Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Thursday 3 September-09

Good morning all! Today is the Boyfriend and my mom's birthday.Haven't really planned anything BIG,but my mom will get flowers and hopefully the Artbook I ordered for Eirik will arrive today in the mail! Have planned to do some real cooking today too Sotd is Mitsouko.Sending lots of good thoughts and energy to Kewart too!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 3rd September 2009 at 05:09 AM.

Default Re: SotD Thursday 3 September-09

Good Morning all,

Ines, have fun with the cooking and Happy Birthday wishes to mom and boyfriend. Mmmm, Mitsouko makes the world a better place.

I am off to put myself to bed in a few minutes and think i will put a little Ce Soir ou Jamais by AG on, roses are nice for sweet dreams.

Hope everyone's day is fabu, big hugs for all.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Happy birthdayses!
    It's my best friend birthday today, too - seems like sep 3rd is a popular day to be born on.
    In a moment I'll be off to the airport to see off another friend, who will be traipsing about South America for 6 months post-uni. I'm so jealous but will miss her horribly of course.

I'll be in Sensuous today - old hat for all you statesiders, but New! Improved! over here: it's been in stores for all of 2 days. It ain't half bad, is it? Nice creamy-smooth vibe that's similar to the one in Tam Dao/AL no 23, lotsa candied orange... Very yummy.

Oh and to whoever posted (VM? Clemmie? Gold fish memory, me) about the "albatross" bottle of Voile D: yes, that was me. You sent me on a google fit, I'd never heard of the expression! Love it, though. I'll make a point of using it in daily conversation more often, if only to be able to deftly refer to Coleridge.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Thumbs up Re: SotD Thursday 3 September-09

Vincent Roubert and François Coty' s
    KNIZE TEN

This perfume was created in 1924 by Vincent Roubert ( the nose of the famous IRIS GRIS for Jacques Fath ) and François Coty, the man who invented all the modern perfumery, and it is absolutely modern. KNIZE TEN is another true masterpiece !!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Bulgari BLACK

profumum
    fiore d'ambra

notes : amber gris, opium

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Estee Lauder - Lauder for Men.

Top Notes: Juniper, Clary Sage, Tagete, Anise, Galbanum, Green Notes
    Middle Notes: Jasmin, Carnation, Muguet, Fern, Rose
    Base Notes: Cedarwood, Sandal, Amber, Patchouli, Vanilla, Musk, Moss

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Carnal Flower today, my boss said that I smell of TCP! I love it anyways
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

House twins with Petruccijc in EL's Private Collection. Am wearing a green blouse and, frankly. nothing else will do. I adore the fact that it is so unapologetically green and dry, with no concession whatsoever to sweetness. GOOD! It's different and -- in my view -- completely and utterly 'cool'.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Welcome JessMartinez

And Ineespenes, enjoy the celebrations!

I'm wearing one of my fav Platinum Egoiste.
    Last edited by Jasper; 3rd September 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Welcome, Jess !
    Happiest birthdays to all celebrants ;-)

Roberto- you smell gorgeous ;-)
    Veuve- Sensuous is a very sneaky fragrance- it is so wearable, and can be addictive !
    Soir- no excuses- I bet you're awesome today.

I am wiped today.
    More doctor appointments, last chance to finish J's preps before I work tomorrow, then leave for Princeton.

Madame Rochas for bed, then AL Kama for comfort.

Kisses to all you dear folk.

Welcomewelcome JessMartinez!

Happy birthdays to VA's bestie and Inees Mum and bf. Ooh a fellow capricorn with virgo bf! *Hi 5*

Happily in Boudoir again today.

Have a great day everyone!

Welcome to Jess.
    Happy Birthday to Inees' mother and boyfriend.

My last four-day week of the summer but it will be a four-day weekend, too, so maybe that makes up for it.
    Still working through the things I bought at last weekend's meet-up.

