Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default need opinion on choosing 2 frags to purchase out of my list

I'll be heading back to LA to visit my family and while there I wanted to take the chance to pick up about 2 to 3 frags that are not sold in Taiwan.

Hanae Mori HM EdP
    John Varvatos
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Body Kouros
    Rive Gauche
    Eau Sauvage
    Ja´pur Homme EdP
    Tiffany for Men
    Habit Rouge
    Heritage EdT or EdP?
    Egoiste
    L'Instant de Guerlain

I have tried HM, John Varvatos, and Egoiste. The rest are awaiting to be tested. Though I'm having a hard time locating all the Guerlains. The only one I was able to find is Veviter at Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, and Saks.. I'll be lucky if I get the time to sniff all of them out.

Any recommendations of the list above based on my wardrobe of what I own and previously owned?

Thank you and also feel free to suggest what I may like aswell that are not in the list.

Edit: I forgot to add that I just turned 28
    Last edited by VelvetDon25; 4th September 2009 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: need opinion on choosing 2 frags to purchase out of my list

Can't go wring with any of those. If you must blind buy, I recommend either Body Kouros or
    Rive Gauche because they're so cheap in price yet so rich in scent!

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely Tiffany for Men, Heritage, and Eau Sauvage if I were you

Post Thanks / Like

Please make sure you sample before you purchase. What matters is your fragrance preferences and not necessarily those of us providing you with recommendations. However, I will anyway.

Based on my preferences from your list, no doubt:

Jaipur Pour Homme EDP

Tiffany for Men

I own and love both and think both are fantastic fragrances.

Good luck!

TJ

Go with Heritage and Egoiste.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Tiffany for Men
    Egoiste
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

That list is really solid....Every scent is worth picking up except for H.M. in my opinion...

Post Thanks / Like

Go to The Scent Bar on Beverly.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with Jaipur and Heritage. But there are other good one's on your list.

Hanai Mori EDP is quite good if you don't already own a sweet gourmand, but not as good as the others on your list.

I do, however, like adonis' suggestion about going to The Scent Bar though

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Post Thanks / Like

All are great scents and worthy of anyone's wardrobe as long as they compliment one's body chemistry. List some of your preferences or describe a niche within your closet that you might like to fill, so we may better advise you in your selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are nearly all scents in the "classic" style (read: non-aquatic), so I hope that is your preferred taste.

I would go with Tiffany for Men and Azzaro, but that's just me. They're all good.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

From that list I'd choose Azzaro Pour Homme and Egoiste.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Jaipur.

Wow, Tiffany for Men. So many recs., but to me, it's too light and doesn't last very long.
    P.S. Sorry, almost forget. I don't own any of those, except for Tiffany For Men (have 10 mini bottles, bought blind). So, I can't really recommend anything. But sniff test them before buying. I was so sure about Tiffany for Men, but turned out to be a disappointment for me. So, you just never know unless you try.
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 27th August 2009 at 08:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Opium homme edp
    Rive Gauche edt or Rive Gauche Intense
    Hanae Mori edp
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    Opium homme edp
    Rive Gauche edt or Rive Gauche Intense
    Hanae Mori edp
    Opium Homme is the best! -But it`s not on the list..

Tiffany is an excellent frag but I think I have come to prefer similar "women's" frags. H.M. is great, but probably due to my skin chemistry, the EdP is too strong, so I'll probably put that one up for swap soon. If the EdT is too weak, then go for the EdP, but if not, make sure you can handle the EdP.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on preferences and knowledge:

Don't know it / did not try the following: Hanae Mori HM EdP, John Varvatos, Heritage

Azzaro Pour Homme - it has been reformulated, it is almost an eau de cologne with great sillage albeit minimal longevity. There is an intense version sold by Sephora in France which I can't comment for I haven't got the chance of trying it. Check out if it is available in LA.

Rive Gauche -- A mega super strong barbershop scent. If you are of the ones liking Dana`s Canoe, Avon's Wild Country, Pinaud's Clubman and the rest, but find them weak, this is the right way to go.

