Code of Conduct

Default hey guys new on here, and would like an opinion

hey guys, i went to TJ Max today to buy a new cologne, i usually use DKNY Be Delicious, but today i bought Nautica Competition the yellow/black bottle, saw it for only $15 so a nice deal, what are ur opinions about it? i am an 18 yr old using this stuff, i smelled it and it was fine, but theres somthing else to it ... what do u guys think? also i dont wanna smell bad witht his stuff, and from other reviews i hear ppl say its strong stuff, so how should i apply it? with the DKNY i go 3 sprays one to neck and two to the chest, also the chest sprays are on my shirt, all help and opinions are greatly appreciated

Blog Entries

Default Re: hey guys new on here, and would like an opinion

I've tried many Nauticas, and own a few, but not Competition, so I can't help much there. There are several "how to apply threads" on here. Do a search for them. I'd recommend not to over-apply, but that's just me. Some want and like a large sillage (to be able to be smelled from a good distance) though.

The best advice I can give on application is start with a couple of sprays, and ask someone you trust (family, friends, girlfriend) what they think. If they think it's too light, go for a few more sprays next time.

I work in an office environment, and wear my scents mainly for myself, so I just do 2-3 sprays on all of mine (neck and chest). But others will do up to 5-8. Depends on the fragrance (all have different strengths), and how comfortable you are wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    I've tried many Nauticas, and own a few, but not Competition, so I can't help much there. There are several "how to apply threads" on here. Do a search for them. I'd recommend not to over-apply, but that's just me. Some want and like a large sillage (to be able to be smelled from a good distance) though.

The best advice I can give on application is start with a couple of sprays, and ask someone you trust (family, friends, girlfriend) what they think. If they think it's too light, go for a few more sprays next time.

I work in an office environment, and wear my scents mainly for myself, so I just do 2-3 sprays on all of mine (neck and chest). But others will do up to 5-8. Depends on the fragrance (all have different strengths), and how comfortable you are wearing it.
    hey, yea i tried it out today, competition is not for me, im gonna go back and return it, anyway does anyone know of a cologne similar to the DKNY Be Delicious? bc i want somehting with that type of smell, Competition was to normal hen i aske da few of my friends about it, as well as too sporty, hows the Nautica Voyage and Blue? and im thinking of Kennith Cole Reaction as well, but im lookin for somethign similar to the DKNY

Blog Entries

Nautica Blue, Voyage, and KC Reaction are lighter and more aquatic. I think Givenchy Play is similar to Be Delicious.

Nautica Blue, Voyage, and KC Reaction are lighter and more aquatic. I think Givenchy Play is similar to Be Delicious.
    hey, among those three i listed, whihc lasts longer? also at TJ MAx, they have a Nautica Voyage Set with the 3.4oz bottle and the after shave and everything for $30, good deal? bc right now the competiton is starting to smell nice, but int he morning when i put it on its just too strong

also, does TJ Max take returns on colognes? i have the reciept and everything

Blog Entries

I don't have any first hand experience returning anything to TJ Maxx, but I did find this thread that says they have an easy return policy. http://www.perfumeoflife.org/lofiver...hp/t32126.html

Maybe someone else will weigh in here and confirm for you.

I own Nautica Blue, but not the other two (I've just sampled them). Blue lasts on me all day, but I'm one of the lucky ones that gets great longevity out of most scents.

I really liked Reaction, but it ironically really didn't last that long. Again that's relative (6-8 hours is short on me).

Sampled Voyage so long ago, I can't really remember how long it lasted. $30 sounds like a good deal on the set though. The 3.4 oz. sells for about that by itself at the online discount stores.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 3rd September 2009 at 10:58 PM.

I don't have any first hand experience returning anything to TJ Maxx, but I did find this thread that says they have an easy return policy. http://www.perfumeoflife.org/lofiver...hp/t32126.html

I own Nautica Blue, but not the other two (I've just sampled them). Blue lasts on me all day, but I'm one of the lucky ones that gets great longevity out of most scents.

