Code of Conduct

Default Straight To Heaven by Kilian..

It's official and I am not crazy. I just let my gf and 2 of her friends try both Back To Black and Straight To Heaven, and they all hate the scent from Straight To Heaven. My gf said the scent smells like the maternity ward. The samples were sent from LuckyScent, and I really don't know if the STH sample is bad or what, but it doesn't smell very pleasant at all. STH smells like the coconut lotion I once bought from the buddish temple that was supposed to be use for rashes and insect bites. I have no other explaination, but hopefully, it was a bad sample, because I know a lot of Basenoters here really like it

Default Re: Straight To Heaven by Kilian..

I have a feeling they might have mixed up the labeling on the samples over at Luckyscent, as STH has no coconut notes, while Back to Black definitely has a coconute vibe (although it's not listed in the notes). Which one is sweeter to you? IMO STH is much sweeter than Back to Black, and also has a rum accord. Hopefully you'll be able to distinguish the two...
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 28th August 2009 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I have a feeling they might have mixed up the labeling on the samples over at Luckyscent, as STH has no coconut notes, while Back to Black definitely has a coconute vibe (although it's not listed in the notes). Which one is sweeter to you? IMO STH is much sweeter than Back to Black, and also has a rum accord. Hopefully you'll be able to distinguish the two...
    Can I send you the samples?

You should've bought A taste of Heaven! haha.. In my opinion.. the best By Kilian so far, even though Straight To Heaven gets lots of praise around here. I still have my sample, I'll check for the coconut otherwise.

*Update*

Coconut no.. but I can understand the anti-insect smell, haha
    Last edited by Giustino; 28th August 2009 at 05:20 PM.
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    Can I send you the samples?
    Errhh you could but now that wouldn't be any fun now would it? How about you put one on each wrist, take a look at the notes for each (see links below) and then try to figure out which one is which. It'll be a fun exercise and your nose will become more precise in the process.

I know you got the samples off Luckyscent, but here are the links anyway:

Straight to Heaven: I'd describe this as a very sugary patchouli with notes of rhum over a fuzzy kind of woody smell.

Back to Black: I'd describe this one as a powdery, coconutty tabacco. Very old school and nostalgic - something I think my grandmother could have worn, yet still modern enough to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Errhh you could but now that wouldn't be any fun now would it? How about you put one on each wrist, take a look at the notes for each (see links below) and then try to figure out which one is which. It'll be a fun exercise and your nose will become more precise in the process.

I know you got the samples off Luckyscent, but here are the links anyway:

Straight to Heaven: I'd describe this as a very sugary patchouli with notes of rhum over a fuzzy kind of woody smell.

Back to Black: I'd describe this one as a powdery, coconutty tabacco. Very old school and nostalgic - something I think my grandmother could have worn, yet still modern enough to pull off.
    I think LuckyScent's got the label switched between Back To Black and Straight To Heaven.

I haven't smelled BtB yet, but StH is pretty distinctive stuff, no coconut whatsoever. Basically, to my nose at least, straight rum and patchouli. Devastatingly good stuff as well!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I really like one of them, but not sure which is which. I will call Luckyscent and have them send me another (1) sample, if free of charge, for comparision.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    I really like one of them, but not sure which is which. I will call Luckyscent and have them send me another (1) sample, if free of charge, for comparision.
    Has to be Straight to Heaven...because I do not like Back to Black..and I love Straight to Heaven

Thank you for your e-mail. We have checked our samples inventory on the two scents, and both supplies are accurately labeled. However, just so that we can be sure that you are smelling and liking the correct scent, we will ship one of each to you today.

Best,

Andrea

www.luckyscent.com

866-931-8297

My sample of STH came from Luckyscent about a month or so ago... and I had to throw it immediately out. Smelled like that sulfur pomade they would put on lil' girls hair from my Caribbean childhood.

Girls hate STH, really.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I had a sample from LuckyScent of straight to heaven and it smelled like the BO from a alcoholic or Blackbeards bad breath. I found the rum and patchouli notes to be a real mess. On my skin it reeked like I had spilled some liquor on myself.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Back to Back has a distinct tobacco note which Straight to Heaven does not. You can't possibly confuse these 2, even without the labels.

Back to Back's honeyed tobacco is quite sexy on a woman but you gotta like tobacco notes.
    Straight to Heaven smells to me like a rum-soaked woods. Some people may be put off by the boozy aspect.

But fret not, if you don't like it, don't force yourself to. But give it another sniff a week from now just to be sure.