Tom Ford Oud Wood

My first exposure to oud as a note came through a sampling of a number of Montale scents. Those scents are beautiful but they have to be worn with care as they are all powerhouses. The thing that stands out in those scents is what a versatile note oud can be. The mix of slightly sweet, the woody character, and the hint of an almost medicinal edge make it something that perfumers can use to enhance one of or all of those characteristics to design their perfume. Most people's introduction to oud came in Yves St. Laurent's M7 which was designed by Tom Ford. Tom Ford has gone on to his own signature line and part of that is his Private Blend Collection. In 2007 he released his first 12 Private Blends and among them was one called Oud Wood. As the man responsible for most colognoisseur's exposure to oud I was expecting a scent that would rival the Montales in intensity. Instead I got, perhaps, the most easily wearable oud-based scent out there. Oud Wood begins with a light woodiness of rosewood and paired with it is the softness of cardamom. This is a beautifully light beginning as the choice to go with a lighter wood like rosewood which also contains some sweet facets to it makes an excellent lead-in to the heart which is where the oud comes out. The oud appears and it has more intensity than M7 but somehow it is less "loud" than M7 or the Montale ouds. This is probably due to a healthy dose of sandalwood, which is also present. The sandalwood becomes an almost equal partner to the oud and particularly the interplay of the sweeter aspects of both woods intersect amazingly on my skin. The base is a mix of vetiver and vanilla. The vanilla again enhances the sweeter qualities of the woods but the vetiver brings out the medicinal edge of the oud and makes the base have a little more of an edge than the scent has had previously in its development. Oud Wood is a long-lasting scent with modest sillage. It is that modest sillage that I think makes Oud Wood a much more versatile oud-based scent than many of the others out there. I own Oud Wood for precisely that reason because there are some days I want a full-on oud experience without feeling like my cologne is preceding me into the room by five minutes. Oud Wood feels like M7 after its left the club and is getting ready for work in the morning.

Have a Thoughtful Thursday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original)
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Plus

Welcome, Jess!
    Birthday greetings to the celebrants!

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk

Enjoy the day, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I haven't chosen a SotD yet...my watchband still smells quite strongly of last nights sleep scent:

So, eventually it looks like whatever I choose will have to be layered over some base notes of L'air du Désert Marocain. Could be interesting!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Donna Karan Gold edp.
    Lily, amber, acacia, white cloves, gold balm, golden pollen and patchouli.

I think this fragrance is brilliant, a masterpiece. But I'm not finding it all that wearable this morning. Too intensely linear. Too potent. Will have to scrub (sigh!).

Adding later: I didn't scrub, I stuck it out instead, and now I'm glad I did. This stuff is gorgeous! I'm just sensitive lately to extremely potent fragrances until they fade to a whisper.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd September 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Decided to wear some Ajnes today as my mini atomizers appear to be evaporating. I shall probably have used up three more before the day's out, to wit:

Fleur Blanche (oh, the heartbreak when it is gone!)
    Om
    Solaire

I am also testing DelRae Eau Illuminee - greener than I remember, much nicer in fact. Not at all all about the lemon as I first thought on paper.

And to top things off I am checking out Creed Bois de Santal and Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle from Roget & Gallet thanks to Hirch_Duckfinder! A nice, straightfoward sandalwood scent and a refreshing unisex cologne.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I'll be writing up procedural non conformities wrapped in the fragrance of Chanel N 5. Have a great day everyone.
    Your friend is your needs answered. He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing Vanille Noire du Mexique today.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Dans Tes Bras today for me. Tomorrow we are off to a wedding for a long weekend. See everyone next week!

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    Welcome, Jess !
    Happiest birthdays to all celebrants ;-)

Roberto- you smell gorgeous ;-)
    Veuve- Sensuous is a very sneaky fragrance- it is so wearable, and can be addictive !
    Soir- no excuses- I bet you're awesome today.

I am wiped today.
    More doctor appointments, last chance to finish J's preps before I work tomorrow, then leave for Princeton.

Madame Rochas for bed, then AL Kama for comfort.

Kisses to all you dear folk.
    Thanks very very much sweet Chaya, you also semlls always gorgeous..
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 4th September 2009 at 06:57 AM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Perfumes

Well today is my youngest stepson's birthday as well

I'm still enjoying Musc Ravageur. I'll probably switch before the big birthday dinner tonight but for this cool morning it suits me just fine.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

The uber feminine and my fave "pretty" rose, L'Artisan's Drole de Rose today. Makes me think of West Side Story

"I feel pretty,
    Oh, so pretty,
    I feel pretty and witty and bright!
    And I pity
    Any girl who isn't me tonight.

I feel charming,
    Oh, so charming
    It's alarming how charming I feel!
    And so pretty
    That I hardly can believe I'm real"

Last edited by Jane Daly; 3rd September 2009 at 01:37 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    The uber feminine and my fave "pretty" rose, L'Artisan's Drole de Rose today. Makes me think of West Side Story

"I feel pretty,
    Oh, so pretty,
    I feel pretty and witty and bright!
    And I pity
    Any girl who isn't me tonight.

I feel charming,
    Oh, so charming
    It's alarming how charming I feel!
    And so pretty
    That I hardly can believe I'm real"

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. You feel and you are
    Perfumes

Inspired by the Amouage thread - I've decided to try Eau d' Amouage again.