I really liked Reaction, but it ironically really didn't last that long. Again that's relative (6-8 hours is short on me).

Sampled Voyage so long ago, I can't really remember how long it lasted. $30 sounds like a good deal on the set though. The 3.4 oz. sells for about that by itself at the online discount stores.
    so how is Nautica Blue in your opinion then? and would u say its unique? like it stands out from the others? bc at my local Ross, they have the 1.7oz for $15 and the 3.4oz for $20, i have tried to sample this, but havent had time to try it out, i went to the local Kohls and they had Blue for sale, but they did not have a tester bottle
    Last edited by LanEvo; 3rd September 2009 at 11:34 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm trying to think of how best to describe it. It is a little more woodier and more powdery than your typical aquatic. You really may like it if you like Be Delicious. It does last a long time, but it is light and wears pretty close to the skin (closer than BD IMO). So, if you are looking for something that gets the girl's attention, this probably isn't it. I've never gotten a single comment/compliment on it, but I wear it because I enjoy it.

yea im going back tomorrow and picking this set up, hopefully its still there, but im gonna return the Compeitiona nd pick this set up reviews seem great with its aquatic scent, and if its good, ill be set with this and pick up another Blue or Reaction when i see it on sale another time

I can confirm that TJX has an easy return policy. If you're looking for something sweet and fruity, perhaps Escada Magnetism is worth checking out. I've seen it at Marshalls/TJX several times.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I can confirm that TJX has an easy return policy. If you're looking for something sweet and fruity, perhaps Escada Magnetism is worth checking out. I've seen it at Marshalls/TJX several times.
    great ill check it out

I don't think I've ever wanted to suggest something that I've just tried about half an hour before, but I just sprayed three shots of Nautica blue to my chest right after I showered a little while back, and found a bottle of Bvlgari aqua that my sister owns (no idea why she has it) so I sprayed one on my wrist.

Nautica Blue to me, is very boring, and very common, I personally don't think there's anything in there that hasn't been done before, smells generic.. to my nose anyway, Bvlgari aqua on the other hand, is something else. the opening is kinda mossy or smells like an early morning walk in the beach where the seaweeds are drifted to the shore, it's salty, slightly bitter and somewhat spicy, it has a slightly sour note in it that I don't like, maybe it's petitgrain? i've no idea. but that note is in the original L'eau D'Issey.... Bvlgari aqua though, smells a whole lot like L'eau D'Issey INTENSE, which I am a very very big fan of.

so what I'm saying is, If you could try either Bvlgari Aqua or L'eau D'issey INTENSE, give it a go before you purchase Nautica Blue, I've an almost full bottle, and I want to get rid of it, simply because there are much better offerings at the same price range for the type of scent that it is on.

Oh, and either L'eau D'issey or Bvlgari aqua will last you longer, since those need less sprays to stand out, like I mentioned, I sprayed three of nautica Blue, and 1 of Bvl Aqua, I'm getting better whiffs of the aqua than I do of blue.
    go figure.
    Last edited by TimothyX; 4th September 2009 at 05:18 AM.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Sur la Plage

Some other ones you may see at TJ Maxx that you may want to think about are:

Gucci pour Homme II
    Dirty English
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Some other ones you may see at TJ Maxx that you may want to think about are:

Gucci pour Homme II
    Dirty English
    ill be looking out for the Gucci

anyway i went to return the Competition and looked around to buying the Nautica Voyage for $30, but it was sold out , but i stumbled upon another something something, it gift set of Kenneth Cole Reaction and i picked it up for $30 did i get a good deal? it included a 3.4oz bottle, a 0.5oz ont he go bottle, the deo stick and the aftershave, also how is the longevity on this cologne? bc it smells great right now, but its nighttime and i dont have time to try it, also they had a Kenneth cole RSVP for $10, the 3.4oz hwo it that? it smells very musky and woody, but then it could have been from the wooden box it was in
    Last edited by LanEvo; 5th September 2009 at 04:25 AM.

