Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Appreciation Thread : Fuel For Life (for Men) by Diesel (plus youtube review)

Damn, I was hoping not post in one of the Appreciation Threads, but I need to now :

Quote Originally Posted by étincelle View Post
    I think robes08/l'homme youtube reviews are wonderful and I hate to be a pedant but a lot of his pronunciation of French words and names is incorrect.

Fougère should be pronounced foo-z(g)heir.

Saint Laurent in YSL should be prounced Sohn (n is nasilised) Loh-rhon.
    I think you should take into consideration that there is more than one french. I am assuming that because L'homme is Canadian, that he is more versed in Quebecquis french. Some of the prononciation is different.

Quote Originally Posted by L"homme View Post
    Je suis francais , j'ai aller a l'ecole francaise , je pense c'est toi qui ne connait rien. Je connais comment prononcer Fougere et Saint Laurent. Ces pas des mots qui son dure a prononcer.
    Exactly. If you were taught french a certain way in growing up ( in school), that is the french you ( he) will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    Did you mean:
    Je suis français, je suis allé à l’école française, je pense que c’est toi qui ne sait rien. Je sais prononcer fougère et Saint Laurent. Ce ne sont pas des mots qui sont difficile à prononcer.
    ?

I'm sorry, l"homme, but I have to side with étincelle here. I am a french teacher. If you are french, then you speak and write in a dialect with which I am totally unfamiliar. I would have ignored that observation if you hadn't attacked étincelle with the words "je pense c'est toi qui ne connait rien" (which is very bad french, by the way)

Keep up the great work with the reviews, though!
    Yes, Trufflehunter. You are unfamiliar with L'homme's french. Its different, but still correct. I hear this debate go on and on at my University between international students all the time.

If you are a french teacher, shouldn't you know about Quebec's french being slightly different ??

I don't mean to pick an argument Trufflehunter, but I just thought that étincelle and you are being a tad harsh on L'homme.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 30th September 2009 at 02:58 AM.

Default Re: Appreciation Thread : Fuel For Life (for Men) by Diesel (plus youtube review)

Mark, I must humbly apologise. I didn't realise you were quebecois. Now it all makes sense. My ears are so tuned to 'standard' french, at first listen I got completely confused by your accent and forgot how very, very different canadian french is. I was watching a canadian movie recently and could barely understand a word without the subtitles!
    People need to realise, though, that certain words are pronounced very differently from standard french. 'fougère' is one of them. As is the way canadians pronounce Laurent, where the last syllable rhymes with 'vin' rather than 'vent' as in standard french. That's what caught étincelle and me by surprise!
    Again, sorry mate. And keep up the great work. I love your passion.

Trufflehunter, Sorry about being rude also. Caught me by surprise that people are saying my french was wrong. I was starting to wonder what language I was taught my whole life. lol

Ok...can we get back to fragrances here!!! L'homme, do you think you can respond to my post. I'd like to know what your opinion of Burberry for men is.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Ok...can we get back to fragrances here!!! L'homme, do you think you can respond to my post. I'd like to know what your opinion of Burberry for men is.
    sure can my man

Burberry for Men :

More of a winter/Fall fragrance (which the most successful burberry frags are)
    Great for the office/school (everyday type of frag)
    Long lasting Frag (stayed on my skin 6-8 hrs)
    it ends kind of woody, kind of sweet which i really like (musky vanilla ?)
    very simple scent but don't get me wrong it's not a cheap smell
    versatile (god knows I love frags that are versatile)
    I get some jasmine and sandalwood in this one
    If your a cedar fan too you'll love it
    it's nothing groundbreaking, but hey it's a suitable everyday workhorse

hope that helps

sure can my man

Burberry for Men :

hope that helps
    Completely agree. I love the original Burberry. It was missing from my collection for years, but I recently found a little 30ml bottle ridiculously cheap which gave me the opportunity of re-familiarizing myself with it. Sweet but classy. Very versatile, particularly in the cooler months. Hasn't dated at all imo.

Just a thought L'homme why dont you have a review on the names themselves!
    maybe do a video on how to pronounce french terms and french houses related to perfumery.
    I have a COMPLETELY different pronunciation on YSL and how surprise I am to found out how they were supposed to be pronounced.

I dont care if I pronounce them with quebec-canadian pronounciation. It just makes them more "sophisticated" when you say them properly.

sure can my man

Burberry for Men :

hope that helps
    You think it's a fall/winter fragrance? I kinda disagree. Brit and London, fall definetely. Burberry for men I think can be worn all year round, but I think of it and I think spring. I compare it to Dolce & Gabbana ph, and I believe you thought that could be worn all year round as well. To me they're both citrucy fresh and somewhat formal fragrances. I usually wear the Burberry on bright days, with lighter colors.

btw-The Beat is definetely a spring/summer scent. It's not heavy enough to really be a fall/winter fragrance.