Code of Conduct

Default Boston Meet-Up Wrap-Up

What began with champagne ended with champagne. In between was a lot of sniffing, hugging, laughing and cologne-scented cameraderie.
    Seven of us started the morning, me, Pomander, ComDiva, chayaruchama, nvrlnd, poodlegirl, and Lefay.
    We entered Neiman-Marcus and were greeted warmly by Ann and Annette who introduced us to the various reps there. They had pastries and mini quiches along with champagne and orange juice. The Tom Ford White Musk colection was there for preview. Urban Musk and White Suede were the stand-outs. Next up was Barney's and we tried the new Serge Lutens Fille en Anguilles and the big surprise was they had the new Parfums DelRae Mythique which was incredble. A deep iris that was great on me.
    We headed to Sak's and the Guerlain boutique there. Christopher was there to take care of us. As a bonus Mary Line Patry the US head of Guerlain cometics was there and she took most of our group and by looking at their skin made suggestions for all of us. We also go to sniff the new Bois Torride from a pre-release tester. It was much better on the people who wore it on their skin than it was on the strip. We then headed down to the fine fragrance area where they had Tom Ford Grey Vetiver for sale. They also had the new Narciso Rodriguez Essence, Idole D'Armani., and the new Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise.
    We took a break for lunch but we lost poodlegirl as she had to go home and take care of her poodle who was home all alone.
    During lunch we got to talk about things beyond perfume, imagine that.
    Unfortunately we lost nvrlnd to work but we picked up Jarvis.
    Refueled we headed over to Chanel and dodged the ravages of Tropical Storm Danny. Like the best smelling drowned cats you ever saw Fiona let us exclaim and ooh over the Les Exclusifs and Cristalle Eau Vert among the rest of the offerings.
    Next up was Hermes and Joan took us through the Heremessence lines as well as the extrait version of Kelly Caleche and Terre D'Hermes.
    The final stop was Neil Morris' business partner's beautiful house in Boston's South End. There Neil exposed us to the latest ten Vault scents and eight new ones that, I think we were the first to smell! Neil and David were so gracious and generous and they are wonderful. David poured champagne for us and we all smelled so many of Neil's amazing creations. We were all fans and so it was special for us to ooh and aah over something new.
    After a full day we all went to our mode of train or automobile and headed home.
    This was a great time with a great group of Basenoters.
    I can't tell you how much the people we met at each store loved working with people who knew their stuff. They were as interested in what we thought of the new things we were trying as we were.
    We had a great time and I look forward to the next time that we can all get together to laugh, sniff and hug.
    Pictures to come.
    A big thank you to all of the stores and Neil Morris and David for making this as special a day as it could've been.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: Boston Meet-Up Wrap-Up

I'm so sorry that I had to leave early - it sounds like I missed a lot! But it was great meeting you all and I hope to start de-lurking here very soon. thanks again for a great day!!

Wow, that sounds like so much fun! I think champagne must be the perfect fortifier for all that sniffing. Looking forward to hearing more impressions of some of the fragrances. What a great day you had!

This is really the "not-London-meet-up" that I am most envious of (though I wished that I could have been at them all!)... because of Neil Morris. One day I have to meet him; he has been utterly charming over email and his scents have made me sit up and take notice.

Great report! You write it like a story

That sounded like an end-to-end fantastic day! To meet the Head of Guerlain USA would have been the high point for me - those fragrance recs based on skin would have been very interesting. There again, meeting that lady might have been the low point, if I had dared inquire about my recent issues with formulation variance in Plus que Jamais. Oooh errr!

Seriously though, it sounds like you had an absolute blast, what with the highly informed SAs, the quality refreshments and the tour of Neil Morris's Vault collection.

Last edited by VM I hate civet; 30th August 2009 at 09:32 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Goodness, what a terrific day!

I've got pictures of the Neil morris part of our day.
    after we left Hermes we headed over to David's, Neil's business partner, to meet Neil Morris.
    David was waiting for us on his front steps and told us to head upstairs to meet Neil.
    We had to put our bags down.

Neil had the 10 most recent Vault scents on display plus seven new scents to be added to the Vault. I think we were the first people to get a chance to sniff these. here is what the sniffing looked like.

We may have started out with 17 testers but like a magician pulling a chain of neverending scarves Neil and David kept producing more and more as we were exclaiming over other scents. By the time we were done there was a litter of testing strips and testers.

