Code of Conduct

Default HELP! I am a newbie with indifferent nose and a cold(!)

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your expert opinions on finding perfumes. I am really bad at picking out individual scents(notes? I don't even speak the language!) and often can't describe why I like a certain perfume or not.

I am a 32 year old female working with old people so I can't have anything too strong or overpowering. I think I am drawn to orientals but they are often a little too overwhelming. I am looking for something subtle, not too sweet (I hated Angel). Maybe I just don't like to smell like food? I hate coconuts with a passion. I can't explain it but some perfumes are nasty (cloying, sweet, icky) like Vera Wang Look, CK in2U after 3 hrs. I'm not big on too florals either. Oh and I love aquatic clean scents but they turn nasty on me too! Eau d'Issey is really offensive after 30 minutes on me.

Any suggestions? I am currently using Light Blue which I do quite like but don't love. CK Truth also works for me but it's a little too strong, and Amor Amor Tentation surprisingly works ok as long as I go very light. I really liked Anna Sui Secret Wish but it disappeared after 2 hours. Maybe I should just carry it with me?

So.... umm..... I am looking for a perfume that is subtle yet long-lasting, not too sweet or overly floral but I can deal with soft vanilla and/or citrus. I don't want anything too exotic that I can't find the perfume unless I order it online from some random obscure website and not too expensive.

Thanks in advance! It's really hard to choose a new scent, especially when I can't smell much at the moment!
    Last edited by sn123; 5th September 2009 at 06:58 AM.

Default Re: HELP! I am a newbie with indifferent nose and a cold(!)

Welcome to Basenotes. Sorry to hear about your cold. Perhaps a basic clean fragrance would be a good start. I actually like W from Banana Republic. Inexpensive and easy to get. May even try some of the Hermes fragrances.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

subtle yet long-lasting, not too sweet or overly floral but I can deal with soft vanilla and/or citrus

Your description sounds like Bvlgari black to me, it stays close to skin, but lasts a very long time, without getting too complicated, I'd describe it as a soft vanilla with rubber and tea floating around every now and then, Give it a try, you might like it. Kenzo power fits the bill too, it's a light citrusy floral, but be gentle with the sprayer, as it can be pretty strong if overapplied. (both are unisex scents, with the first slightly leaning towards being masculine and the second ever so slightly more feminine)
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Thanks guys.

Ah....... I actually did try Bvlgari Black about 3 years ago and remember being a little unsure about it - it was a little too strong for me. I will give it another go and see if I (now that I am older and wiser) can pull it off.

I do like the unisex scents and actually like D&G By but I feel like I can't really pull off such a strong perfume either.

Dependent

Hi there and welcome!

You should sample Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée - soft vanilla and/or citrus, and inoffensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sn123 View Post
    Thanks in advance! It's really hard to choose a new scent, especially when I can't smell much at the moment!
    I have a few, and yes some are from BPAL, that would cut right through that congestion. Such a shame that what you really want is something subtle. If you didn't care about having to order online, and wanted to sample some fragrances after your cold subsides, then we could talk about Heeley Sel Marin, profumo.it Oakmoss, Profumum Olibanum, or Comme des Garcons Rose.

So. How floral is too floral? If you like iris, Prada Infusion d'Homme is supposed to be a much more toned-down version of Infusion d'Iris. For soft citrus, Annick Goutal offers both Eau du Hadrien and Les Nuits D'Hadrien.

The drydown of just about any Guerlain (except maybe Vetiver) should suit your tastes, but I especially like the idea of Shalimar in an EdC concentration - light, still a classic vanilla oriental, generally inoffensive, and best of all it should remind your clients of happier days.

Hi, I'm new too!

From your description of what you like, 24, Faubourg Eau Délicate from Hermes is worth a try. Might be worth waiting until your cold gets better or you could end up with something much stronger than you thought it was!

Hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by bubby; 5th September 2009 at 05:59 PM.

How do you feel about "green" perfumes? Both Cristalle eau de toilette and Cristalle Eau Verte eau de toilette might be worth trying.

Crayfish

Ok, I will try a few as soon as my nose unblocks.

I HAVE to go with soft, safe fragrances - as I said, I work with old people. I'm a doctor (almost) and all my patients are very very old. I'm in Australia so shipping charges are also a problem.

Too bad I only have 2 wrists to try perfumes at a time. I know a lot of the green/aquatic perfumes turn nasty on me so I always try perfumes on skin.

Basenotes Plus

A warm Basenotes welcome to bubby and sn123. Hope you both enjoy being here.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th September 2009 at 07:25 AM.

miss dior cherie smells really nice. it's somewhat sweet floral and not overpowering

Welcome! I don't have much to add on the recommendations front, but I did want to add - don't worry about not being able to pick the individual notes out from a scent yet. That'll develop with time, as you smell a variety of fragrances. After a while, it'll hit you - "oh, so THAT'S what incense smells like" and "wow, that's seriously bubbly... has to be aldehydes". I've only be delving into the world of perfumery for about a year and I'm just beginning to be able to pick out not only notes but the definite stages of scent evolution, as it goes from the top notes through the drydown.

Again, welcome! This is a great group of very knowledgeable perfumistas and perfumistos.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

I believe it's "officially" a man's fragrance, but I wanted to suggest sniffing Creed Original Vetiver. Green, bright, not too sweet, not floral.

Crayfish