Code of Conduct

Default Advice for a Newcomer

I read the rules but I'm not sure if this may be straying from the subject. I've only recently gotten interested in fragrances. In a different forums, some members were speaking about cheaper fragrances and I instantly thought of all the kids at my school that just spray Axe on. I decided to try Adidas Moves but it had mixed feedback. After googling more and more, I found this forums and read more posts. It really seems like the community here has much more to share than a couple of kids looking for cheap smells (Not that Adidas Moves is that bad, if you like it). It just doesn't seem like a Winter smell (lack of knowledge, i just think it smells like spring)...

Anyways... tl;dr=MALE high school student, senior year, need help choosing a more serious cologne

I've heard good things about these:
    Hugo Boss..Boss
    Issey Miyake..L'eau d'Issey PH
    Gucci..Envy
    Giorgio Armani..Acqua Di Gio**

**I'm leaning towards Acqua Di Gio even though people say its very common. Noone at my school (New Jersey) wears cologne. They just spray axe and think its classy.

so I was wondering... which one should I buy first (daily) or if I need to rethink my list for diversity...can't think of a better word.

Default Re: Advice for a Newcomer

I did a swap with a guy who was just starting college. He wanted a frag that was "all purpose" and could be taken "seriously." I advised Giogio Valent's 101 (ebay has new 100 ml bottles for $21 delivered), and he was very pleased. You can read the reviews of this one in the BN directory. It's uncommon, so you won't smell like anyone else. Note that I wrote up my neutral review of it when I was having a bout of "chemical sensitivity syndrome" (or something similar) so I was hyper-sensitive to certain notes. I think that most people would agree with the other 2 reviews rather than mine, though I would probably still say that it lacks the amount of dynamism I require to pronounce a frag "full bottle worthy." However, I realize that many don't feel this way about frags.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st September 2009 at 09:33 PM.

for winters..you may want to try Burberry London, Issey Bleue, Armani Black Code etal.. these have woody accords and has the neessary warmth which feels just right for winters..

@Bigsly, Thanks but what's the 'synthetic' smell mean? Like, I can tell that my cologne isn't very expensive since it has this odd smell about it when the cologne dries onto the surface of the sprayer. You can taste the chemical in the scent... or I'm just being stupid > >. But I'm definitely going to add that to the list I need to try out... Probably as the next one I'm going to get.

@jenson, I've heard something about Issey Bleue, but more about Black Code. I haven't heard of Burberry London but if there's something that separates it from the other two, then I'll definitely check it out. I don't know why, but I have an odd interest in Armani scents. Everything I've heard about Acqua Di Gio has been good, but a 'woody accord' sounds appealing.

However, I'm looking for a daily so my question is: Are all of these daily colognes?

As I said, I think I was just hyper-sensitive back then. I could smell things that I can no longer smell. It was a very strange experience. I had to use tiny amounts of weak frags or else I'd start to get nauseous. In retrospect, I think it was a matter of "sharpness" (of a particular note/accord) rather than a "synthetic" smell, but in any case the notion of a "synthetic" quality is subjective, and unless a person is a real aficionado, I don't think he or she would smell anything "synthetic" in 101 for men.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 2nd September 2009 at 02:53 AM.

Blog Entries

I have AdG, and like it quite a bit, though it is very common. I also like L'eau d'Issey. But I like Bvlgari Aqva better than both of them, and I believe it would be more suitable for year round wear (not just warm weather) than the other two.

Have you sampled any of the scents on your list. Some more info on what you like and don't like could help us give you some more suggestions. In the end, what's going to matter is if you enjoy wearing the fragrance you pick.

Try not to blind buy anything. Sample first.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 2nd September 2009 at 03:03 AM.

Hey, for a daily cologne - go and buy something of a good brands' cheapest range, it would help a lot, and will do 'just rite. if possible get d DEO stick of the same and wear both, just 1 spritz from d perfume would do, and just 2 test, leave d perfume and try ONLY d deo once in a while - and u'll be amazed that u would still smell so good.

Boss
    Ralph Lauren - would do AND get bac to us and tell us about d compliments and comments

Ahh okay. Yeah, the thing is... there's no way to make it look like I'm just a teenager with rich parents. My parents take my money pretty much and in return, they'll buy me things occasionally. And yes, they come into my room and take my money. So now, they told me that they'll buy me a frag and naturally I feel like if they're paying, I might as well get a more expensive one even if that's a good bang for buck frag. Since the last time they stole money from me, I have like 30 bucks and I could get it for myself but a little later.

