Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Talking San Francisco Meet-Up

Hi all,

It's late and I'm finally home after a very long, hot, fun day of shopping with some great new Basenotes friends!

PaulSC, ROtto, an_oud_girl, Kess, JaimeB, enorena, ooofireballooo, some poor guy trying to walk around us, and my friend Julia with the Diptyque bag (fig candle - mmmmmm...)

We met at the Diptyque boutique (say that five times fast!) to drool over candles and the big table of scents. After quick peeks in Hermes and Prada (who didn't have most of their scents out ) we terrorized the Chanel boutique and the table of exclusifs. I personally find a lot of the Chanels baffling in their complexity, but JaimeB has an amazing nose and was able to explain the unusual notes they were using in a way that they actually made them make sense.

Then, it was off to Saks Fifth Avenue (where we were joined by JitterpigJen), where we attacked the Tom Ford Private Collection. Noir de Noir seemed to be the favorite, but with Italian Cypress and Oud Wood gaining some fans. We also smelled the new-this-week Dolce & Gabanna Rose The One (nice grapefruit over rose - like a fruity floral designer take on Hermes Pamplemousse Rose. Nothing earth-shattering, but fun). After perusing the Bonds, it seemed like almost everyone ended up arm-testing the upcoming By Kilian Back To Black - which was masculine tobacco on some of us, and deep honey on others - I think I see an official San Francisco basenotes lemming coming on...

Then it was off to lunch in the park, which was great on an unusually warm day.

Me, Kess, and ROtto (and his brand new Oyedo!)

PaulSC, his Saks bag with his new By Kilian(!), JaimeB's back (he sprung for a Kilian, too!), and enorena.

Then, we were off to Parfumerie Jacqueline, where the ladies tested the Dali's while the men focused on masculine classics, including the quite rare Regence line (Oak Moss and Santal seemed to be the favorites). Many purchases were made, including my purchase of the day, Molinard Homme I. There were a few too many of us for the owner to keep up, but everyone seemed pretty happy just to be surrounded by so many fragrances you just don't see every day, as well as a brilliant collection of classic atomizers.

Jacqueline's window of giant bottles

Then, we made our way to Barneys. Some of us sniffed and discussed the L'Artisans (It was Fireball's first experience with the line, and we all got to relive through him the joys of our first sniffs of Tea For Two, one of his favorites). Others made a beeline to the Lutens (a couple of purchases were made!). We were chided for taking photos in the Malle boutique, but really, don't they know who we are?!? We tested the new Byredo Blanche (white floral, of course) and JitterpigJen fell in love with the line (Bal d'Afrique smelled great on her, by the way). We also checked out the new Parfums Delrae Mythique, which seemed to intrigue JaimeB, who helped me through the line. Sample bags in tow (thanks Barneys!), we headed off.

Neiman Marcus was our last official stop. We went through the Jo Malone line, which seemed to impress even some of the skeptics. Downstairs in the mens department, we continued to smell up a storm. The Creed counter was interesting - we seem to be a prefer-the-old-Creeds crowd, but our SA was out sick and had hidden our sample bags . The other SA's searched wildly but couldn't locate them, but thanks for trying! The Guerlain counter was fun. Much Jicky extrait was sprayed, and it was determined that almost everyone there was a fan Bois d'Armenie. PaulSC bought a Cologne du 68, and we moved over to their Tom Ford counter to resniff peoples' favorites from the morning.

We lost JaimeB and enorena, and the rest of us went to a Vietnamese dinner to compare notes over papaya salad.

PaulSC, ROtto, an_oud_girl, ooofireballooo, Kess, me, and JitterpigJen

an_oud_girl making me a sample of her brand new Fumerie Turque!

Our haul, not including about 20 pounds of free samples, traded decants, and the 50 or 60 things JaimeB bought

After dinner, a few of us wandered over to L'Ocitane en Provance, where we sniffed some nice ones and JitterpigJen picked up a fun Bergamot Tea solid perfume. Then we popped up to Nordstom to see if they had anything fun. We enjoyed sniffing the AMen Pure Malt. After losing ROtto and JitterpigJen, who both had serious drives home, OudGirl, Filreball and I couldn't resist stopping by Sephora, where I attempted to sell them on the brilliant fizzy lemon/lime ginger ale of L'Eau Par Kenzo pour Homme.

