Code of Conduct

Default Acqua di Parma Colonia

I have a question about the original Acqua di Parma Colonia, which I am inclined to purchase. I know it is a traditional eau de cologne. I have tried Eau de Coq, Roger Gallet EV, and Eau de Imperiale. I am interested in what similarities and differences there are between AdP Colonia and these traditional colognes.

Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia

I can only compare AdP to Eau de Coq because I haven't smelled the other two. I own a bottle of AdP now, and owned a bottle of Eau de Coq about 6 years ago. As far as I remember, Coq was much more of a traditional eau de cologne than AdP, it was a lot more citrusy, and had much less radiance and longevity than AdP. AdP, on the other hand, has a floral accord on top of the citrus, which I find makes it a lot sweeter and "Mediterranean" in feel than the Coq. Although I liked Eau de Coq, I think AdP is a far better fragrance, simply because it's more complex, unique, and just plain smells better. I notice a lot of people in this forum have complained about AdP not being very long lasting, but on my skin, I'm able to get a good 6 or 7 hours out of it, which is excellent for an eau de cologne.

To answer your question, both are quality scents, but I'd get the AdP in a second over Eau de Coq.

Don't know what to tell you about the other two, though.

I love ADP Colonia but caveat emptor, it isn't very long lasting. If you can afford it, the best value is the 6oz splash. http://www.bigelowchemists.com/produ...pjn&subid=7467

Though I've only tried Eau de Imperiale to compare with, I think AdP Colonia is actually far more enjoyable. The citrus is extremely bright and I love the rose and spice that comes out in the dry-down. AdP is also surprisingly long-lasting for an eaux.

Thanks for the help...any more advice?

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Smell it first.

I prefer Assoluta, longer lasting & more interesting.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I agree...there is lot more happening in Assoluta and the longevity/sillage is much better than that of Colonia...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    That's how I feel about Intensa.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like the Absoluta better too, although it's not as fresh as the AdP Colonia cologne.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Colonia, Assoluta and Intensa are all sufficiently different, that someone could like any combination of them and justify owning one or more of them.

That stated, my preference is for Colonia.

As to the other fragrances that the original poster mentions, I am especially fond of Eau du Coq. Indeed, I own it and Colonia, as my (thus far) two "traditional" Eau de Colognes. I think Colonia lasts a bit longer and is more complex, introducing a rose heart that isn't in Eau du Coq.

Get some samples and test away!

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Colonia, Assoluta and Intensa are all sufficiently different, that someone could like any combination of them and justify owning one or more of them.

That stated, my preference is for Colonia.

As to the other fragrances that the original poster mentions, I am especially fond of Eau du Coq. Indeed, I own it and Colonia, as my (thus far) two "traditional" Eau de Colognes. I think Colonia lasts a bit longer and is more complex, introducing a rose heart that isn't in Eau du Coq.

Get some samples and test away!
    Agree totally, except I don't know Eau du Coq (but soon will after reading this). I do however wear Eau de Guerlain & Villoresi Uomo and recommend them as two other great alternatives for the days when you want a break from AdP Colonia.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Agree totally, except I don't know Eau du Coq (but soon will after reading this). I do however wear Eau de Guerlain & Villoresi Uomo and recommend them as two other great alternatives for the days when you want a break from AdP Colonia.
    I think Villoresi Uomo is great too.

Du Coq, Extra Vielle and Imperiale are fairly similar traditional colognes. Nice bright neroli sparkle in the beginning but don't expect much beyond that.

Acqua di Parma Colonia has a whammy of citrus followed by a rose drydown.

I don't find any similarities with the traditional colognes with AdP... while the traditional colognes play with the neroli, the mediteranneans (AdP, YSL PH, Armani EPH, Eau Sauvage etc) seem to play with the fruit itself.

Totally agree with those mentioning Villoresi Uomo as an AdP alternative, it is also great - Villoresi Uomo is more herbal than AdP which has a strong floral component. Personally I wasn't keen on Intensa, but I don't recall much about it to be honest.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

AdP sounds exciting. I will have to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    That's how I feel about Intensa.
    Me too. You've got good taste. However, I do like the original quite a bit, too. I just find it a bit old fashioned whereas Intensa is far more modern and definitively masculine.

Based on the OP's tastes though, I think he'll really enjoy Colonia.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 28th August 2009 at 08:40 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

My final question is how does AdP compare to say Floris no 89? Probably less spice and more citrus I would think, but any help would be great!

They're not not very similar. ADP dries down to a clean rose. It's more of a two note scent, but they're great notes. It has none of the powder or spice of No 89.

You should still try it, bokaba. You're in Socal. You must live somewhere near a Nordstrom's

A Sephora just opened in Temecula...I haven't been there yet, but am planning to go. Do they carry AdP?

A Sephora just opened in Temecula...I haven't been there yet, but am planning to go. Do they carry AdP?

I doubt it, the one where I shop doesn't - only online.

The Promenade in your area has 2 possible places - The Fragrance Bar and Perfume Gallery

http://www.promenadeintemecula.com/g...fm?CurrCat=222
    Last edited by adonis; 30th August 2009 at 04:44 AM.