KC Reaction is one of the most fleeting scents I've ever tried. lasts only about 2 hours on me.
    so...
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Reaction is nice and fruity but the longevity is very bad on me. 2 hours longevity at best. The travel spray will come in handy when u need to reapply.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

i got a good deal tho right? $30bucks

I guess so. But i'm living thousands of miles away so i can't really comment on whether 30 bucks is worth it. But it might have better longevity on you so give it a few wearings and see how it goes. Unless u want to exchange it again ?
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

For 30 bucks, sure. you got a gift set, the EDT alone would have cost about the same.
    Could I spend the 30 bucks on a better cologne, most definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    For 30 bucks, sure. you got a gift set, the EDT alone would have cost about the same.
    Could I spend the 30 bucks on a better cologne, most definitely.
    what are ur reccomendations? also they had Azzaro Por Houme or whatever, hows that? anyway my brother reccomeneded me this cologne so ill keep it, but im gonna try it out and see how long it last son me, i usually use DKNY BD and i put it on at 6am and it last very well until 10am, then its smellable fromt hen on, but u would have to get close, so if i can get this out of the Reaction ill be happy, also i live in Stockton, CA so thats the weather

LanEvo, what are your preferences ?

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    LanEvo, what are your preferences ?
    i like something like DKNY Be Delicious, this time i would be getting another bottle of this, but i wanted to try something new, im looking for somehting along that line, a maturer cologne that doesnt make smell like my age, like today i got a few compliments with the BD that made my day, but something aquatic would be nice, ill be looking for Nautica Voyage later, something with a nice sublte lavender, woody type of smell, anything like BD, or even a fruity color is nice like Reaction, also i dont reapply cologne throughout the day, i put it on at 6am and i get out of school at 2:30pm
    Last edited by LanEvo; 5th September 2009 at 05:03 AM.

Have u tried Versace Pour Homme? I think it would be suited to your preferences. Other recommendations would be Bulgari Aqua, Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude, Solo Loewe, CK One, CK Euphoria and Intense and Paco Rabanne Black XS. I've heard that Solo Loewe might be hard to find in the USA so u'll be quite lucky to come across one.

hey, i have seen CK One for sale, the big bottles are $20, but the only thing it its unisex, thats makes it unattractive for me, but ill will see if ic an find the Versace and the Aqua, bc right now im only limited to TJ Max and these type sof stores, i have Macys and stuff, but dont wanan spend twice as much for colognes there, tho i may pick up CK Summer, there sometime bc i can use it, as well as my sister
    Last edited by LanEvo; 5th September 2009 at 05:26 AM.

also, they had gift sets of Perry Ellis 360 and others there, not sure how they are, but they were there, im still looking to pick up another 2 -3 types of colognes, for a variety throughout the week
    Last edited by LanEvo; 5th September 2009 at 05:29 AM.

Black XS on second thought might work better for u as it is sweet and fruity. Good sillage and longevity too. I think u might be able to get it cheap. But its not an aquatic.

Edit: Should suit your age too.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 5th September 2009 at 05:37 AM.

if you want to get an aquatic, I suggested Bvlgari aqua, now that you mentioned perry ellis, get the perry ellis 360 RED, it's basically a copy of Aqua Di Gio, but imho, better. lasts long, and costs about a quarter than what AdG would cost you.

Blog Entries

I stopped in my TJ Maxx yesterday, and they still had several of the Voyage gift sets. If you have a Marshalls or a Ross nearby, check there. They carry some of the same stuff as TJM. I don't think you will be disappointed with the smell of Reaction at all, though, and I do think $30 was a good deal. Longevity could be an issue. I get 6-8 hours, but that is fleeting on me. Many don't get nearly that. Stick the travel spray in your bookbag, and use it to reapply during the day. Just be careful not to let it break in there

360 Red could be what you are looking for. I've never tried it myself, but TimothyX isn't the only one one here that says its similar to AdG.

