Code of Conduct

Default Are males more interested in fragrance than females?

There seems to be more, a lot more people viewing in the Male Fragrance section than Female Fragrance section. I thought fragrance to females is like football to us guys !!??

Default Re: Are males more interested in fragrance than females?

There are a lot of other beauty-oriented forums where women post about fragrance. Basenotes is essentially the only one that offers a male focus, so all males interested in the hobby end up here. Females interested in the hobby are spread among many different forums.

Dependent

There are significantly more threads and posts on the Male Boards as well
    Like they say, BN is not representative of the masses.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    There are a lot of other beauty-oriented forums where women post about fragrance. Basenotes is essentially the only one that offers a male focus, so all males interested in the hobby end up here. Females interested in the hobby are spread among many different forums.
    Yeah a lot more ladies on MUA...

Yes, there are *always" more male members online at any given time. I think this every time I log in...

P.S. In my experience, women *do" have better noses for certain things and they say it acts as an early warning device in the game of survival; women are usually in charge of the young. I can easily smell the scent of a wildfire/something burning minutes before my husband can detect it. Scent is also affected by monthly hormonal fluctuations.

matthewfoo has a good point about the options for women scent fans. So few forums for male scents fans.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

yes here on BN there is
    thats because it was created
    for men in '99 in '03 they created
    a female board, but if you go to Now Smell This
    or Perfume Posse most of the comments
    are from women
    that being said I think guys and perfume are an awesome combo!
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    Here, here! A man leaving the subtle sillage of his scent--his wake--is irresistible!

I find myself like a doe scenting a buck in the forest! Might I ask you all to ponder my avatar? :bounce: (swoon) A man wearing eau de jasmine...
    Last edited by Primrose; 29th August 2009 at 06:12 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think BN is one of the few (maybe the only) male dominated fragrance forum. Perfume of Life, MUA and others are all female dominated.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Not sure here but I think more guys join internet message boards than women. They mostly stick to social network crap etc. Could be wrong though.

I'm much more interested in females than fragrances.

Oops. I misunderstood the question!

How about this...

If men's fragrances are supposed to attract females, and women's fragrances are supposed to attract males, then how come men don't wear women's perfume and vice versa?

Well, I certainly know a few guys more interested in fragrances than most women.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    yes here on BN there is
    thats because it was created
    for men in '99 in '03 they created
    a female board, but if you go to Now Smell This
    or Perfume Posse most of the comments
    are from women
    lightgreen22 is correct.

Basenotes was originally a men's fragrance forum. The women's forum was added later. Basenotes still retains some of its characteristics from the early days.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I am glad basenotes expanded beyond the men's forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    How about this...

If men's fragrances are supposed to attract females, and women's fragrances are supposed to attract males, then how come men don't wear women's perfume and vice versa?
    See my posting above! In nature, males attract females in a variety of ways: vocalisations, scent, physical display, dance, etc. Think about the wonderful variety of bird courthship displays and rituals. (Usu. the girls are not as brightly plumed as the boys, for camouflage reasons and to protect the young. Girl-birds *like* it when a man shows an interest in wooing her! I like a "peacock" display--a man dressed to impress me and strutting his stuff to get my attention! I don't find a man well-dressed and perfumed to be "girly" at all. I *like* the fact that he is confident in his masculinity. Au contraire, he is showing respect for the woman of his interest. For my own tastes, I never liked "ungroomed slobs." ( I have heard with my own ears, however, that some women like men "with dirt under their naills." This is no joke. Well, to each his...her...own.)

The "toned-down" aspect of male appearance and grooming in Western culture began in the 1850s. Just look at male fashion plates of that time and compare to earlier images. Oh, I weep for the glorious bygone days of the 1830s! After 1850 or so, no more colours, no more male display. At least one can still make a statement with a choice of cuff-links, a watch or jewellery or a well-chosen pocket square.

Sometimes there is nothing more attention-getting than in-your-face masculinity and the pride of being a male.
    Last edited by Primrose; 29th August 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    There seems to be more, a lot more people viewing in the Male Fragrance section than Female Fragrance section. I thought fragrance to females is like football to us guys !!??
    My female friends have tons and tons of perfumes, and are nowhere near forums! My sister too. 3 shelves of perfumes and she's nowhere near PC or laptop to discuss about it. I have about dosen colognes and here I am

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

My take on this is that men are more inclined to analysing stuff be they fragrances or the latest electronic gadgets and share them online. Women would rather meet over cheese cake and talk about their 'finds-of-the-century'.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 29th August 2009 at 03:49 PM.