And there was no way of saying that without me looking like a kid who just wants expensive frags. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I want to be wearing as soon as Dec/Jan hits.

@thgolfer, the common part doesn't hurt me since like I said, noone at my school even cares about what they're smelling like. Considering Bvlgari Aqva now.

Nothing at all, I wasn't home the day before (when I found this site) and the list is just what I've seen around the threads while lurking. I also have no idea where to find colognes around where I live since there's no outlet nearby. There's a mall and tomorrow I'm trying Macy's...

I also don't know what I like yet since I have nothing...

Any advice for sampling besides just putting some on my skin and seeing how it smells? In one of the reviews, a guy put some on and walked around. However, since some colognes apparently change after hours of spraying I don't know if I should just make a choice after letting it settle or let it sit for half an hour.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    I have AdG, and like it quite a bit, though it is very common. I also like L'eau d'Issey. But I like Bvlgari Aqva better than both of them
    Me too....

@Adoran2, depending on the particular scent, sampling and allowing it to settle for an hour or 2 may be sufficient especially for something linear (but you never know until you wear it for more than a couple of hours), there are other scents, that I would rather get a sample vial of and give a few more days of full wearing before deciding... especially when reviews have mentioned them being more complex and require more time to "get". Allowing a full wearing also gives you a better impression of the scent's longevity and development... hope this helps and Welcome to Basenotes

Oh also consider not sampling too many scents at a time... a common agreement here is no more than 4 each trip... it may be right...
    Last edited by MFJ; 2nd September 2009 at 05:32 AM.

I would try issey and also bulgari PH. try them first everyone skin chemistry reacts differently

If I were to buy something at Macy's (let's say someone wanted to get me a gift, not a gift card, and for some reason I didn't want to tell him/her that it was a rip off situation), I'd go for a frag like Emporio Armani He.

Blog Entries

You should find all the ones from your list (plus Bvlgari Aqva) at Macy's. That's where I do the majority of sampling myself.

I'm a relative newbie too, but my method of sampling: If I know nothing about the scent (haven't read any reviews for example), I'll spray it on a card first to see if it interests me. If I know I want to try it on, or the card test interests me, I'll then spray it on one of my wrists.

Matthewfoo's advice is great advice. Don't sample more than 4 per trip. You'll fatigue your nose. I usually only do 2 (one on each wrist), but if I add a 3rd or 4th I spray them in the bend of my arm (inside elbow). I learned my lesson with a fragrance that I sprayed on my neck and it turned on me. It was difficult to get off. So now wrists and arms only, so if I hate it, it's much easier to wash off.

And again, like Matthewfoo said, don't make a split second decision right after spraying them on. Walk around for a bit (1-2 hours) or go home and come back another time to buy. For example Aqva changes several times throughout the day. About the 2 hour mark on my skin is where I think it smells the best.

OH, and welcome to Basenotes. Hope you hang around and keep us posted on your experiences.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 3rd September 2009 at 02:37 AM.

hey, we int he same boat then, im 18 sr in HS as well, currently im using DKNY Be Delicious men, gotten a few compliments from girls in school, and weirdly a few guys, but anyway i just bought Nautica Competition and will try it out tomorrow and see how that works

Oh, I'm so pleased at the appearance of all these young men, taking the time to grow in to modern gentlemen! (/embarassing Mom behavior)

Stop in a Sephora if you have one nearby, they are very good at decanting a few samples to take home with you. By living with a scent for a few days, you can get a good idea if its something you'd like.

And, don't be afraid to try on "old school" drugstore scent. Original Old Spice and Stetson in particular are actually quite nice for VERY little money. AND, there is the extra bonus that most of your classmates won't even recognise them...for all they know, you are a conoisseur of a rare niche scent!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

@matthew: Not too many scents at once and wait maybe an hour. Checkmark.

@chipper: You mean if one doesn't work, the other will? Or both of them are considerably different among different users?

@Bigsly, All the reviews on BN seem to love it! I think this may be the one I'll look at first. AgD is now at the bottom of the list as I realize that even though noone uses it, they may have smelled it when they were out or that when I go to college (if it lasts that long), that I'll smell like every other student.

@thgolfer, Are they cool if I just say: "Can I sample 'so and so'?" then walk away? It just seems like I would appear to be trying to get a free spray of frag.

@LanEvo, Update me! I just looked up all the reviews on DKNY- BD Men, and most of them are okay/bad. I guess it just works with some people.. But I am interested in learning as much as I can about different scents.

@Mom, LOL! Well, let me tell you... my mom isn't being supportive - - and if she said something like that, I wouldn't be embarassed.
    I don't have a Sephora nearby unfortunately. However, my dad seems to be interested in my current frag phase. He has a Sephora nearby work, except I'd need to tell him what to expect. Should I just give him a list and how much is it for each sample?

Oh and I'm cool with picking up an older scent.
    Looking into Old Spice - Procter & Gamble..

Blog Entries

I think what Chipper is trying to say is that many fragrances react differently on different people's skin. The one I referred to that turned on me was Azzaro Chrome. It has many supporters that it smells great on, but on me it turned an awful metallic. That's why you shouldn't blind buy anything. Even if you like the way something smells on someone else, it may not smell the same on you.

Yes, most Sales Associates expect you to try something on and walk away (especially if they realize you know what you are doing). The good one's that know fragrances aren't expecting you to make that split second decision. That said, though you could end up with an over-enthusiastic one that tries to steer you to a fragrance, or just make a sale. It's only if you go in there every day and never buy anything that they could have an issue. Try something on and tell them you want to see how it develops while you do more shopping, and if you like it you will be back.

I'm actually pretty lucky with my Macy's. The SA's are pretty lazy, so they just leave the testers out on the counters. Most of the time they are off helping ladies with makeup or something, and I never even see them. I prefer it that way, because I like to make my own decisions without being bothered. If you have a Kohl's near you, they do the same. Fragrance testers on the shelves with no sales associate to bug you.

You may be the opposite though. If you get a good, attentive, SA that truly wants to help, they can be quite valuable, as many on here can attest to. Big Punisher has even mentioned having one that's sweet on him and gives him free samples when he flirts with her. I think that's awesome. If you get one you like, get their name, and ask for them the next time you go in.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 3rd September 2009 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks, and hopefully they won't be hovering over me. I've been to a Kohl's actually and I like how all the frags are just on the shelves. However, then I had no idea about any cologne names. I may just visit it again.

That last comment made me laugh, but I think a 16 year old flirting with an SA will be kind of odd.

Should I just give him a list and how much is it for each sample?
    That's the beauty of Sephora...they will give you one or two for free! They also sell a $50 set of samples that comes for a coupon for $50 off your full bottle purchase. Those are a good idea if you happen to be interested in the selection.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LanEvo View Post
    hey, we int he same boat then, im 18 sr in HS as well, currently im using DKNY Be Delicious men, gotten a few compliments from girls in school, and weirdly a few guys, but anyway i just bought Nautica Competition and will try it out tomorrow and see how that works
    Welcome to Basenotes LanEvo. I tried on Be Delicious the other day and really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    Oh, I'm so pleased at the appearance of all these young men, taking the time to grow in to modern gentlemen! (/embarassing Mom behavior
    Me to YouCanCallMeMo. I have two daughters, 5 and 10, that I'm just introducing to fragrances. I always wanted a son, but probably not in the cards for me. Nevertheless I am double-blessed with my girls, and I still get to try to help young men on here.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 3rd September 2009 at 08:21 PM.

Ahh that's nicee. I'll try that out and look up the sample kit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adoran2 View Post
    Thanks, and hopefully they won't be hovering over me. I've been to a Kohl's actually and I like how all the frags are just on the shelves. However, then I had no idea about any cologne names. I may just visit it again.

That last comment made me laugh, but I think a 16 year old flirting with an SA will be kind of odd.
    Some of the ones I've seen that work in the evenings are working after school jobs and aren't much older than you. If you are confident enough, you might can pull it off.

And even if they are a little older, my wife loves it when she get flirted on by teens and young men. Makes her feel young again (like she's "still got it"). Could work to your advantage.

That's cool. If other guys my age are doing it, I'll try it no doubt. What are your personal thoughts on Be Delicious?

Blog Entries

I've been married too long to give much flirting advice , but if you do try it on an "older" woman do keep it subtle so they are intrigued not annoyed.

