Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept 5, 2009 ★★★ Opposite Gender

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance -or- Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Oriental Feb. 2007~Animalic March 2007~Chypre April 2007~ Floral May 2007~Fruity June 2007~ Citrus Sept. 2007~Fougere Oct. 2007~ Amber Nov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ Gourmand Jan. 2008~Oriental Feb. 2008~Animalic March 2008~Chypre April 2008~Floral May 2008~Fruity June 2008~Citrus July 2008~Green Aug. 2008~Fresh/Aquatic Sept. 2008~Opposite Gender or Fougere Oct. 2008 ~ Amber Nov. 2008 ~ Spicy Dec. 2008 ~ Gourmand Jan. 2009 ~ Oriental Feb. 2009 ~ Animalic March 2009 ~ Chypre April 2009 ~ Floral May 2009 ~ Fruity June 2009 ~ Citrus July 2009 ~ Greens Aug. 2009 ~ Fresh

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept 5, 2009 ★★★ Opposite Gender

Oh have I been looking forward to this one! Going to try and wear something shamelessly feminine, will be making my choice at some point this week.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, Sept 5, 2009 ★★★ Opposite Gender

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    Oh have I been looking forward to this one! Going to try and wear something shamelessly feminine, will be making my choice at some point this week.
    Atta, boy!

Basenotes Plus

Fun! I was just thinking how I should wear my "masculine" frags more often. I'm definitely going with something I haven't worn in a while; Rocabar, Envy for Men, or B*Men would all qualify.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I have something I've been saving, a sample that Taolady sent me. I haven't even take a sniff yet. I want to be surprised.

Blog Entries

I'm definitely going to play along w/ this one! I'll try to wear my most manliest frag. I wonder what that would be...hmm...M7 maybe?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

My sister has a bunch of bottles lying around, maybe I should go and give Marc Jacobs Daisy a run.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Cool! I may go for my sample of Black Orchid, Alien, or my wife's L'Instant (pour femme). I will NOT wear Diorissimo. No. Never. 24, Faubourg - no problem. But never Diorissimo. Never, never, never, never, never.

Basenotes Plus

I'm thinking L'Instant PF or Marc Jacobs Daisy/Lola, as yet undecided, any reccomendations?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I have several great masculines so I am looking forward to this one! I know I will at least wear some Invasion Barbare. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I will NOT wear Diorissimo. No. Never. 24, Faubourg - no problem. But never Diorissimo. Never, never, never, never, never.
    Aaaa, come on! Be a man!

My most "manly" is MPGs Parfum d'Habit followed by Crown Park Royal. Either one...

(Today I wore YSL L'Homme and it is very floral...)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thinking about wearing Endymion, but I may look for something new for such an occasion.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Plus

I've decided on Fracas!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I think I'll wear my bf's Dior Homme Intense.Never tried it before,and the notes seems interesting to try from a female perspective

Oooh heck, am looking forward to this one, don't know what I'll wear though!

Tested Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa yesterday evening because I wanted to wear it today. I liked the spiciness and dryness and there was a bit sweetness too. When I woke up in the middle of the nignt I sniffed my arm. I could still smell it (+). But then the smell made me feel a bit sick (-) so I don't want to wear it today. But at least I have tested.

Basenotes Institution

I'll probably wear the BIG LADY of them all, Youth Dew by Estee Lauder. Hey, if you're gonna go for the opposite gender, you might as well go big, right?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th September 2009 at 06:11 AM.

I can't join today, but i still wanted a small part in this so I put some of my husband's DKNY Be Delicious Man on my wrist the other day.

Unfortunately I just couldn't get over the fact that I smelled like my man...it didn't come out very well on my skin, mostly quite sour apples. I will have another go with something else in a few days. Maybe Dad's Farenheit?!

Anyways, have fun today. I'm preparing a party and I'm deciding what to wear for that. It'll have to be one of my own frags though :-).

Following Mikeperez23's lead and wearing Youth Dew on one arm (and J'Adore on the other).
    Will report back later.

If I wasn't going to Zurich today I'd be giggling all morning trying to decide between Yatagan and well, something equally rugged and butch. (Is there anything?) But I'm going to be out in public with my family and a dear friend who's visiting. He's Small's Godfather and he's a wonderful man.

