Code of Conduct

Default Hater of Gentlemen

Not me i love it... I wore Gentlemen to work today and gosh... this stuff is great... I enjoy it so much it is very masculine and it is just a great frag...

Well one guy said to me though.. "(insult), also you smell like patchouli! You dirty F***ing Hippie!"

He just hates patchouli though so im gonna bring some certain incense into work for him

But it is amazing in my eyes... i smelled xeryus, and it smells similar to gentlemen, and habit rouge gave me a similar vibe but with some fruitiness.. Anyone else feel this way?

Default Re: Hater of Gentlemen

It's funny you mention the hippie thing. I was wearing GG earlier this summer when I picked up my sister at the airport, and the first thing she told me was that I smelled like a hippie. It may have been because I reapplied the GG in the middle of the day. I find that if you spray it on clean skin right after taking a shower, it smells clean, even though the patchouli is extremely prominent, no matter what you do. GG is a tough one to love if you hate patchouli. I love it.

Never smelled Xeryus, so I can't make any comparison, but I don't smell any similarity to Habit Rouge. To me, GG is a patchouli bomb, with a touch of civet. HR smells powdery and bitter to me, even though I love it too. However, I do think both do have a gentlemanly vibe to them.

Welcome to the male fragrance forum of BN, MikeB!
    Are you talking of my favorite, the unique classic by Givenchy created in 1974? - It's generally referred to as Givenchy Gentleman. For some reason or other Givenchy seems to have made us forget that several other brands also created colognes for men simply called Gentleman as well:
    Woods of Windsor (1981)
    Max Factor (1986)
    Marbert (1986)
    Guépard (2000)
    Yardley (2001)

Givenchy Gentleman collected 88 reviews (62 positives) here at BN, most of them based on the original formula, now changed.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Welcome to the male fragrance forum of BN, MikeB!
    Are you talking of my favorite, the unique classic by Givenchy created in 1974? - It's generally referred to as Givenchy Gentleman. For some reason or other Givenchy seems to have made us forget that several other brands also created colognes for men simply called Gentleman as well:
    Woods of Windsor (1981)
    Max Factor (1986)
    Marbert (1986)
    Guépard (2000)
    Yardley (2001)

Givenchy Gentleman collected 88 reviews (62 positives) here at BN, most of them based on the original formula, now changed.
    Good point. I assumed you were talking about Givenchy Gentleman, MikeB.

Also, I have both formulations of Gentleman, and I think both are excellent.

Sur la Plage

I love the original Givenchy Gentleman - truly a classic. I am not keen on the new formulation.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

As much as I enjoy the current version, the original is on another level altogether. Excessive application drowns the beauty within - a little goes a long way.

Givenchy Gentleman is one of the best classic frags still around- and a lot of the people I know speak highly of it- so if they don't like it at your workplace, it's their loss.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I love the original Givenchy Gentleman - truly a classic. I am not keen on the new formulation.
    How can one tell the difference between the original and reformulation? Are the bottles different and if so, what does the original's bottle look like?

As always, thanks to all for the great help.

Dependent

Nopes, no hate from me, only love for this one. (My experience limited to the current formulation as well)

The old version has the sticker label (silver foil) wrapped around the entire bottle. The current version just has a square sticker label on the front of the bottle.

The more I wear the new version, the more similarities I see with the old version. Both versions are very elegant, and IMO you can't go wrong with either.

It does sort of remind me of a hippie...who has grown up and made it big, but still wants to hang on to his patchouli-ish heritage. I really like patch, spice and leather, so it's natural for me to enjoy this one. Plus, I don't have any negative hippie associations due to my tender young age.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 29th December 2009 at 03:57 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It must have been because i smelled so many different frags that day. It made so many smell similar cause of OF.

Count me in. Of course the vintage version is preferred; the proportion of civet to patchouli creates an amazingly nuanced accord. The new version isn't entirely bad, maybe a bit bombastic, but life's better with the Gentleman than without.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    It must have been because i smelled so many different frags that day. It made so many smell similar cause of OF.
    I can't comment on the Xeryus relationship, but it does have some dirty leathery sweet Habit Rouge-ishness to it - so I agree with you on that.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Count me as a fan of the original, though I haven't smelled the new stuff.

But it is not an everyday frag for me.....I do find it powerful, and the patchouli and Civet combo can raise eyebrows for sure.
    It reminds me, a wee bit, of Kouros, though I find Kouros easier to wear.....
    url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]

But it is amazing in my eyes... i smelled xeryus, and it smells similar to gentlemen, and habit rouge gave me a similar vibe but with some fruitiness.. Anyone else feel this way?
    For me the herbal note in the top is noticeably different: artemisia for Xeryus, tarragon for Givenchy Gentleman. Xeryus also seems to dry down slower to a dry woody base, while Gentleman does seem to end up a bit more outdoorsy/slightly rotted woods even with the civet and other notes to smooth things out.

Then again, I dislike the smell of tarragon and patchouli rarely works out for me, so I'm probably biased.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    The old version has the sticker label (silver foil) wrapped around the entire bottle. The current version just has a square sticker label on the front of the bottle.

The more I wear the new version, the more similarities I see with the old version. Both versions are very elegant, and IMO you can't go wrong with either.
    Thank you so much for the information.

i smelled xeryus, and it smells similar to gentlemen
    Really? I don't see it.

You can tell your hippie hating coworker to go piss up a rope! GG is an awesome scent.

Although my own review of GG was neutral, because of the impact this can/does have on others, I love it. Love it. I now wear in it winter (wearing it today in fact, before stopping by basenotes.net) and in moderation it is fine. For the most part, however, I alone get the deep pleasure of it, which is all right.

Quote Originally Posted by 201motels View Post
    Really? I don't see it.
    I Retract my early comparison. I was smelling many other frags that day and was OF.. i went and smelled Xeryus today and it isnt similar... habit rouge. just a bit but gotta keep down the amount i smell

count me all in for Gentlemen, this is a Classy, elegant frag. I'm LOL about the Hippies, I knew some that wore this

Givenchy Gentleman is such a perfect blend of all the right 'masculine' elements! I really don't get that much of the "hippie" vibe here (incidentally, this is my SotD). Hmmm... gentleman...hippie...gentleman... hippie... Kinds of put me in a philosophical mood.

To my nose, patchouli is not all that prominent in GG due to the high overall quality of the frag, or let's just say it's not sticking out. The guy who said "(insult), also you smell like patchouli!" must have a good nose! You have a budding BNer as a coworker! No, wait, he hates hippies...