Code of Conduct

Default Buying a fragrance solely to evoke a memory

I recently bought bottles of the original Davidoff and Jade East by Regency. These were the staples of my now deceased father and uncle respectively. I don't care for either fragrance, and will probably never use them in public, they have been purchased solely to evoke the memory of these important people. To me it has been as effective as looking at a photograph.

Has anyone else done the same thing?

Default Re: Buying a fragrance solely to evoke a memory

Yes, I did and still do. I met my wife when we were very young, and I was using Andron by Jovan during that time. The scent can never escape my memory of her. I am still trying to buy any bottle of Andron I can get my hands on. But most are fake or the juice have turned bad (bad juice could be fake, too). Andron always brings me back, to all the good old times and it is, one of the best scent ever made by any perfumer, bar none. With such a great scent, I can never understand why it was discontinued or why no one even tries to bring it back. Must have something to do with some kind of business legality.

I'll be getting B*Men and Jake for that reason.

I was wearing a sample of Terre d'Hermes last year when I asked a girl out on whom I had a big crush. The whole process made me feel so good that I had to buy a full bottle to relive the experience whenever I want.

Unfortunately the rest of the story wasn't as nice, so I couldn't wear Terre for a long time.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Plus

Bought Gucci Rush recently cuz it evokes memories of being a carefree undergraduate on a scholarship in the UK in the early 1990s. A girl in my lecture group was wearing Obsession for women that day and somehow when I smelled Rush for the first time, it was exactly the same smell I sniffed 15 years ago! (even if it was from a different perfume). So why didn't I get Obsession? I did but strange enough, it smelled different.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    Yes, I did and still do. I met my wife when we were very young, and I was using Andron by Jovan during that time. The scent can never escape my memory of her. I am still trying to buy any bottle of Andron I can get my hands on. But most are fake or the juice have turned bad (bad juice could be fake, too). Andron always brings me back, to all the good old times and it is, one of the best scent ever made by any perfumer, bar none. With such a great scent, I can never understand why it was discontinued or why no one even tries to bring it back. Must have something to do with some kind of business legality.
    Andron!! I wore and loved the women's version. I totally agree it was a great scent- would have stood side to side with all the musks, niche or otherwise, today.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

One of the things that sold me on C&S 88 was that I realized that was what I'd smelled all the time during my teenage years when I'd gone out in Camden (London) - I'd actually never consciously thought a lot about the smell before, just been vaguely aware of it. So for me it's very evocative of that time in my life. The only downside is that it would have been the vintage version I smelt as a teenager, and the bottle I've got is the reformulated.

I had a torrid affair with a married woman some years ago and she gave me a bottle of Jules on our first meeting. I wore it every time we met. I have a a very sweet smelling memory of this wonderful period in my life.

Yep I recently picked up a bottle of cK be just for the heck of it, to take me back to the beginning of my college days in 1997.

Morning Star

I buy oceanic fragrances (e.g. Profumum Acqua di Sale and i Profumi di Firenze Brezza di Mare) because of my memories of family beach vacations when I was younger. I also wear Paco Rabanne Pour Homme to intentionally annoy a particular golddigging ex-girlfriend whenever I'm reasonably sure I'll run into her at a social gathering.

Talking Re: Buying a fragrance solely to evoke a memory

I sought out Montale's Aoud line because of the memories of my time in Kuwait and Qatar. Walking through the incredible malls and souks and smelling the incense of the merchants and perfumed oils of the people walking by.

I was given some oud oil when I purchased incense and a burner but I didn't know how to take care of it and sadly it turned rancid a few years back. Black Aoud really brings those times back.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 6th September 2009 at 05:13 AM.

AromiErotici

xmen recently included a Pino Sylvestre in my package that I requested. It reminds me of 1981-1982 in my old Philly neighborhood.

It's good to remind ourselves sometimes of who we were.

Why not? I often find myself buying scents just because they remind my of a certain period of my early teens or young adulthood.

I relive my younger days through Paco Rabanne and Fahrenheit. My father wore Eau Sauvage and Azzaro; I have small quantities of both for that single reason...
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

My gf's favorite is DKNY for men (the original in the tall slender bottle, now discontinued).
    I have it in my wardrobe just because I like to smell it when she's not around.

There's one in particular that I would love to smell again except I have no idea what it's called. It was pretty much my signature scent when I was 17 and knew nothing about perfume, I think it might've had orange blossom in it and was citrus-y. My dad bought it for me in a British toiletries store in the UK section of Walt Disney World, which sounds a bit silly but I remember absolutely loving it and getting a lot of compliments. I wore it throughout my first year of university and I have a lot of happy memories associated with it, but clearly not thinking properly at the time, when it was finished I just threw the bottle out and never bothered with remembering the name. I often wonder if I actually did go back to the store (if it's still even there) if I could find it again based on my memory of it and if I would still love at as much.

I stumbled across my signature memory fragrance while playing around with mixing heavy thick waxy ambergris with an indian super amber. The mix took me back to childhood because it smelled exactly like the sweat from a hard ridden horse when the sweat mixes with the leather of the saddle.

I'm not sure if horses excrete musks or their own pheromones through their sweat but the fragrance is wild, free and very comforting to me.

4711 kolnich wasser is a smell of my gradmother house... i have this one in my collection as tribute to her. always when i smell 4711 i've got flashback from my childhood

Tommy "T" for him is one oof those fragrances that i have since moved on from, but everytime I smell it , it reminds me of being 21 in Los Angeles for the first time. I moved away from home to pursue my dreams and that scent will always remind me of 2002 , Christmas on the beach, and a broken heart. Funny, how a time that was so painful, years later I can look back and smile , and say that was a great time in my life.
    Last edited by blacklibran1; 7th September 2009 at 05:03 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I do this all of the time, although I much prefer to get samples or decants of these kinds of fragrances - since a full bottle is sometimes much more than I need to 'evoke' the memories I desire.

My most recent was when I bought a used bottle of Calyx by Prescriptives, a scent my mom used to wear. God, I love that scent - and it made me think of my mom (who lives in LA, and who I only see once a year). Plus it's just a great fruity scent.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th September 2009 at 04:04 AM.

nostalgia is the reason why I joined this site....i was searching for the fragrance(and the first fragrance I called my own) that I wore in the fall of 1998 during my freshman year in college. The fragrance was in the form of a hand grenade and got me consistently noticed by the opposite sex(which coming from my formative highschool years) a strange, brand new phenomenon to me....as I found out the perfume was - Arsenal......sadly it comes in a bunch of different color variations and i was only able to obtain Arsenal Blue and i dont believe its the same fragrance i have all the wonderful associations about.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com