Eau Sauvage - The king of classics: an eau de cologne masterfully turned into an eau de toilette. Be aware that as such, it has good initial sillage, but it does not project in a lasting way compared to contemporary fragrances. This actually means that if you compare it with Dior Homme, you will find they have two completely different structures due to the availability of new aromachemicals, leading to newer fragrance styles among which fixatives play a very important role.

Ja´pur Homme - Woody, spicy, sweet and powdery, very powdery. Not one of my favorites, still, but enjoyable once in a while.

Tiffany for Men - A rnodern classic, not in terms of its historical impact, just in terms of how if feels like. It is ver very similar to Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. Woods and spices wiothout the sweetnes you will find in Jaipur.

Habit Rouge - Woody, spicy, powdery to an extent Jaipur's powderiness is feeble, so, it is powdery to the maximum, For some, "dated"; for me, non-fundamentalist conservatism or, if you wish, tradition in the right sense of the word: not for metrosexuals or euro trash followers.

Egoiste - Spices with an excellent sandalwood dry-down. Contemporary yet far from the bergamot / green craze ravishing the 1990's. Get many complements from it.

Of all, my favorites are - in order:

1. Habit Rouge
    2. Eau Sauvage
    3. Eg÷iste
    4,.Tiffany for Men

I will probably be the lone vote for John Varvatos, but I absolutely love the scent (even though I dont have a bottle yet ).

Besides that, either Tiffany for men or Eau Sauvage.

If you want Tiffany For Men, let me know. I still have 8 very nice mini collectible bottles (gave 1 away and used a little on the other). They are .25oz each just like this one on Ebay. You can have them for 10 each.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffany-25-oz-Co...3286.m20.l1116

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Definitely Tiffany for Men, Heritage, and Eau Sauvage if I were you
    I'm with mathewfoo. Nice list, though. Hard to go wrong.

I will probably be the lone vote for John Varvatos
    I'll second that! I really like John Varvatos, it's masculine without giving off the grandpa vibe. Some of the fragrances on your list give off that old man type smell, even though they are from such high end names. Tiffany in particular comes to mind in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for the responses. I guess what I'm missing is something I can use to a formal event, taking a date to a classy restaurant, all dressed up in a black suit, etc. but can also be used regularly and says "Gentlemen"

I kind of reserve M7 for that purpose but I get more of a "Sexy" vibe from it. I'm thinking Egoiste and Heritage but I've been reading they are a little bit similar? What about L'Instant de Guerlain? I forgot to add that to my list.

I've tracked down both Heritage and L'Instant de Guerlain at Bloomingdales in Southcoast Plaza but it seems like they only carry the EdT for Heritage... and fragrancenet only carries the EdP of Heritage. So I'm only able to test sniff the EdT version.

Yes I'm not a fan of fresh aquatic scents...I've had my bottle of AdG since 1997 and its almost empty and I'm not looking to replace that anytime soon and just an FYI the two most over used frags in Taiwan currently is 212 Men and L'Eau D'Issey.

Thanks for the suggesting the Scent Bar. I've been meaning to try out some Montale frags over there... though my budget to purchase them currently is disputable lol... but definitely will pick up some samples.

Thanks for the offer LuckyLuke but I'm yet to sample Tiffany for Men yet but if I were to purchase it I would most likely pick up the 3.4oz/100ml bottle as I'm taking it back with me to Taipei.

I'm going to go ahead and take off Hanae Mori HM off of the list as I find the dry down is a bit similar to Dior Homme which I have and I already have Rochas Man as a gourmand. Anyone from SoCal know where to test sniff Body Kouros and Rive Gauche? I'm hoping the YSL boutique in South Coast Plaza has them.

My flight is set to leave on September 1st. Can't wait to go test sniff them all out!
    Last edited by VelvetDon25; 28th August 2009 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Opium Homme is the best! -But it`s not on the list..
    The reason why Opium Homme isn't on the list is because I can buy it at the YSL boutique in Taipei.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetDon25 View Post
    Thank you all so much for the responses. I guess what I'm missing is something I can use to a formal event, taking a date to a classy restaurant, all dressed up in a black suit, etc. but can also be used regularly and says "Gentlemen"
    Tiffany for Men says Gentleman in a major way! Please sample it and then purchase the 100 ml bottle if you like it as much as I think you will.

