Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Just wondering if any of our Parisian members have had a chance to sample any of the Francis Kurkdjian creations from his new boutique that has just opened in Paris?
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I've read that it will be opened on Monday. I am a fan of Kurkdjian so waiting for the news impatiently
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I shall be in Paris next week, and am DYING to explore these since reading about them on Fragrantica.
    Lumiere Noire Pour Femme and LN Pour Homme are ones I MUST try. I adore the scent of daffodils and love the way they featured in Vol de Nuit... it doesnt seem to crop up so often in perfumes (at least in a starring role).
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 5th September 2009 at 04:24 PM.

review of Lumiere Noire here http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/

it's interesting how it compares to Rose de Nuit, Rose Barbare and Noir de Noir
    Last edited by DreamerII; 7th September 2009 at 12:59 PM.
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    review of Lumiere Noire here http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/

it's interesting how it compares to Rose de Nuit, Rose Barbare and Noir de Noir
    Oh, that sounds great! I look forward to getting to know this line.

Address of the shop?

It is located 5 rue d'Alger Paris 1 metro Tuilerie, 1mn from Hotel Le Meurice, rue de Castiglione and Colette on rue St Honoré. Great location! Yesterday was the first day the store was open, and I have been there after work. You'll see scented bubbles popping up in front, guiding you to the store.

The store looks great, and the window is just amaizing. It has a gallery with a 5m window with an incredible setting. A small paris with animated merry-go-round and other.

I loved APOM pour hommes (an oriental Orange Blossom / Cedar Wood accord inspired to Kurkdjian's from his trips to Lebanon). The packaging is very elegant and well thought, inspired from the roof tops of Paris. Grey, zinc metal (the stoppers are in heavy zinc) and old gold, the one you see on the top of monuments. APOM has its assorted scented leather bracelet with a plain silver magnetic clipper. A blast! I will definitely buy one at Xmas. Also loved their Incense Paper (manufactured by Papier d'Arménie) and the Aqua Universalis Laundry detergent. They call it "Lessive Parfumante" (and not parfumée), which makes sense as it is meant to perfume your clothing. The scent is very fresh and clean cut (white folwrers) and a fabric softener is also available.

Price range is unusual for a luxury house. It goes from 12€ (for les bulles d'Aghate, the scented bubbles) to 140€ (for the 200ML Colognes or the bracelets). The APOM eau de toilette I bought was at 85€ for 70ml. They were playing "Breakfast at Tiffany's" on a flat screen hidden behind a mirror, at the end of the gallery (one of my favorite movies). Their price range is a nice parallel to the scene where Audrey Hepburn buys a gift at Tiffany's with only 10$ in her pocket. Like at Tiffany's, you can pay 12€ or 8000€ (Kurkdjian also offers bespoke perfumes starting at 8000€). Everyone can leave with a small piece of Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

Ain't that real luxury? Anyway, a very refreshing view of the industry (far from the 250$ / 50ml black or gold niche perfumes) and incredible scents.

Bravo.

Welcome MHC - its good to see a newcomer to the boards jump two-feet-first and post such a detailed exposition! I personally look forward to more of your insights and contributions.
    You have whet my appetite to discover this line more - I have always said that if I had a silly amount of money to spend on a custom perfume, that it would be one of Kurkdjian's creations. I will be at MFK first thing next Monday morning when the doors open!

Seconding the welcome, and, it sounds like my kind of store.

Just as an aside, this info taken from fragrantica:
    The products will be available in the USA from October 2009 (Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman), as well as in Amsterdam, London and Paris.

Thirding the welcome MHC & thanks for the great review , I love that spot of Paris a walk from Colette, Hotel Costes & Palais Royal, I like the pricing strategy & what you said on the black golden bottles.

another cool review here from the Scented Salamander:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...aison_fra.html
    Last edited by tariq; 8th September 2009 at 02:00 PM.

Thank you for your welcome! I am passionate about perfume and just discovering the blog universe :-)

I was delighted to experience Maison Francis Kurkdjian today. He has a wonderful aesthetic, and although it might seem rather arbitrary at a first glance, there is a nice "red thread" tying his boutique interiors and fragrance / packaging together.

I sampled everything from the line today, and walked away with a bottle of Cologne Pour Le Soir (a 6.8 oz bottle), and four samples.
    I will write a full blog with photos about this lovely visit in the week to come.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 15th September 2009 at 07:41 PM.

