Code of Conduct

Default What neutralizes vetiver and shows a similar tenacity?

I want to experiment with neutralizing vetyver that is in the bottom of a synthetic oud. My first guesses would be ambergris to change it's character a little bit without accentuating it too much. . ? Any experience with this?

Default Re: What neutralizes vetiver and shows a similar tenacity?

The trouble with vetiver is that you easily overdose it. I recently had a lot of trouble with it in some fougère formulas.

Instead of correcting it I would simply not use the synthetic oud, but replace it with another. The best way to get a scent out of a formulation still is not adding it.

Quote Originally Posted by janmeut View Post
    The trouble with vetiver is that you easily overdose it. I recently had a lot of trouble with it in some fougère formulas.

Instead of correcting it I would simply not use the synthetic oud, but replace it with another. The best way to get a scent out of a formulation still is not adding it.
    I don't want to remove it, I just want to change it a little. Vetiver to me seems nearly un-modifiable. Perhaps it is just my nose because I like vetiver but as soon as I smell it on my own skin I almost always scrub it right off.

Oakmoss seems easily modified especially by other woods. It always says "oakmoss" but it can say it differently — vetiver, not so much (that I have found so far)

In that case any fragrance compound that is strong enough and added in sufficient amounts will modify the fragrance. To give an example: vanillin will make it sweeter and more powdery. Isobornyl acetate will make it greener and fresher. But it will not be neutralised, you will keep smelling aspects of the vetyver.