So since my hubby is totally non-fragrantic, I'm hoping The Godfather will be excited at the prospect of sniffing a few things today. I suspect I'll go with either Christian Lacroix Tumulte Pour Homme, which is a really nice incense over cedar, or Lollita Lempicka Au Masculin, which is kind of like LL. If we get to go into Oswald's Parfumerie, maybe I'll get to try a couple of things, so I want to keep my own perfume level down a bit in case.

This evening, I can let the Yatagan loose. Yahoo!!!!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Was planning to wear Amouage Gold Men to a get-together later today, but in the spirit of SnS Saturday, i will wear my wife's Amouage Ubar. I am actually excited already!!!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

OH GOODY!!

I got quite a few fella's frags and am gonna wear as many as I can today in honor of the opposing sex...VIVA YANG ...from YIN!!

Starting off with a sample of the SUPERB Eau Sauvage...Top Notes: Lemon and Rosemary; Middle Notes: Petitgrain and Basil. Base Notes: Vetiver....(but is sure smells like there's a lot more in there than that! Viva Roudnitska!!

Will continue to report.

(And - OH! - Perfaddict - you smell DIVINE!!)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 5th September 2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Sloppiness....and afterthoughts
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I often (most of the time?) cross the marketing/gender barrier, so today I'm wearing one of my most worn favourites: Chanel No 19 edp.

Slightly bitter green, grassy, floral, musky. Fresh, versatile, never offensive, but full of character. What's not to love?

Jean Patou pour Homme Priv

I have a sample that Taolady sent me in a care package (thank you Taolady! ). I decided to save it for this very Sniff ‘n Speak and this is my very first sniff of it ever. It has a bracing beginning, which doesn’t usually bode well with me, but it transitions into a lovely woodsy vetiver and I get an impression of cool earthy iris (is it in there?), and a slight sweet spiciness that must be the lavender, which rather than dissipating becomes more apparent as the fragrance develops. It’s very, very nice, intoxicating really. What a great composition! Refined, restrained, clean and gentlemanly, yet sophisticated and sensual. I think whatever the parts are, and I’m no good at picking them all out, the sum of them is greater. I feel very comfortable in this fragrance this morning, and I'd love smelling this on a man. I love Grey Flannel, and this one seems similar – but more the real deal.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 5th September 2009 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Today I'm wearing Jolie Madam by Balmain, my favorite leather.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Expendability: Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Ensign Ricky are beaming down to the planet. Guess who's not coming back.

I'm in Red Shirt!

(Thanks to Whisperingleaves for this sample.) Red Shirt is a tribute to the always-doomed crew member. Of the three Star Trek scents (and I'm so geekily thrilled to have been able to try them--I actually own a Star Trek pin that looks like the communicator pin), I immediately liked RS best. It's absolutely generic, but like the other two ST scents, doesn't seem to have been made with the cheapest ingredients, as one would expect.

According the the publicity: Red Shirt Cologne is made for the young, modern man of the galaxy who doesn't hesitate; who revels in being alive today. Red Shirt Cologne instills confidence, showing the universe your strength, your valor, your devotion to living each day as though it could be your last. Bright, clean and direct with top notes of green mandarin, bergamot and a hint of lavender, Red Shirt finish strong with base notes of leather and grey musk. It's a daring men's fragrance for those brave enough to place no trust in tomorrow.
    Last edited by Quarry; 5th September 2009 at 01:08 PM.

I'm in EGOISTE! this morning (sorry, that commercial has branded that in to my brain. I cannot read the word without hearing the shrill screams....)

Spicy, and a little bit sweet. The casual passerby is probably assuming that I am wearing an unusual woman's fragrance. On a man, I'm sure it just comes off as worldly and sophisticated, but on me the feminine side really comes out to play!

PS: I did not know that Red Shirt existed, but I believe the world is a better place because it does.
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 5th September 2009 at 01:10 PM.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

I am so very manly in Green Irish Tweed. This one was love at first sniff, and I sometimes think about hiding DH's Prada so he will HAVE to wear this one.
    It doesn't smell quite as fab on me, but it is still makes me smile.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Today I'm in Dior Homme Intense.I love the original,so i was curious about this version. The notes are:

Lavender,Iris,Vanilla,Amber,Cedar,Vetiver.

My first impression from the bottle is a quite masculine and sweet fragrance.On my skin it doesn't seem that masculine however.This is defenitely a gourmand scent to my nose.The dominating notes to my skin is vanilla,Amber and Iris.

I would say it comes out as a mixure of Musc Ravageur and Lolita Lempicka( the female version) on me. Defenitely wearable for a woman,but it's quite loud,so you should wear it with confidence. It also has a little bitterness to it. Not sure what notes that causes it.All in all I have to say that even though I like the scent it's not something i would wear that comfortably.I prefer the original on me.The drydown is all about vanilla.Not too different from L by Lolita Lempicka. Is this a Roucel creation?
    Last edited by ineespenes; 5th September 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    I'm definitely going to play along w/ this one! I'll try to wear my most manliest frag. I wonder what that would be...hmm...M7 maybe?
    When I 1st sniffed M7 it had wrongly been placed at the Women's Frag counter of the dept store. I tested it and LOVED it, it wore beautifully and I thought "wow how cool of YSL to be so forward and modern with this feminine scent"

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I have several great masculines so I am looking forward to this one! I know I will at least wear some Invasion Barbare. . . .
    OK have to admit, I don't like to wear masculines but this one is GORGEOUS

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    I've decided on Fracas!
    Libertine, I'm jealous!! Waiting for my bottle of edp

I just don't wear masculines, not sure why. If I love a masculine scent I automatically want to smell it on a man. Funny, this sniff n speak really has me thinking- wondering why I cannot get my head around wearing a man's frag. With my little M7 incident, as soon as I found out it was for men, I knew I just wouldn't wear it. Weird.

I'm wearing Creed VIW today which is kind of cheating, it's not really masculine smelling at all but when hubs wears it I could just bite him he smells so good.

One of my favourite Sniff 'n' Speaks ...

Decided against going with one of my 'everyday' so-called masculines (I have many), and to have a play with something unusual. It was a toss-up between A*Men Pure Coffee and Carthusia Uomo ... I went for the latter.

What can I say? This is Daddy circa 1979, in the days when he looked and dressed like Tom Selleck. How to describe it? Loud, clean, soapy, pine-y, lavendery, citrus-woody, peppery. Utterly conventional, dated and oh-so Mediterranean. Reasurring, familiar, macho: a gold medallion nestling in chest hair.
    Last edited by soirdelune; 5th September 2009 at 03:35 PM.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Much as I love it, Savage Water hasn't much staying power on me - a good excuse to forge ahead in:

...for lun-lun al fresco with a friend. Green and incense-y with a heart of spicy fruits and vanilla...total yumsters.

Only down-side: it may last the rest of the day so I can't wear more of my beauties.

'Course - I COULD continue into Sunday....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Antaeus

I tried Fleurs du Male by Gaultier and it did not suit me.

According to all those ads from the launch--a handsome man in a bathtub of white flowers (OK, some of your know the reference here)--I expected something a little more floral. Not a purchase for me.

I will stick to my more recent "olfactory transvestism" by keeping my YSL L'Homme, thank you.
    Last edited by Primrose; 5th September 2009 at 04:36 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I will spray a little Bulgari Black a little later for the evening, its the only real masculine one I have at the moment, as I only have a small collection. Wanted to join in though!

I will be wearing Geranium PM by Malle from a sample provided by my good friend Sybarite.
    Minty fresh on a hot day!
    Evenstar

Well, I had to be on an airplane this morning, so couldn't be too daring. I'm wearing Czech & Speake Citrus Paradisi. It's pleasant, but bears no real resemblance to paradise on my skin. Later I'm going to try C&S Cuba.

Taolady, I love Eau Sauvage! And Quarry, what a good idea to pull out the Red Shirt sample! I liked that one best from our blind sniff.

Basenotes Plus

I ended up in Michael Kors Michael for Men. What a beauty! Big 'n bold yet elegant; ultrasuede leather and smooth tobacco with a kick of booze and a touch of candied fruit. It's evocative of oak-paneled libraries, of sinking into an overstuffed club chair with a good book and a snifter of cognac, a humidor of Cohibas within easy reach on a lacquered end table. Gender-bending never smelled so good!

I'm certain I'll be reaching for this a lot more often in the coming months; although weather usually has no bearing on my scent choices, this one feels especially "autumnal" to me.

top notes: bergamot, elemi, cardamom, tarragon, star anise, thyme, coriander
    middle notes: pipe tobacco, suede, incense
    base notes: patchouli, dark plum, sandalwood, dried fruits
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Guerlain Heritage, edt.

