Code of Conduct

Thread: Villoresi Uomo

Default Villoresi Uomo

I figured I would just start a new thread.

Is this a safe blind buy? Is it truly similar to Armani pour homme?

Default Re: Villoresi Uomo

if you like "sparkling" fresh scents with touch of herbs, grassy green accord, woods and a soapy mineral water like quality...thn yes, this is a safe buy.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    This also has a 'Tiger balm' note.....If you are happy with that, then go for it....

I'm gonna have to go smell Tiger balm now. what is the tiger balm note?

TIger balm is a medicinal-minty note (I think).
    I haven't found that in Uomo.
    Uomo is a scent where vetiver is dominant, that is a grassy-green scent which is quite distinctive.
    Uomo is different from Armani pour Homme. I like ApH very much, but it is a different sort of green, a fougere style which has mossy notes and a bit of spice.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Its hard to go wrong with LV Uomo !!

Uomo reminds me of Armani EpH before the multiple reformulations. Armani had cedarwood (I believe) and Villoresi has sandalwood. Also in the LV Uomo is vetiver.

I agree that it's hard to go wrong with this one. I was a huge fan of Armani before I started exploring niche fragrances and LV Uomo was one of my first niche purchases almost 3 years ago and I still have never regretted it.

Uomo made a very positive first impression on me, but I would still encourage you to get a sample first.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Although not my favorite of Villoresi's creations, it is an excellent fragrance and I would say this is the safest blind buy of his entire line and a fragrance I can't imagine very many people disliking. If you're to the point where you're starting a thread on basenotes about it, I'd say go ahead and purchase it. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed.

I bought a 50ml bottle from someone on here but I'd still advise a tester
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

Default Villoresi Uomo

Thank God for samples. I really want to like a LV scent. Love the bottles...I want to find the one scent by him that is mainstream and approachable.

I have not found it. I thought Uomo would be it, but I sprayed it on my arm from a sample last night and...not so much. All of the LV scents that I have tried are almost all kitchen spice to my nose. That includes Piper Nigrum, Uomo, Sandalo and Musk.

Wow, for such pretty bottles, these are just not my style. Each and every one has been so spicy.

Tiger Balm as I know it comes in two colours. The orangey colour is more herbal camphorous (spelling?), and the white is more minty camphorous. Great for rubbing on aching muscles and quite stimulating on either side of the temples if you have a headache or want to wake up fast. Imagine burying your nose in a jar of Vicks Vaporub and inhaling deeply and you're getting close. Great stuff!

I haven't picked this note up in Uomo but will look out for it

Uomo for me is what I'd describe 'barber shop' in the classical style but that may not be what many here consider barber shop? It's genteel, probably in my top five and honestly doesn't have any sexy or outstanding note to recommend it - it just smells and makes me feel great. I rate it alongside New York as a geat no nonsense 'go to' guys scent for what it's worth. Different smell but same feel-good factor. There is also a Profumo in a 30 ml bottle and the after-shave lotion rounds it all off nicely . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th November 2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: unresolved spelling issue

Now I know I'm truly a fragrance nut. I just happen to have two partially used official LV Uomo spray samples sitting in my desk drawer at work, of all places! They're generous 2mL samples, one comes with a box and is 50% full, the other is about 25% full. If you're interested, please check my swap thread and PM me.

- Brad
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 4th November 2009 at 05:40 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Banned

I once bought it blind (started a thread after just having ordered....). You can always go wrong, but...I think the replies above and the reviews in the directory have given you accurate hints to what you have to expect.

Only thing I was disappointed with Uomo was its nonexistent longevity and sillage on m skin. Excessive spraying and reapplying is necessary for me. Call it "exquisite"...

Just happen to have some Villoresi samples handy so I dabbed a little Uomo on.

I like it...the sample is about used up since I've tried it 4 or 5 times. The other Villoresi I really like is Spezie.

Let me say that I've only recently gotten into the Villoresi line and I strongly recommend it as a first rate niche collection. Well worth trying...very interesting and quite distinct.

Others are better in describing a scent so I'll leave that to them but Uomo is a good general wear scent that is just unique enough to garner a little attention (as is the entire Villoresi line).
    Last edited by paulmcc; 4th November 2009 at 10:30 PM.

