Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Always been curious: formula for Dragon's Blood?

I have been looking for the formula for it and that is when I discovered the "other" Dragon's Blood. It is not the same as the one I bought for 20 years in Portland at the Escential Lotions & Oil store.

I do have a small drop of it left, can it be analyzed somewhere to find out what ingredients are in it? If so where would I have that done?

Basenotes Plus

you can send it to Perfumers Apprentice:
    https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com...s-by-gcms.aspx
    $200
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Helyun View Post
    I have been looking for the formula for it and that is when I discovered the "other" Dragon's Blood. It is not the same as the one I bought for 20 years in Portland at the Escential Lotions & Oil store.
    Their supplier was Liberty Natural Products, though they may have had a second supplier for that blend.

I have a bottle of Dragon's Blood - it is a liquid resinoid from Daemonorops draco, and it smells like a more earthy, dirty variant of benzoin. Sweet, resiny, incensy, vanilla-ish, with strong earthy notes, just like the incense. I'd expect you could make a good approximation of it with (Sumatran) benzoin with a dash of vetiver and/or patchouli. I doubt hippie fragrance manufacturers would be using expensive or hard-to-obtain ingredients for head-shop oils, so that's probably close to what gets sold as 'Dragon's Blood' fragrance oils.

Quote Originally Posted by janmeut View Post
    As far as I know is "dragons blood" a fantasy name, it smells like the perfumer that makes it wants it to smell. So when you purchase it from different suppliers you probably get very different fragrances.
    Beside the herb mentioned is dragonsblood the name of several red resins, some of them have some smell others are not fragrant at all.
    It's not actually a fragrance. It's not made from oil or anything else like that. It's essentially sap or something else excreted from a plant that eventually hardens likes app and that is the resin that used. There are several trees from I do believe Madagascar or at least that area that produce this. Depending on the variety you get depends on the type of smell but it is a naturally occurring substance. Any liquid fragrance that you get is actually a blend so it's artificial.

Based on its 'Viewed' stat this is one of our most-read threads despite being both old and short. Evidently people are searching for information about 'dragon's blood' and landing here. For their benefit, here's my attempt at a clear summary:

a) There are several dark red tree resins called 'dragon's blood' that are sold as resin incense. The main options are Dracaena cinnabari sap from Yemen (orangey-red), Dracaena draco sap from the Canary Islands or Indonesia (winey-red), or Daemonorops/Calamus palm fruit resin from India (brownish-red). They vary by texture and smokiness but all smell mildly balsamic, sometimes with an earthy-woody-patchouli nuance, sometimes with an acrid-fruity-piney nuance.

If you see references to the resin in old books it's more likely to mean Dracaena, and if you bought resin chunks at an occult shop more recently than 1970 it's more likely Daemonorops. One of the tests is that Dracaena is allegedly easily soluble in perfumer's alcohol and Daemonorops is not. I'm preparing to tincture samples of both and will edit this post once the results are in.

b) The above-mentioned resins are expensive and don't blend well into oil, so if you bought a scented oil it's probably a 'house blend' of other substances. Typical notes include patchouli, vanilla, jasmine or rose, citrus and cinnamon/cloves.

E.g. 1: I have access to the formulary book for a now-defunct Montreal occult shop that blended its own oils. Their "Dragon's Blood Oil" formula calls for equal parts patchouli oil, lemon oil and cinnamon oil.

E.g. 2: Look at the SDS for the "Dragon's Blood" fragrance oil sold through Perfumer's Apprentice for a typical example: it contains vertenex (woody); vanillin, ethyl vanillin and coumarin (vanilla); citronellol, linalyl acetate and linalool (citrusy-floral); cinnamaldehyde, a-methyl cinnamaldehyde, clove leaf oil and cinnamon leaf oil (spicy).

c) If you bought powder or stick incense it might be:

-powdered Dracaena or Daemonorops resin blended with wood powder to stretch it and help it burn, e.g.: one part dragon's blood resin, one part cloves, and four parts red cedarwood [reference];

-other resins blended with red wood powder as 'Poor Man's Dragon's Blood' e.g. equal parts red sandalwood (Pterocarpus) and frankincense [reference];

-or one of the above oil formulae stirred into wood powder.

Basenotes Member

I might get dragons coming after me but nontheless I got a serumy, residious result, somewhat reminiscent of blood but with a sparkle de parfum by layering "1 Million" and "Stronger with You" originally out of curiosity.