Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default What does a 'vintage' bottle of Emeraude look like?

I am very interested in smelling vintage Emeraude by Coty. What does the bottle/box of this look like? The current bottle/juice looks like this:

Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th September 2009 at 09:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What does a 'vintage' bottle of Emeraude look like?

I just wore this the other day & it has a lot of umph, considering how old it must be. I don't know how old, exactly. Maybe from the 40's? Delightfully mossy chypre.
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th September 2009 at 10:26 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

I just wore this the other day & it has a lot of umph, considering how old it must be. I don't know how old, exactly. Maybe from the 40's? Delightfully mossy chypre.
    Thanks kumquat. Is that the extrait?

It would be fun to se pix of all sorts of Emeraude Vintages. I don't know the year on mine but here it is. There is also a very pretty that i have not photographed yet.

Last edited by Nostalgie; 6th September 2009 at 02:10 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Blog Entries

Yes, it says 'parfum' on the top. It's hard to see.

Nostalgie, That's a sweet bottle. It must be older than mine. Maybe the 30's? Gorgeous glass! It must be crystal.
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th September 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Nostalgie, Have you opened this bottle & used it? It looks scrumptious. If so, what does it smell like?

I wore Emeraude as a young teen in the early 80s. It was powdery and lovely

These are all apparently Emeraude bottles, how charming is the shoe!!

I found this photo on this site:

http://www.zensoaps.com/perfumebottles.htm

This blogger has an incredible perfume & bottle collection The Emeraude's are waaay down the page.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Institution

Thanks so much everyone. Now I know what to look for.

Well, If this is to believed, you can get a vintage bottle for a very reasonable price if you are willing to try ebay....and all reports have the vintage version being glorious, while the modern one, well....not so much.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Blog Entries

The modern one is horrid. And I didn't pay much for mine, maybe $20 at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Nostalgie, Have you opened this bottle & used it? It looks scrumptious. If so, what does it smell like?

The bottle was unopened, still sealed when I got it. The fragrance is very fresh. You know how vintages often have a a pungent off note for the first few minutes? Then they clear up? Well not this one.This one is is fresh from the beginning. I'd call it a greenish oriental, a cousin of Chypre.Not nearly as heavy in oakmoss as I would have expected. Yours sounds mossier, Kumquat.

Mine is is brighter than vintage Chypre (I have some that, too); quite a bit sunnier and more powdery, with a gentle ambery drydown.
    There is no date on the bottle. The bottle appears to be regular glass made to look high end. The glass stopper has a seam.
    The new bottle is truly inspired--at least it is not tempting, sine the perfume sounds like a disappointment.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 7th September 2009 at 01:48 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Basenotes Institution

Nostalgie, I'm assuming yours is a parfum too? Sounds wonderful.

This is one from the early 1960s.

The bottle on the left (with a screw cap) is the one I recall seeing as a child. That would be a splash bottle. I'd be thrilled to get one in that bottle with fragrance intact. It's edt, I suppose the parfum bottle would be different.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 8th September 2009 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post

The bottle on the left (with a screw cap) is the one I recall seeing as a child. That would be a splash bottle. I'd be thrilled to get one in that bottle with fragrance intact. It's edt, I suppose the parfum bottle would be different.
    The one on the right is the one I recall as well! I love seeing all these bottles.

Nostalgie, what a lovely description of your Emeraude. Imagine so many years later still smelling so great.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

The scent reminds me of classes in junior high, my best friend wore Emeraude and I wore L'Origan. I have smelled Emeraude since, but L'Origan disappeared from store shelves so it's been a long time... sometimes I am tempted to get a bottle for old time's sake, but can't remember what it smelled like exactly.

Basenotes Institution

I think my mom used to wear Emeraude, but of course I'm sure she never owned the parfum.

A little birdie is sharing a sample with me, I should have it soon and I'll post my impressions once I sample it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th September 2009 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think my mom used to wear Emeraude, but of course I'm sure she never owned the parfum.

A little birdie is sharing a sample with me, I should have it soon and I'll post my impressions once I sample it.
    Will look forward to hearing your impression of the vintage. The current one is unwearable. What a shame!

Well, inspired by this thread, last night I bid on a vintage set of Coty minis that includes Emeraude, L'Aimant and Sand & Sable, supposedly dating from the early '80s (and I found out first thing this morning that I won & nobody else bid on it, yay!). Bottles look like they've never been opened and the juice looks good, so for $10, why not? Sand & Sable is a summer favourite for me so I figure the mini can be a back-up, the L'Aimant I'm really looking forward to smelling again since it was one of the first "grown-up" perfumes I remember experimenting with and the Emeraude will be my first time trying, so good times all around.
    Last edited by Anna_P; 10th September 2009 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_P View Post
    Well, inspired by this thread, last night I bid on a vintage set of Coty minis that includes Emeraude, L'Aimant and Sand & Sable, supposedly dating from the early '80s (and I found out first thing this morning that I won & nobody else bid on it, yay!). Bottles look like they've never been opened and the juice looks good, so for $10, why not? Sand & Sable is a summer favourite for me so I figure the mini can be a back-up, the L'Aimant I'm really looking forward to smelling again since it was one of the first "grown-up" perfumes I remember experimenting with and the Emeraude will be my first time trying, so good times all around.
    Yay, Anna! Congratulations on your win! Don't forget to post back with your thoughts on these. Pleeeeze?

When did Emeraude go nasty? Was it still nice in the 70s and 80s incarnation?
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Lilybelle>Thanks! Will do I've been meaning to explore more vintage Coty scents as I've heard they were wonderful (I'd love to experience vintage Coty Paris, Chypre and L'Origan but I'll start with these two), so when I saw that nobody was bidding on the auction, I thought of this thread and figured it was serendipity *lol*