Exhausted after a 9-hour sniffing marathon, we parted ways, thus ending a beautiful day of international Basenotes sniffing solidarity!

Everyone was really great, the SA's loved us, and we got to have fun smelling some incredible stuff. So many thanks to everyone for coming, the stores for their patience and generosity, and Basenotes for being such a nice community where it's possible for so many great people to come together!
    Last edited by rogalal; 1st September 2009 at 04:02 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: San Francisco Meet-Up

Allen,

Cool post, and the pics are great. Too bad I forgot to bring a camera! My post is on the Men's Fragrance Discussion board here, but you know that!

The most wonderful part of today for me was meeting all of you, and basking in the glow of non-stop perfume talk!

Long live Basenotes!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

What a great report and brilliant pictures! Right; it's settled. Next time we're doing a BN annual, you'll have to be in our group Rogalal!

(Also: Kess & Oud Girl = gorgeous!).
    (ALSO = I want to pinch your Fumerie Turque and Cologne 68 and Oyedo...).

Blog Entries

Smile Re: San Francisco Meet-Up

Wow! Sounds like everyone gave their noses a good workout in The City by the Bay. To me San Francisco has always been the Paris of the West. Anyway glad to see everyone had a wonderful time. The pictures and narrative made it an enjoyable read. Good work Base Noters.

Blog Entries

Here a pic of my haul (doesn't include swappage among us BNers, which was super swell too!):

I also came home with a vial sample that I didn't label and don't remember what it is!

Will post pics of folks tomorrow when everyone has given their okay. I'm soooo tired and going to bed!

edit: I remembered-- it's a sample of Jo Malone Red Roses that the SA made for me. I did manage to label all the ones I made for myself (just Sycamore, Bel Ami, and Halston Woman ). I had to get out of bed and write it down before I forget again!

Also, the Tom Ford box that Josie at NM gave out with the large vials stuffed in them-- one was labeled Champaca (not a TF pre-made label either, but a white label), and the other wasn't labeled. It smells like it's probably Moss Breches, or possibly Italian Cypress. Anyone know for sure?
    Last edited by Heartwood; 30th August 2009 at 08:34 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Wow, what an action-packed day! And such an impressive haul of purchases for the size of the group! The food stops also sounded a great way to discuss impressions and do instant decants. Lovely pic of an_oud_girl in action - those little vials capture our hobby in one great image...

I woke up feeling as though I had just about recovered from Friday, but having read about your mara-sniff-athon, I think I may need to lie down again...! : - )
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I want to do it again! How much fun did you guys have?!

Dependent

Thanks for sharing rogalal! I really enjoyed reading it and seeing the pics!

Great write-up and great PIX! So nice to see faces for the names. Everyone looks like they are having a marvelous time.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Everyone looks like they are having a marvelous time.
    Absolutely! It was a memorable day.

@ an_oud_girl: Could your unlabelled Tom Ford be Arabian Wood? I received a box with two mini screw-top samples, and they were Champaca Absolute and Arabian Wood (both labelled).
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

What a fab looking group of BNers! Is that Enorena from Make Up Alley?? Wow!!

Great hauls, you all must have been collectively smelling wonderful

Oud girl, you gorgeous thing, how did you like the Chanel Exclusifs? So curious to hear about Halston Woman as well.

Thank you for sharing guys, it looks like it was so much fun.

Edit: oofireballoo! There you are with your fab red hair! What did you get?? Looks like such fun
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 30th August 2009 at 09:53 PM.

SO envious - but happy for you guys. Looks like you had a splendiferous time - and of course it's great to put faces to our members - even non-members! many thanks to Rogalal for the report.

I was especially happy for the pic of Jacqueline's store front - had a GREAT phone conversation with Andre there when I ordered my Kolnische Jugsten. That's one shop I would RULLY love to visit.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

So here's the few pics that I took, all but the last one at Jacqueline:

The supremely knowledgeable JaimeB and our fantabulous organizer rogalal:

Winsome kess and JitterpigJen:

Kess sniffs as rogalal looks on (the fellow at Jacqueline had the convenient habit of bending the end of the scent strip so it would be easy for us to pick up off the counter):

ooofireball and PaulSC discuss:

PaulSC is trying to "streamline" his collection these days. Did we help with that, Paul?

