Code of Conduct

Smile My collection so far. What am I missing?

Evening Colognes:

Fresh:
    Nautica Voyage (short lasting)
    Givenchy Blue Label Pour Homme (short lasting)
    D&G Light Blue Pour Homme (average lasting)
    Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio (average lasting)
    Strong:
    Ralph Lauren Romance (short lasting)
    Calvin Klein Obsession (average lasting)
    Drakkar Noir (long lasting)
    A*Men (long lasting)
    M7 (long lasting)

Day Colognes:

Fresh:
    Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey pour homme (long lasting)
    212 Men (long lasting)
    Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (long lasting)
    Strong:
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male (long lasting)
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste (long lasting)
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport (long lasting)
    Hugo Boss Hugo (long lasting)

Special Occasions:
    Chanel Egoiste (long lasting)

I suppose it is a very primitive way of classifying colognes but clearly, I haven't achieved the kind of refinement you guys have, yet.

Anyway, any suggestions to help improve my wardrobe? Any additions? Any replacements? Also, I really like longer lasting scents. That was kind of my first criteria for a lot of the above since I get a chance to apply it only once in the morning and once in the evening. And, I live in a VERY HOT (and sweaty) place.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Lynx; 4th September 2009 at 03:56 AM.

Default Re: My collection so far. What am I missing?

I live in a very hot country, too. And you need some more special and luxerious. Some scents for evening wear, or for special events. If possible, you should try these ( none are niche ):
    1. YSL Rive Gauche.
    2. YSL La nuit de l'Homme.
    3. YSL M7.
    4. Dior Homme.
    5. Burberry London.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 29th August 2009 at 08:15 AM.

I second Rive Gauche, M7 and Dior Homme and would also like to suggest you Chanel Antaeus, YSL Opium Eau D'Orient, Trussardi Jeans, Solo Loewe, Boucheron Jaipur, Very Valentino, Cerutti Si, Jil Sander Man, Boss Bottled, Baldessarini Ambre, Hugo Dark Blue, Lanvin Vetiver, Azzaro Visit and Azzaro Bright Visit, in particular oder or arting and with no specific wardrobe destinations, since at least a part of these scents are all-rounders, suitable for both daytime and evening (as well as special) occasions.

Dependent

Thanks for sharing your collection
    If you are currently happy with what you have, my opinion would be to stick with it, until you feel the need for something new. That being said, something lush and voluptuous like M7 would be a nice addition

Blog Entries

If you like D&G Light Blue, AdG, Eternity, L'eau D'Issey, and Hugo (as I do), they you would probably love Bvlgari Aqva (my current favorite). It's not exactly adding something "new" to your wardrobe, but try it out. It's very versatile.

Observations:

1. Just because a scent is long lasting doesn't make it a day scent. A*Men, for example, is an evening scent for me.

2. I don't see any tobacco, leather or rose scents. For example, you might try Aramis Havana (recently re-released) for a tobacco, Richard James Saville Row for a Rose, and 1776 Russian Leather for a leather scent.

3. Personally, I'd replace Le Male with Jaipur PH, and Acqua di Gio with Halston Unbound when you get to the end of those bottles. Also, if you like gourmands, sample Rochas Man when you are finished with A*Men.

4. New houses to try: Guerlain, Creed, Caron, Aramis, YSL
    Last edited by Moneysuckle; 29th August 2009 at 02:24 PM.

@ Moneysuckle: Was it (havana) releashed?
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I also recommend M7 and Dior Homme. I would suggest you to check out Dior Fahrenheit aswell.

Lynx, thats a great collection you have there mate, wish I had something like that when I was 'starting out!' I'm still trying to find a cheap bottle of Platinum Egoiste.

One thing I noticed is that you don't have any woody / incense / cedar heavy scents. Maybe try the following three, they are all easily accessible and quite cheap - Gucci pour Homme (original in a cube with brown juice) - Cold weather, night, Christian Lacroix Tumulte - Cold weather, day, and Terre d'Hermes - warm weather, night/day
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I don't care for any of those scents besides A*Men but if you want some green scents try Guerlain vetiver and Dior farenheit. Terre de hermes might be good too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Think I'll go on another small shopping spree now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Think I'll go on another small shopping spree now.
    Remember that in the end it's u that decides what's good and what's not. I made the mistake of buying frags that were highly rated here but i myself didn't really like after a few wearings. Luckily for me only a few buys ended up like that.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Remember that in the end it's u that decides what's good and what's not. I made the mistake of buying frags that were highly rated here but i myself didn't really like after a few wearings. Luckily for me only a few buys ended up like that.
    This is sound advice!

Why not add something a little more snazzy than the usual designer stuff? What about something from Hermes? Bel Ami is quite good, a powdery leather scent that smells like a million bucks!

Went shopping and bought M7 along with Calvin Klein Obsession and Drakkar Noir.

Unfortunately, most of the recommended ones in this thread were nowhere to be found in my country. I can try ebay but I don't know how to try the colognes out safely before purchasing the bottle. Not many samples are available on ebay and I could not find any good online retailers who have most brands, have a reasonable price for the samples and have reasonable international shipping rates.

Any suggestions?

P.S.: More suggestions to improve the collection still would be awesome too!
    Last edited by Lynx; 4th September 2009 at 04:00 AM.

Guerlain Vetiver is an excellent recommendation. Also, has anyone smelled the reissued Havana yet?

I smelled Guerlain Vetiver a couple weeks back, and Have that on order now, It's very versatile IMO and could be pulled off quite easily I guess but leans slightly towards formal wear..

here are a few that I personally would like you to sample:
    JC Dirty English : Modern, Late afternoon/evening.
    D&G The One : Formal,Intimate.
    Guess Man : sweet ,fresh, soapy and fruity, something I don't see in your drobe, worth looking into. this lasts really nicely too.
    Fahrenheit and/or Grey Flannel : Violet leaf dominant, Very green, very heavy scents. very in your face, might come handy.
    Bvlgari Black : I don't know if people would agree with me, but I see this as Le Male without the attitude, and 10x more class and sophistication.
    Kenzo Power : Fizzy Lemony opening with a nice floral heart. lasts a good amount of time too.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!