Neil's perfumes just hit me in the right place and it is so funny I walked into the meeting telling myself that I was buying Burnt Amber and something else "to be determined". Then i smelled his new Regal Amber and was completely torn between the two. Thankfully ComDiva who shares my adoration of all things amber had a solution. I would buy Regal Amber and split it and we would split her bottle of Burnt Amber this way we could both scratch our amber itch. Then I had to make a decision on another one. since they were offering us 15% off I couldn't stop at just one, could I?
    In the end I settled on Red Sky I have really enjoyed Neil's Earthtones Series and Redneck_Perfumisto has waxed rhapsodiacally about this one and he is right. Red Sky is a day outdoors in red rocks country on a clear blue sky where you can smell the wind and the earth.
    Now that I was done with my purchases it was time for me to enable the other members of the group by telling them how good they smelled in the things they were wearing.
    If I was going down I wasn't going by myself darn it.
    Unfortunately it all had to end as our orders were placed, our champagne was drunk and we finally had exhausted every last sensory input in our poor noses.
    All that was left was to say thank you to David and Neil hug each other and head home.
    One last thing, now with pictorial evidence. As I go about my time in Boston I have been mistaken for Neil four times. The most recent time was earlier in the afternoon when we were at the Guerlain counter in Sak's and a young woman came up and told me she had met me and heard me talking about my perfumes. I smiled and told her that I am not who you think I am. I am not Neil Morris. Despite being aware of each other for the past eighteen months this is the first time we've actually met. So I ask you dear reader are we twin sons of different mothers?

Finally, here is the glory shot of the day's booty for me

I love the picture !

It was a lovely day...
    So good to be w/ other BNers -
    And all the SA's , who are truly old friends [ some of us go back 30 years and more ;-) ]

Brielle- you were SORELY MISSED, honey.
    Hope your sweet DH is on the mend...

Mary Line Patry is an old friend- very knowledgeable and gracious- some of you know her from NYC.

I am in love w/ Ms. Pomander and Lefay !
    Such marvellous ladies ! Chic and funny, so accomplished....
    Sister Com Diva is always like 'being home' ; her warmth and goodness radiate.

I enjoyed making Neverland blush- he's a real cutie-
    And finding subtle , discreet scents for him to explore ;-)

Jarvis- known to some at jtcomboy or jtcinboston-
    Joined us later, as he had to teach that am.
    I adore his snuggly, gentle mien combined w/ tons of knowledge , and fierce intellect !

Neil and David were a delight, as usual.
    It was fun to watch everyone explore many of his line that folks revisited, or newly discovered.

Poodlegirl worked at Barney's when it first opened in Boston-
    A delightful little goddess of a woman.
    I've missed her- hadn't seen her for at least 2 years ;-)

I practiced restraint, myself.
    [No other choice, these days !]
    A small Samsara edp and the only Arpege extrait they had [ buried away in the back].

Thank you Mark, Neil, David-
    And all our SA friends for making this a memorable day !

Blog Entries

Your day sounds wonderful! When next I'm back in Boston and have an afternoon to spare, I will definitely let you all know!

I particularly love the big pile of treasure bags photo!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Institution

I am really enjoying reading the reports of all the various meet ups ! Wonderful !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

What a fantastic day our Boston Basenoters Meet-Up was!!!

SMM - you take the cake for organizing and facilitating this great event! It was wonderful, and thank you for being a most charming, fun, WARM and gracious host/ring leader of the day.

I loved meeting the sexy, healing, gorgeous earth-mother that is Chayaruchama, the effervescent, red-haired, beautiful lass ComDiva, the handsome, deep, and serene gentleman nvrlnd, the irresistable, adorable, fashionable poodlegirl, and the warm, sophisticated, intelligent knock-out Lefay. What a great group!

Through the talented Mary Line Patry (US head of Guerlain cometics) I was fortunate enough to find a most beautiful floral-chypre. Mary, matched this scent to my coloring, one of her talents as SMM mentioned above. I don't know if it's so much a match to a person's coloring as it is her keen sense of a person's 'being" that makes her so successful at it. She was wonderful.

All of the SA'a were gracious and generous, and seemed to get a kick out of our collective fragrance exuberance!

How could one have a better day, than this: sipping champagne, inhaling sensuous fragrances, receiving specially-prepared goody-bags, and the best part, meeting, laughing with, hugging and connecting with Basenoters...truly a great event.

Pomander
    Last edited by pomander; 31st August 2009 at 04:57 AM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

God, that looks like an amazing day! We have to keep doing this, it's the best fun! :-)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Blog Entries

What an awesome report. Thanks so much. I am still totally LOL about our new "separated at birth" scent brothers, SMM and NM! I know it's just the birthday paradox, but you really have to just love the fact that two of the tiny subset of "passionate noses" on this planet happen to look that much alike - and one is a huge fan of the other's scents!