Don't let the fact that CK One is unisex sway you from trying it. The "for him", "for her", "unisex" tags that companies put on fragrances is just for marketing. There are several guys on here that regularly wear fragrances that are "marketed" for women, and vice versa. That doesn't mean the guys are walking around smelling like flowers. Many "women's" scents are actually quite "masculine" smelling. Also, remember, the same fragrance can smell different on different people. One of my favorites, Mugler Cologne, is unisex.

Cool Water has the lavender you mentioned, but it's really not woody at all.

Finally, I just thought of another you should check out, Izod. I just ordered some for myself. You can find it at Wal Mart for around $15, and my Wal Mart even had a tester.

Dependent

...Don't let the fact that CK One is unisex sway you from trying it. The "for him", "for her", "unisex" tags that companies put on fragrances is just for marketing. There are several guys on here that regularly wear fragrances that are "marketed" for women, and vice versa. That doesn't mean the guys are walking around smelling like flowers. Many "women's" scents are actually quite "masculine" smelling. Also, remember, the same fragrance can smell different on different people...
    Very well said

Sound advice from thegolfer. Some female frags i like are Chanel Cristalle edt, Light Blue and Burberry Brit Sheer. I find male frags like Black XS, Prada Amber PH and Kenzo Power to be more feminine than some female frags. I don't think wearing female frags will make me less masculine and vice versa.

Blog Entries

Thanks Matthewfoo and JoNnY4. A good example would be D&G Light Blue. I have and like the male version, but many (guys included) say the "women's" version is better.

Suppose you did like the pour femme better and decided to wear it. I know how high school is, they wouldn't understand and would pick on you if you told them it was pour femme. BUT all you would have to say if asked is "D&G Light Blue" without the him/her qualifier. Because scents can smell so different on different people, NO ONE would ever know the difference.

But if I were in high school i won't wear Light Blue pour femme and pour homme because half the student population would already own a bottle

I stopped in my TJ Maxx yesterday, and they still had several of the Voyage gift sets. If you have a Marshalls or a Ross nearby, check there. They carry some of the same stuff as TJM. I don't think you will be disappointed with the smell of Reaction at all, though, and I do think $30 was a good deal. Longevity could be an issue. I get 6-8 hours, but that is fleeting on me. Many don't get nearly that. Stick the travel spray in your bookbag, and use it to reapply during the day. Just be careful not to let it break in there

360 Red could be what you are looking for. I've never tried it myself, but TimothyX isn't the only one one here that says its similar to AdG.

Don't let the fact that CK One is unisex sway you from trying it. The "for him", "for her", "unisex" tags that companies put on fragrances is just for marketing. There are several guys on here that regularly wear fragrances that are "marketed" for women, and vice versa. That doesn't mean the guys are walking around smelling like flowers. Many "women's" scents are actually quite "masculine" smelling. Also, remember, the same fragrance can smell different on different people. One of my favorites, Mugler Cologne, is unisex.

Cool Water has the lavender you mentioned, but it's really not woody at all.

Finally, I just thought of another you should check out, Izod. I just ordered some for myself. You can find it at Wal Mart for around $15, and my Wal Mart even had a tester.
    yea when i bought Reaction, i also saw a giftset of IZOD 3.4oz EDT, with 3.4oz AfterShave, im going to the mall again today, so ill try those out, also for the after shave, how do i use it? im not a guy who uses after shave or ever have, usually i just shave and thats it

Thanks Matthewfoo and JoNnY4. A good example would be D&G Light Blue. I have and like the male version, but many (guys included) say the "women's" version is better.

