Code of Conduct

Wink Borneo 1834 sillage...

... is awesome, pute heaven!! If I put my nose near my wrist, the patchouly it's dominant, but no so close I can smell in the air an outstanding dark chocolate aroma with hints of smooth patchouly, and maybe caramel? or tobacco? I don't know. So charming!! I catch all the whiffs I can of this sexy aroma!!
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

Default Re: Borneo 1834 sillage...

I always get plenty of compliments with Borneo

Strange. I have been craving to smell it for years (since I saw some exclusive bottle of it). Now that's in the export range...my enthusiasm has faded into nothing. I really should sample it! I somehow "bought" the reviews speaking of a striking similarity between Borneo and A*Men (Thierry Mugler). I have been using the latter for years (and with great satisfaction) and don't feel inspired to...ah, just have to persuade myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Strange. I have been craving to smell it for years (since I saw some exclusive bottle of it). Now that's in the export range...my enthusiasm has faded into nothing. I really should sample it! I somehow "bought" the reviews speaking of a striking similarity between Borneo and A*Men (Thierry Mugler). I have been using the latter for years (and with great satisfaction) and don't feel inspired to...ah, just have to persuade myself.
    I love Borneo and hate A*Men, so if nothing else, I can assure you they are quite different.

Borneo is not as sweet and there is no tar note but the patchouli is strong. I haven't been that interested in chocolate frags over the last 2 or 3 months so I haven't worn either (I have come to dislike A*Men so I would only wear it for "reference purposes").

I really don't get the comparisons between Borneo and A*men, the latter is a synthetic cotton candy bonanza and Borneo is pretty much patchouli oil with a little dry cocoa powder. I wouldn't be taken in by those comparisons at all. By the way Kakihara, did you take your name from the infamous Takashi Miike film? Just curious...

Also, for those wanting something like a cross between Borneo and A*Men, there is Gendarme's Excess from the Sinful collection. When I'm in the mood for this kind of thing, I generally like Excess best, with A*Men a distant third due to the sweetness and tar.

I had to get used to chocolate as a note, and I found it easy to take in A*Men. Having learned to love Borneo, I think its chocolate is more of a cacao, and A*Men is more devil's food cake. Borneo is definitely in a class by itself! That chocolate and patch are eyes-rolling-back-into-your-head tasty.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 6th September 2009 at 05:56 AM.

I find Borneo 1834 "simplicity" a bit deceptive, maybe because it is very smooth. I detect patchouly, cocoa, cardamom, something like soft caramel or rum, and a smooth tobacco note toned down and slightly similar to Fumerie Turque. Sillage is like an "emanation", smooth, dark and expansive and refined chocolatey. I love it, and I am delightful because I tend to hate patchouly note, and always thought A Men was a synthetic horrible supersweet smell!! Borneo is in another league.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    By the way Kakihara, did you take your name from the infamous Takashi Miike film? Just curious...
    Yep...
    We accept reality easily, perhaps because we intuit that nothing is real...

After doing another sampling, I'd say Excess is much closer to Borneo, especially at the drydown.

Borneo 1834 is an amazingly seductive scent. Unfortunately, its longevity is pretty poor, compared to other efforts by this house. That was the deal breaker for me.

Borneo 1834 has been suggested to me when I was looking for a non-gourmand chocolate scent. And it really fits the bill. Where AMen plays hard on the sweetness, Borneo is like a rich paste of unsweetened cocoa. Not something you would want to eat but the smell is definately intoxicating. The addition of patchouli adds to the roundness of the scent. Sillage is not huge but the fragrance lingers on the skin for ever, one of those scents that seems to seep into the skin instead of just sitting on it. I have found the same effect in Vetiver Oriental too.

This thread makes me want to try Borneo 1834
    None of the lutens that I tried, worked for me. So I dismissed the whole line, without trying the rest but this one sounds good, particularly because of comparisons with A*men that I simply adore.