have one lotion with a neutral scent... from Italy, of course.

Costume Jewelry Acquisition Disorder - I only bought designer sterling, sterling with gold overlay or vintage pieces for cheap on Ebay that have gone up in value. I never wear the stuff, but could get my money back or more if I had to.

Bead Acquisition Disorder - Keeping those in case I want to make some gifts or something.

Art Acquisition Disorder - I've been going through the attic and donating things to a good cause. None of it was very valuable, lots of prints. I kept the signed ones.

Fabric Acquisition Disorder - I donated all the quilting fabric or plain colored I bought on sale and kept the drapery fabric which I am probably still going to make something out of. My sister got the Italian tapestry fabric which she used for various projects.

Perfume Acquisition Disorder - I tire easily of the same scents which is what led to this, so it's no problem selling almost unused bottles on Ebay which I've been doing while they are still fresh. Can't understand how anyone could go through life with just one, although I used to do that, too. lol

Bare Escentuals Mineral Makeup Acquisition Disorder - For the past three years, I have only been buying the foundation when I run out. This stuff lasts forever and I could buy and buy and buy, so many beautiful colors.

Guitar Acquisition Disorder - Just got started on this one before the economic crash, on hold until further notice. DH plays.

We hit a rough patch financially this year and I can't just purchase things that are non-essentials but we still have to eat, so I am transferring my obsession into cooking which I've always loved and am pretty good at. I'm just in the process of setting up a blog now. Teas are something else I enjoy and they are healthy, too.

I'm using the word "disorder" sarcastically since it's the little touches that can really spice up life and collectors all have this to some extent. I'm not a hoarder, I like to use what I buy somehow or pass it on either to a good cause, friends, family or give someone else the thrill of a great deal. A few things I keep are sentimental, mostly dishes or art glass. Something that always catches my eye but I have yet to buy are Hummel figurines, they are so sweet and bring back happy memories of childhood. I knew lots of families in my area who had them at the time. Maybe someday... they don't take up much space.

I suggest you use up all the products like shaving cream before buying more... there's nothing wrong with having a few scents to switch off to, depending on the season and occasion.
    Last edited by beachroses; 1st December 2009 at 06:58 PM.

Matthew -we are indeed. I think many people ( OK ,well, the majority of people ! ) just want to smell 'good' and non offensive . They are not bothered about IFRA rules and regulations, perfume history, notes and how perfume develops. They just want to 'waft' abit of 'nice' smelling scent. The rest are details. People who love perfume ,love everything about it .

Alittle off topic but I guess related .....
    ***One thing that has stuck with me throughout my life was what my English Literature teacher said ( she was Oxford University educated and I took what she said like gold ) .She said the word nice means absolutely nothing - it's generic and used when people cannot be bothered to be accurate or descriptive. So nice is not really a very good word at all to me. I am still guilty of using the word nice but I am aware that when I do so , I am probably being lazy.
    Your teacher was right.
    Let's just that hope no one ever called her cute.
    As for frags, I've given up trying to justify this expensive
    (but non-fattening) hobby.
    To all unsympathetic acquaintances who ask:
    " Why do you spend so much money on this? "
    I simply reply:
    Because I'm insane; but have far better taste than you ever will.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 1st February 2010 at 04:59 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Your teacher was right.
    Let's just that hope no one ever called her cute.
    As for frags, I've given up trying to justify this expensive
    (but non-fattening) hobby.
    To all unsympathetic acquaintances who ask:
    " Why do you spend so much money on this? "
    I simply reply:
    Because I'm insane; but have far better taste than you ever will.

Cheers,

Mario
    My english teacher was like Maggie Thatcher in appearance and tone- I doubt anyone ever dared call her cute ! *LOL*

I just want to say .....
    "My name is Mystic Knot and I am a fragrance addict, a bar soap addict, an exercise addict, a food addict and a Basenotes addict.Thank you. "
    I feel much better now I have that off my chest.

Everyone on the planet has one obsession or another (I even had Ck Obsession for awhile, but it gave my wife headaches) But seriously, I think its the financial aspect that worries people most.
    Here are some ways I've managed to keep it from getting out of hand: I keep a limited wardrobe and don't let myself buy something until something else runs out. I don't spend money online (that includes having an enhanced BN membership)
    I still spend many lunch hours in stores sniffing, and you can take the sprayed cards with you for free.