Omg!!!!

I have managed to assemble some words and photos from my visit to this store last week!
    You can read about it on my blog (follow the link in my siggy).

I have just bookmarked your site Dimitri.

Your descriptions of everything that you saw are making me want to try some of the items, especially the scented leather bracelet. A fabulous piece of reporting, thank you for sharing.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Great work Dimitry. Thanks for sharing. Hope you enjoyed Paris!

By the way Mr Dove, what are your thoughts on Francis Kurkdjian? Will be honored to read your epert views.

Quote Originally Posted by MHC View Post
    By the way Mr Dove, what are your thoughts on Francis Kurkdjian? Will be honored to read your epert views.
    I'm not Roja, sorry. I just use one of his quotes as my signature.

Roja Dove

excellent review Dimi !

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    I'm not Roja, sorry. I just use one of his quotes as my signature.
    ))) that's funny

Thanks Prince Barry, MHC and Jenson!

We will travel back through Paris on the way home and stay one more night... I fear I may be paying another visit to the boutique.

I look forward to reading other peoples reviews of this line too - I am astonished at how much Lumiere Noir PH is similar to the ladies NRFHer.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd September 2009 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I look forward to reading other peoples reviews of this line too - I am astonished at how much APOM PH is similar to the ladies NRFHer.
    According to your reviews, and how you say it's similar to NRFHer, APOM PH is probably going to be my fave! I think you've cracked open the pandora's box of fragrance for me in the upcoming year Dimi

Can't wait until samples are available for order either from retailers or TPC...
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    According to your reviews, and how you say it's similar to NRFHer, APOM PH is probably going to be my fave! I think you've cracked open the pandora's box of fragrance for me in the upcoming year Dimi

Can't wait until samples are available for order either from retailers or TPC...
    Well, I adore the white musk accord in NRFHer as well, and Im tempted by LN PH, veeeery tempted...
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd September 2009 at 08:57 AM.

Dimitri, and what about Lumiere Noir - which one is better?

Sorry Dreamer II - I actually meant to write that it was Lumiere Noire PH that resembled the NRFHer (Ive gone back and edited my first post). Im still travelling and doing my best to recollect names and smells. Apologies!

It's difficult to a perfumer to create something totally new. Kurkdjian has already created variations on N. Rodriguez for her: Lanvin Rumeur, Juliette has a gun.

Not sure which JHAG scent you mean as I dont find any of them particularly similar, but I do agree with your insights re: Rumeur.

I find it interesting though, that this NRFH series of accords have now switched genders.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd September 2009 at 10:02 AM.

Not sure which JHAG scent you mean as I dont find any of them particularly similar, but I do agree with your insights re: Rumeur.

I find it interesting though, that this NRFH series of accords have now switched genders.
    I think it's Lady vengence - rose patchouli combo with N. Rodriguez for her feel

Basenotes Institution

We will travel back through Paris on the way home and stay one more night... I fear I may be paying another visit to the boutique.
    If you go, and they allow you, please take some pictures of the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    If you go, and they allow you, please take some pictures of the shop.
    Post No.15 above will refer you to see words and pictures on my blog Mike
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd September 2009 at 05:21 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Post No.15 above will refer you to see words and pictures on my blog Mike
    Oops, yes there they are. How charming it looks. ((jealous))

has anyone tried and reviewed Cologne Pour le Soir and Lumère Noire pour Homme..these sound intriguing and the best of the bunch

Quote Originally Posted by agml65 View Post
    has anyone tried and reviewed Cologne Pour le Soir and Lumère Noire pour Homme..these sound intriguing and the best of the bunch
    agml65 - Yes, I have. Other than the overview Ive posted in my blog (see my signature for the link) I dont think anyone has posted any other impressions as yet.

FYI - Neiman Marcus Beverly Hills has this in now..apparently exclusive there and Chicago Neimans as well as Bergdorf

Neimanmarcus.com now has the whole line avail on line..these scents rock and are some wonderfully blended

I adore Kurkdjian's Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDP and also Citizen Queen by Juliette has a Gun. Unique notes that are marvelous.

Alas, I am not due for a trip to Paris for awhile. My pals will probably first will drag me into the Gal. Lafayette, to be sure...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned

Looks like they won't be stocking the detergent & scented bracelets. So who's going to buy the $20 bubbles?
    Last edited by teger; 9th October 2009 at 12:55 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    Looks like they won't be stocking the detergent & scented bracelets. So who's going to buy the $20 bubbles?
    Cut Herbs, Cold Mint or Pear scented bubbles? Decisions, decisions.

