Code of Conduct

Default Welcome to the Kouros club - No More Taking the Piss

I need to confess my sins, and I need to do it now. What sins were those, you ask? Blasphemy against Kouros, the mighty Kouros. Yes, I've said many a bad word against it, going so far as to say it was reserved solely for junior-high boys to play practical jokes on one another in the locker room. That used to be me.

So what happened on my road-to-Damascus-conversion, the biblical scholar in you asks? Well, I think it appealed to my morbid fascination with the bizarre and the idea that "bad" smells can be very appealing. Another thing that bothered me was it was the only YSL men's frag that I didn't like or have. Every time I'd hit Ulta, I'd spray some on a test card, and it was just pure piss. One day I was in a fanciful mood and decided on a whim to spray some on my arm. An amazin blast of herbal-spicy-musk soon enveloped my nose, and I couldn't stop sniffing my arm like I was a coke fiend. It was night and day between the card and my skin. I was focusing so much on the musk/piss notes that the herbs and spices flew right by my nose. And the piss note? Barely there on my skin. Next thing you know, I'm at Loehmanns, and they have a Kouros box set for 50% off, I think, 'My window of opportunity has finally opened.' Wearing it now, it seems silly that I lambasted it for so long as it is quite good. Perhaps my nose has matured as well and garnered an appreciation for intensely musk-driven frags as I was recently converted on Dali PH too.

So I'm officially in the Kouros fan club, and I hope my public confession will appease the Kouros gods to keep me in good standing. When was your last confession?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Welcome to the Kouros club - No More Taking the Piss

your sin is unpardonable...Now, Kneel down before that mighty block of marble artifact holding the Elixir meant for gods and plead for forgiveness

AromiErotici

It's not nice to piss into the wind......or to dismiss the piss.

Post Re: Welcome to the Kouros club - No More Taking the Piss

For your penance my son you have to wear 10 sprays, and I mean when you are out in the public arena, and all will be forgiven.

Father Ron.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    For your penance my son you have to wear 10 sprays, and I mean when you are out in the public arena, and all will be forgiven.

Father Ron.
    Ron.....that's tantamount to taping a $10 bill on his back and kicking him out of the car in my old neighborhood.

Hm. Maybe I'll take your part as sinner. I've felt some growing dislike of Kouros recently...

Oh hell, welcome to the dark side

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

ManicBoy, I so understand you. The same hapened to me; if it were not for the fact it was being suggested by a SA that insisted me on trying it I would not even bother paying attention to it. The ridiculous price at which it was sold made the rest.

It needs time to be appreciated, the drydown is a world appart from the top notes. That made me a convert.

When I think about my opinions about it before trying it I just remember that ene should never say never.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Kouros is a god. Not THE God, but a god nevertheless
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Welcome my poor little lost lamb ! Welcome to the fold ! ...

I see a whole new world is opening up to you ! (Well done on Dali too ! You are well on the road now ......)

Yep, a little skin and sweat makes Kouros even better !

It's so amusing to hear about how polarizing Kouros is in the world of the men who wear/hate it. Who knew? I love it so much and recall buying it for 2 boyfriends in the 80s.

Manicboy & Co, you smell delicious.

Not only is Kouros polarizing, but it's funny how even some people who don't like it seem, for some reason, to WANT to like it, as if you have to like it to be considered a real perfume aficionado. I've loved Kouros since the day I first smelled it, and I've been wearing it for about 15 years, but I can certainly understand why a lot of people don't like it.

Don't worry, guys, it's OK not to like Kouros! But for any new converts, welcome aboard!

Kouros is not a pleasant fragrance at all. But it draws me and from time to time to wear it. It's addictive.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Booooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kouros sucks!!!!!

gawd, someone gimmeh

I want a sample so bad, I love anything described as intolerably animalic or pissy or spicy or varanasi spice markets and summerballs.

Someone who hates this shit outta this aught to send me a sample!!!!

After reading all that is said about it I so want to try it (even if I'm a girl)
    I'm so intrigued by this frag and about this love/hate passion towards it...

I wish I could have this much passion. BTW Kouros is a masterpiece as they say.

Dependent

Kouros IS something else. Another fan here

Welcome to the fold manicboy , an honest appraisal !
    All we need now is a Kouros Pour Femme

I can totally relate to your "road to Damascus" -style conversion. I used to consider it a "2 star" fragrance at best, now I recognize it as the genius scent it is. I own a bottle now and am basically obsessed with the stuff. I just wear it around the house if I'm not going out, I haven't worn it out in public yet (waiting for the weather to cool down a little). I also love the Kouros Tattoo Edition, which is a very interesting take on the original Kouros. Haven't tried the Kouros Faicheur yet, is it any good? Seems to be well regarded in the reviews.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    God is good. Kouros is god. Kouros is good.

