Code of Conduct
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Cool SLEEPER HITs we should check out...

Aqua di Gio.... j/k

Btw I came across some interesting reviews on scents which don't seem to market well but could be well worth a sniff, at least. I'm hoping to sample these:

Escada Magnetism
    Etienne Aigner Black
    Joop! Jump

I'm sure you guys have others which you feel qualify as 'SLEEPER HITS'... let's hear it!

Default Re: SLEEPER HITs we should check out...

I'll second Magnetism - I'm wearing it right now and it's a gem for its price and uniqueness.

(From my [limited] experience almost everything considered "sleeper" is "sleeper" deservedly so. I regularly fail to get excited about the remote.)

When I hear the phrase "sleeper hits" I think of those underrated, cheap drugstore scents that are actually quite wonderful...often smelling better and more complex than department store "designer" fragrances or ubiquitous celebuscents. Stuff like these:

Original Old Spice
    Stetson
    Lady Stetson
    Sand and Sable

If you blind sniffed any one of those 4, you probably wouldn't guess their price points!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Sometimes a frag sells for "drugstore" prices because it's discontinued, but the true drugstore frags I've tried have generally been worth what they sell for, mostly due to a "chemical" or "synthetic"' quality." One exception is Mustang by Dorall, which is an excellent tobacco frag (other notes listed are basil and leather), quite "niche"-like, actually (at least when it dries down). Cuba Red is another, similar one. Avon's Mesmerize for men is somewhat similar to Burberry's London for men, so that's another possible one.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 30th August 2009 at 08:57 PM.

Off-Scenter

If by "sleepers" you mean great, underrated scents, from mainstream perfume houses, I'd call out Devin, Monsieur Balmain, Lauder for Men, and Z-14.

Yes, they get discussed (some) here on Basenotes, but the general public pays them very little attention.

Carrera for Men is S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G !!!! And it doesn't get discussed often in BN and the real world.

L'Occitane Eau des Baux. That vanilla/incense/wood drydown is SO good.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I guess a "sleeper" is a fragrance that has gotten little to no attention and is just waiting to be discovered. A few that I think are exceptional fragrances that seem to have escaped notice here anyway are:

Vanille Intense by Parfums Nicolai - a thick deep vanilla with a smokey edge that reminds me a bit of Eau des Iles by MPG. If a smokey incense could be made of Habit Rouge this is it. This is a sleeper because it is brand new and Patricia Nicolai has come a little late to the vanilla party for the vanilla fragrance trend. But, it is blended with her brilliance for great combinations - one of the best from the house of Nicholai - imo. One of the best vanilla fragrances made!

Vintage Naturals Patchouli by Demeter - this is a light orange scented patchouli that has a strong natural grassy patchouli scent. Excellent patchouli fragrance. It gets overlooked, as do the entire Vintage Naturals series from Demeter, because this house is not known for anything natural smelling and these get lost in their huge library. They can be bought at Sephora where the entire Naturals series from Demeter is featured in the feminine fragrance area. The other Naturals by Demeter are good too, but I've only really tried this one in depth.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 31st August 2009 at 06:14 PM.

Siecle by Fragonard

Sur la Plage

Guy Laroche Horizon
    Lauder for Men
    Last edited by petruccijc; 31st August 2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Gai Mattiolo Uomo

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Guy Laroche Horizon
    +1 on that.

AromiErotici

Another vote for Horizon
    Mediterraneum by Proteo ( Versace) is also very good IMO.

Kenzo Jungle Elephant

It's insane, it's weird but wearable and addicting yet you hardly hear much about it.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Jump is quite nice, so is Adidas VL.
    I also like the entire jeans series by versace.

Mont Blanc Homme Exceptionel

It's like ROchas Lui but no one takes notice of the ones I like

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Mont Blanc Homme Exceptionel
    releases by Mont Blanc are often overlooked. Individuel smells so much better and refined than Creed's Original Santal...and so does Presense..which is a pretty cool fragrance.

some sleepers imho arrrre..

Givenchy Insense Ultramarine
    Paco Rabbane XS Extreme Girl (perfumer Mark Buxton)
    Thierry Mugler Angel (eau de parfum) and Peony
    Krizia Moods Uomo
    Bulgari Jasmine Noir
    +
    more..
    Last edited by jenson; 31st August 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Mustang Blue - I have an old Mustang so of course this intrigued me when it came out. I really do love the scent of the Mustang Blue - fresh, crisp and it lasts!! far better than I was expecting for a scent named after yet another car brand.