P.S. I don't have a cell phone.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Mysticknot, grandma's cigar box containing bits of string, ribbon and yarn labeled on the outside "Pieces too short to save" runs a parallel obsession in one sense of the word.
    Last edited by kbe; 4th February 2010 at 11:01 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Mysticknot, grandma's cigar box containing bits of string, ribbon and yarn labeled on the outside "Pieces too short to save" runs a parallel obsession in one sense of the word.

kbe - quite true !

In six months I built a perfume collection of 14 bottles. I then sat down and calculated how many mL I had, how many mL I use with each spray, etc, and realized I have 6.35 years worth of perfume.

The average perfume has a shelf life of 3-5 years, and that now has me worried that my scents will go bad before I use them up (and I didn't buy cheap scents)
    This put a stopper on things real quick, oi

I too have an addictive personality and have been this way as far back as I can remember. Over the years I have collected all kinds of old stuff (much to my mother's dismay) and collections too numerous to mention here. When I finally learned to accept that I was always going to be a shopaholic/packrat, I chose to make my living from it and became an antiques dealer. That way I could have a creative outlet for shopping, decorating and combine it with my other two faves scented SOAPS and CANDLES! It is a sort of therapy I guess and keeps my tiny house from getting too cluttered. I am my own oxymoron: I LOVE junk and HATE clutter, go figure?

There i go :
    Compulsive buying beauty products - im still suffering of this dissorder .
    Compulsive buying hosiery ( pantyhose , stokings etc ) -im 99 % healed of that and left with so many pairs of nylons that i wont need to buy any for many years ( im still buying thou now and then ).
    Compulsive buying shoes - 99% healed of that too , sadly looking to my never worn pair of shoes lol .
    Compulsive buying lingerie -99% healed of that , buying new stuff only when they are looking outrageous beautiful .
    And of course my new and obsessive addiction on buying perfumes ON BLIND , unsniffed . If i know how they smell ,im not interested anymore ,even if they are the most famous brands or the most beautiful scents ever made .
    Im having a part time job ( working from home ) just to can keep it up with my addictions and dont touch the family budget .God Bless my husband for dealing with me lol
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die, too (TW)

I can relate totally to 'love junk, hate clutter' ! My husband and I are both packrats and after nearly 40 years together our 'collections' have overtaken our living space. This distresses (and depresses) me, though I am not willing (yet) to part with my blue and white china collection, lingerie, perfumes, old lace, paperweights, ad infinitum .....added to his electonic graveyard, drum gear and cymbals, etc etc. Then there are (were, thankfully) the addictions to alcohol and tobacco - overcome at great cost but overcome, I am thinking of having a giveaway yard sale to get rid of some not-so-meaningful JUNK!

reine

Maia4u, we have the same addictions! Thankfully I tend to cycle through obsessions and taking breaks from each one instead of wanting everything at once, but I still took on multiple jobs to fund my frivolous buys. I love food and exercise too, but I don't see those as addictions since I don't spend much on those.

So far my perfume obsession is still pretty rational. The lovely reviews here help weed out bad blind buys more than someone modelling a pair of shoes.
    Last edited by Cors; 9th March 2010 at 01:55 PM.

reine, you're a girl after my own heart!!!

In the past I have also collected blue and white china, lingerie, struggled with addictions plus tons more! I had to do some major purging and it took a lot of time. I used the old standby rules: In order to keep an item I had to find it useful, as in I actually use it at least once a year, or if it was a collectible, it had to utterly beautiful and of the highest quality...otherwise it went in the yard sale or FREE pile or to my shop.

Truly, less is more. I absolutely adore and appreciate the few wonderful things that I kept. My home is peaceful and serene. It is easier to keep clean and I sleep a lot better at night. It took me over twenty years to get here though!

Trust me, you will feel much better when you let go of some of the clutter.

thank you Bloomy for the supportive note - I SO need a personal house-cleaning trainer! But the good perfumes and the blue-and-white stay!

reine

Blog Entries

Having had to clean out my FIL's house after his death 3 years ago, and my parents' home last week (ongoing-- to be continued in April), I have decided I don't want to leave that sort of clean-up to my daughter when I die or have to be moved to senior housing.

I am starting to downsize-- I also have a china collection but I am going to be choosing my favorites and selling off the rest. Same goes for books (gulp!) and other items that are purely functional, but excess.