Code of Conduct

Thread: Halston man

Default Halston man

I finally purchased a bottle at N-M today and I am impressed. The package is very Halston in stark flat gray with font in small silver. The bottle is truly flawless like captured moving mercury it shines like a fine mirror and reminds me a little of HALSTON Limited that had the sterling silver collar. The box of course is velvet lined.

To truly appreciate this scent you have to experience it with a fully open mind and act like you have never smelled Z-14. It is a chypre there is no denying that and surprising to find one of this magnitude being made in the post 70's early 80's when they ruled as aqua marine scents do now.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Halston man

It's one of the best designer releases of the year, IMO. Not the typical run-of-the mill stuff that is clogging up the shelves.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 31st August 2009 at 01:16 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I acquired this fragrance yesterday. I think it's beautiful, masculine.

Here are the notes:

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/H...-Man-6488.html

Will Z-14 be discontinued?

God I hope not. I hope this new Halston is interesting though

Thanks for the review. I'll have to see if my NM carries this.
    Way back when I always liked Z-14. I am one of those who thinks Ford's ITALIAN CYPRESS is pretty much a copy of vintage Z-14.I am really curious to see if this ressurected Halston in just another iteration of the same.

I am quite satisfied with Halston Man as well. I can't stop sniffing my forearm. The bottle is ridiculously cool. Another great purchase. I should've bought the bigger bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    God I hope not. I hope this new Halston is interesting though
    It is. Scentimus & Petruccijc are correct. It isn't earth shattering but GOD it's good stuff.
    Personally, I think it's Z 14 + 1
    Last edited by SoGent; 28th April 2010 at 01:50 AM.

If this new Halston is a success I wonder if they would consider bringing back 101.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    If this new Halston is a success I wonder if they would consider bringing back 101.
    Now, this was one really beautiful pine frag. I can't understand why it was discontinued.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have always been a fan of Z-14.....this was probably my first real fragrance.....I will give this new scent a try.....soon I hope!!!
    Gary

Second day with the sample. It's finished.

Findings. Very Halston for those of us who remember Halston and Perry Ellis in their last days of the early 1990's. Pleasant, sublime, and one of the better offerings this summer. A powdery chypre.

I think this will be a purchase.
    Last edited by graffham; 15th June 2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Basenotes Institution

I've been wanting to test this one for a while. A couple of Basenoters who I respect, have given it a thumbs up.

I used the wear-the-hell out of Perry Ellis when I was a teen. Loved that stuff! I never really liked Z-14 (I always enjoyed 1-12 more), but I didn't realize Bernard Chant was the perfumer for Z-14. Wow.

Nice to see you back posting Graffham.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th June 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Grazie mille Mr. Perez! I was in Italy for a while after some family losses; I've composed myself for a much more pleasant summer!
    Ciao!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Well, this scent has only TODAY hit Australian retailers, and I have to say its really rather exceptional! I quite adore the mens and women's versions, but the mens Halston reminds me a little of Kenzo Power (without the prickly, fizzy topnotes).
    I've just spent a small fortune on a bottle of vintage Derby, and now am left penniless for another week... WHY HALSTON, WHY!?!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Well, this scent has only TODAY hit Australian retailers, and I have to say its really rather exceptional! I quite adore the mens and women's versions, but the mens Halston reminds me a little of Kenzo Power (without the prickly, fizzy topnotes).
    I've just spent a small fortune on a bottle of vintage Derby, and now am left penniless for another week... WHY HALSTON, WHY!?!
    You smell iris D?

I smell something dry... a puff of Dior Homme's dryness, which I would probably normally attribute to Iris.
    Whilst yesterdays squirt has since faded, I still have the cards I sprayed sitting on my desk here... when I walked into the studio this morning I was welcomed with this fabulous scent.
    GAH!

Basenotes Institution

Oh that's it...I just bought a mini on Ebay...I'm dying to try this.