Am I wrong in my "spice" assessment? Do they not all have this note? Is my nose "off"?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Am I wrong in my "spice" assessment? Do they not all have this note? Is my nose "off"?
    I get a mass spice rack smell only from Piper Nigrum.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I've tried only Spezie, Uomo, Vetiver, Piper Nigrum, and Yerbamate. They are all quite different. I don't detect a common note.

There are really no safe blind buys. Just take a look at the reviews: one person loves it, the next hates it. Sometimes a reviewer hates it, then years later changes their mind and says how much they love it now.

You won't know if you like a scent until you try it, period. Buy a sample first.

I like Uomo, but I don't really love it. I don't like Armani Homme. And that means absolutely nothing in relation to whether you should buy it or not, because you are not going to like the same things as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Louslice View Post
    There are really no safe blind buys. Just take a look at the reviews: one person loves it, the next hates it. Sometimes a reviewer hates it, then years later changes their mind and says how much they love it now.

You won't know if you like a scent until you try it, period. Buy a sample first.

I like Uomo, but I don't really love it. I don't like Armani Homme. And that means absolutely nothing in relation to whether you should buy it or not, because you are not going to like the same things as me.
    I just checked out the reviews: 11 positive, one neutral, no negative. Sounds like a real crowd pleaser! But I still stand by my statement that you should try it first. Even the most universally adored perfumes have people who hate them.

I had big expectations for this when I bought it
    it is nice but not great
    nonetheless it is a very unique smell and that in-of itself is hard to find these days
    let us know what you think
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 04/24/2017)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Thumbs up Re: Villoresi Uomo

It's easy to classify Uomo as just nice for it's not a wow-factor scent at all. I believe it really is quite remarkable creation from Mr. Villoresi. So many facets in great balance, not fresh in a banal clean way but rather refreshing, invigorating. To some it's an alternative to Acqua di Parma Colonia, others classify it as a vetiver scent, some think it's spicy and herbal.

They are all right.

Not sure there is such thing as a blind buy but it's hard to imagine someone hating Uomo. Unless you dislike white smoke incense frags like 2 Man and Incense Extreme.

My experience is very similar. I bought it blind, love it, but hardly get any longevity. In the US Caswell Massey carries it and they have 25% off for a few more days - so it's a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    I once bought it blind (started a thread after just having ordered....). You can always go wrong, but...I think the replies above and the reviews in the directory have given you accurate hints to what you have to expect.

Only thing I was disappointed with Uomo was its nonexistent longevity and sillage on m skin. Excessive spraying and reapplying is necessary for me. Call it "exquisite"...

Wink Re: Villoresi Uomo

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Not sure there is such thing as a blind buy but it's hard to imagine someone hating Uomo. Unless you dislike white smoke incense frags like 2 Man and Incense Extreme.
    I assure you mate, there is such thing.

Banned

Has anyone ever experienced the "Extra"-version of Uomo? Seems to exist for many Villoresi-fragrances. Please follow the link (I copied it from another Villoresi-thread; it was there provided by the_good_life).

http://shop.lorenzovilloresi.it/sho_...ice=VILL-UO014

Seems to be similar to Montale's "Extra-oud-oomph"-versions. But...how exactly? Would be glad to hear something about it. I believe...my longevity- and sillage-problems could be solved.
    (It's significantly more expensive, however. But the bottle looks even cooler.)
    Last edited by DesGrieux; 5th November 2009 at 11:06 PM.

I'm wondering if the difference is just that the cap and label are silver plated. They don't mention that in the regular version.

I would like to try the profumo though.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Has anyone ever experienced the "Extra"-version of Uomo? Seems to exist for many Villoresi-fragrances. Please follow the link (I copied it from another Villoresi-thread; it was there provided by the_good_life).

http://shop.lorenzovilloresi.it/sho_...ice=VILL-UO014

Seems to be similar to Montale's "Extra-oud-oomph"-versions. But...how exactly? Would be glad to hear something about it. I believe...my longevity- and sillage-problems could be solved.
    (It's significantly more expensive, however. But the bottle looks even cooler.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    I'm wondering if the difference is just that the cap and label are silver plated. They don't mention that in the regular version.
    Possibly. I've searched a bit. There is a "Parfum"-version which runs 140 € for 30ml (in a crystal bottle - 400€). Obviously the "Extra"-version is just what you mentioned.