Sorry Dreamer II - I actually meant to write that it was Lumiere Noire PH that resembled the NRFHer (Ive gone back and edited my first post). Im still travelling and doing my best to recollect names and smells. Apologies!
    I agree with Dimitri's statement - to my nose Lumiere Noire ph smells like a slightly less floral, less musky and a bit woodier, more crisp and brighter as well as more masculine, alhtough still very unisex version of NRFHer.

In APOM pour homme I detect some Viktor and Rolf's Antidote, Le Male and Gaultier G2. I got the Le Male + G2 connection only in the top notes and when the scent moves on to it's middle and base notes it gets more and more unique. And I wouldn't say APOM ph is strikingly similar to any of those scents - only that I detect some parts of those scents in APOM. Unfortunately my nose isn't so sophistacted that I could pinpoint the exact notes that lead to these connections

Just received my sample pack today from TPC. I paid for 1 ml of each of the seven fragrances, but TPC screwed up my order and only gave me 0.5 ml of each fragrance. Luckily the scents are good enough to keep me from getting all upset over it. I've sent them an e-mail in the meantime.

Onto the scents! Here are my first impressions:

Lumiere Noire pour Homme: This is a dark rose scent, but the dose of patchouli and cumin overpower the rose. In the base is a super creamy and dense musk, that smells to me like a mix of Prada pour Homme and Narciso Rodriguez for Her (like Dimitri mentioned above). It's a rather heavy fragrance. The overall impression I get is that this is something you would smell in dirty, trashy, yet super hip night club with black lights everywhere. I like this one quite a bit. 4 Stars.

Lumiere Noire pour Femme: This smells to me like Black Aoud but without the aoud. In other words, a spicy rose and patchouli fragrance. Not too heavy, not too light - everything is just right here. Very very good, and totally unisex. Those who like Black Aoud but don't like the aoud will rejoice with this one. 5 Stars.

APOM pour Homme: I really don't like this one. I couldn't figure out why, but then it dawned on me. It smells like a better quality and less "clashy" Antidote by Victor and Rolff. Ugghh - did they screw up my sample? This smells like minty lavender over way too sweet vanilla. I don't understand how there could be orange flower, cedar and amber in this. 3 Stars.

APOM pour Femme
    : Smells like a cross between Apres L'Ondee and L'Heure Bleue. A beautiful, cool and powdery ylang ylang and iris prominent fragrance. Great, but not very original. 4 Stars.

Aqua Universalis: A powdery and clean feeling lemon and lily floral over some clean musk and bit of woods. Smells very natural and not like your typical laundry detergent. The texture is medium to thick, and very gentle - nothing sharp here. This is a gem, but it's missing a little bit of character. I would love it if my sheets and clothes smelled like this. 5 Stars.

Cologne pour le Matin
    : This smells like a more complex and less herbal version of Dior's Cologne Blanche. Somehow I'm not surprised Kurkdjian released something so similar, as I always found Cologne Blanche to be the perfect Sunday morning fragrance. Anyhow, Cologne pour le matin smells like an almond scented baby powder, but with fascets of lemon, lavender, and something slightly herbal. Overall, it feels like a big comforter made of duvet - super smooth, fluffy, fresh and soft. 5 Stars.

Cologne pour le Soir: At first sniff, I realized this smells similar to something else I've smelled - to my surprise, this smells a lot like Dior's Bois d'Argent (which, to my shock, wasn't created by Kurkdjian at all!). Cologne pour le soir is a like a darker, more incensey version of Bois d'Argent, and so, I like it more than Bois d'Argent. I get notes of Rose, honey and frankincense. The texture is in between thin and thick, with the honey taking the front stage over the incense. This smells a LOT like a Catholic Church, but in the best way. It's smells like a dark and damp corner of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. In fact, it's so dark, I can imagine a vampire smelling like this - not to mention there's a slight metallic fascet to it that reminds me of the iron-tinged smell of blood. Probably my favorite of the line, this is really interesting and one of Kurkdjian's best. 5 Stars.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 27th October 2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Sales thread here

Thanks L'adventurier - I have been waiting for you to post your impressions about these for a week!