Groo-veh! <snap/>

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Welcome, manicboy. And Salvador Dali is also something else.

Brilliant suggestion, Dimitrios! Now YSL has something to think about.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    It's so amusing to hear about how polarizing Kouros is in the world of the men who wear/hate it. Who knew? I love it so much and recall buying it for 2 boyfriends in the 80s.

Manicboy & Co, you smell delicious.
    What she said. It really is amusing.

I wore Kouros in the 80's and have been sneaking a squirt or two from testers while shopping. I'm not so convinced I want to wear it again, in this stage of my life, but who knows...

Sur la Plage

It's great stuff!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck View Post
    After reading all that is said about it I so want to try it (even if I'm a girl)
    I'm so intrigued by this frag and about this love/hate passion towards it...
    I think this is exactly the sentiment which explains why so many people want to like Kouros.

Quote Originally Posted by Djamison66 View Post
    Haven't tried the Kouros Faicheur yet, is it any good? Seems to be well regarded in the reviews.

Although I prefer the original, Fraicheur is outstanding. It's perhaps the only "fresh" or "light" flanker that is loyal to the original. Basically, it's Kouros but not as heavy. I think it has less civet but more citrus. Unlike the other Kouros flankers, you can wear Kouros Fraicheur solely and still be a bona fide member of the Kouros Club.

Quote Originally Posted by fennec View Post
    gawd, someone gimmeh

I want a sample so bad, I love anything described as intolerably animalic or pissy or spicy or varanasi spice markets and summerballs.

Someone who hates this shit outta this aught to send me a sample!!!!
    piss into a vile and you will have ur sample and even for free. i recently smelled kouros 2weeks ago to see what the hype was about it. i did not even have to spray it and thankfully, because i did not want to smell like piss all day. i just put the bottle to my nose and was like how can someone enjoy this. but we all have our fav scents.

Interesting....what would make this a feminine I wonder?

I find Kouros sort of mouth watering. Not too many scents do this....always thought civet evoked that but maybe it's oakmoss that is the culprit.

*wipes chin*

Kore or Korai would be logical for its name...
    We should suggest the idea to YSL

Dependent

I dare them to make a fruity floral out of Kouros pour femme

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Groo-veh! <snap/>
    Blasphemy?

Alex McQueen Kingdom???
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Alex McQueen Kingdom???
    LOL Kingdom of Cumin is hardly feminine

One of my favorite scent.

I go back and forth on Kouros. I recently had a wearing of it that was quite wonderful, though.
    Salvador Dali PH I completely agree on: it isn't nearly as odd as I thought at first. Some notes and accords just take time. When I realized that Salvador Dali was an odd cousin of Third Man it settled right in and I began to enjoy it quite a bit.

I sure I'm alone in this but I think the drydown of A*Men and Kouros are a bit similar. Both are amazing. I need to wear loud and overbearing colognes to match my personality haha.

I hated it when I smelled it for first time: right out of the bottle. The sale's lady in Dillard's handed me the aftershave tester, so I dabbed some on my arm and put it up to my nose. I looked at the SA and said, "Nasty!...This really does smell like a public restroom!" Then I walked way into the mall. After 20 min or so, I was constantly smelling my wrist. It was something I had to have. I went to Target and bought the edt for less than what Dillard's was selling it for.
    I will be buying a new bottle soon, 'cause I just ran out and fall is on it's way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

Groo-veh! <snap/>
    Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Blasphemy?
    You're right!

KOUROS IS GREAT.

(God is too, but I'm not supposed to shill for Him on Basenotes! )

Its good to see the veteran Kouros haters not chiming in anymore .....
    So with that said , welcome to Basenotes Will1983 ...
    Thats some strong hate man ? & you havn't even worn it ... hmmmm
    perhaps in 20 yrs or so you may have a turnaround on the big K .

Ok , about the Kouros Pour Femme ,, just use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Booooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kouros sucks!!!!!
    lolz Will dispose of my botttle immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    lolz Will dispose of my botttle immediately.
    I own a facility that recycles Kouros. I will PM you my address if you need it taken care of. I really want to try it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    It's not nice to piss into the wind......or to dismiss the piss.

Don't diss the piss.

Quote Originally Posted by Will1983 View Post
    piss into a vile and you will have ur sample and even for free. i recently smelled kouros 2weeks ago to see what the hype was about it. i did not even have to spray it and thankfully, because i did not want to smell like piss all day. i just put the bottle to my nose and was like how can someone enjoy this. but we all have our fav scents.