Back to Black is quite heavenly with a strong fruit/vanilla tobacco topnote. I will buy this someday, as it is bottle worthy, and those bottles are costly.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Man, I will never understand all the love for Back to Black. I was really excited to test this one but found it to be one of the most disgusting scents I've ever tried. I don't mind tobacco notes, but BtoB's idea of tobacco is an ashtray overflowing with wet, lipstick covered Virginia Slims butts.

I made a special stop at the Saks on my last trip to Vegas to sample Back to Black. I never imagined that I'd soon find myself in the Fashion Mall bathroom furiously trying to scrub this nasty crap off my wrist. In a word, gross!
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 22nd February 2010 at 05:06 AM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Straight to Heaven smells like patchouli oil on my skin... Not my thing at all. I like patchouli, but not straight up and not at that price.

Too expensive for me...also, it seems to be highly controversial !
    I won't buy it. With that money, I can buy a bottle of Nasomatto Duro + a bottle of Rive Gauche or M7.

You may be getting the coconut smell from the rum note in STH. I get that as well. I remember the scent being very faint, like I almost couldn't smell it.

Just take my simple advice: Don't buy a bottle, for anything on Earth. Buy a sample, if you can.
    trapper made that mistake of buying a bottle and he was very dissapointed after his first try.

look at the date of the original post! why the bump? and I agree with WindyCity1014 ... IMO back to black smells like piss.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    look at the date of the original post! why the bump? and I agree with WindyCity1014 ... IMO back to black smells like piss.
    YES!! Finally someone who agrees with me about Back to Black!
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    It's the honey in it. I thought the same thing the first time I tried it - similar to the reaction I had to Miel de Bois. However, that effect is gone when it's sprayed a bit more liberally, rather than dabbed or just sampled lightly on your arm. After I tried a couple more times and sprayed, it won me over.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Right here goes...

I hear a lot of people rate this fragrance highly. I loved Back to Black so thought I'd give it a shot!

Very well executed boozy notes at first. These notes are the highlight of what is a drowsy performance from the middle notes. The dried fruity accord is absolutely horrendous for me, it's very similar to fruit which has gone off - sweet and warm mouldyness. The sweetness is quite nice if you do not smell the mould accord I do!?
    Last edited by boosh; 23rd July 2011 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Girls hate STH, really.
    This girl loves STH enough to have one of those beautiful by Kilian black atomizers.
    Evenstar

Do you guys the the sweaty out of date fruity accord?
    Last edited by boosh; 23rd July 2011 at 05:56 PM.

I remember when I first tried this and thought this would be great scent for Blackbeard swashbuckling on the high seas.lol It's full of a dirty boozy patchouli that makes you smell like you have not washed in a week due to a drink problem.

Shiver me timbers matey's I will swap a bottle of grog for a straight to heaven to any lily livered landlubber who dare walk the plank. Yo-Ho-Ho.lol

A wonderful scent but IMO not worth the price for the size you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I had a sample from LuckyScent of straight to heaven and it smelled like the BO from a alcoholic or Blackbeards bad breath. I found the rum and patchouli notes to be a real mess. On my skin it reeked like I had spilled some liquor on myself.
    Yes, it is very boozy I wore it to work yesterday and I was a little self conscious about it. There is a trend in my workplace of people turning over to HR employees that smell of alcohol. I was scared!!!
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Shiver me timbers matey's I will swap a bottle of grog for a straight to heaven to any lily livered landlubber who dare walk the plank. Yo-Ho-Ho.lol
    *parrot chimes in...*

"SQUOOOOOK! STRAIGHT TO HEAVEN! WHEET-WHEEEW! Hey baby whatcha doin'. HELL-o."

By Kilian is my favorite house and to be honest with you I have the same instant reaction when I first sniffed STH. It's very harsh but it will get cooler in like an hour you'll understand why it's so praised.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

To my nose Straight to Heaven isby far the best scent. I love patchouli. back to black smells far too sweet for me and it reminds me of Archives 69 by Etat libre d'orange but then again I have JUST sprayed these guys on and I am just commenting on the top. And btw I see where some people are getting coconut from STH, I think because the rum is there you instinctively think carribian and coconuts.

This is my favorite Kilian. Its one thing to smell it and another to wear it, it does a complete 180 on my skin. Ive actually come to the conclusion that this is a warm weather frag. It stays very linear on the cooler days and does not open up without the warmer temps IMO.

I like everything in the By Kilian line but only own a few... I have a decant of STH and while I like it, I don't like it enough to wear it much. I don't want to smell like rum and patchouli too often. STH also has some obvious synthetics going on, i.e. a big dose of iso-e super. A Taste of Heaven, OTOH, is versatile, wearable and very natural smelling.

Back to Black... I own a fb and love it, it is very unique, very complex, very well blended and is a masterpiece, IMO.

Blog Entries

I didn't care for STH. Cruel intentions is my favorite
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays