Code of Conduct

Question Guerlain's "new" Vetiver

Sorry if this thread is a double-up with one previously created (I seem to recall something being said about the new Vetiver, but cant find it in the forum).

I'm wearing the 'new' Guerlain Vetiver today (repackaged again in the tall, rectangular Habit Rouge bottle). I notice a very distinct change to the Vetivers of old. In all honesty, I could not wear the 'older' Vetivers (save for perhaps the vintage EDC), but this one has a heart that feels more citrusy than those that have gone before it. There is also a faint wisp of something elusively woody or incensey as this transitions that I never really felt in the previous incarnations. I. LOVE. THIS!

Has anyone else compared the two and found similar insights?

** Please merge this mods if the original thread in question reappears **

Default Re: Guerlain's "new" Vetiver

I don't have the new one, only the old one but I have tried the new one recently and for me I don't notice very much difference.

Its odd. No matter HOW MANY times I've tried to wear Vetiver in the past, I found it was wearing me.

I can't really attribute this 180 turnaround to anything other a tweak in the formula. I find it SO much easier to wear now!

I'll have to check it out. This may sound a bit blasphemous as I've always considered myself a big fan of Guerlain Vetiver, but a couple weeks ago, I pulled out my Vetiver and just didn't like it anymore. I also did the same with my vintage bottle. Something about it just doesn't ever sit right on my skin. I'll have to try the new one. For some reason the Vetiver shower gel from the early '00s was really good and I wish they'd make a scent that smells like that. Sport and Frozen don't quite hit the mark.

Yes, Guerlain Vetiver has been reformulated and the new juice is indeed a bit greener, more citrusy and more transparent. I had no issue with the previous formulation, I am under the impression that the new one is now even more a summer vetiver and might lack a bit of substance for winter wears.

Im keen to try/buy the "new" Vetiver extreme then too. If this formula is any promise of that which the Extreme is based on, then I'm in.

I wonder if Guerlain will create Vetiver L'Extrait, as they have Habit Rouge... it wouldn't surprise me, in light of their current trend to produce fragrance lines in 4's and 5's, and their obvious attempts to regulate flacons/releases and packaging. "One" just seems like an awfully uncomfortable number of masculine extraits.

Interesting...the old "new" vetiver was already a reformulated of the older vintage (70s, 80s, 90s even) versions, right? So this one is double-new, i.e. a change on top of the vetiver on the shelves a year ago?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thats what I'm feeling. I *swear* I could never wear it before (aside from the vintage 70's EDC).

If the mods are with us, that other thread that Dimitri is thinking of is this one:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/271...een-repackaged

Yep! Thats the one Dr_Rudi!

Seems opinions are divided. I detect a noticeable difference.

Cool Re: Guerlain's "new" Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    Yes, Guerlain Vetiver has been reformulated and the new juice is indeed a bit greener, more citrusy and more transparent. I had no issue with the previous formulation, I am under the impression that the new one is now even more a summer vetiver and might lack a bit of substance for winter wears.
    You are correct!

But I'm still confused.

What you're describing is what I smelled in the newest frosted glass vetiver, not the "Habit Rouge" bottle, either as vetiver or vetiver extreme. To confuse the issue further, i scored a bottle of the vintage formula (the 'old/old') and quite enjoyed it. I had a few drops left and wanted to replace it. I figured I should try the frosted glass to see if I missed or was overpowered by the tobacco opening and strong sillage.

What I got was exactly what you describe.

I felt it was settling for less, so I got another old vintage bottle, with the golden colored juice--

I was in a bit of a hurry and the shop was closing so while i smelled it on my skin, I did not wait after all it was exactly like the vintage bottle i had just finished, right?

Wrong.

The drydown was horrible. Well, unless you wanted to smell like you were wearing a lightweight Route du Vettiver. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if I can exchange it for the frosted glass (if you're following all this promote yourself to super-addict status) or find an older bottle that hasn't spoiled.

What the hell, maybe I'll get Annick Goutal's or Vetiver Extraordinaire

(Does anyone know where to score/test Carlo Corinto Vetiver?)