Anyway, as for the Be Delicious. There are many people on here that are true fragrance experts, not novices like us. They have almost literally smelled everything under the sun, so it takes something truly unique to impress them. Scents like DKNY BD have that been there, done that smell to them, and I think that's part of the reason for the neutral/negative reviews. That said, I really did like it, just probably not good enough to buy it. It has a pretty sweet opening, and dries kind of woody. You should definitely try it out if nothing else.

Another one along the same lines is Givenchy Play. The opinions of it on here are similar to BD (some love it/others hate it) for the same reasons of it not bringing anything really new to the table. However, I really liked it, and may purchase it in the future. You can find it at Macy's, and they are really pushing it there right now.

Check out this thread for an interesting read about it: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...highlight=game

LOL... Adults are so much more humorous than teens. I'll keep that in mind. xD

Actually, I looked into Sephora more and found the 10 sample kit they had and it's pretty ingenious. I've decided that is what I'm going to get. All the scents not included, I'll check out. First, Kohl's then Macy's.

Well my plan is I'm going to get a frag for a daily than build up an experience by buying more inexpensive colognes. Once I pinpoint the individual smells I like, I hope I'll be able to find another major pillar before Spring/Summer enters. Once I have both Winter/Summer, I'll have the random assortment of inexpensives (or should I say, less popular) to use during random occasions. Do you think this is an alright plan?

Ahh this kid is so lucky. 2 Sisters to help him out. *just read more: Hahaha! So many people voted for Code. Although, didn't this guy make a mistake by not trying any of them out on his skin first? And did you ever go back to try it on your skin?
    Last edited by Adoran2; 3rd September 2009 at 10:12 PM.

hey, heres the update, yea the Nautica Competition is not for me, right now it smells terrfiic, but thats after like 4 hours of wear, when u first apply it, its quite a bit strong, and i only took 3 sprays 2 to the chest and 1 to the neck, i stood 3 feet away from my sister and she said she could smell it, a strong smell too, so im probably gonna return it, and i wore ti to school today asked a few ppl what they thought, they said it wasnt anything special, just a normal clean scent, so im gonn ahva eto get somehting else, something that sticks out, with a subtle, lavender/woody smell, like the DKNY but different, but if u have time go to a Macy's and try out diff. colognes, im still looking to try out a Nautica Blue, Voyage and the KC Reaction, i would get another bottle of DKNY, but for the price its a bit hihg for me, like id get ADG all the way, but price is a bit too high
    Last edited by LanEvo; 3rd September 2009 at 10:20 PM.

Blog Entries

LOL... Adults are so much more humorous than teens. I'll keep that in mind. xD

Actually, I looked into Sephora more and found the 10 sample kit they had and it's pretty ingenious. I've decided that is what I'm going to get. All the scents not included, I'll check out. First, Kohl's then Macy's.

Well my plan is I'm going to get a frag for a daily than build up an experience by buying more inexpensive colognes. Once I pinpoint the individual smells I like, I hope I'll be able to find another major pillar before Spring/Summer enters. Once I have both Winter/Summer, I'll have the random assortment of inexpensives (or should I say, less popular) to use during random occasions. Do you think this is an alright plan?

Ahh this kid is so lucky. 2 Sisters to help him out. *just read more: Hahaha! So many people voted for Code. Although, didn't this guy make a mistake by not trying any of them out on his skin first? And did you ever go back to try it on your skin?
    You plan sounds fine. It's your "journey", there's not really a right or wrong, that's the best part. Just have fun with it.

"Mistake" is relative. If someone already has a large collection, has the expendable income, or there is a full refund return policy blind buying can be fun (especially when it works out). So I guess I shouldn't have said never to do it. I just don't recommend it until you at least know what types of scents you like.

Haven't tried Play on my skin yet. That's why I haven't looked to buy yet. Will be trying it on soon though.

Oh, and yes, adults can be funny.:bounce:
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 3rd September 2009 at 10:29 PM.

Is your sister older or younger? My sister kept telling me I smelled like crap with Moves but my mom told me its very light, like a shampoo. I'll probably add those to the recommended list. And I know what you mean with the more expensive but I want a more expensive scent so I can really see the contrast.

It seems like there's a lot of mistakes that can be made by the starting newbie. Yeah, that's my problem. Everytime I start something new, I always try to get definite rules and it always turns out that there are always exceptions. I'm probably not going to blind buy until I have my cold/warm scents and a few sub 30 tags.

Awesome! Let me know what you think.

=D!

Is your sister older or younger? My sister kept telling me I smelled like crap with Moves but my mom told me its very light, like a shampoo. I'll probably add those to the recommended list. And I know what you mean with the more expensive but I want a more expensive scent so I can really see the contrast.

It seems like there's a lot of mistakes that can be made by the starting newbie. Yeah, that's my problem. Everytime I start something new, I always try to get definite rules and it always turns out that there are always exceptions. I'm probably not going to blind buy until I have my cold/warm scents and a few sub 30 tags.

Awesome! Let me know what you think.

=D!
    hey, my sister is younger, but only by one yr, a Jr in HS, whihc gives much perspective, but when i wear my DKNY she says its nice, as a few other girls have said thats its smells good, but im still looking for the right one, i havent found the one that just amazes girls tho, id love to get one of those

Me to YouCanCallMeMo. I have two daughters, 5 and 10, that I'm just introducing to fragrances. I always wanted a son, but probably not in the cards for me. Nevertheless I am double-blessed with my girls, and I still get to try to help young men on here.
    Ha! I have THREE little girls, ages 4, 7, and 11....so I have even more of an incentive to nurture gentlemanly young men....in a few years, they'll be phoning my house! Eeeeeep.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    Ha! I have THREE little girls, ages 4, 7, and 11....so I have even more of an incentive to nurture gentlemanly young men....in a few years, they'll be phoning my house! Eeeeeep.
    Sorry guys, don't want to hijack your thread with funny adult talk , but Mo you are so right about this one.

Blog Entries

adoran2, my office is next to our Macy's so I stopped in after work yesterday to try on Play. I wear mostly aquatics, which are pretty light. Play is a bit warmer and heavier than them, but pretty nice. Most of the reviews are correct in that it's nothing very unique, but I like it and I could definitely see it as one of my fall scents. I think I mentioned that it was along the lines of Be Delicious. Well, only the top is. The dry down is woodier, and not really sweet at all like BD is. I'll want to try it again when it gets a little cooler before I make the decision to buy or not.

Sorry for answering so late. According to my opinion, next to Envy, you should also try Mugler Cologne, Solo Loewe, YSL Rive Gauche and M7

@LanEvo, MAN, I'm so with you on that one

@Mo, looking out for your little girls

@golfer, I like the sound of a sweet to woody smell. Someone recommended wood for the winter seasons since it kind of points to warmth.

@Ken, it's fine. Even though I already made my decision, I'm still getting some frags down for after whichever one I pick.

hey Adoran, if u have time i want u to test out Kenneth Cole Reaction, i got a giftset of this, and im loving it, the fruity yet masculine scent u get from it its awesome

Try polo double black its nice for the winter too :}

I've been reading this thread since it started, and I gotta ask, what did you go with ?

for starters, I'd recommend something like Versace Blue Jeans, It's really cheap, but it smells fantastic and very versatile, works on hot and cold weather, day or night. it starts with a creamy citrus top and dries down to a sweet fresh scent. like mathewfoo said, I'd pay twice the price for what I get in the bottle.

Something that won't be too common to use would be Ferrari Extreme, and can be found at lots of bargain bins and on ebay for really cheap prices too, it's a great everyday wear, with good lasting power.

also give L'eau D'issey Pour Homme INTENSE a go if you want an aquatic with a spicy twist in it, lasts and projects really well too.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    I've been reading this thread since it started, and I gotta ask, what did you go with ?

for starters, I'd recommend something like Versace Blue Jeans, It's really cheap, but it smells fantastic and very versatile, works on hot and cold weather, day or night. it starts with a creamy citrus top and dries down to a sweet fresh scent. like mathewfoo said, I'd pay twice the price for what I get in the bottle.

Something that won't be too common to use would be Ferrari Extreme, and can be found at lots of bargain bins and on ebay for really cheap prices too, it's a great everyday wear, with good lasting power.

also give L'eau D'issey Pour Homme INTENSE a go if you want an aquatic with a spicy twist in it, lasts and projects really well too.
    not Versace anymore, called Versus now

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by LanEvo View Post
    not Versace anymore, called Versus now
    Wow I didn't even know it changed! I went to google for some images and indeed it has! I guess I really hadn't paid much attention while shopping.. thanks for sharing