Basenotes Institution

The male forum is ALWAYS busier than the female fragrance forum - it's amazing - there's always at least 20 people in here - that's why I've come to visit- to see what action is going down here !
    hello guys !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th August 2009 at 04:15 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    My take on this is that men are more inclined to analysing stuff be they fragrances or the latest electronic gadgets and share them online. Women would rather meet over cheese cake and talk about their 'finds-of-the-century'.
    Yeah, those gals must have been talking about me

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    The male forum is ALWAYS busier than the female fragrance forum - it's amazing - there's always at least 20 people in here - that's why I've come to visit- to see what action is going down here !
    hello guys !
    Hi mysticknot. Please come in and stick around. Just one question- Your nick...Is it "mystic knot" or it's really "my stick not"?
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 29th August 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    Not sure here but I think more guys join internet message boards than women. They mostly stick to social network crap etc. Could be wrong though.
    That is an interesting stat Big Punisher. Where did you find that one? Your cave?

Women have a stronger sense of smell than men. This is one of the reason's why women's antiperspirants are stronger- we are more sensitive to body odours than men. I bet if we looked at worldwide marketing budgets for fragrances we would find differences from country to country, but overall I imagine more money is spent selling to women as women overall spend more money. Just look at the perfume real estate on the main floor of any department store.

I don't think male/female posting activity on this site is indicative of which sex is more interested in fragrances.

Why Basenotes has a more active Men's Fragrance Discussion is an interesting question, though. What were the origins of this site? Where was it linked in the early days?

Basenotes Institution

Hi mysticknot. Please come in and stick around. Just one question- Your nick...Is it "mystic knot" or it's really "my stick not"?
    Hey Luke- thanks for the welcome. The male forum is very interesting - ,love it !You're not the first to ask - it's Mystic Knot - as in the feng shui knot .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 29th August 2009 at 04:41 PM.

Talking Re: Are males more interested in fragrance than females?

Well, I'm more interested in frangrance than females...

And I suppose I'm not the only one here, or am I ???

I think it is common knowledge that more money is spent on marketing fragrances to women than to men and that dollar sales are higher for feminines (on average). There is some data along this line presented by Chandler Burr in "The Perfect Scent".

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Hey Luke- thanks for the welcome. The male forum is very interesting - ,love it !You're not the first to ask - it's Mystic Knot - as in the feng shui knot .
    Thank you, MysticKnot. Most nicknames are not so obvious and that was the reason I asked.

Basenotes Institution

Thank you, MysticKnot. Most nicknames are not so obvious and that was the reason I asked.
    That's OK ! I find the male discussion so interesting- you guys here are so vibrant and enthusiastic and there's great taste too .

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Glad to see you here, mysticknot. Women's input are very much welcomed here cuz I think women do have much more sensitive noses. They have good taste too; do you know of any woman who pick terrible scents for their guys?

I tend to agree with this, although I admit it's an overgeneralisation. *Most* men tend to "analyse" things more formally than *most* women whether it's perfume, car maintenance, customising motorcycles, etc.

Perfume critiques are really "breaking things down" into components, just like some men enjoy breaking down auto engines in their garages! LOL!

Quite a few women try perfume and exclaim, "OOOH, how pretty!" and buy a bottle without thinking further. (Then again, many men do the same thing.)

I have bought many things marketed to women because of the size (e.g. sport watches) and they are always pink or magenta! Then the "women's pink" version does not have all the features of the men's product. Companies market to women by simply "making it pretty" and not thinking of function and engineering. (A young woman in my family bought a flash drive simply because of the colour--and not the storage space!)

Perfume connoisseurship is reall a special hobby...er...lifestyle.
    Last edited by Primrose; 29th August 2009 at 06:32 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I agree. My wife says i analyse everything
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I agree. My wife says i analyse everything
    Hmm, interesting!

To answer the title of the thread : No

I knew I was really a man!

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Hahh??

3xasif just traumatised about 50 young male readers of this thread, or at least forced them to reevaluate their sexuality.....
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I guess being analytical makes me a man, too.