*sigh*

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I'll have to check it out. This may sound a bit blasphemous as I've always considered myself a big fan of Guerlain Vetiver, but a couple weeks ago, I pulled out my Vetiver and just didn't like it anymore. I also did the same with my vintage bottle. Something about it just doesn't ever sit right on my skin. I'll have to try the new one. For some reason the Vetiver shower gel from the early '00s was really good and I wish they'd make a scent that smells like that. Sport and Frozen don't quite hit the mark.
    This happens to me sometimes too Indie. I find that I really have to be in the mood to wear Vetiver. Sometimes, it's just ALL wrong. But usually, this passes and then I come back to it and I love it intensely. Weird. Oh to clarify, I'm talking about the vintage EdT. NOT the EdC. Because, like Dimitri said above, the vintage EdC is flawless.

When I just want a whisper of the scent but just don't want to deal with the whole shebang, I wear Vetiver Extreme which is confusingly named because it has even less vetiver than the EdT and whole bunch of fresh/ozonic notes. Vetiver Pour Elle just does NOT do it for me.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Yes. Vetiver 2011 is very different to the vintage. Its also much better than vetiver post 2000. The problem with the frosted-glassed vetivers for me was the tobacco, which was too intense. This current version is more linear, more crisp and definately more wearable. There is also something medicinal and clinical about this new version which I love. Oh! And the new one also has less tonka bean in the base which makes it a tad less sweet. Being a huge vintage vetiver fan, I can say I actually like this a lot. I got put off vetiver when they released it in the ribbed bottle. This new version is a winner in my books.

So if I'm understanding this right, what we've concluded is:

rectangular "HR" bottle with golden juice = pre-2000
    ribbed/frosted bottle with green juice = 2000-2011
    rectangular "HR" bottle with green juice = 2011 version

?

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    So if I'm understanding this right, what we've concluded is:

rectangular "HR" bottle with golden juice = pre-2000
    ribbed/frosted bottle with green juice = 2000-2011
    rectangular "HR" bottle with green juice = 2011 version

?
    I think so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't another distinguishing feature of the two HR-style bottles that the pre-2000 one has a gold cap, whereas the 2011 one's cap is silver?

Just noticed that Guerlian's website stll has the ribbed bottle. I like the HR bottle better. Now for me, can someone comment on EDT vs Extreme? I was inclined to get the extreme but don't know which is better. I've only smelled it once on a strip years ago.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Now for me, can someone comment on EDT vs Extreme? I was inclined to get the extreme but don't know which is better.
    Of course "better" is entirely subjective. For me, the EDT wins every time. I have this year purchased the Extreme and the Frozen, and for all-round wearabilty, the EDT is still in front.

The Extreme juice is a darker green and initally smells a little more refined than the regular EDT. The smell is a little warmer, a little deeper. Extreme is more 'spice' whilst the EDT is more 'floral'. Extreme is 'heavier', the EDT is 'lighter'. I find that longevity is better from the EDT than the Extreme.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 29th May 2011 at 02:04 AM.

I want to sample this for sure!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Sorry if this thread is a double-up with one previously created (I seem to recall something being said about the new Vetiver, but cant find it in the forum).

I'm wearing the 'new' Guerlain Vetiver today (repackaged again in the tall, rectangular Habit Rouge bottle). I notice a very distinct change to the Vetivers of old. In all honesty, I could not wear the 'older' Vetivers (save for perhaps the vintage EDC), but this one has a heart that feels more citrusy than those that have gone before it. There is also a faint wisp of something elusively woody or incensey as this transitions that I never really felt in the previous incarnations. I. LOVE. THIS!

Has anyone else compared the two and found similar insights?