Ambro de Jacomo
    Anat Fritz EDP
    Christiane Celle Calypso Figue
    Ella Mikao Design Yujin Men
    Gourmandise de Rodier
    Kenzo Time for Peace Pour Lui
    Lacoste Booster

Lanvin Vetyver
    Les Copains Pour Homme
    Les Néréides Oriental Lumpur
    Oscar de la Renta Oscar for Men
    Parfums de Nicolaï Haute Provence
    René Lezard Identité Pour Homme

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 31st August 2009 at 10:37 PM.

Trussardi Uomo

My picks are;

Pal Zileri Sartoriale - as good as Guci PH with a better opening.

Lancome Miracle L'Aquatonic - warm weather bliss

Carven Vetiver - the one that was reissued in 2009 in in the bottle that looks like this -

This can hold it's own against any vetiver.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 31st August 2009 at 11:07 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Clean for men.........

This, beyond any shadow of a doubt. Gets no promotion at the stores and no love here, but I get nothing but compliments when I wear it. Unique, excellent smell that has the added bonus of lasting 5 or 6 hours. Can't get enough of it when wearing.

Please try Ricci Club by Nina Ricci. Believe me, this scen is so damn manly, sexy, and completely complex :P

Quote Originally Posted by Natch View Post

This, beyond any shadow of a doubt. Gets no promotion at the stores and no love here, but I get nothing but compliments when I wear it. Unique, excellent smell that has the added bonus of lasting 5 or 6 hours. Can't get enough of it when wearing.
    And I thought I was the only one that was smitten by this one. I find it to be pretty darn good, and I have tested it atleast 3 times, with each time coming a little closer to ordering a bottle online.

At the moment I can only think of Loewe fragrances. In this region Loewe is quite an unknown in terms of fragrance and it's quite difficult to find too. I only own Solo Loewe and I think it's a under appreciated frag even here on BN.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Jean Patou Ma Liberté - very much overlooked here IMO. Not a single thread on Ma Liberté on BN despite of so many posts about what smells similar to Patou PH. Discontinued but still easy to find and not expensive. A smooth woody/spicy oriental (sandalwood, patchouli, cedar among other notes) from Kerleo that is perfectly unisex, the EdP lasts 10-12 hours on me...what more can one ask for?
    Last edited by phibess; 1st September 2009 at 06:36 AM.

I second Sartoriale & Moods ...

Blog Entries

I just tried Ma Liberte EDT this morning after reading your post. Resemblance to Patou PH? Perhaps you are referring to EDP as I don't get it from EDT?

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Jean Patou Ma Liberté - very much overlooked here IMO. Not a single thread on Ma Liberté on BN despite of so many posts about what smells similar to Patou PH. Discontinued but still easy to find and not expensive. A smooth woody/spicy oriental (sandalwood, patchouli, cedar among other notes) from Kerleo that is perfectly unisex, the EdP lasts 10-12 hours on me...what more can one ask for?
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    MPal Zileri Sartoriale - as good as Guci PH with a better opening.
    I love this stuff and I think Dimitrios does too. EDIT oops he did post about it above! ^^

However, my opinion is that it smells more like Gucci Envy for Men. Maybe Envy and Gucci pour Homme together?
    Last edited by SirSlarty; 1st September 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Kenzo Jungle Elephant

It's insane, it's weird but wearable and addicting yet you hardly hear much about it.
    When I wear this my female African colleagues go crazy. They just love it! And so do I although I have no idea what it smells like on another. It's so out there (or should I say down there?) it's scary. Very linear, but packing a huge punch. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I just tried Ma Liberte EDT this morning after reading your post. Resemblance to Patou PH? Perhaps you are referring to EDP as I don't get it from EDT?
    I've never tried the EdT but find similarities between PPH and Ma Liberte EdP in style and feel. Maybe it's the Kerleo's composition style, his way of blending the notes..who knows.. both share certain elements,...I just smelled the caps of both and it's clearly there IMO - like when you find similarities between E. Roudnitska perfumes..call it a signature final touch..I don't know...
    Anyways, Ma Liberte is sweeter, simpler and less herbal than PPH and I def. recommend to check this one out if one likes smooth high quality orientals.

Smile Re: SLEEPER HITs we should check out...

Just received a bottle of Carrera Pour Homme - GREAT stuff! It reminds me of Bois 1920 Classic. However, Carrera has a lot more sillage and longevity (sort of a Bois 1920 Classic Extreme). I highly recommend Carrera!
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao