Code of Conduct

Default Cheap designer clothing (invite only)

With this being a fashion-forward site, I thought this could be of interest. Gilt.com is a "private" (not really, haha) website that offers a new lineup of designer clothing and accessories for a substantial discount of MSRP every day. There's been some really good stuff coming through. For example, right now they have Alexander McQueen up for the guys, and Dolce and Gabanna, Calvin Klein, and Cavalli up for the ladies, among others.

http://www.giltgroupe.com/invite/phazon

This is my referral link. Whoever signs up under my referral link should go ahead and post their link so the next person can sign off under them. If the person you refer buys something, you get a 25 dollar credit. I probably won't be buying something anytime soon, but I like to look, so I'd probably recommend you sign up on someone else's link, not mine if this takes off.
    Last edited by Royal; 29th August 2009 at 01:46 AM.

Default Re: Cheap designer clothing (invite only)

Do you have to be a US resident? It told me my "postal code is not a valid postal code."

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Do you have to be a US resident? It told me my "postal code is not a valid postal code."
    From their FAQ...

At the moment, we ship to the United States only, including APO/FPO addresses. We do not offer shipment of packages outside of the United States.

Sorry, guess I should clarify now that this is US-only.

Uggh Gilt irritates me. Everything I want is sold before I can kop...

This is a lot cooler than expected. Here's my invite link:

http://www.giltman.com/invite/fadingreality414

Thanks, Royal, looks like there could be some very good finds. Alas the Alexander Wang heels are sold out. But here is my link:

http://www.gilt.com/invite/miasalternate
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

We jhave many of these in Europe, I use vente privée and buy vip frequently for everything from tableware to socks to children's shoes. Savings off retail range from 50 to 80%. It's like a permanent end of season sale. I suppose you all know yoox? I've made the most incredible purchases of high end designer stuff there, particularly on their end of season super sales. A 1000 Euro hand-tailored Chester Barrie winter coat for 90, a €300 Costume Nationale blazer for € 39, € 380 Burrberry trousers for € 40...It's the only way I can afford this stuff in the first place
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Yoox is great!!! If only designers made "bigger" sizes... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    Yoox is great!!! If only designers made "bigger" sizes... lol
    That's what my wife always says .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Your wife is a smart one!!! I don't know why do they call a EUR40 a large size... If they were intelligent, they would make bigger sizes with smaller numbers... Reverse psychology I believe... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Baldufita View Post
    Your wife is a smart one!!! I don't know why do they call a EUR40 a large size... If they were intelligent, they would make bigger sizes with smaller numbers... Reverse psychology I believe... :P
    They already do that (vanity sizing, it's called) and I hate it. Thing is, I'm already at the bottom of the scale (EU34/36), so if they start making the fit larger while keeping the same size number, things won't fit me. I have clothes sized 30 for crying out loud - a few years back the exact same garment would have been a size 36 or even 38.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

That's the only negative point I found Veuve... For you skinny gals, things aint pretty either...

Let me rephrase then: I wish designers made ALL sizes... Beter zo?

Thanks for the link Royal, but, ugh, I had better not. I have a destination wedding to attend in a few months and need to start pinching those pennies again. Hopefully your referral link still works in June!

Woo hoo! I just scored a pair of Acne jeans for $108. And coming up tomorrow is Rag and Bone and Halston (I'm eyeballing a Halston top on another site so fingers crossed it pops up on this one). Thanks again for the invite to this, I'm loving it - fellow jewelry whores, def. check it out, they have some nice stuff at serious discount.

And yes, Yoox is a great resource, too.

Re: vanity sizing. The weird thing is it seems to go both ways. Some brands vanity size larger, and some seem to vanity size smaller - some of the Italian brands are guilty of this, imo. Diesel is crazy small. So is Balmain - which has allowed me to successfully resist spending waaay too much money on a pair of trendy jeans this season. I'm generally a size S/M (a size you think would be widely available, it isn't on either end of the scale) but it's odd how in some brands I'm an XS and in others a L (my jean size is 26 for reference). Same thing for (Italian) shoes. Are Italians just tiny or something?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Shame they only ship to the US...

And yes, Italians must be tiny!!! When I was a EUR40 I tried to go to Benetton and even their biggest size wouldn't fit me... Imagine now that I'm a EUR44... :/

Spain is also guilty of small sizing, believe me... :/
    Last edited by Baldufita; 6th January 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Hey, heads up to AnnArborBodhi - I ended up NOT getting those Acne jeans so if you're still waiting on your $25, it won't be for those (honestly, tho, it'll happen, I'm predictably and pathetically into the whole get-online-at-12-noon-and-shop-very-fast thing).

Also heads up to other people in the thread, people weren't kidding about items selling out! ALL of the Cynthia Vincent shoes were sold out within the first 10 mins 1today. And my Halston top was not among the sale items. There WAS a super cute jumpsuit but for $500...awww...can't do it.

Baldufita - get a US cohort to accept your deliveries if you want to shop in the US. That's what I do. Very handy. I agree with you re: Italians. They must be a compact race. One of the enduring shop-based humiliations of my life was being told (at age 17 and 118 lbs) that I was "too...ehhhm....large" to fit into a pair of leggings I wanted to try on in a Rome Boutique. The SA was apparently scared I would "stretch them out" which looking back might have been a legit concern (they were very thin cashmere and more like tights than leggings, I guess) but at the time, yeah, I fled in near-tears.

So "niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice" of that SA to tell you that!!!

I also wonder where do Italians (and other Mediterranean women for that matter) put their, ahem, tits with those sizings... It's just beyond me...

And regarding the US cohort... What is that and how do I get one!!