AromiErotici

This sounds promising ! I wear both 14 and 12 and have always liked the Halston line. I will make sure I try this one.

Z-14 always used to be a fallback of mine. I'd really love to try this.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Just got my bottle - First of all the silver bottle is a genius take on Elsa Peretti's original design. The juice? Also a genius take Bernard Chant's original formula for Z-14. This is soooo 70's deluxe that I just can't wait to feature it in the guest bathroom at my disco revival party this fall. Whomever did this, bravo!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    ...This is soooo 70's deluxe that I just can't wait to feature it in the guest bathroom at my disco revival party this fall. Whomever did this, bravo!
    LOL - sounds great!

Carlos Benaim did it (Polo, Polo Modern Reserve, Euphoria [both mens and womens], Flowerbomb...to name a few)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Just got my bottle - First of all the silver bottle is a genius take on Elsa Peretti's original design. The juice? Also a genius take Bernard Chant's original formula for Z-14. This is soooo 70's deluxe that I just can't wait to feature it in the guest bathroom at my disco revival party this fall. Whomever did this, bravo!
    Love it Kevin! Youre spot on!

Basenotes Institution

2 sprays on my arm:

This is sweeter than I expected it to be. The top notes remind me of crystallized sugar, calone-flavored gummi worms - really modern, almost fruity but not berry-ish....more like a diffusive whiff of fruit (which must be the passionfruit?). And then the way the mint, aromatics and wood/musk combine give you a feeling of freshness but in such a different way than I have ever experienced before.

It sort of smells shiny, like the bottle.

There is a chewing gum that I tasted at 7-11 last week, that is mint flavored and it also has cardamom in it - this scent reminds me of chewing this gum (can't remember the name now...) = fresh and spicy.

This is what I wanted Guerlain Homme to smell like!

I can't wait to give this a full wearing tomorrow.

Refined take on z-14. It's good.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    2 sprays on my arm:

This is sweeter than I expected it to be. The top notes remind me of crystallized sugar, calone-flavored gummi worms - really modern, almost fruity but not berry-ish....more like a diffusive whiff of fruit (which must be the passionfruit?). And then the way the mint, aromatics and wood/musk combine give you a feeling of freshness but in such a different way than I have ever experienced before.

It sort of smells shiny, like the bottle.

There is a chewing gum that I tasted at 7-11 last week, that is mint flavored and it also has cardamom in it - this scent reminds me of chewing this gum (can't remember the name now...) = fresh and spicy.

This is what I wanted Guerlain Homme to smell like!

I can't wait to give this a full wearing tomorrow.
    Nice one Mike!

I also enjoy the woody drydown that borders on husky incense. I look forward to more comments when you've worn it for a day.

Sur la Plage

I now see this being sold in Saks.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Vincent Marcello did Z-14, Bernard Chant did Aramis etc. and Women's Halston.
    Last edited by fraddicted; 9th December 2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: added info

Is this one as good as amber?

This is a nice Fall scent. Very multi-faceted. Berry scent is strong at first, then mellows out, but the dryness is persistent. I still believe that this is a hybrid of Z-14 and L'Artisan Mure et Musc Extreme. I'm wearing it today for the first time in a year, probably.

Tried it a while ago and didn't care for it.

Surprisingly good scent. It falls into that "modern take on a vintage theme" category (i.e. Rive Gauche). This one veers in the green cyphre direction. These scents have a way of pressing all the right buttons for a lot of BNers. Halston Man is not particularly memorable or groundbreaking, but it's a wonderful green, rich, versatile scent.

Actually, it probably is pretty unique to the average consumer, who hasn't had extensive experience with the classics of the '70s and '80s. As for myself, I'm just glad this kind of scent is still being released.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I own Halston Man and Halston Man Amber - both are fantastic!

Love pretty much everything from Halston, and Man Amber is one of my favorite fragrances. Will likely pick this up at some point, though I'm having trouble recalling the smell after only testing it once.