Interesting that Boisé Torride is better on skin than paper - looks like my test list for Guerlain will have to be re-started.

And I just love how SMM fell for Red Sky, too! There are few scents that have had such a powerful, visceral effect on me. I'm really looking forward to your analysis of the scent, SMM. I'll say no more!

What a great day. No longer jealous, I'm happy and hopeful. The first thing I'm doing now is voting for the next date, so that at least one of these BN parties can become a reality next year.

Thanks for all of your reports, people. That's one of the neat things here - seeing it through several people's eyes. Very nice.

What a lovely day and a lovely report! And the day sounds beautifully planned too--kudos!

Yes, SMM, there's definitely a separated-at-birth thing going on with you and NM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Morning Star

That looks like a fun day. I've been going to Boston more frequently lately. I should hook up with you folks sometime.

Oh, this sounded like fun! My husband wants to see Fenway Park, while it is still there. I can see a two-fer coming on after I retire next year...

Love the priceless photo of you SMM, with Neil Morris. Oh so huggable-looking, the two of you!

And SEVEN new vault fragrances. I'm seething with anticipatory delight, and just a bit of envy.

I would also like, particularly, to smell and trade notes with you, ComDiva, because I keep noticing some overlapping taste and I know I'd learn a lot from you!

Thank you all for making a newcomer feel welcome. It was a sensually and emotionally satisfying day -- thanks particularly to SMM, Neil and David. I look forward to future gatherings. Fragrant dreams, everyone.

Lefay

Loved reading and looking at the pics! Yes, SMM, there's just a wee resemblance - both handsome with gorgeous smiles. Thanks so much for sharing, guys! Looks like you had a great time.

David took some pictures of the group with Neil Morris including one of the group as a whole:

The group is in order from l. to r.: pomander, Lefay, Somerville Metro Man, Neil Morris, jarvis, ComDiva, chayaruchama

One final picture of most of us sniffing:

nvrland should have some pictures of us from the first part of the day and hopefully he will post them.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 31st August 2009 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    That looks like a fun day. I've been going to Boston more frequently lately. I should hook up with you folks sometime.
    You know how to find me plus I think you visit MIT and that means you're shouting distance from work so we could definitely squeeze in an after-work rendezvous.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Oh, this sounded like fun! My husband wants to see Fenway Park, while it is still there. I can see a two-fer coming on after I retire next year...

Love the priceless photo of you SMM, with Neil Morris. Oh so huggable-looking, the two of you!

And SEVEN new vault fragrances. I'm seething with anticipatory delight, and just a bit of envy.

I would also like, particularly, to smell and trade notes with you, ComDiva, because I keep noticing some overlapping taste and I know I'd learn a lot from you!
    If it will get you to come. I'll take care of getting the tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    If it will get you to come. I'll take care of getting the tickets.
    That is the sweetest offer! I will remember!!! XOXO

Oh, what a fun group!
    I love the pics. It must have been very special visiting with NM
    Thanks for sharing.
    Evenstar

I love the new photos (and the "Brothers Morris"... )!

Who'd have thought that my original post of "hey, anyone wanna come to London for a day to tour perfumeries with me?" would first be hijacked by Grant (so it became the BN annual), then by SMM (who came up with "let's make the annual worldwide"), then by the whole community (who stepped up and organised all these!) and turn into THIS?! I am so, so, unbelievably chuffed!

You Boston Basenoters KNOW how to have some fun! Nice pictures. It sounds like a wonderful day.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the amazing reports and photos! It's so great to see your smiling faces. I especially love the one of you all together with Neil.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Gosh those photos are great! You Boston-ers look supreme, gorgeous in fact! I'd love to squeeze you all...and who knew SMM and NM were look alikes?! Crazy. Thanks for joining in, and sharing the fun!

looks like fun! Hope I can make it if you do it next year!

My fellow Boston Basenoters, thank you so much for sharing your detailed & interesting accounts of the meet-up. I feel as though I was there right along with you...wish I was....I always seem to miss these things. Hopefully I'll catch the next one.

Love the pics...Just have to say, the Boston group are a bunch of hotties!

Finally got my pics into the computer, sorry for the delay!

Had a fantastic time, met some fantastic people, and found some fantastic smells! Looking forward to the next event...
    Attached Images Attached Images

To my dear Basenoters, in Boston and everywhere!

David & I had a wonderful time with you and want to thank you all for your kindness and support over the years. Fragrance is really about connecting with each other and sharing our love for scents. I'm never happier than when I'm introducing my perfumes to fragrance lovers and the group on Saturday was exceptional in every way. I love seeing dear friends Chaya, Catherine and Jarvis and meeting wonderful new friends Lisa, Josephine and my long-lost "twin" SMM!!

Warm Hugs and Fragrant Dreams to all!

Neil

P.S. - Nothing would make me happier than to meet more of you!! Come to Boston!!!!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Notice how comfortable these semi-strangers are in cuddling up close for a photo? That says everything. While the Bros. Morris, as Pia put it, are both scrumptious, I think standing close to Neil might hurt my neck, but I'd be feeling no pains close to SMM.

Ubu and I talked about doing the next Boston get-together together. Don't know if that will manifest, but you kids should know we're attracted to all you offer.

Dear Quarry - To your first point - due to the champagne, we were leaning on each other to keep from falling down. Just kidding! I think we experienced a true affinity with each other.

I would ...LOVE to meet you and Ubu. Please come to Boston !!!
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pomander View Post
    Please come to Boston !!!
    I'm hearing Dave Loggins

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Notice how comfortable these semi-strangers are in cuddling up close for a photo? That says everything. While the Bros. Morris, as Pia put it, are both scrumptious, I think standing close to Neil might hurt my neck, but I'd be feeling no pains close to SMM.

Ubu and I talked about doing the next Boston get-together together. Don't know if that will manifest, but you kids should know we're attracted to all you offer.
    You know if you come here the two of us, who share so many obsessions, are going to get into sooooo much trouble.
    That's supposed to be a good thing.

FYI: I've already checked flights and hotels for next year. I'm seriously considering Boston for me & hubby. He's always wanted to visit USA (never been) and I really would just adore to meet our Boston group and Neil Morris. Perhaps we could lure more people to Boston...?

I am pretty sure Neil would love to hold court with a number of Basenoters and we could definitely do that, I think, with enough lead time. I know the stores would love a bigger group and seemed up for it this time.
    The more lead time we have the more I think we can accomplish.
    I'm just envisioning being in the same place with my two geek perfume goddesses Nukapai and Quarry. I might even try and schedule an evening showing of Serenity and Dr. Horrible for the group.
    Wouldn't that be special?

I want to be in a Brothers Morris-Quarry-Nuka-Chaya-sandwich! (not in a lewd way, I hasten to add, but snuggled in a group photo ).

That would be so, so special
    Last edited by Nukapai; 3rd September 2009 at 07:37 PM.

And WE want to sandwich YOU, Petitska ! ;-)

Hi, everyone!!!

I'm just home from a wonderful and relaxing family vacation to Ontario and then NYC (no sniffing! ), so am late to the party once again... But after the FABULOUS Basenotes get-together SMM put together, around which I built said family vacation, I'm feeling delighted and content, and am reveling in how fabulous all our Iocal BNers are. I saved my pennies for nearly a year, and spent every single dime and then some on bottles (and a couple of splits, THANK YOU, SMM and Pomander!!!!) I've had my eye on for ages, and a couple of unexpected impulse purchases.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the day, the people, the comraderie, and the fragrances! Yay yay yay...

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post

Sweetie, PM me and we'll get you set up. Any time!

Quote Originally Posted by nukapai
    I want to be in a Brothers Morris-Quarry-Nuka-Chaya-sandwich! (not in a lewd way, I hasten to add, but snuggled in a group photo ).
    Me too, me too!!! If you look in the picture, that's pretty much exactly where I am. Just insert yourself and Quarry, and we'll be good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by somervillemetroman
    I'm just envisioning being in the same place with my two geek perfume goddesses Nukapai and Quarry. I might even try and schedule an evening showing of Serenity and Dr. Horrible for the group.
    Wouldn't that be special?
    I'll bring popcorn, ebony-and-ivory mousse cake, and champagne.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 5th September 2009 at 07:27 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Hi, everyone!!!

I'm just home from a wonderful and relaxing family vacation to Ontario and then NYC (no sniffing! ), so am late to the party once again... But after the FABULOUS Basenotes get-together SMM put together, around which I built said family vacation, I'm feeling delighted and content, and am reveling in how fabulous all our Iocal BNers are. I saved my pennies for nearly a year, and spent every single dime and then some on bottles (and a couple of splits, THANK YOU, SMM and Pomander!!!!) I've had my eye on for ages, and a couple of unexpected impulse purchases.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the day, the people, the comraderie, and the fragrances! Yay yay yay...
    ComDiva - So glad you had a wonderrful vacation! I wanted to thank you as well for letting me in on the split...I've been living on the last few drops of a d****t, and this came just in time!

Let me know if the beachroses still beckon you...