** Please merge this mods if the original thread in question reappears **
    Can u post a pic of the bottle your talking about. I am a bit confused, but that doesn't much!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Can u post a pic of the bottle your talking about. I am a bit confused, but that doesn't much!
    If you check the other thread referred to above, you'll see an image there:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/271...een-repackaged

This new version got a lot more vetiver than the old one.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I have sampled the ribbon bottle 2000-2010 rip! And the new one wich I have purchased and the new is more refined and classier and it does not have the ''raid style'' citrusy outburst. Now it is very vetiverish and green a little smoky and very woodsy and strangly I get a very very tiny minthy smell but I guess it's just the vetiver complexity that delivers that.

To resume the 2000-2010 Rip bottle and the new bottle 2010-.... Are completly different I repeat they are completly different, the 2000-2011 rip bottle juice is almost vulgar compared to the new. Good joob Guerlain!

I have the newest version in the tall clear bottle. I don't love it, so I don't wear it. Then I tried the ribbed bottle version and liked it much better. I think it boils down to the fact that I really enjoy tobacco more so than vetiver. I think Guerlain should just bring back the previous version in the ribbed bottle and rename it "Citrus & Tobacco".
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    Yeah! I tried the new one and it's more citrusy, less green, less earthy than the older one IMO.
    Untrue the new one is less citrusy more green and more woody. But you are probably commenting the ribbon/stripe bottle thinking that it's the new one.

I was just speaking with a high level sales manager (from the boutique) and mentioned the new bottle and juice and she started telling me the juice was the same... so I started rolling my eyes and asking her if she'd smelled them...

I'm no Nez but I do detect a clear difference in these two. The ribbed bottle to me is much sharper, and has that dry raspy almost ashy tobacco note while the new HR bottle smells smoother and greener with a more polished blended feel. The older ribbed bottle texturally feels like sandpaper since it's jagged and bracing and looks brownish green in my mind, while the new one feels more like a water drop that's shiny and yellow and green. Don't know if that makes any sense, just my feelings.

The new one's probably easier to wear but I prefer the challenge of the older bottle. Gonna go by myself a backup now actually.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    the new HR bottle smells smoother and greener with a more polished blended feel. The older ribbed bottle texturally feels like sandpaper since it's jagged and bracing and looks brownish green in my mind, while the new one feels more like a water drop that's shiny and yellow and green. Don't know if that makes any sense, just my feelings.
    That's correct I get the same sensation... It's funny they also told me that the juice is the same.(bullshit lol)

Also on the new package you can read the following:

''The mythical VETIVER fragrance recaptures its original bottle. A scent that evokes the duality of nature: disorder and harmony, freshness and warmth.''

''The scent of earth after the rain, the cool breeze of an earthy morning, the aroma of tobacco... each of these was a source of inspiration wich gave rise to my first perfume, VETIVER'' Jean-Paul Guerlain.
    "You can look at a picture for a week an never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life." Joan Miro

I have both bottles and have done several side-to-side tests after reading the (conflicting) reports on here. I honestly can't tell much difference, and those present may be due partly to ageing of the juice. Perhaps also due to suggestion, based on bottle-shape and reformulation-paranoia. If pushed I would say the ribbed bottle has a tad more citrus sparkle in the opening. I was all set to back up the ribbed bottles after reading initial dispatches; now I'm not going to bother. If they are different, my nose isn't sensitive enough to detect it and I wear it for me, so why worry?

Maybe it's not a reformulation maybe they just changed the quality of ingredients? It can have a huge impact... And the price went up.
    "You can look at a picture for a week an never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life." Joan Miro

Quote Originally Posted by sumandre View Post
    Yes. Vetiver 2011 is very different to the vintage. Its also much better than vetiver post 2000. The problem with the frosted-glassed vetivers for me was the tobacco, which was too intense. This current version is more linear, more crisp and definately more wearable. There is also something medicinal and clinical about this new version which I love. Oh! And the new one also has less tonka bean in the base which makes it a tad less sweet. Being a huge vintage vetiver fan, I can say I actually like this a lot. I got put off vetiver when they released it in the ribbed bottle. This new version is a winner in my books.
    This is exactly it sumandre.

I finally pulled the trigger and added this classic to my collection. I love the new formulation. This is what I want in a vetiver fragrance. I had been holding out in purchasing it till now. Although I respected GV as a classic, I found the frosted glass formulation had too much citrus and tobacco featured. It was also too sharp and soapy.