ROtto, kess, JitterpigJen, ooofireballooo:

Finally, ooofireballooo, rogalal, and his friend Julia before the very lovely back wall of the Barney's basement (Barney's has more niche than you can shake a mouillette at! Plus, rogalal arranged for them to give us little treasure-filled goodie bags to take home!):

We otherwise kept forgetting to take pictures. We'd leave SFA and say, "Oops!" Then NM, "Oops!" Our noses were just too busy!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 31st August 2009 at 12:17 AM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    PaulSC is trying to "streamline" his collection these days. Did we help with that, Paul?
    You're all a bunch of enablers, that's what you are! But that's okay. Streamlining = Ying, Hoarding = Yang, and my life is in perfect balance.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Basenotes Institution

I really enjoyed the lovely pics and the reports. Fabulous- my - look at all the perfume ! You put a smile on my face this Sunday morning -thank you !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 30th August 2009 at 04:51 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

First, I need to say something about the incredibly kind and knowledgeable SAs we met yesterday. The stand outs, of course, were Christopher at SFA, Josie at NM, and Christina at Barney's. But I also had wonderful conversations with the Jo Malone fellow at SFA (I sniffed Vanilla & Anise here first before the rest of you later at NM! ); the SA for the new Halstons at NM (I especially dig the men's bottle, even if the concept is a total rip off of Narciso Rodriguez Essence); a very helpful and patient woman late in the evening at Nordstrom ("May I have a sample of Grey Vetiver? I won't trouble you one bit, I promise! I can make it myself... oops, do you have a label?"); and the very fun, very knowledgeable fellow who walked us thru the Jo Malone line at NM and created layering ideas for us. Also, the SA who took me thru some Serge Lutens at Barney's put together an amazing layering combination for me-- Clair de Musc and Vetiver Oriental! I find these so-so on their own, but the synergy between these two together might be a HG for me! And thanks also to the Barney's SA who demonstrated the Frederic Malle booths. Those things really work! I now totally want to make a Monclin.

Also, much thanks to ooofireballooo for bringing up Bel Ami. It was love at first sniff and I'm so happy that the NM SA downstairs in the men's department let me make a sample.

And I'm so glad rogalal pointed out the Cire Trudon "moon" candle at Barney's. Weird smelling stuff, for sure, yet hard to put down!

You all might know that I'm not a big fan of anise, and I'm kind of twitchy about vanilla. But Jo Malone has worked another bit of magic here and made me not completely dislike something that by definition I really should. (Her other surprise hit for me is Jasmine & Mint).

We also tried the Tom Ford Musk series at Neiman Marcus. All of you in other Meet-Up threads seem to be loving Urban Musk, but I really enjoyed the Musk Pure. This was the end of the day, however, after about 6 or 7 hours of sniffing, and my nose by then felt pretty

What a day!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 31st August 2009 at 12:21 AM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Dependent

Nice pics AOG, it is certainly nice to see the faces and know all had a great time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    @ an_oud_girl: Could your unlabelled Tom Ford be Arabian Wood? I received a box with two mini screw-top samples, and they were Champaca Absolute and Arabian Wood (both labelled).
    Paul, this is definitely mossy and green, even a little bit soapy. You got Arabian Wood? I'm a little jealous! I might have to go back there today!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    You're all a bunch of enablers, that's what you are! But that's okay. Streamlining = Ying, Hoarding = Yang, and my life is in perfect balance.

edit: Actually, I think your right about the Arabian Wood, Paul. I just read a review at Pere De Pierre that mentions among the notes galbanum and oak moss, and says it starts with a "big blast of bitter green galbanum" and dries down to "a spicy-soapy accord." Thanks!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 30th August 2009 at 05:58 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I am so glad I went, even though I had never posted on BN (only MUA). Everyone that I met was so friendly and knowledgeable! I learned so much and enjoyed sniffing with everyone. It's nice to know that there are people so close that I can take with me to go sniffing now. Thanks Allen for organizing it, and to everyone else for being such great company! The Vietnamese dinner looks like a lot of fun, and I'm sorry to have missed it, but family obligations were beckoning.

As far as sniffage, I think that I was most impressed by Killlan Back to Black, and I may finally have to get past my (irrational) avoidance of Killian and spring for a bottle. as someone mentioned, it's very much like TF Tobacco Vanille without the Vanille. I wish I had been there for the Guerlain part, too. I am glad to see there are other great fans of BdA - one of my favorite Guerlains, which had sprayed right before leaving and got to enjoy the whole way home.

Let's do it again soon!

Looks as if you all had such a wonderful day. I enjoyed all of the photos, nice to see BNer's in their element. The Vietnamese restaurant sounds like such a fabulous way to top off a fabulous day.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

(Barney's has more niche than you can shake a mouillette at! Plus, rogalal arranged for them to give us little treasure-filled goodie bags to take home!):

That's a good line there, Oud: More than you can shake a mouillette at!
    The backwall from this photo looks just like the Barney's we visited except ours had more fluted vases, one of which matched one of Ubu's mom's.

Such terrific photos !
    I'm so happy to see you having a blast !

Suh-weet! Wish I could have been in two places at the same time. I know where I'm going next time I'm in San Francisco.

Rogalal, sounds like you did a stellar job planning.

O.K., must hear more about Mythique (Delrae is my favorite line). . . .
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Morning Star

I keep forgetting what an incredibly fun place San Francisco is. And I love how the "poor guy trying to walk around" you found his 15 seconds of fame in a forum he'll probably never read. :bounce:

Yes, Rogalal, sounds like your great planning paid off!

It's good to hear that the SF and LA get-togethers worked out well. I'm only three hours from SF, so I'm REALLY going to try to make it if we have one there next year.

One idea to consider, my fellow Caleeefornians... What do you think about doing just one bigger meet-up next year, in SF OR LA? And perhaps with advance planning, our neighbors in other Western states could plan to come. Maybe could attract the likes of Leesee, ChantillyLace, Sunnyfunny, DocmanCC, Aiona, lightgreen22, noirwest, Buzzlepuff, tvlampboy, Twolf, danho, LiveJazz, kumquat, purplebird, Redneck Perfumisto, CologneJunkie, shadesofbleu, RainDropSparkle, and others. Hey -- and maybe even our friends in British Columbia and Northern Mexico!

I'm jealous of these meetings, lol. Is there any planned for Pennsylvania ?? I know SirSlarity and I aren't THAT far apart so that could be two of us..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    One idea to consider, my fellow Caleeefornians... What do you think about doing just one bigger meet-up next year, in SF OR LA?
    I'd say keep both SF and LA, and pick between the two. And I'd even consider adding Las Vegas (heck, I'd love to go back to Vegas for a weekend sniffing event!). The ten of us made for quite a large party. I really have to commend the great job the SAs in the large department stores did in making sure all of us were attended to. It was almost apparent how nearly overwhelmed they were by us enthusiasts, but they definitely made us all feel welcome. It helped that at times we would break off into smaller groups to focus on a particular house, and the SA at that counter needed to juggle only 3 or 5 of us at a time. The SAs at the Prada and Chanel boutiques seemed content to just let us grab, spray, sniff, and gab as they stood well back and out of the way. I was a little late and missed Diptyque, but I know that while their SAs are attentive and helpful, the store is very, very tiny. Ditto Hermes.

I definitely vote for doing it all again next year! rogalal couldn't have done a more fantastic job forewarning the SAs and creating our itinerary. The group could possibly have accommodated a few more members, but I really think three groups of 8 to 12 would be a far better experience for everyone than one huge group of 25 to 40.

edit: 1280adam, when discussion for making the London BN Meet-Up an international event first began in early April, one gallant person in each region stepped forward to be the point of contact. I was surprised a good number of people hadn't noticed that most of the organizing was done via a regional thread in the Basenotes Worldwide Meet-Up Weekend 2009 Social Group. I guess even with the sticky threads, and organizers including promotional links in their sigs, word didn't spread quite as well as it might have throughout the BN community. Next year we'll have to find a way to make the events even better publicized, but I think our inauguration was smash hit!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 31st August 2009 at 05:03 AM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

It was truly a great day! I agree that the size of the group was just about perfect for the participants, but maybe a bit much for the SAs. At Jacqueline, André (all alone and trying to keep an eye on a suspicious character) seemed the most belabored of all. I have to say, that's where I dropped the biggest chunk of change; when I got home and checked my receipt, I found he had not only thrown in the atomizer for free (as he said he would), but he also forgot to charge me for the shower gel I got! I'll have to go back this week and make that up to him!

I'm sorry I had to bow out early, too. Dinner and the L'Occitane and Nordstrom visits sound like they were a lot of fun. Russ and I ended up going to dinner at a French restaurant near home to celebrate his successful negotiation with an art agent to place his ceramic sculpture pieces at an upscale restaurant in Marin county. He had some halibut, and I had a confite duck leg with lentils. When we got home, I made him a Sidecar for further celebration, but I didn't feel up to straight alcohol...

This Meet-up was a great idea, and I think it's the first time I've ever been fragrance shopping with more than one other person. The camaraderie was marvelous, the nearly non-stop fragrance talk (interspersed with bits of getting-to-know-you stuff) was really great, and best of all, for me, was getting to put live people with screen names.

Definitely, let's do it again. I don't know if I can wait a whole year!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 31st August 2009 at 04:44 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Great pics and great sniffathon reports! Thanks so much for sharing your day. I enjoyed that.

Morning Star

I'd say keep both SF and LA, and pick between the two.
    I agree. I also think it might be a generally good policy to spread the different meet-ups out across different weekends, to accommodate people who might want to do both. San Francisco and Los Angeles are relatively close cities, especially with very frequent shuttle service being offered by a wide range of airlines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    When we got home, I made him a Sidecar for further celebration, but I didn't feel up to straight alcohol...
    Congratulations to Russ! When I got home, my DH said, "You look like you need a strawberry margarita!" We had infused several pints of strawberries into a bottle of white tequila a couple of weeks ago, and earlier in the evening he decided it was ready to strain and drink! We married well, didn't we?!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Congrats on a great day and thanks for all the terrific writing and pics! San Francisco is one town in the US I would love to visit - I get the impression it's a bit like my two home towns Hong Kong (27 years, now) & Wellington, NZ (26 before that) - beautiful harbour with lots of hills to climb up and down to keep you fit - and clearly way too much good stuff on offer in the shops and restaurants. It's great to put faces to the names, huh?

I'd say keep both SF and LA, and pick between the two. And I'd even consider adding Las Vegas (heck, I'd love to go back to Vegas for a weekend sniffing event!). The ten of us made for quite a large party. I really have to commend the great job the SAs in the large department stores did in making sure all of us were attended to. It was almost apparent how nearly overwhelmed they were by us enthusiasts, but they definitely made us all feel welcome. It helped that at times we would break off into smaller groups to focus on a particular house, and the SA at that counter needed to juggle only 3 or 5 of us at a time. The SAs at the Prada and Chanel boutiques seemed content to just let us grab, spray, sniff, and gab as they stood well back and out of the way. I was a little late and missed Diptyque, but I know that while their SAs are attentive and helpful, the store is very, very tiny. Ditto Hermes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I agree. I also think it might be a generally good policy to spread the different meet-ups out across different weekends, to accommodate people who might want to do both. San Francisco and Los Angeles are relatively close cities, especially with very frequent shuttle service being offered by a wide range of airlines.
    I see what you are saying about group size. My enthusiasm got the best of me - it would be fun to meet everyone all at once! Perhaps different weekends, as Astaroth suggests. It would be REALLY cool if we could do a convention at a hotel and have all the perfume come to us, she said wistfully...

P.S. Oud Girl, Redneck Perfumista posted a list of some of the boutiques/shops in Vegas. I'm going to start me a list. Which ones have you been to?
    Last edited by Haunani; 31st August 2009 at 01:26 AM.

After visiting the assorted "Meet Up" threads I'm struck by the photos and stories, and how they seem to illustrate the mood or personality of each locations' event! Great fun, I hope more basenoters will be able to participate in the future.

I'm loving these meetup threads. Something about seeing the Basenotes community make these tangible connections with each other offscreen is exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I was just thinking something similar for the Midwest area... If Kansas City & Chicago were on different weekends, I could probably talk myself into going to BOTH.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Redneck Perfumista posted a list of some of the boutiques/shops in Vegas. I'm going to start me a list. Which ones have you been to?
    This past April, I met an old friend there to hang out and have fun. He's not into fragrance, but I did manage to get in a little sniffing in a few boutiques at The Bellagio-- the Les Exclusifs at Chanel, Hermes' full line, Prada. Tiffany's even had theirs available once I tore myself away from all the shiny, sparkly things. I've heard from an SF Guerlain SA at NM that there's a big Guerlain boutique there, but I didn't find it at either The Bellagio or the shops at Caesar's Palace. I guess I just need to go back!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