CPLS to my nose also has unusual powdery qualities - like powdered wigs or makeup(?) - and a strange sensation of soft cashmere or fur coats. There is something calming about it, though I do have to say I did like your "damp corner of Notre Dame cathedral" angle as well - I kinda get that too.

Hey Dimitri,

I'm sure you couldn't have been as impatient as I was waiting for your impressions from your trip to Paris.

I'm sniffing CPLS right now, and yes! I do get that powdered wig vibe/fur coat vibe. It's also verging on the smell of dry ice and wood from a stage - like the smell of a dark stage where plays and operas take place.

There's something so special here, something strange and beautiful. It's one of those scents that I have a hard time describing objectively. My mind is just overwhelmed with fur coats, churches, incense, blood, makeup. Hah maybe it's just the fact that Halloween is around the corner...! Either way, I also get a very strong emotional reaction to CPLS - it smells like a strange time from my childhood or teenage years - like a memory that I can't recall but I still feel. A definite buy for me in the future. How are you liking it so far Dimitri?
    Sales thread here

I adore it
    I wore it as my SoTD today, and applied it very liberally (in true EDC style). All day I felt curls of warm honeyed amber swell in the room around me... and this unusual "dank" vibe made me feel quite powerful! The fleecy/face-powder accords are just soooo interesting. They feel almost wistful - evoking a sense of nostalgia.
    It has lasted a good 8 hours so far. It is a scent with contrasts... I find it both comforting AND rousing.

APOM Pour Homme

APOM is a contraction of 'A Piece of Me", a bit of oneself that one leaves on others.

APOM is a inspiration that came from the beauty of men and women, from the harmonious colors and flavors of Middle East. APOM is the power and softness of Orange blossom and Cedar wood.

Notes inlcude:
    • Orange Flower
    • Cedar wood
    • Amber

2.4 ounces

From the man that gave us Eau Noire, these two are a major disappointment. Apom Pour Homme is so diluted, as without fragrance, it's not even funny. I just don't know what to do with this Jean Claude Ellena clone stuff. Hell, I can't even enjoy smelling myself, since it's so weak.

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme

Love the association of the words Lumiere and Noire (Light and Black), an attraction and repulsion.

A black hole lit with the image of a mysterious perfume that attracts until it provokes self-abandon. It is the idea of two opposing powers that unite to create a whole that relates, at its turn, a new story. The mention of this duality is imposed as an obvious fact, like the emblematic blend of Rose and Patchouli.

Notes include:
    • Spiced Rose (cumin, cinnamon)
    • Patchouli
    • Narcissus
    • Mugwort herb

2.4 ounces

Wow, these notes sound intriging to me. Just more watered down cologne. It reminds me of things "light' like Lite Beer, Lite this, Lite that. These are a watered down versions of the real thing.

Hey, Mr.Kurkdjian - I realize you never feel the need to wear fragrance, but I do. Your blessed with a great nose. Now go back to the lab and give us some fragrance.

I get to pay $130.00 for 70ml of designer water with a twist of fragrance. I think not.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I get to pay $130.00 for 70ml of designer water with a twist of fragrance. I think not.
    I'm honestly beginning to wonder how many of these perfumers (or at least their marketing people) are trying to see how far down the rabbit hole they can push us. Is there actually a legitimate market out there for paying $100 for a small bottle of what is basically almost entirely Artisan's Alcohol, as long as it comes with a video of a fashionably angst-ridden, clove-cigarette-smoking dandy reciting poetry about it in an affected French accent?

On the flipside, that which MFK is selling as Eau de Cologne seems to be stronger than any other stock standard EDC fragrance that I know of.
    Whilst you may feel the EDTs are somehow lacking Thebeck, Cologne Pour le Soir is a very tenacious cologne that will last 7 to 8 hours on my skin which to me, represents excellent value IMHO.

I actually appreciate how the line isn't overly powerful, synthetic or tenacious. It's a nice change for Francis Kurkdjian, who also created fragrant "atomic bombs" in the past, like Le Male, Fleur du Male and Narciso Rodriguez. I find that the scents from MFK aren't particularly low on oils, but just more ethereal in style than his previous work, due to a nice balance of naturals and synthetics.

I guess those who like 80s powerhouses and sillage bombs like Black Aoud probably won't like the line. But if you like to smell good without the whole room smelling like you, I definitely recommend the house.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by GGA View Post
    In APOM pour homme I detect some Viktor and Rolf's Antidote, Le Male and Gaultier G2. I got the Le Male + G2 connection only in the top notes and when the scent moves on to it's middle and base notes it gets more and more unique. And I wouldn't say APOM ph is strikingly similar to any of those scents - only that I detect some parts of those scents in APOM. Unfortunately my nose isn't so sophistacted that I could pinpoint the exact notes that lead to these connections
    There is some similarity (at least to my nose) between APOM and Reflection for men by Amouage
    Last edited by oboltus; 6th November 2009 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oboltus View Post
    There is some similarity (at least to my nose) between APOM and Reflection for men by Amouage

This has me even more excited!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

As I posted in a separate thread a couple days back, I bought the Lumiere Noire Pour Homme as Nieman Marcus here in Chicago. I've been wearing it to the office every day since, including right now! The stuff is beautiful!
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I just tried APOM pour Homme again today, and whaddya know, I really like it now. I think the reason I didn't like it at first was because it reminded me of Antidote - but now that I've really gotten to know it, I liken it to orange blossoms (they're subdued though), basmati rice and middle eastern spices over a slightly foody and vanillic base. Truly a great fragrance that has gourmand qualities, yet never gets too foody. I strongly recommend the whole line to anyone seeking something slightly different than the norm, with great quality ingredients and flawless blending.

With all the crap released these days, thank god there are releases like these recent ones by Francis Kurkdjian.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 11th November 2009 at 02:14 AM.
    Sales thread here

Aedes got their testers today and so I sniffed the entire range. I asked Miguel what APOM stands for and I thought he said "a piece of meat" - he corrected me and then we all had a good laugh.
    So far my favorite of the range is Cologne Pour Le Soir. I'm wearing APOM men and women on each arm. The men's APOM seems to have faded quite fast, the women's is still there.

I'll be interested to hear your extended thoughts on this line Ruggles. Especially how you feel the compare, quality-wise, with the Amouage scents you like.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'll be interested to hear your extended thoughts on this line Ruggles. Especially how you feel the compare, quality-wise, with the Amouage scents you like.
    Well, I can say right off the bat that the line smells much more 'designer' quality than 'luxe' quality. The men's sell for $110 for 50ml.
    Amouage, they ain't!

I was curious to see if that would be the case. I really love Kurkdjian's compositions but even those I love I've always felt were marred by being ostentatiously synthetic.

That price point though isn't that far removed from Amouage when you compare the 100ml prices. Or rather, even at "only" $110 for 50ml I'd expect a real quality fragrance.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 20th November 2009 at 11:42 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I smell very high quality workmanship, but so far, APOM, IMHO, smells about as high end as Fleur du Male or Narciso Rodriguez - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The orange blossom note reminds me of the one in Fleur du Male.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st November 2009 at 12:19 AM.

Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st November 2009 at 12:51 AM.

MFK samples arrived the day before yesterday. I went straight for APOM Pour Homme and after a few minutes found myself assoiciating to Serge Lutens' Fleurs de Citronnier which I previously have associated to Fleur du Male. It is more distantly related to SL's Mandarine Mandarin. I find APOM more transparent and woody - and the most wearable for men IMHO of the "orange blossoms" I've tried so far.

Last night I tested Cologne pour le Soir. Wow! It's the calmest / smoothest transparent "dark" musky scent I know of. The musky note bears a certain resemblance to the one used in SLs MKK IMO but there's other things going on pulling it away from MKK's outright muskyness - if that makes any sense. Very nice!

Now (this morning) I'm trying Cologne pour le Matin - am I picking up something anisic with perhaps angelica? It reminds me a little of La Via del Profumo's Acqua d' Angelica. I'm liking it too!

This is very promising!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    That price point though isn't that far removed from Amouage when you compare the 100ml prices. Or rather, even at "only" $110 for 50ml I'd expect a real quality fragrance.
    I think there are some misunderstandings here.
    First,there is no 50ml.The smallest size Kurkdjian is 70 ml , not 50ml.
    Second, the prices are more than ok, I paid for the 70ml (edt) 85 euro, which is reasonable to me, compared to Amouage which is 175 euro for 50ml (edp.)
    And I also read that FK didn´t want this line to be a "niche brand" .(give that man a cigar, we all know by now that " niche" is a load of bs by now, don´t we?)
    Last edited by eric; 21st November 2009 at 06:43 AM.