Notes: Lemon, Lavender, Bergamot
    Coriander, Pink Peppercorn
    Patchouli, Cedarwood, Tonka Beans, Vanilla

This opulent masculine loses something in the translation from the husbands skin onto my own! Truly, one of my favorite scents to sniff and snorfle on my man...Heritage goes very soapy/patchouli on me...save a small sprig of lavender. After about 3 hours of wear, it's mostly faded, leaving a slight animalic remnant - who knows where THAT's coming from???

All in all, I've always wondered if this one would be a winner for me...now my curiosity has been satisfied - the answer is "no".

Basenotes Institution

Gosh I forgot how strong Youth Dew is. OMGoodness...((opening windows in my house))

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Gosh I forgot how strong Youth Dew is. OMGoodness...((opening windows in my house))
    I just went out to get the mail...I thought there was a hint of Youth Dew in the breeze!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I just went out to get the mail...I thought there was a hint of Youth Dew in the breeze!
    I believe it. LOL.

I remember the story going, that Estee Lauder, before she became a cosmetics giant and she was just starting out - that she would go around to the department stores and take bottles of her perfumes and makeup and try to get stores to buy them. One day she supposedly (intentionally) dropped a glass bottle of Youth Dew bath oil on the floor so that it would stink up the whole fragrance department. Women kept coming up to the SA's asking what that scent was that they smelled, and that's how she got the store to stock it.

Can you imagine? I bet the floor smelled like YD for more than a week.

Seriously - it is a wonderful fragrance. Right now it's in that cinnamon/amber stage and it smells SO good.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Notes: vetiver, grapefruit, nutmeg, orris, orange blossom, aromatic sage, pimiento, amber woods and oak moss

The notes I smell most in Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver are vetiver, mixed citrus which may include grapefruit, bergamot and lemon, vague and nondescript woody notes, and a herbal accord which is reminiscent of rosemary and lavender. There is a slight plasticky note in the mid-development which reminds me of the creamy floral accord from Tom Ford's White Patchouli. In the context of Grey Vetiver, it gives a bit of sweetness and roundness to an otherwise rather dry and astringent composition. The vetiver is of good quality--it starts nutty and ends smoky and dry. The vetiver is much more subdued in GV than it is in vetiver powerhouses such as Lalique Encre Noir, although it is obviously vetiver from a similar source as EN. Later in the mid development, as the vetiver is transforming, there is a stage where the combination of vetiver with the creamy floral and herbal accord is quite pleasing--it is refreshing and uplifting without being heavy or harsh. Late in the development, the early creamy floral transforms into the same soft woody accord from White Patchouli, but this time is overlaid with smoky vetiver, very faint mossy notes, a masculine musk and persistent herbs. This would be an excellent alternative to lighter vetiver scents such as Guerlain Vetiver or Comme des Garcons Vettiveru. Gray Vetiver seems modern but not edgy, longevity and sillage are moderate--a great all-around masculine fragrance, and sure to be a crowd-pleaser.

Creed Original Vetiver

Notes: Vetiver from Hati, Mysore sandalwood, iris from Florence, musk and ambergris, deep wood notes, mandarin, bergamot from Sicily, ginger (from creedfragrances.co.uk)

Lemon, bergamot, amber, musk, and rosewood are the most prominent notes when Original Vetiver is first sprayed. I am wondering where the vetiver is. Even after the fragrance has dried and is starting to settle, I do not smell any vetiver. What I do smell is basically a very woody-lemony cologne with soft amber-musk base. It's really not bad, but I would not classify it as a vetiver fragrance. The ingredients seem to be of reasonably good quality, however, I am having a very hard time getting excited about this fragrance. OV is Boring with a capital "B". It just SITS there, being lemony, woody and a tad spicy--in a nutshell, OV is mostly a soapy traditional scent and a bit thin on the base notes. This fragrance has none of the sparkle and beauty I would expect from a traditional scent made by a prestige house. I hesitate to suggest it as a good, all occasion, light and fresh fragrance because it is too expensive for what it is.

Blog Entries

I thought I wanted something bright and citrusy today, so I decided to sample Creed Erolfa. This is a little too much sweet, juicy citrus for my taste. The salty aquatic notes don't do enough to balance this for me.

Top: Ozone, Sea Salt, Marine Algae, Seaweed, Morrocan Tangerine, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Mandarin, Lime,
    Heart: Violet, Honeydew melon, Cyclamen, Jasmine, Ginger, Coriander, pepper, Caesarean Basil, Rosemary, Cumin, Pine,
    Base: Cedar, Sandalwood, Musk, Ambergris
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

You all smell fantastic! I'm in the spectacular Invasion Barbare, as planned. I love this one so much, I doubt I'll be wearing any other scent today, but one can never tell.

I think this might be my first SnS (or at least the 1st one that I actually wrote something, rather than living vicariously through the thread)...

I decided to use the excuse of SnS to try a sample of AdP's Colonia Intensa.

I've owned Colonia for years now...and while we all hear/know about its unisex design, I find that it dries down to a very feminine rose-centered fragrance. I was curious to see how if Colonia Intensa has the same evolution.

Colonia Intensa opens bright and green, with wafts of citrus...

So far, just a few minutes into the drydown, green-ness is still prevalent, but with the sparkle of the topnotes significantly toned down. Much more muted, warm...similar personality, if you will, to Colonia...but no floral...at least, not yet...

Am looking forward to see how it evolves through this beautiful sunny Saturday...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I believe it. LOL.

I remember the story going, that Estee Lauder, before she became a cosmetics giant and she was just starting out - that she would go around to the department stores and take bottles of her perfumes and makeup and try to get stores to buy them. One day she supposedly (intentionally) dropped a glass bottle of Youth Dew bath oil on the floor so that it would stink up the whole fragrance department. Women kept coming up to the SA's asking what that scent was that they smelled, and that's how she got the store to stock it.

Can you imagine? I bet the floor smelled like YD for more than a week.
    ...copied, no doubt, from the success of Coty's La Rose Jacqueminot:

"The year was 1904. The place was the Grands Magasins de Louver, a major Parisian department store. Coty had come to show his latest creation, La Rose Jacqueminot. None of his previous creations had found a market. But instead of being enthusiastic, the store's buyer was showing Coty the door — without allowing Coty to even open the bottle!

At this point Coty — by design or in anger — smashed his sample bottle on a counter or on the floor. Immediately the aroma of La Rose Jacqueminot filled the air ... and brought women swarming to Coty's side, asking the name of this wonderful fragrance ... and where they could buy it. (It has been suggested that Coty paid them for this enactment.)"
    http://www.perfumeprojects.com/museu...oty_0079.shtml

P.S. Eau de Baux still going strong!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 5th September 2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Tidying....

Started out in Tiberius ( :wave: Quarry)

Then sampled many wonderful masculines today including:

Habit Rouge
    Dior Homme
    Body Kouros
    M7
    A*Men Pure Malt

Some of these could definitely make it into my regular rotation

I'll probably try these one at a time over the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Leesee, Invasion Barbare is one of my absolute FAVORITES! Enjoy.

As a confirmed "bi-scentual" woman, I have a lot of masculines that I wear regularly and enjoy.

Today, however, I'm just back from a family vacation (Ontario for 4 days, NYC for 1), smack on the heels of the PHENOMENAL Boston BN get-together... Didn't even realize the S&S was coming up, but it turns out I did fine, wearing one of my impulse purchases from the BN extravaganza: Bond No. 9 Brooklyn. It's marketed as unisex, but seems to have been labeled more traditionally "masculine" (fine with me!). I can see how this could smell fairly pedestrian as a 'masculine,' but on me, it's a lovely light cardamom/transparent floral and leather. I pull up any and all sweet notes in this, so it's LOTS of fun! I envision walking past someone with a good nose who stops in their tracks as I pass, turns over their shoulder and thinks, "Wow - She's *interesting*..."

Brooklyn notes: Grapefruit, Cardamom, Cypress-wood, Geranium Leaves, Juniper Berries, Cedarwood, Leather and Guaiacwood.
    Its thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. Theyre confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, Something is just around the corner, what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers Something is just around the corner, something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Today it was Original Vetiver by Creed. I actually had never tried it. It was nice and clean on me. Very much how I would love a man to smell. It's a bit soapy, but I like that...clean and soapy are guilty pleasures of mine. My only complaint is that if fades very fast. I spritzed this morning around 11 and by 1pm it was a faint pleasant memory.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Lara, interesting--OV on me has lasted all day. The drydown is really quite nice, but I doubt I would have the patience to get through the first 8 hours of it on a regular basis. I agree--clean and soapy!

L'Artisan Navegar

Top Notes: Lime, Red pepper, Ginger
    Middle Notes: Rum, Star anise, Black pepper.
    Base Notes: Cedarwood, Guaiac wood, Incense

Tea, pepper, & incense... what's not to love?

Half my fragrance collection consists of feminines, so opposite-gender day is a bit redundant for me.

I took this opportunity to revisit two fougeres:

Parfum d'Empire Fougere Bengale

Fun as always. This seems less daring each time I wear it, though - perhaps I'm getting my weird fix elsewhere nowadays? It was almost comforting in its fougere-gourmand quality, like wrapping oneself in a nice warm blanket. I like the way tobacco and immortelle compliment the lavender-tonka accord.

Tom Ford Moss Breches

Impressed me more than on my first try. It's not really a fougere as I had been under the impression of, but it's a fragrance with a bit of an identity problem - not quite chypre, not really oriental. Interesting garrigue-herbal top notes quickly soften into a lightly honeyed heart, giving a feeling of dried herbs made into a sore-throat honey lozenge. The base is nice; a touch bland, but pleasant, an ambery-mossy vibe with a balsamic feeling.

Blog Entries

Thanks to a sample from j4ck (thanks!), I'm wearing Coco edp by Chanel.

Really, it's about darn time I smelled this.

The top was perfumey peaches (peach aldehydes??) paired with a suede-ish musk. Quickly, a chocolate/vanilla base (more perfumey than gourmand, though) came in and melded with the musk.

This is actually quite nice, and not entirely unwearable by a man, if he's a fan of oriental-style fragrances.

One thing that struck me was the "perfumey" nature of Coco. Most scents now try to be a bit more literal. Peach smells like peach, vanilla smells like vanilla, chocolate smells like chocolate. In Coco, the "natural" smells all have a synthetic nature to them - not in a bad way (like smelling like cheap fake peach air freshener) but in an artistic, perfumey, classic way. Most scents don't use synthetics in this specifically intentional and artistic manner, and that made this a lot more interesting.

Nice one.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

OK, so I'm a day late, but I DO love the SnS, so I'm still joining in!

With massive thanks to Petruccijc, I have a plethora of gents' frags to choose from and hope to work my way through all of them today and tomorrow. I'm saving the Carons for later, so right now I have on my left wrist Opium Pour Homme and on the right, Arpege Pour Homme

Opium Pour Homme
    Basenotes Directory gives the notes as:
    Top Notes
    Star Aniseed, Blackcurrant.
    Middle Notes
    Chinese Galanga, Szechwan Pepper.
    Base Notes
    Fresh Bourbon Vanilla, Tolu Balm, Atlas Cedar.
    And says this is a sweet male fragrance modeled on the original women's Poium perfume.

I didn't get sweet to start with. I got a blast of what I think of as 'aftershave' that is very definitely masculine. When I first got into perfumes, this was a very off-putting note/accord for me and stopped me trying a lot of masculine frags. I'm over that now, thankfully, but I do still find it drowns everything else out for me. (I think this might be a patchouli accord, but that's as close as I can get to pinning it down.)
    As it warms and opens up on the skin, that strident note is fading a bit and becoming a little sweeter and richer. I do get some woods and spice and it seems to be getting a bit creamier. It is still very butch.

Arpege Pour Homme
    Top Notes
    Nectarine, Pink Pepper, Seville Orange, Neroli.
    Middle Notes
    Nutmeg, Iris, Mat, Jasmine.
    Base Notes
    Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Precious Woods.

This is a masculine? It smells like a feminine with its sweet, light opening. Now it has been on skin for a few minutes, it's becoming more woody and warm, but its staying light and playful, and very enjoyable. I'd say this was a nice perfume, rather than a men's fragrance. Actually, I like it better on me than the women's Arpege. I will be trying this again and putting it on my 'if I come across a bottle for cheap cheap' list.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Ok, MIA yesterday [ because I was up at 1 am, to drive J to college]...
    But I was delightfully butch in Yatagan.
    Can't get more macho than THAT ;-)

I went for a second opposite gender day in H.O.T Always, and you could've fooled me as it behaved like a nice polite feminine leather scent. An enjoyable experience.

Blog Entries

I too did a double duty gender bender and wore Aramis today. My skin doesn't make this break feminine until about three hours after application, when the cumin finally settles down. The cumin is very prominent on me, as well as the patchouli. Dries down like a glorious, classic chypre should.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Egoiste - i love it!