Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Talking FRAG FACE OFF DAY Today: Chergui vs Fahrenheit

Was out sampling today. Since none of my reviews show up I figured I'll share some of the 'first impressions' here today.
    I tried Dior's Homme, Homme Sport, Higher and Fahrenheit, Aigner Evolution, AdP Colonia, Paul Smith Story, Hermes' Un Jardin series, and Chergui.

Dior Homme - the top notes won't grab you but it smells 'classy'. One for my skin test list.

Dior Homme Sport - Huh? Same old, same old. Pass.

Dior Higher - Not bad. Worth a second closer look.

Aigner Evolution - a 'new leather' scent worth exploring.

AdP Colonia - Deliciously fresh, I could drink this stuff!

Paul Smith Story - Green & fresh. Worth a skin test.

Un Jardin sur le Nil - No kidding about the green mango! A tad too feminine imo.
    Un Jardin en Mediterranee - I love the grapefruit opening! Quality is evident.
    Un Jarden Apres la Mousson - best of the series, fresh yet intriguing.

(JC Ellena is a genius but his best works seem to share the same ethereal, transient quality i.e. longevity issues. But these are safe buys for the home. Your spouse can wear it or else it makes for an excellent air freshner. )

SKIN TEST FACE OFF
    Left arm - Fahrenheit by Dior
    Right arm - Chergui by Serge Lutens

OK, they don't exactly belong to the same category. Makes it easier to compare, no? An 80's classic vs a reputable scent from a niche house.

CHERGUI. First impression: Amazing. Smells like an expensive perfume for a gentleman. The development is complex and the drydown may be a little sweet for some but it retains its aura of masculinity. A scent women could easily love on their guy. In fact a young woman was leaning towards me throughout the entire journey home.

FAHRENHEIT. A love or hate relationship. Surprisingly futuristic. I smelled new leather, hot tires and burning plastic. I can't see any woman wearing this. So if you want a macho scent, this is it. If your gal is into bikes and leather, this might just be the aphrodisiac to get her where you want her to be.

I was told Fahrenheit is a sillage monster so when the SA oversprayed it I got a little worried. My worry was unfounded. On my way back in the train, all I could smell was Chergui and that was with a light spray some 30 minutes before Fahrenheit. 6-8 hours on, I can still smell the amberish incense from Chergui but nothing from Fahrenheit. Even with that heavier spray earlier. Reformulation strikes again, huh?

VERDICT
    =======
    SCENT:
    Chergui- if you like classics that smell natural yet expensive
    Fahrenheit- if you prefer the unconventional, avant garde
    (I can see myself wearing both - oh wait, I just did!)

SILLAGE
    Chergui

LONGEVITY
    Chergui

RATING:
    Chergui 4.7 out of 5
    Fahrenheit: 4.0 out of 5

NOTE: Just my humble opinion of course. Feel free to add or criticise or whatever. It's been a fun olfactory adventure!
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 2nd September 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Default Re: FRAG FACE OFF DAY Today: Chergui vs Fahrenheit

I don't get it. These are nothing alike, that makes them impossible to compare. Apples and oranges are nothing alike, does that make them easy to compare? Well, they are both round.. both Chergui and Fahrenheit are in glass bottles..

Basenotes Plus

OK point. 'Face off' maybe too loaded a term. 'Review' perhaps?
    Driving a Nissan Skyline GTR vs driving a Toyota. Different rides, different handling but not that hard to compare performance-wise. As long as we are not comparing the component nuts and bolts and fuel injection systems.

Thanks for sharing Diamondflame! Great thoughts on all of them. Chergui is my favorite from the whole SL line, so I'm with you there. I haven't really tried Fahrenheit, but it sounds like I should!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

As a "newbie" I did comparisons of frags that had little in common. It was a great way to understand frags. However, those who already have this knowledge probably won't find such a comparison very interesting, as genvy5 said.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    As a "newbie" I did comparisons of frags that had little in common. It was a great way to understand frags. However, those who already have this knowledge probably won't find such a comparison very interesting, as genvy5 said.
    Lol, that's true. I'm just sharing a noob perspective here. For other noobs. I really don't expect the experts to pop in really. I'm sure they have their noses turned up somewhere else. It just so happen these were the 2 scents I tried on my skin today. Sorry for the rather misleading title. If I really wanted to compare, I'd have picked two from the same category of scents, at similar price points and perhaps sharing a few common accords or base notes.

Btw, if I ever turn into a scent snob down the road, pls shoot me dead.

Don't be outrageous DF. There's no snobbery going on here. Scent snobs are those who bash houses for personal reasons, or perfumers, or genres (aquatics!), or ingredients (synthetic!), etc.

Basenotes Plus

It's ok, genvy (btw is that short for Gucci Envy?). Perhaps I posted this in the wrong forum. 'Just starting out' seems more appropriate.. Anyway this was never meant to be an in-depth nor serious comparison. (See that big grin smiley nxt to the topic?). More like a 'celebrity deathmatch'.

Cheers.

I think you posted it in the right forum. Yes, it's short for Gucci Envy. genvy, genvy2, 3, and 4 all belong to me. I just messed up on creating the first four way back when. bahaha.

Sur la Plage

Thanks for your reviews Diamondflame.

I personally would choose Fahrenheit over Chergui. Fahrenheit is a unique classic that I have always enjoyed. I didn't think Chergui was bad, it just didn't wow me - and for that price it has to for me to want to purchase it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Thanks petruccijc and jrd4t.
    Btw, can anyone confirm if Fahrenheit has indeed been reformulated? It just doesn't seem to be the same scent I smelled 20 years ago...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Thanks petruccijc and jrd4t.
    Btw, can anyone confirm if Fahrenheit has indeed been reformulated? It just doesn't seem to be the same scent I smelled 20 years ago...
    My guess is yes - because it does not smell the same to me either.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I love both with Fahrenheit being a frag I grew up with; but Chergui gets more use these days and is currently in my top 5.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

More than a few have said that Rykiel Woman Not for Men! is very similar to Chergui, but I've never tried it (every attempt at a sample swap has failed; LOL). I do have some of the Rykiel and enjoy it once in a while. The Fahrenheit is the kind of frag I detest, so that's just personal preference.

Dependent

Thanks, I appreciate the review. Both scents I regard very highly. For me though Fahrenheit has stronger sillage but Chergui has better longevity, probably due to it's EDP strength. "new leather, hot tires and burning plastic"? I think the violet leaf strikes again. Yes I believe from the time the Fahrenheit box was changed from the pic below to the current one, there has been a reformulation.

Last edited by MFJ; 3rd September 2009 at 03:40 AM.

reformulated again ! aiyo !
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

BINGO

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    OK point. 'Face off' maybe too loaded a term. 'Review' perhaps?
    Driving a Nissan Skyline GTR vs driving a Toyota. Different rides, different handling but not that hard to compare performance-wise. As long as we are not comparing the component nuts and bolts and fuel injection systems.
    Having driven a imported Skyline GTR, I'm gonna have to say it'll out handle most STOCK Supra's (if thats the Toyota your thinking).

Sorry to go off topic.

I've worn Fahrenheit twice now. First time I got the typical gasoline note for a couple hours until the end which smells awesome! Second time, the gasoline note was more intense (maybe increased skin hydration that day?). So intense I couldn't wear it for more than 3 hours (2 sprays max).

To just answer the question -- Chergui over Fahrenheit, any day.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather