Code of Conduct

Default older selections

It looks like I'm on my way to a small collection of colognes. Thanks to all the basenote folks who took the time to write reviews for all of us to use. I found them very useful.

After my initial purchase of Dunhill For Men on a recent trip to NY I followed with seveal other classic scents that I tried at various stores. I now own ten bottles and about fifteen sample vials for further review. I have totally been taken with the older classic scents. Some that I'm old enough to have worn at there initial release but never did. My wife is just shaking her head.

Azzaro pour Homme (1978)

Dunhill for Men (1934)

Everlast Original 1910 (2006)

Halston 1-12 (1976)

Halston Z-14 (1976)

Lagerfeld Classic (1978)

Old Spice (1937)

Paco Rabanne pour Homme (1973)

Cartier Santos (1981)

Tsar (1989)
    Last edited by DarwinHoel; 30th August 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: older selections

Welcome and congratulations!

Many of the "older selections" are classics, and never go out of style IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Congrats,
    I commend you for you're admiration of the classics. wear them in good health my friend

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Welcome and congratulations!

Many of the "older selections" are classics, and never go out of style IMO.

Agreed, Again...

And Welcome DarwinHoel, you will enjoy BN!!

Great stuff you've gotten so far. Here are a few more great oldies to try if you have not already:

Vetiver by Guerlian (1961)
    Habit Rouge by Guerlian (1965)
    Caron Pour Un Homme by Caron (1934)
    Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene (1976)

Vetiver by Guerlian (1961) is on the short list. I'll add the others to the try list. Thanks for the input.

I'll give Grey Flannel another point, I'm 23, but I don't find grey flannel to be exclusively for the oldies, It's a classic imho.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

I adore vintage scent! Think of the lives lived, the experiences had...and YOU get to enjoy THE SAME SCENT! Take your Dunhill for Men, for example...and imagine THAT fragrance filling a tension-filled meeting of men planning war strategy...Scent is so evocative, and using older fragrances provides a uniquely visceral connection with history....

Yes, I am a nerd. Why do you ask? LOL

I especially love when young people put on the classics. I don't understand the fear of "smelling old..." a young person is not going to spontaneously age if they wear a vintage scent! In fact, I think the contrast of a sophisticated scent with a youthful wearer is a very attractive and intriguing thing!

Welcome!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

I've only had experience with Azzaro, Paco, Santos and Tsar. IMO all great frags that are worth to have in any wardrobe. In an age where 8 out of 10 men wear the latest generic designer releases, anyone of those frags will stand out. Old smelling? Maybe...unique...most definitely. Not only will the classics make heads turn, young ladies will be curious about the sillage they just smelled and mature ladies will be hit by nostalgia. That's the power of the classics.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Basenotes Institution

Welcome ! I love the Dunhill and Santos ! I second DocmanCC's selection too.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Dunhill is probably your best selection thus far. I suggest you try some other classics like Eau Sauvage, Floris no. 89, maybe even Jicky.

The Dunhill is also my favorite selection so far too. I'll give your suggestions a sniff. Thank You!

excellent collection there ! congratulations!