Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Just wondering if any of our Parisian members have had a chance to sample any of the Francis Kurkdjian creations from his new boutique that has just opened in Paris?
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Default Re: Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I've read that it will be opened on Monday. I am a fan of Kurkdjian so waiting for the news impatiently
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I shall be in Paris next week, and am DYING to explore these since reading about them on Fragrantica.
    Lumiere Noire Pour Femme and LN Pour Homme are ones I MUST try. I adore the scent of daffodils and love the way they featured in Vol de Nuit... it doesnt seem to crop up so often in perfumes (at least in a starring role).
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 5th September 2009 at 04:24 PM.

review of Lumiere Noire here http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/

it's interesting how it compares to Rose de Nuit, Rose Barbare and Noir de Noir
    Last edited by DreamerII; 7th September 2009 at 12:59 PM.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    review of Lumiere Noire here http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/

it's interesting how it compares to Rose de Nuit, Rose Barbare and Noir de Noir
    Oh, that sounds great! I look forward to getting to know this line.

Address of the shop?

It is located 5 rue d'Alger Paris 1 metro Tuilerie, 1mn from Hotel Le Meurice, rue de Castiglione and Colette on rue St Honoré. Great location! Yesterday was the first day the store was open, and I have been there after work. You'll see scented bubbles popping up in front, guiding you to the store.

The store looks great, and the window is just amaizing. It has a gallery with a 5m window with an incredible setting. A small paris with animated merry-go-round and other.

I loved APOM pour hommes (an oriental Orange Blossom / Cedar Wood accord inspired to Kurkdjian's from his trips to Lebanon). The packaging is very elegant and well thought, inspired from the roof tops of Paris. Grey, zinc metal (the stoppers are in heavy zinc) and old gold, the one you see on the top of monuments. APOM has its assorted scented leather bracelet with a plain silver magnetic clipper. A blast! I will definitely buy one at Xmas. Also loved their Incense Paper (manufactured by Papier d'Arménie) and the Aqua Universalis Laundry detergent. They call it "Lessive Parfumante" (and not parfumée), which makes sense as it is meant to perfume your clothing. The scent is very fresh and clean cut (white folwrers) and a fabric softener is also available.

Price range is unusual for a luxury house. It goes from 12€ (for les bulles d'Aghate, the scented bubbles) to 140€ (for the 200ML Colognes or the bracelets). The APOM eau de toilette I bought was at 85€ for 70ml. They were playing "Breakfast at Tiffany's" on a flat screen hidden behind a mirror, at the end of the gallery (one of my favorite movies). Their price range is a nice parallel to the scene where Audrey Hepburn buys a gift at Tiffany's with only 10$ in her pocket. Like at Tiffany's, you can pay 12€ or 8000€ (Kurkdjian also offers bespoke perfumes starting at 8000€). Everyone can leave with a small piece of Maison Francis Kurkdjian.

Ain't that real luxury? Anyway, a very refreshing view of the industry (far from the 250$ / 50ml black or gold niche perfumes) and incredible scents.

Bravo.

Welcome MHC - its good to see a newcomer to the boards jump two-feet-first and post such a detailed exposition! I personally look forward to more of your insights and contributions.
    You have whet my appetite to discover this line more - I have always said that if I had a silly amount of money to spend on a custom perfume, that it would be one of Kurkdjian's creations. I will be at MFK first thing next Monday morning when the doors open!

Seconding the welcome, and, it sounds like my kind of store.

Just as an aside, this info taken from fragrantica:
    The products will be available in the USA from October 2009 (Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman), as well as in Amsterdam, London and Paris.

Thirding the welcome MHC & thanks for the great review , I love that spot of Paris a walk from Colette, Hotel Costes & Palais Royal, I like the pricing strategy & what you said on the black golden bottles.

another cool review here from the Scented Salamander:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...aison_fra.html
    Last edited by tariq; 8th September 2009 at 02:00 PM.

Thank you for your welcome! I am passionate about perfume and just discovering the blog universe :-)

I was delighted to experience Maison Francis Kurkdjian today. He has a wonderful aesthetic, and although it might seem rather arbitrary at a first glance, there is a nice "red thread" tying his boutique interiors and fragrance / packaging together.

I sampled everything from the line today, and walked away with a bottle of Cologne Pour Le Soir (a 6.8 oz bottle), and four samples.
    I will write a full blog with photos about this lovely visit in the week to come.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 15th September 2009 at 07:41 PM.

Omg!!!!

I have managed to assemble some words and photos from my visit to this store last week!
    You can read about it on my blog (follow the link in my siggy).

I have just bookmarked your site Dimitri.

Your descriptions of everything that you saw are making me want to try some of the items, especially the scented leather bracelet. A fabulous piece of reporting, thank you for sharing.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Great work Dimitry. Thanks for sharing. Hope you enjoyed Paris!

By the way Mr Dove, what are your thoughts on Francis Kurkdjian? Will be honored to read your epert views.

Quote Originally Posted by MHC View Post
    By the way Mr Dove, what are your thoughts on Francis Kurkdjian? Will be honored to read your epert views.
    I'm not Roja, sorry. I just use one of his quotes as my signature.

Roja Dove

excellent review Dimi !

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    I'm not Roja, sorry. I just use one of his quotes as my signature.
    ))) that's funny

Thanks Prince Barry, MHC and Jenson!

We will travel back through Paris on the way home and stay one more night... I fear I may be paying another visit to the boutique.

I look forward to reading other peoples reviews of this line too - I am astonished at how much Lumiere Noir PH is similar to the ladies NRFHer.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd September 2009 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I look forward to reading other peoples reviews of this line too - I am astonished at how much APOM PH is similar to the ladies NRFHer.
    According to your reviews, and how you say it's similar to NRFHer, APOM PH is probably going to be my fave! I think you've cracked open the pandora's box of fragrance for me in the upcoming year Dimi

Can't wait until samples are available for order either from retailers or TPC...
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    According to your reviews, and how you say it's similar to NRFHer, APOM PH is probably going to be my fave! I think you've cracked open the pandora's box of fragrance for me in the upcoming year Dimi

Can't wait until samples are available for order either from retailers or TPC...
    Well, I adore the white musk accord in NRFHer as well, and Im tempted by LN PH, veeeery tempted...
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd September 2009 at 08:57 AM.

Dimitri, and what about Lumiere Noir - which one is better?

Sorry Dreamer II - I actually meant to write that it was Lumiere Noire PH that resembled the NRFHer (Ive gone back and edited my first post). Im still travelling and doing my best to recollect names and smells. Apologies!

It's difficult to a perfumer to create something totally new. Kurkdjian has already created variations on N. Rodriguez for her: Lanvin Rumeur, Juliette has a gun.

Not sure which JHAG scent you mean as I dont find any of them particularly similar, but I do agree with your insights re: Rumeur.

I find it interesting though, that this NRFH series of accords have now switched genders.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 22nd September 2009 at 10:02 AM.

Not sure which JHAG scent you mean as I dont find any of them particularly similar, but I do agree with your insights re: Rumeur.

I find it interesting though, that this NRFH series of accords have now switched genders.
    I think it's Lady vengence - rose patchouli combo with N. Rodriguez for her feel

Basenotes Institution

We will travel back through Paris on the way home and stay one more night... I fear I may be paying another visit to the boutique.
    If you go, and they allow you, please take some pictures of the shop.