Code of Conduct

Question Has a discontinued scent ever been brought back?

I see it all the time: Basenoters lamenting the discontinuation of a beloved fragrance and calling for its triumphant return to the fragrance counter.

"What were they thinking!" "They should bring it back for their own good!" "That was/is murder!"

And I often agree. There are many scents I will probably never get to try because they're just too rare these days.

But is all of our outrage in vain?

Has a discontinued fragrance ever actually be reinstated due to popular demand? (Or any other reason.) Obviously, discontinued scents were not big sellers....but just from the standpoint of credibility, history, and outright PR, it seems like some fragrances just shouldn't die.

Thoughts?

PS - Thanks to the Community Center board for helping me outsmart the bug that was preventing me from posting this thread!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 27th August 2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Bug
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Has a discontinued scent ever been brought back?

Well, one re-issue I know about is 1981's Calvin, which was resurrected around the turn of the last century for a limited time.

Off-Scenter

It does happen. Givenchy has reissued its Vetyver and Insensé. I'm not absolutely certain whether Le De and Givenchy III were actually discontinued before the current versions appeared, but I believe it was the case. Aramis is reissuing Havana, which if not strictly discontinued, had become so limited in distribution as to be effectively off the market. Guerlain meanwhile has reissued Derby and, under a new name (L'Ame d'un Héros), Coriolan.

Dependent

I think there was a recent mention that Dunhill Edition may be reissued?

Does this include the "reanimation" of dead fragrance houses like Parfums D'Orsay?

There are the 1990s remakes of Etiquette Bleue (a faux story of its creation in 1865 from a supposed 1830 formula), Chevalier, Arome Trois and Le Dandy.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th August 2009 at 03:21 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I think there was a recent mention that Dunhill Edition may be reissued?
    Dunhill Edition's a great scent but was it ever discontinued? I hope it's not because all I have is about 20ml left
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Was Blue Stratos revived, or was it rescued from imminent discontinuation, when Tim Foley bought it from Shulton/P&G?
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Guerlain meanwhile has reissued Derby
    Really? Where is it available?

Another question...Does anyone know why this reissues occured? Was it angry fragrance consumers' demands? If so, maybe we should start bugging a few companies relentlessly.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Dunhill Edition's a great scent but was it ever discontinued? I hope it's not because all I have is about 20ml left
    I am not entirely sure bro, but this thread seems to imply that it has ceased production for repackaging/redesiging, as told by Dunhill staff? May temporary discontinuation is a better term. I too am hoping to get a bottle since my little sample vial has but a drop or 2 left

I think the discontinuation that caused the biggest reaction was Piguet's Fracas. When it was discontinued it caused, well, such a bit "fracas" they brought it back in 1996.

Donna Karan brought back Chaos and Fuel. Nicole Miller for men. Giorgio Beverly Hills cologne and Red for men.
    Also Rochas brought back Macassar for a limited time.
    Last edited by AZsmells; 27th August 2009 at 03:58 PM.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Thierry Mugler's B*Men is supposed to be discontinued, and I don't know if it's been re-issued, but I easily found and bought a bottle of it today. Good stuff!

Just a thought:

I read in a book once that fragrances are discontinued for more reasons than just poor sales. Whenever the ingredients of a fragrance become too scarce or expensive, as to greatly impact the cost of production, often times companies will discontinue the release of the fragrance rather than adulterating the original composition with less expensive, lower quality ingredients. I would definitely be interested to know which discontinuations were a result of poor sales and which were a result of changes in the cost of production.
    Last edited by OlfactoryExperience; 27th August 2009 at 05:53 PM.

HELL YES!

Penhaligon's LP No:9 made a comeback after being discontinued! Can I gedda hallelujah!?

Georgio for Men is back

The Aramis collection that's supposed to return next month...

Czech & Speake returned a whole bunch, of which, Dark Rose was the one most sorely missed by Basenoters, it seemed. Penhaglions is about return four of their discontinued fragrances just this year.