Also, if you are seeking to acquire a classic warmer weather polo shirt fragrance check out Tiffany for Men Sport if there is a Tiffany boutique in your area as I hope there is. Jacques Polge who created many of the Chanel fragrances also created both Tiffany fragrances. I will paste the notes of Tiffany for Men Sport below for your consideration.

Tiffany for MenÖ Sport Cologne is a clean, fresh scent with the woody essence of Juniper Berry, Geranium, Jamaican Pepper and herbal Coriander

I really love this fragrance and Chanel Allure Edition Blanche in warmer weather.

Good Luck!

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 28th August 2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Addition!

Post Thanks / Like

thank you TJ. I'll be sure to sample the Sports version aswell when I'm at the Tiffany boutique. Can't wait to test all of them out

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd say Habit Rouge, Body Kouros, RIve Gauche.
    Sorted by preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Body Kouros
    Rive Gauche
    Azzaro PH

I agree with others that this is a good list overall and you probably won't go wrong selecting any of them, although I appreciate some of them more than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: need opinion on choosing 2 frags to purchase out of my list

Jaipur EDP and Heritage EDP.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to go ahead and take off Hanae Mori HM off of the list as I find the dry down is a bit similar to Dior Homme which I have and I already have Rochas Man as a gourmand. Anyone from SoCal know where to test sniff Body Kouros and Rive Gauche? I'm hoping the YSL boutique in South Coast Plaza has them.

My flight is set to leave on September 1st. Can't wait to go test sniff them all out!
    If you're satisfied with Rochas Man as a gourmand, you should be relatively safe to scratch Body Korous off your list. If you go to a YSL boutique and they have Rive Gauche, I'd be willing to bet you'll be overpaying. There's a Perfumania somewhere nearby, they usually have cheap bottles. Hell, they've been spotted at Wal-Marts.

Hanae Mori HM EdP and Body Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

Just arrived at LA. Going to go shopping in a bit

Post Thanks / Like

Just arrived at LA. Going to go shopping in a bit
    Have fun! You're list was great - enjoy LA.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys. Just got back from the mall and tried Azzaro PH, Jaipur EdT, Guerlain Vetiver, and Eau Sauvage. Its been about 5 hours since I came back and results are...

Azzaro PH: Very nice. Smells very masculine... but as Pollux has said its been reformulated. Lasted about 4.5 hours on me and then was close to skin. Smells wonderful on my skin.

Jaipur EdT: Quite nice. Really like the warm and vanilla feel to it. Longevity is nice as its still going nicely. The sweet dry down reminds me of Dior Homme and Rochas Man. I will need to try the EdP.

Eau Sauvage: Wow! Love the first blast of lemon and the dry down smells classy and not like grandpa as some have mentioned. Its really a damn shame that it only lasted 3 hours on me though...

Guerlain Vetiver: Was not originally on the list to try as I tried it half a year ago and didn't like it but really didn't give it a spray on my skin. Well.... I may have to pick up a bottle of this for spring and summer. Longevity and sillage is amazing! The dry down works wonderfully with my skin.

I'm sad to say that I won't be purchasing Eau Sauvage... only due to the poor longevity. Otherwise it is a divine frag.

Tomorrow I will be testing out the rest of my frag list. Will keep you guys updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Rive Gauche and Body Kouros

If you really like citrus consider Eau Savage

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick update: I picked up Azzaro PH 6.8 oz and Guerlain Vetiver 4.2oz today. I'll be going to South Coast Plaza to try out Heritage, Habit Rogue, Rive Gauche, and Tiffany for Men.

Post Thanks / Like

Jaipur and Rive Gauche

Close calls: Azzaro PH, L'Instant de Guerlain and Eau Sauvage.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 4th September 2009 at 07:41 PM.