I agree the new version, is all about the vetiver once again. It is smooth and beautifully blended. The citrus and tobacco has been toned down and the vetiver is greener and woodier. It's now just this beautiful, fresh, crisp, clean and natural fragrance. I absolutely love it

I find now with this version, its more easily wearable because it is lighter. I will definitely be wearing it as my go-to fragrance for lounging around since it is such a great casual and relaxing fragrance.

Guerlain has done a great job updating this fragrance to something I can now enjoy and wear
    Last edited by Riley; 30th January 2012 at 04:02 AM.

I have the new tall bottle only. However, I have sampled the older ribbed bottle many times and as recently as yesterday at Saks which still had a ribbed bottle tester sitting on the counter. They are not even close to the same. I'm wondering if my bottle is the EXTREME version and just came in the wrong bottle or something. Mine is so powerful that one spray will permeate the room in seconds!!!!! I put it on and wait until it settles down.

It's awesome...

I have it, not sure if I like it well enough to keep it. Trying to get rid of it.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    I have it, not sure if I like it well enough to keep it. Trying to get rid of it.
    Yeah, I can't wear this stuff. Unfortunately, most fragrances either make me sneeze or nauseate me. This one falls into the latter arena, even though I enjoy the smell. I am just too sensitive to chemicals.
    Last edited by stuigi; 2nd February 2012 at 11:46 AM.

I found it almost the same, a tad more longevity. But I havn't got the chance to compare them hand - by - hand, so my opinion must be taken with a grain of salt.

[QUOTE=jclaxton78;2436864]Yeah, I can't wear this stuff. Unfortunately, most fragrances either make me sneeze or nauseate me. This one falls into the latter arena, even though I enjoy the smell. I am just too sensitive to chemicals.

Sorry sir but you make me sneeze and nauseate with your comment.
    Last edited by stuigi; 2nd February 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator View Post
    Sorry sir but you make me sneeze and nauseate with your comment.
    Did I hurt your feelings?

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    Did I hurt your feelings?
    No sir try again and I wish you better chance next time.

Basenotes Plus

This childish exchange will stop or the thread will be closed. Please stay on topic.

Sur la Plage

I thought the new version was OK, but prefer the previous version. I like the tobacco - put it back.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 2nd February 2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Hello -

Interesting, Mario.

Where did you end up? Do you still have that gold cap Vintage Vetiver? Do you prefer the frosted glass 2000 and have you tried the newest formulation in the Habit Rouge style bottle?

Curious...I have all but the latest (and older versions as well).

Also - the real reason I am writing. Carlo Corinto Vintage Vetyver lasted less than two hours in my possession. It is one of the worst-smelling vetiver scents I have ever pursued (I actually spent over $100 including shipping/tax for a 100ml bottle)!

I wanted to see if you ever ended up with that - it shocked me. And, I confirmed with the seller (and scent pyramids, which an accurate one is hard to find, but I did)...the juice was in perfect form. I don't want to complain too loud - I returned the bottle and a full refund was issued (minus my shipping costs - c'est la vie).

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    You are correct!

But I'm still confused.

What you're describing is what I smelled in the newest frosted glass vetiver, not the "Habit Rouge" bottle, either as vetiver or vetiver extreme. To confuse the issue further, i scored a bottle of the vintage formula (the 'old/old') and quite enjoyed it. I had a few drops left and wanted to replace it. I figured I should try the frosted glass to see if I missed or was overpowered by the tobacco opening and strong sillage.

What I got was exactly what you describe.

I felt it was settling for less, so I got another old vintage bottle, with the golden colored juice--

I was in a bit of a hurry and the shop was closing so while i smelled it on my skin, I did not wait after all it was exactly like the vintage bottle i had just finished, right?

Wrong.

The drydown was horrible. Well, unless you wanted to smell like you were wearing a lightweight Route du Vettiver. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if I can exchange it for the frosted glass (if you're following all this promote yourself to super-addict status) or find an older bottle that hasn't spoiled.