Herby floral with a slight spicy fruit note. "Airy."

Not bad. Not my speed. And there is a musk note that I must be anosmic to because this stuff disappears on me after 2 hours.

ScentBro - To successfully channel Dita, first, I would have to vow to be less lazy about my appearance. Second - I would have to somehow get much paler skin.

Of course the other option is going out as Dita von Teese - slovenly IT chick

I suspect scent is going to be as close as I get.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Lilybelle, completely agree about DK Gold. Also agree about the part that you have to be in the mood for it. I find that to be the case with many perfumes.

Today I'm in the delightfully feminine, romantic and wearable E. Courday Musc et Freesia. I'm really pleased that I got this during the recent meet. It's somehow able to do the "polite, but not boring" and "feminine, but not blousy" and "floral, but not too sweet" -thing perfectly.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Greetings, newbies and oldies!

I'm visiting some of the classic Guerlains in my sample tray because I was so affected by new member Frowned Upon's first post in the Hong Kong Meet-Up.

You've got to check out this excerpt about his love for Vol de Nuit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frowned Upon View Post
    I had already been considering buying Vol de Nuit for weeks now, and was tickled with adumbration all day (perhaps that's why I have that look in front of Melbourne Plaza). From the first time I'd smelled her at the Guerlain counter at Harvey Nichols last month, to the beautiful pictures and background provided in Colette Fellous' Guerlain, to the rave reviews from experts to amateurs alike, I knew this was more than a fleeting encounter. Just as I felt when I'd first read Murakami's South of the Border, West of the Sun, or my first full listen of Colorfinger's Deep in the Heart of the Beast in the Sun, I knew I'd stumbled upon something special, a potential lifetime partner.

So when mr. reasonable suggested a different lavender scent at every house we visited (the man is a vault of knowledge, not only of fragrances, but literature, Asian culture, various genres of music, and probably countless other things), or when Coconut taught me about storage and decanting (could anyone be more helpful, friendly, and understanding?), I tried my best to soak it all in, but all along, I was distracted by a horrible thought: What if someone had bought the last bottle of VdN?

In comparison, everything else I smelled that day was a cleavage peak, a schoolboy crush, a one-night stand, a month-long fling, or at best, a lingering extramarital affair. At that moment, I was a newlywed, waiting in anticipation at the arrival gate for his partner to come home.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    Carnal Flower today, my boss said that I smell of TCP! I love it anyways
    I think you are smelling divine !

Good morning everyone ! Many happy birthday wishes to inees 's mom and boyfriend .
    This morning it's Starlet from a sample pack by Lulubeauty from Etsy . It's a simple gardenia musk - well done, not very oily for a perfume oil .

Have a lovely day everyone !
    ***Welcome JessMartinez too !!
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd September 2009 at 03:02 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

It's like a drier, greener version of Mitsouko.
    The drydown on this is smooth and creamy.
    The tart chypre mellows to a tangy floral jasmine/geranium?.
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd September 2009 at 03:05 PM.

Welcome JessMartinez! You will love it here.

Happy celebratin' and travellin' to those doing so.

I'm off to work wearing Annayake Miyako for the first time. Now I see why it gets so much love here - it's just SO pretty! This was a blind buy of a tester for me; now I can be glad I took the risk!

Oh, wow. I've been leaning towards Vol de Nuit today (since I watched an unopened mint vintage bottle go for over $300 on ebay yesterday) and that marvelous thought from Frowned Upon sealed the deal! Off to use my wee decant...if I close my eyes, I won't miss that propeller bottle nearly so much.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

Welcome JessMartinez!

Just wearing some BBW Japanse Cherry Blossom lotion - one scent where the lotion really is the best version.

Nahema (Guerlain)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

This has nothin' to do with nothin', but just got a bit of good business news, and nobody needs any details, but I just had to vent my excitement somewhere or burst at the seams.

This is working so beautifully for me in this weather, I must have a FB!

Chanel No 5 Sensual Elixir

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    This has nothin' to do with nothin', but just got a bit of good business news, and nobody needs any details, but I just had to vent my excitement somewhere or burst at the seams.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

*joins in happy dance*

YAY!
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

This calls for a celebratory fragrance purchase!

(Easy call, I mean, are there any happy occasions that don't?)

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Donna Karan Gold edp.
    Lily, amber, acacia, white cloves, gold balm, golden pollen and patchouli.

I think this fragrance is brilliant, a masterpiece. But I'm not finding it all that wearable this morning. Too intensely linear. Too potent. Will have to scrub (sigh!).

Adding later: I didn't scrub, I stuck it out instead, and now I'm glad I did. This stuff is gorgeous! I'm just sensitive lately to extremely potent fragrances until they fade to a whisper.
    Good job you didn't scrub! I love me some Gold.

I'm trying out my latest buys from my trip to Grasse, France; Yavana from Galimard.

Top notes: bergamot, orange blossom
    Middle:Lily of the valley, carnation
    Base: Moss, vanilla, amber

I found it initially somewhat similar to Youth Dew, but it's got to be the base that's tricking me. It's a very potent juice which should be used with care. None the less lovely.

Congratulations! Yay! :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by trikkirikki View Post
    Good job you didn't scrub! I love me some Gold.
    I think I like it better at night. For me, scents are daytime and nighttime scents. And some can go either way.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd September 2009 at 04:47 PM.

I bought Precious Heart by Guerlain on a Tax Free some years ago. Haven't used it for a while. Not bad, but I feel very mainstream
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Basenotes Institution

Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain

Nice to be back from my vacation - I missed by BN peeps.

Olivier Dubarno - Turquoise (Thanks Mr. RT for the sample, it smells like Aqua Motu to my nose, pass!)

Quote Originally Posted by Guerlain-lover View Post
    I bought Precious Heart by Guerlain on a Tax Free some years ago. Haven't used it for a while. Not bad, but I feel very mainstream

I love Precious Heart! Over the years I've come to think of it as less "main-stream-smelling" as I did when I first got it. It's that fruityness I suppose...but it's so well done. I have half a bottle left and I'll be sad when it's all gone, it's perfect for summer.

Fab news Quarry!
    Libertine, your boss needs a new nose.

I am in eau de public swimming pool, that stubborn left over chlorine tang. Bleuch.

Quote Originally Posted by trikkirikki View Post

I'm trying out my latest buys from my trip to Grasse, France; Yavana from Galimard.

Did you happen to try Gelsomino? I was curious how indolic the jasmine is, almost bought it unsniffed over the internet.

Kumquat: just LOOK at that beautiful bottle! And as for the glorious juice inside ....

Mmmmmmmm!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Soir is correct, that Sous le Vent bottle is gorgeous! I hadn't seen that particular design yet.

And, speaking of beautiful bottles, I am wearing a TPC sample today, but I'll post a picture of the proper bottle because it's too magnificent not to look at:

Another BEAUTY, Mo! Divine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I posted a thread in the Off Topic forum with a link to this video, where it got little notice and no love. Hopefully someone here will click and chuckle.

lillybelle, I know what you mean about DK Gold. I have to wait for the right day and be patient with it too.

Chaya darling, I sure hope you can slow down a little one of the days!

sakecat, Dita von Teese slovenly? I love the way she dresses, from her haute couture choices to her burlesque costumes. I'm actually a big, big fan and always thought she appears meticulously put-together.

Congrats, Quarry! Whatever it is, I'm happy to gleefully jump up and down with you!

Welcome back, Mike! We missed you too! Okay, some of us missed your SotD pics with the hunky guys, but we really did miss you too!

I'm wearing Le Labo Vetiver 46, courtesy of a sample from rogalal! :wave: This is a very woody vetiver. And smoky, as if a campfire has been built from cedar wood. I think it will be one of my favorite winter vetivers. Thanks, rogalal!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Hello dear BNers! Gosh - there are celebrations for birthdays and fabulous news, plus new folks - happy hugs to all!

SotD for me is Hermes Kelly Caleche

Have a great day...

Welcome, JessMartinez!

Yay for you, Quarry!:wave::bounce:

SOTD is Jolie Madame. Have a lovely day, all.

YAY, Quarry !

(((((Kewart and her mama )))))

Swooooon. ROBERTO...every important man in my life has worn KNIZE 10!!! FAB pic!!

:bounce: QUARRY! :bounce:

Oud_Girl - FAB video...sending it to all my Twittering friends!

Today was One Of Those Days...thank GAWD I was insulated in

"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Institution

Congrats to Quarry !!!

I have liberally doused myself with Beyond Love By Kilian . I was sitting outside just now after my gym trip , thinking about cars and tuberose scents. This is what I think

Beyond Love By Kilian - Hummer ( kind of throbs with beauty )
    Carnal Flower - Mercedes Benz 600 series
    Fracas - Red Corvette

I tell you, the things exercise do to my brain ...........
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd September 2009 at 08:55 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Welcome back, Mike! I wondered where you were. Happy news, Quarry, HURRAY!
    Soir, I'm glad you like the picture of the bottle. It must be new. the last time I looked everywhere for a good one & there was none. It is a handsome thing befitting the golden juice!

Fracas!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Masakï Matsushïma M; Men tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon