Code of Conduct

Default Heritage & Platinum goste

Which scent would be a better addition to my wardrobe: Heritage or Platinum goste? Or would both be redundant?

Also, re: Heritage, some say it's close to Davidoff Zino; which one is better?

Thanks.

Default Re: Heritage & Platinum goste

I think Platinum Egoiste will be a better addition because your wardrobe has quite a number of classic powerhouse masculine scents. I noticed u have Paco XS also which some find to be similar/very similar to Platinum. So if u find them to be similar then don't get PE. I own both XS and Platinum and I only get a slight similarity.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

From your wardrobe, I'd recommend Heritage since you already have several fresh scents. But Platinum Egoiste is very good if I were you I'd purchase both.

Well, I don't find Heritage close to Zino. Zino is darker and not as manly as Heritage. My mom asked "Are you wearing a female scent?" when I had Zino on. I think it could easily be unisex, especially for ladies in their forties and more. It smells really nice. Take them all
    Last edited by KiatBkk; 30th August 2009 at 11:55 AM.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Hmm, both get one vote. I'd like to hear more opinions, guys. As usual, my problem is that I can't test them here. So, yes, it's a blind buy as many other scents in my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Hmm, both get one vote. I'd like to hear more opinions, guys. As usual, my problem is that I can't test them here. So, yes, it's a blind buy as many other scents in my wardrobe.
    I though PE and Heritage are widely available.

Anyway, PE is along the same lines as XS, Eternity and Cool Water. So if u like those kind of frags than it will be safe to blind buy. Heritage for me is like a extreme version of Hermes Rocabar. I feel that PE would be a safer blind buy compared to Heritage.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

You have to be careful with Heritage. Discounted bottles are old stock. Guerlain took some steps to remove it from discounters and clear up the grey market. I wouldn't buy it from anyone but a high-end retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I though PE and Heritage are widely available.
    Unfortunately, not here. Some shops do have PE, but they won't let you try it.

Anyway, PE is along the same lines as XS, Eternity and Cool Water. So if u like those kind of frags than it will be safe to blind buy. Heritage for me is like a extreme version of Hermes Rocabar. I feel that PE would be a safer blind buy compared to Heritage.
    Although I own XS, it doesn't really move me, but it's still more interesting than Eternity and Cool Water. Rocabar, on the other hand, impressed me quite a bit when I tried it on paper. I've only tried once though.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    You have to be careful with Heritage. Discounted bottles are old stock. Guerlain took some steps to remove it from discounters and clear up the grey market. I wouldn't buy it from anyone but a high-end retailer.
    I plan to get it from a fellow Basenoter, actually. Guerlain counter here no longer carries Heritage.

Dependent

PE has eluded my sampling for the longest time, inspired by the thread of "favorite Chanel", I recently decided to get a sniff. I wouldn't be able to justly critique a scent just based on that, but it certainly was enjoyable. That being said, based on that brief sampling of PE, I would say that Heritage is preferred over PE, FWIW.

I plan to get it from a fellow Basenoter, actually. Guerlain counter here no longer carries Heritage.
    Over here almost all Guerlain counters have Heritage but it looks to me that it's all old stock that's at least 3-4 years old.

Over here almost all Guerlain counters have Heritage but it looks to me that it's all old stock that's at least 3-4 years old.
    Which is what you should be getting, as it's the older and superior formulation. The newer stuff is reformulated rubbish.

The latest formulations are fine, but definitely opt to get a vintage bottle if you can, as the original is even better.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Which is what you should be getting, as it's the older and superior formulation. The newer stuff is reformulated rubbish.
    Reformulated rubbish smells worlds better than ten year old skunk juice. If you're buying from someone who takes care of their product that's fine. I've been burned once on what I thought was a good deal for Heritage, not someone from here of course, but it was an older bottle from online.

Reformulated rubbish smells worlds better than ten year old skunk juice. If you're buying from someone who takes care of their product that's fine. I've been burned once on what I thought was a good deal for Heritage, not someone from here of course, but it was an older bottle from online.
    Being burnt is part and parcel of this hobby - it's 100% unavoidable and will not always occur regarding the age of a fragrance (and it's not as if we're not talking about a bottle of Chanel No.5 from the 1950s). Even relatively new releases can be stored badly. You took a chance because you thought you'd save some money and lost out - simple. Based on this, just because you've been burnt once doesn't mean that all old stock is bad - only some old stock is 'skunk juice'.
    Last edited by Trebor; 30th August 2009 at 08:53 PM.

Not to derail the thread, but I really think PorkFat brings up a very great point. I too have been burned by old fragrance that has smelled off or even spoiled fragrance ( that itself was not older than 5 years or so). If your gonna buy old stock, be careful who you buy it from. Or at the very least someone who is willing to refund if the product is not good.

I've been tempted to spend a lot of money for a few particular vintage formulation fragrances on eBay, but would be crushed if the fragrance was "off" or spoiled. I have about 6 bottles of spoiled fragrance, and that does not include the 2 I have returned this past few months ( some from actual fragrance shop in my town).
    Last edited by Surfacing; 30th August 2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: adjust some info

Oh...sorry Zliang, but to answer your question I would recommend Heritage. I am somewhat biased because I will always choose the fragrance that feels "warmer" to me.

Platinum reminds me a lot of Drakkar Noir, but better. Have you smelled that? Have not tried Heritage though...

Being burnt is part and parcel of this hobby - it's 100% unavoidable and will not always occur regarding the age of a fragrance (and it's not as if we're not talking about a bottle of Chanel No.5 from the 1950s). Even relatively new releases can be stored badly. You took a chance because you thought you'd save some money and lost out - simple. Based on this, just because you've been burnt once doesn't mean that all old stock is bad - only some old stock is 'skunk juice'.
    That says it all for me.

I have both Platinum Egoiste and Heritage. Platinum Egoiste is good but I prefer Heritage by a wide margin. Doesn't smell much like Zino to me.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Heritage. For me they're not redundant.

Sur la Plage

I personally would go with Heritage.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

im inclined ot say that it's not fair comparing these two scents. they are polar opposites in approach. Heritage is cedar/incense heavy scent and Platinum Egoiste a sharp citrus based. it's fair to compare PE with Paco XS pour homme for reference.

for me, both scents are equall good however, Heritage edges PE by just a bit..

While Zino might not be that similar to Heritage, it certainly is closer to it than Platinum Egoiste. Personally, I prefer Heritage to PE, but I prefer Zino over both...

Sound advice. Thank you.

smeller

Last edited by smeller; 22nd October 2009 at 02:47 PM.

Guerlain Heritage and Chanel P.E. have two entirely different auras about them. I think the latter is a fresh, inoffensive scent that has a warmth and sensuality to it. Heritage is quite a bit more traditional and, to me, provides a sense of power and maturity. I have yet to delve into the various formulations of Heritage, but I did wear P.E. for years and eventually fell out of favor with it.

I concur with others - both are spectacular Between Zino and Heritage I'd go for Heritage, no contest.

Which scent would be a better addition to my wardrobe: Heritage or Platinum goste? Or would both be redundant?

Also, re: Heritage, some say it's close to Davidoff Zino; which one is better?

Thanks.