I would LOVE for revival of discontinued frags to be a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    ...often times companies will discontinue the release of the fragrance rather than adulterating the original composition with less expensive, lower quality ingredients. I would definitely be interested to know which discontinuations were a result of poor sales and which were a result of changes in the cost of production.
    Wow, that's interesting. I suppose that would depend on ownership of the company. Some houses are obviously less concerned with megasales than others. If a company is discontinuing out of survival (and due to forces beyond its control) I'd be sympathetic.

But this brings up another issue...how many of the respected houses with discontinued classics (Aramis, Guerlain, Dunhill, even Gucci) are owned by heartless conglomerates that would discontinue in a heartbeat, vs still being owned by people who'd fight to keep the classics around as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Jon, I don't know if it's been discontinued but at a local mall shop that had a bunch of them and the 1934 Dunhill for around US$45. I was assured in a thread I posted that they are available various places online.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I heard that Body Kouros was discontinued, but you can still buy it in some stores..

I guess you could include Patou pour Homme and Prive as a re-issue. Also recall Montana Perfume pour Homme (red box) having been rather recently re-issued.

matt and mtgprox05,

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping for no reformulations. It will be a waste if a great frag like Edition is discontinued or tampered with.

I just remembered my dad has about 50ml left in his bottle.But the bottle is at least 15 years old.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Caron brought back the Champagne thing. I remember an article on BN about it.

So...Havana's really coming back?
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by Echo777 View Post
    Caron brought back the Champagne thing. I remember an article on BN about it.

So...Havana's really coming back?
    Yep. Would be very surprising if it were not reformulated though, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    The Aramis collection that's supposed to return next month...
    It's already online at neimanmarcus.com
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I was at the Dunhill store in NYC on Wednesday afternoon. They had "Dunhill For Men" and "Dunhill Edition" Their display was full, about twenty bottles each. I bought a bottle of DFM and will order the Edition over the phone in September. The SA said they get a few hundred bottles every few months and only sell it there in Manhattan.
    Last edited by DarwinHoel; 29th August 2009 at 12:07 AM.

Well, I cannot answer the main question of this thread, but I would suggest that they bring back, among others, Spazio Krizia.

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    I guess you could include Patou pour Homme and Prive as a re-issue. Also recall Montana Perfume pour Homme (red box) having been rather recently re-issued.
    I hope this is true? Patou PH brought back?

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    It does happen. Givenchy has reissued its Vetyver and Insensé. I'm not absolutely certain whether Le De and Givenchy III were actually discontinued before the current versions appeared, but I believe it was the case. Aramis is reissuing Havana, which if not strictly discontinued, had become so limited in distribution as to be effectively off the market. Guerlain meanwhile has reissued Derby and, under a new name (L'Ame d'un Héros), Coriolan.
    Hi

Do you have any idea where could I find Givenchy Insense. It is one of my absolute favourites.. , I was looking for it for a while, then I gave up and now... good news , you're saying it came back.
    But still I cannot find it...

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by ampersand View Post
    Hi

Do you have any idea where could I find Givenchy Insense. It is one of my absolute favourites.. , I was looking for it for a while, then I gave up and now... good news , you're saying it came back.
    But still I cannot find it...

Thanks a lot
    I've seen it on eBay if I'm not mistaken...

Guerlain has a series of reissues of vintage fragrances that have become permanent in the line (albeit in limited distribution) - right now there's Sous le Vent and Vega in this line. They also do limited edition reissues of vintage parfums, such as Djedi and Candide Effluve.

The LUBIN story is quite interesting - I saw an article / interview somewhere about this line. I think we are talking about one individual reviving a house, more than re-issuing any one fragrance - and bringing in perfumers to take formulas and rework them them, but the intent of the owner seemed solid. L'Eau Neuve and the Vetiver have seen favourable reviews in different places that I recall. I'm not sure if Idole was 'brought back' or a new composition . . .

Well Dimitri beat me to the Lp9...again. Hallelujah indeed! Of course I hoarded so much of it during the discontinuation that I've only bought 1 bottle since it was brought back...a candle would be nice. They should bring back the candle version of Lp9.

Penhaligon's actually has a line of discontinueds called, "Anthology" out now in the UK. 1 more week for the US release.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

RED for men smells so good!!