Suppose you did like the pour femme better and decided to wear it. I know how high school is, they wouldn't understand and would pick on you if you told them it was pour femme. BUT all you would have to say if asked is "D&G Light Blue" without the him/her qualifier. Because scents can smell so different on different people, NO ONE would ever know the difference.
    well thats ones thing, but the thing is no one really cares in my HS, i wear cologne bc i want to smell nice and retract from all the AXE wearers, other than that, no other guys that i know of wear this stuff, but when i wear BD, many girls seem to notice and say i smell nice so that was always the plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    But if I were in high school i won't wear Light Blue pour femme and pour homme because half the student population would already own a bottle
    LOL. That is probably true in most high schools.

@LanEvo, keep hanging out here, you will become known as "The Man" at your school when it comes to fragrances. Keep us posted on your experiences. One day we could be learning from you.

Aftershave is meant to help with any skin irritation that results from shaving. Just put some in your hands and rub it on the areas you shaved. Their fragrance isn't meant to last as long as cologne or perfume, but pairing it with the cologne could possibly increase the longevity of the cologne. ?? I've never had had the matching aftershave to my frags. Try it and see.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 5th September 2009 at 05:31 PM.

hey, i tried on the Reaction today, its a nic epleasant scent, fruity with a little bit of spice, however the longevity is not that long, it sbeen 2 hrs since having it on and its barely noticeable anymore, after the 1st hr i could still smell it on me but half and hr later i aske dmy sister to smell it and see if she can sense it and she couldnt , so by the 2nd hrs its basically gone, unles si put my nose to mys hrit and sniff, i took one spray to the neck, on to the chest, and one on my shirt chest area, maybe its jsut first impressions, bc the bottle was brand new when i first sprayed it i had to spray a few times before the stuff came out, anyway i went to Ross today, they had CK Obsession Night for $15, also D&G Men 1.7oz for $20, dont know how that is but thats basically it, some Polo but not sure of the price
    Last edited by LanEvo; 5th September 2009 at 08:11 PM.

Another vote for Izod. I really like this scent. I find it pretty original for a fresh frag. On me, it lasts reasonable long, but not anything mind-blowing. Seeing as you can get a 100ml bottle for 15$ though, I can easily look past that. Its a hidden gem in aquatics IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo30 View Post
    Another vote for Izod. I really like this scent. I find it pretty original for a fresh frag. On me, it lasts reasonable long, but not anything mind-blowing. Seeing as you can get a 100ml bottle for 15$ though, I can easily look past that. Its a hidden gem in aquatics IMO.
    if i find it the next time im at TJ Maxx ill pick it up

another update, about 4 1/2 hrs now, the scent is virtually gone, there is a very faint scent only noticeable by me, only if i put my nose up to the shirt and sniff then i am able to smell it but i enjoy this scent so ill probably keep this

Blog Entries

You could try applying a little more, but that will probably just make it project more while it's there, not last longer. But still worth a try.

The Izod is probably a good bet, esp. if you can try it first or buy at a place with a refund policy. I wore it myself today. One spray before working in the yard and could still smell it 4 hours later, even after sweating like crazy. Took a shower, reapplied (2 sprays), still going strong on hour 5 now.

You could try applying a little more, but that will probably just make it project more while it's there, not last longer. But still worth a try.

The Izod is probably a good bet, esp. if you can try it first or buy at a place with a refund policy. I wore it myself today. One spray before working in the yard and could still smell it 4 hours later, even after sweating like crazy. Took a shower, reapplied (2 sprays), still going strong on hour 5 now.
    ill get IZOD the next time i see it

Update : today i wore it for the first time to school, longevity is decent id say, about as long as my BD, i got about 4 hrs, but then i used the Deo and Aftershave, so its wasnt all that bad, but the scent of this is just great, so i will be using this and in hope, i will pick up a few more colognes along the way, anyone have any reccomendations for a longer lasting colgone? with a great scent like this