What the hell, maybe I'll get Annick Goutal's or Vetiver Extraordinaire

(Does anyone know where to score/test Carlo Corinto Vetiver?)

*sigh*

Mario
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I did a side by side test of all my vetivers recently. I liked the Guerlain especially in the drydown.
    Now I'm curious to check this new version. It did seem different when I smelled it at the mall.

I have an October, 2010 one in the older-looking bottle, HR style with silver cap, and it does seem smoother, with less citrus and tobacco. However, I haven't tried the one from the ribbed bottle in about two years so this is based upon memory.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st May 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I thought the new version was OK, but prefer the previous version. I like the tobacco - put it back.
    I feel the same way. I have bought a couple of extra bottles of the previous version because I like it so much.

The new version is good, more austere and restrained, more narrowly focused on the vetiver, but I like the additional warmth and expansiveness of the previous version.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Also - the real reason I am writing. Carlo Corinto Vintage Vetyver lasted less than two hours in my possession. It is one of the worst-smelling vetiver scents I have ever pursued (I actually spent over $100 including shipping/tax for a 100ml bottle)!
    I have a very different opinion of vintage Carlo Corinto Vetyver. It's one of my favorite vetivers of all time, and I find the drydown to be especially satisfying.

Basenotes Institution

I have yet to smell the 'new' one. Reading this thread all the way through, it doesn't sound like I want to.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

The ribbed bottle one was too harsh for me. I think I can wear the new one. I also have Vetiver de Puig, so it's not an issue of hating all strong vetivers on my part. As others have said, if you like sharp citrus and tobacco with your vetiver, then the ribbed bottle is the way to go. If you want a smoother frag that is more focused on vetiver, then the newest may be best. That said, I have a feeling a lot of people couldn't tell the difference if they did a blind side-by-side test and never read this thread.

Basenotes Plus

Personally, I think each bottle of Guerlain Vetiver (including the masterpiece Vintage Eau de Cologne) in all of its incarnations is a scent indicative of its time & place. The ribbed bottle (2000 formulation) is, to me, a fantastic bottle of fragrance - benchmark. Why? Not just because it's Guerlain, but because it offers a more open burst of citrus (the way a lot of vetivers have gone - Tom Ford Grey Vetiver being one) while also the wonderful, rich tobacco accord (though not as prominent as earlier formulations). To some, Guerlain's newest offering may be more focused on vetiver. Personally, it doesn't matter to me. It is subjective to taste of the individual and, most importantly, will be what virtually all others are weighed against. Still, the benchmark of the magnificent root!

I think each and every bottle has a uniqueness that previous and later formulations don't replicate. I look forward to trying it, in time. But for now, the 2000 formulation in the ribbed bottle is a pinnacle in my collection of vetiver - and I have a lot (including a large vertical of Guerlain from various vintages and concentrations).

Good point, Bigsly - it is a rare few that will be able to discern...and probably most of us who have this passion for scent who take the time to notice and state our subjective differences will be the only ones who take the time to assert our opinions. Always great to hear yours.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 22nd May 2012 at 03:17 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

+1

Mainly a matter of taste as imo all different Guerlain Vetiver formulations are well blended! One that loves tobacco will go for either vintage or 2000 ribbed and frosted bottle. One that loves it more clean with less citrus and tobacco will go for the 2010 newest version and when one wants it clean, more easy, woody and spicy, might go for Vetiver Extreme!
    I own a bottle of the the ribbed 2000, the extreme version and a 6ml sample of the newest 2010 version and love them all to bits on their own specific qualities. Regarding the differences between 2000 and 2010 bottle I concur with Bigsly, adding the heavy 2000 formulation is more for outside and the smoother 2010 version more for inside and office.

Originally Posted by ericrico
    Personally, it doesn't matter to me. It is subjective to taste of the individual and, most importantly, will be what virtually all others are weighed against. Still, the benchmark of the magnificent root!
    ericrico
    Last edited by Slayerized; 22nd May 2012 at 10:54 AM.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)