You cannot seriously tell us that this is how you judge frags or see whether you might like them or not, from just sniffing the bottle or just from it's very first five minutes ??? ... That's just totally useless !!! ...
    All frags change, and most times almost completely, after 10 /15min on your skin ! So you really need to give them at very least that much of a chance. ... In fact most of my fave frags, are only at their very best once they've been on my skin a couple of hours. The "dry-down" of a frag is usually where it's at it's best. I mean, the very top notes, which is only what you smell if you only hold a bottle to your nose, is usually gone by the first 15min to half hour of a scents life.

And especially Kouros, it really needs to be on your skin, (your skin will change it completely) and when mixed with a bit of light clean sweat, is when it "shines" and is at it's very best. And believe me, it smells nothing like what it smells from the bottle (or even when sprayed onto a paper strip, for that matter !!!) .

So I really think before you can actually judge it as "whatever" ... you really have to actually smell it properly first. ... Give it a proper wearing (sprayed on your own skin) ... And then you can come back and tell us it's totally "rubbishy piss" ! ... And maybe then we'll believe and respect your opinion ! ... Until then ~ Sorry, but one quick cursory sniff of 5 seconds hardly qualifies as an opinion, now does it ??! !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 31st August 2009 at 12:14 PM.

You're right!

KOUROS IS GREAT.

(God is too, but I'm not supposed to shill for Him on Basenotes! )

Yet you still do ! ... You guys just can't resist it, hey !

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    You cannot seriously tell us that this is how you judge frags or see whether you might like them or not, from just sniffing the bottle or just from it's very first five minutes ??? ... That is just totally useless !!! ... one quick cursory sniff of 5 seconds hardly qualifies as an opinion, now does it ??! !
    well said Sybarite ...
    far to many paper sniffers or multiple arm testers report back after going on chaotic free multiple sampling extravanga ...
    one newbie a few days ago opened a thread on 5 classics !!
    SPAM , SPAM , SPAM .
    From now on i christen them "the bandwith robbers" ..

After the top notes disappear, Kouros is actually a lovely, deep, incense-like fragrance.

I don't wear it often, but still, welcome to the club!

Kouros is DEFINITELY all about the heart and drydown.

Also, like Giorgio For Men and some other powerful scents, you can't even test Kouros by spraying it on your hand and burying your nose in your hand. This isn't Eau Sauvage. Kouros is one of those few scents you have you let ENVELOP you with its sillage. You get the most out of Kouros by smelling its RADIANT scent, not by grinding your wrist into your nose. Kouros is one of my favorites, and even I admit it doesn't smell that great when you smell it up really close. THAT"S where you get the "piss" note!

I think YSL ought to include an instruction manual with every bottle of Kouros! It's one of those rare fragrances you practically have to learn how to wear!
    Last edited by shamu1; 30th August 2009 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will1983 View Post
    Never judge a scent by its top notes.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Kouros is DEFINITELY all about the heart and drydown.

Also, like Giorgio For Men and some other powerful scents, you can't even test Kouros by spraying it on your hand and burying your nose in your hand. This isn't Eau Sauvage. Kouros is one of those few scents you have you let ENVELOP you with its sillage. You get the most out of Kouros by smelling its RADIANT scent, not by grinding your wrist into your nose. Kouros is one of my favorites, and even I admit it doesn't smell that great when you smell it up really close. THAT"S where you get the "piss" note!

I think YSL ought to include an instruction manual with every bottle of Kouros! It's one of those rare fragrances you practically have to learn how to wear!
    I made the mistake of spraying Kouros to my arm and kept on constantly smelling my arm close to my nose. It really spoiled the Kouros experience for me. Plus my gf said i look like i was snorting coke So nowadays i rarely spray my frags to my arms.

Contrary to many, i spray Kouros 5 times to my neck and chest and i enjoy it very much. Well so far so good, no complaints yet.

I have graduated above the aquatics and citrus. I wonder how many people that hate Kouros have given it a fair wearing? Actually letting it dry before making a decision, or have already read somewhere that it smelled bad, therefore influencing their decision. Kouros is very potent and one spray can work. It emits an aura of attitude and virility. When worn correctly with confidence, this scent evokes primal instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapletop View Post
    I have graduated above the aquatics and citrus. I wonder how many people that hate Kouros have given it a fair wearing? Actually letting it dry before making a decision, or have already read somewhere that it smelled bad, therefore influencing their decision. Kouros is very potent and one spray can work. It emits an aura of attitude and virility. When worn correctly with confidence, this scent evokes primal instinct.
    Welcome to the Kouros Club

Kouros i feel is best worn in summer/hot weather.

Try increasing the number of sprays, don't be afraid, it might even be a nice experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mapletop View Post
    I couldn't have stated it better.

By the way, welcome to Basenotes and the Kouros Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post

Father Ron.
    I don't think the public will forgive him for wearing 10 sprays

[QUOTE=Will1983;1601296]piss into a vile and you will have ur sample and even for free. /QUOTE]

too funny