This is great!
    It looks like everybody had a very good time. I know we did here in the southern part of the State.
    I had to take a mini vacation from perfume today, but I am enjoying looking at my samples and thinking about what to try tomorrow.
    Evenstar

This past April, I met an old friend there to hang out and have fun. He's not into fragrance, but I did manage to get in a little sniffing in a few boutiques at The Bellagio-- the Les Exclusifs at Chanel, Hermes' full line, Prada. Tiffany's even had theirs available once I tore myself away from all the shiny, sparkly things. I've heard from an SF Guerlain SA at NM that there's a big Guerlain boutique there, but I didn't find it at either The Bellagio or the shops at Caesar's Palace. I guess I just need to go back!
    I was just looking around. It appears that there are TWO Guerlain boutiques -- one at the Palazzo and one at the Bellagio. There is a thread here on Las Vegas with some good info:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=205178

Man, if my husband and I can get away for a long weekend for my birthday in October, it would be fun to stay somewhere right on the strip. Sounds like a wonderland. Probably too glitzy and fancy for me, but a wonderland nonetheless!

What a wonderful group of people! And you look like you're having so much fun! Certainly an attractive bunch.

Thanks for such a nice report.

an_oud_girl, ˇTe amo! xox

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post

an_oud_girl making me a sample of her brand new Fumerie Turque!
    I could look @ this pic all night. *drool*
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Blog Entries

Thank you bossanova boy and CJ; you guys are making me blush!

bossa, I'm sorry you were away for the event. Many of us have said we shouldn't wait an entire year to do this again. Maybe around the holidays a bunch of us will go marauding the smellies of Union Square once more! I'll make sure you're kept in the know.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I'd say keep both SF and LA, and pick between the two. And I'd even consider adding Las Vegas (heck, I'd love to go back to Vegas for a weekend sniffing event!). The ten of us made for quite a large party. I really have to commend the great job the SAs in the large department stores did in making sure all of us were attended to. It was almost apparent how nearly overwhelmed they were by us enthusiasts, but they definitely made us all feel welcome. It helped that at times we would break off into smaller groups to focus on a particular house, and the SA at that counter needed to juggle only 3 or 5 of us at a time. The SAs at the Prada and Chanel boutiques seemed content to just let us grab, spray, sniff, and gab as they stood well back and out of the way. I was a little late and missed Diptyque, but I know that while their SAs are attentive and helpful, the store is very, very tiny. Ditto Hermes.

I definitely vote for doing it all again next year! rogalal couldn't have done a more fantastic job forewarning the SAs and creating our itinerary. The group could possibly have accommodated a few more members, but I really think three groups of 8 to 12 would be a far better experience for everyone than one huge group of 25 to 40.

edit: 1280adam, when discussion for making the London BN Meet-Up an international event first began in early April, one gallant person in each region stepped forward to be the point of contact. I was surprised a good number of people hadn't noticed that most of the organizing was done via a regional thread in the Basenotes Worldwide Meet-Up Weekend 2009 Social Group. I guess even with the sticky threads, and organizers including promotional links in their sigs, word didn't spread quite as well as it might have throughout the BN community. Next year we'll have to find a way to make the events even better publicized, but I think our inauguration was smash hit!
    Maybe we should have a meet-up & events forum where we could keep all the organising, planning, reports & photo threads in one place...?

Thanks for making me absolutely drool this morning! Fantastic pics. Made my day.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Basenotes Plus

Love the recaps and photos, thanks!!! As a veteran attendee of quite a few sniffing events, I know firsthand the feelings of euphoria, delight, and bonhomie that these events generate. The shots reflected these feelings beautifully. Wonderful!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Was great hanging will fellow perfume enthusiasts and getting to meet some basenoters in person! JaimeB and Oudgirl lived up to their basenotes persona and more haha! Oudgirl was marvelous and if her picture made you drool imagine her in real person lol ;0 I hope to chat witht my fellow Bay Basenoters in the chatroom or in the forum and do some niche buying! Thanks for the experience folks!

It sounds like you all really had a lot of fun. I'd really love it if I could make the next one.

It really was a great day - both the actual sniffing as well as meeting and hanging out with my fellow No Cal Basenoters. It was such fun smelling new scents together, as well as the ongoing conversations about fragrance. I learned a lot and made new friends - what can be better than that?

I second the idea of doing a fragrance weekend in Vegas. I think that would be outrageously fun. Count me in!

Jenny