Code of Conduct

Default Cologne vs Sun? Storing cologne in car glovebox.

I live in a very hot country and the car is quite often parked in an area where it is exposed to direct sunlight for a few hours a day. I would however like to keep a cologne for emergency purposes in the glove box (Chanel Platinum Egoiste).

Would doing this (heat) spoil the cologne?

Thanks!

Default Re: Cologne vs Sun? Storing cologne in car glovebox.

don't do it

it'll probably increase evaporation and probably spoil it

I've had a travel atomizer of Terre D'Hermes and it was vaporized in one month (though it was 2.5ml).
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

A weird thought: Would keeping the atomizer in a thermos damp down the temperature extremes enough to help?

Crayfish

Just get a 5-10ml glass atomizer and leave that in your car, that way you won't spoil the whole bottle.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Heat and light: the mortal enemies of fragrance. I would absolutely not recommend leaving any perfume in a hot car. Can't you stash a bottle wherever it is you go? Some of us here keep a bottle at work.

Alternatively you can get a mini-atomizer and keep it in your pocket. That's what I do for some frags, such as the famously short lived Eau d'Orange Verte.

Dependent

I would go with carrying atomizers on you. I remember how my CD cases would literally deform when I left them on the dashboard as I parked my car in the open for a couple of hours in our usual 30+ deg cels weather. I assume it's not as bad in the glove compartment, but still very very bad for any juice. Don't leave any in the car is my suggestion.

I would even worry about adverse effects of using warmed up fragrance with ingredients reacting due to heat. Skin irritations could arise.

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    I would even worry about adverse effects of using warmed up fragrance with ingredients reacting due to heat. Skin irritations could arise.
    In a nutshell, hot temperatures can cause chemical changes whether the substance be medicine or perfume.

Don't do it!! You will ruin your investment of fine scent and also take the risk, as cpk said, of harming your skin. P.S. Chemicals are also absorbed into the body via open pores on a hot day. Don't risk this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Storing it in the glovebox under hot sun is fragrance suicide.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    I would however like to keep a cologne for emergency purposes in the glove box (Chanel Platinum Egoiste).
    Cologne for emergencies? Lol, but that will be a first. A fresh spare set of clothes would be a better bet. But if you have to smell cool, a cooler box with ice in the boot perhaps?

Lol... Yeah, thanks all! Will explore the atomizer route.
    Last edited by Lynx; 29th August 2009 at 05:31 PM.

Put it in a ziplock bag, and then put the ziplock bag inside a mini box filled with ice.

The problem with people like me is that I like to carry a lot of bottles with me wherever I go and I live in California, a pretty hot place during the Summer months. So, I put all my favorite fragrance bottles in a cooler box, inside the car (not the trunk). Ofcourse, with all those fancy bottles, my cooler box is a very nice looking one and not some cheapo from Walmart. The heat doesn't stand a chance! Now, if you want to go further, have a couple packs of blue ice inside the box and rest easy. I usally carry about 7 or 8 bottles or more with me.
    Added: Here's the bag that I am currently use and you can buy it on Ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Concept-Internat...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 29th August 2009 at 07:09 PM.

Don't do it...

maybe a VERY small decant
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

I had a bottle of Cool Water that I kept in my glovebox for probably 4-5 years. I really only used it to spray the car if the car smelled funky. I may have sprayed some on my shirt a few times, but not my skin. Then a couple weeks ago, I sprayed some on my neck and I swear after about 10 minutes it smelled like "country air" if you know what I mean. Literally cow manure, I am not kidding. So this can definitely ruin a fragrance for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by hcr View Post
    I had a bottle of Cool Water.... it smelled like "country air" if you know what I mean. Literally cow manure, I am not kidding. .
    I thought that's what Cool Water was supposed to smell like....j/k
    Last edited by Maz24; 30th August 2009 at 09:38 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

125-130 F temperatures are reached inside closed, parked automobiles in less than 1/2 hour in my neighborhood during summer. I left a half full 5 ml glass roll-on of Montana Parfum d'Homme in my front seat console. It was uncomfortably warm to the touch when I took it out a few hours later, the juice itself had evaporated by what appeared to be 10%. Still good though, as it was a one time event. I wouldn't keep a decant in there 'permanently', certainly not a bottle.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

get yourself a very small plastic atomizer (like the ones they give out at Sephora) and carry it in your pocket....(I say plastic so you don't accidentally sit on broken glass...)
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    get yourself a very small plastic atomizer (like the ones they give out at Sephora) and carry it in your pocket....(I say plastic so you don't accidentally sit on broken glass...)
    That is what I would advise too. The problem with atomizers left in the heat (besides damaging the scent) is they will leak. My arm rest storage is now scented with Aubepine Acacia as an 8ml plastic decant atomizer I had stashed there slowly twisted itself open in the heat

On the other hand my car smells great
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Storing cologne in a hot car is one of the 7 deadly sins IIRC. Go to Sephora and ask for small vials you can carry around.