Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How many of you've got ripped-off on Ebay

Has anyone ever bought from mcosmetics? After reading this thread I'm starting to worry. The seller doesn't have any feedback accusing them of selling fakes, but there are a number of complaints about service and the quality of the items.

If you see complaints about service and quality of items, avoid them and look someplace else. imo

I got a fake perfume bottle of pour de Toilette and a pair of fake Oakley sunglass from eBay! It's been very annoying. A posted a complaint to them, but nothing ever happened. I switched to City sunglass for sunglasses, and for the perfume I haven't got a good shop yet. If anyone can suggest a good online shop for french and American perfumes. Thanks in advance.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Haven't had it happen to me yet, but then again, I don't buy fragrances on Ebay.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't want to brag, but most of my collection is from eBay, and I haven't been stung once. The worst thing that happened was a seller sending me a factice once, not knowing that it was one. I was refunded promptly without quibbles.

My tip: Caveat emptor; use caution and common sense. Buy only from sellers with good feedback, and fragrances that aren't widely know to be copied (e.g most Chanel). If something is too cheap or too good to be true, it usually is. If your gut tells you something's fishy, don't let your desire for a bargain overrule that spidey-sense.

I have bought many fragrances from eBay over the years and got great deals. I am very cautious and do my homework, I know certain brands get faked more than others and steer clear, actually I did once buy Chanel No22 from the US old style and it turned out to not only be 100% genuine but vintage the late 80s!

The only dud I have got from eBay was an eyeshadow palette which was Armani. Knew straight away it was fake and got my money back.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Arpège by Lanvin

Collecting a few vintage miniatures myself on eBay as wel, the risk is not knowing how well the item has been preserved. And even if so, wether the scent was able to stand the test of time.

Other than that, I expect you just have to read as much as possible. And that would filter out the FM frags, UAE and indian oils and other obvious alternatives. I also feel (almost) safe buying e.g. 5packs of testers from honk kong.

I would second the last comment, these online markets especially local ones may give you some nice opportunities every now and then.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Only got burned on a vintage Drakkar Noir that went bad and a fake Safari, which was quickly refunded. Other than those 2 instances, I've had excellent success on eBay due to patience and research.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The worst thing that happened to me concerned an Issey Miyake Summer Edition sale.

They posted pictures of the 2009 bottle in their ad. They were selling it for $42. So I bought bottles of it. The 2009 bottle typically retails for $125. I was planning to keep one and turn around and sell the others. They then proceeded to send me the 2017 version. Then they changed the pictures that were in their advertisement.

I had bought the bottles on Friday, they arrived on Wednesday. When I told them what happened they told me I could get a refund but they were vague and not very helpful. They told me they would send me a return label and that I could print it out and put it back on the same box they shipped to me and when they got it they would refund my money. I was busy that week and left for a two week vacation on Saturday. I hadn't shipped the bottles back yet. To make a long story short, I got a message from eBay on Sunday telling me that since a week had passed from the time I purchased the bottles, they were no longer eligible for a refund. I contacted the sellers and told them they had never warned me about this and to give me more time. They said they would give me 3 days but no longer. I told them I was on vacation and wouldn't be back for another week and a half. They told me too bad. There was nothing they could do. eBay wouldn't help me at all. The sellers somehow blamed me in the end saying it was my fault for not returning the bottles soon enough. I had been a given a WEEK from the time of my purchase, 4--5 days which were taken up by transit. And because they had "offered me a refund" I couldn't leave any kind of negative feedback for them. It wasn't even an option.

I'm still perplexed by this situation. I had never heard ANYTHING regarding such a short time period in which you had to return an item. I thought you had 60 days or something like that. Not one week. I've had people return stuff to me and I've never even seen some kind of time limit option that I could adjust. The seller was some large company, one of these mega sellers, and I know that they had some conversations with eBay back and forth as soon as I complained about what I'd been sent. But I still don't know how they got away with that. The fact that I couldn't leave feedback is what really bothered me in the end.
    Currently wearing: Bleu Satin by MDCI

When more than 1 bottle is available, I always confirm with the seller if the bottle in the picture is the actual bottle I will receive. It seems Cool Water and Trussardi Uomo are infamous for wrong pictures as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Twice. I bought a boxed bottle of vintage Dune, but some cheap bottle I didn’t recognize was in there. It stunk, and I tossed it. The seller gave me a prompt refund. I also bought what I believe was a fake Bvlgari The Vert Extreme. Smelled very weak. May have been watered down. Also seemed like the packaging had been reglued. I sent it back for a refund.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada